BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-06-09 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2910018

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
shmeeg - 2010-06-08 10:42 PM

Anybody know where to go for a quality lonnnnng term training plan?  I'm committing myself to doing a late season 2011 HIM.  I'm SOL on any sort of real swim training after the pools close for the season in the fall and they don't open before May here, so an early season race next year is out of the question.  And I think I need at least a year of swimming before I try to cover any significant distance.  Do I shell out $ for a 'coach' online?  Any opinions on Endurance Nation?  They're about the only racket I can think of off the top of my head that produces plans that might work for 15-18 months out.

I agree with Richard here.

I would break the HIM into blocks.  Basically, start at a sprint level plan, fall back, move into an olymipc plan, fall back, then build from the olympic plan by repeating the last month at higher volume-higher instensity following the 10 percent rule.  As you reach roughly 20 weeks from your target race, then enter your chosen HIM plan.

Since swimming is your weakness, I would suggest using a swim-specific training plan.  As for specific plans, I can't comment here.  I have looked into hiring a coach for creating a specific training plan, feedback, and instruction, but the cost is quite prohibitive.  I just can't justify a couple thousand dollars a year in "coaching."

2010-06-09 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2909796

User image

Expert
brick94513 - 2010-06-08 7:02 PM

David, do the Tri for Real Oly in August.  I think the course would be perfect for a first try at an olympic.

Sadly, we're travelling that week.  I'll be out there for July, but that is definately too soon.  And then again for the end of August races, but the only grown up tri they have that weekend is a super sprint.
2010-06-09 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2910461

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-06-09 8:46 AM

Anybody know where to go for a quality lonnnnng term training plan?  I'm committing myself to doing a late season 2011 HIM.  I'm SOL on any sort of real swim training after the pools close for the season in the fall and they don't open before May here, so an early season race next year is out of the question.  And I think I need at least a year of swimming before I try to cover any significant distance.  Do I shell out $ for a 'coach' online?  Any opinions on Endurance Nation?  They're about the only racket I can think of off the top of my head that produces plans that might work for 15-18 months out.

I would break the HIM into blocks.  Basically, start at a sprint level plan, fall back, move into an olymipc plan, fall back, then build from the olympic plan by repeating the last month at higher volume-higher instensity following the 10 percent rule.  As you reach roughly 20 weeks from your target race, then enter your chosen HIM plan.

Since swimming is your weakness, I would suggest using a swim-specific training plan.  As for specific plans, I can't comment here.  I have looked into hiring a coach for creating a specific training plan, feedback, and instruction, but the cost is quite prohibitive.  I just can't justify a couple thousand dollars a year in "coaching."

Tim/Richard, I'm still contemplating doing an HIM this year also. In your opinion, is 13 weeks enough time for me to get ready? I'm interested in your opinions since I tend to be unrealistic with my goals. I'd be looking to have a "respetable" finish and have fun.
2010-06-09 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2910515

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-06-09 7:07 AM 

Tim/Richard, I'm still contemplating doing an HIM this year also. In your opinion, is 13 weeks enough time for me to get ready? I'm interested in your opinions since I tend to be unrealistic with my goals. I'd be looking to have a "respetable" finish and have fun.

If you just want to do the distance without time restraints, then yes it is possible.

I assume, like Jay, your area of weakness will be swimming.  Do you think you would be able to complete the 2,112 yard swim?  Also, can you safely build base in the next three months to accomplish the bike and run?   Do you feel comfortable currently riding 50-60 miles on the road?  Have you ran a half marathon?

If possible, I would suggest trying a couple olympic distance races before then to get a feel for the distances.  The swim is only another 500 yards for the HIM.
2010-06-09 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Hehehehe....  I made sure my wife didn't see this before we went on our ride yesterday!  Damn, I hope I never come across one of these cats on the trail.  I've come across bear, coyote, rattlesnakes, bobcats, and every other animal imaginable, but this just makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up.
2010-06-09 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2910606

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-06-09 9:32 AM

Meulen - 2010-06-09 7:07 AM 

If you just want to do the distance without time restraints, then yes it is possible.

I assume, like Jay, your area of weakness will be swimming.  Do you think you would be able to complete the 2,112 yard swim?  Also, can you safely build base in the next three months to accomplish the bike and run?   Do you feel comfortable currently riding 50-60 miles on the road?  Have you ran a half marathon?

If possible, I would suggest trying a couple olympic distance races before then to get a feel for the distances.  The swim is only another 500 yards for the HIM.

You're spot on, the swim is where I'm worried. I think I could make the swim, but I've seen some HIM's with an hour cutoff. I may need every bit of that right now. I'm fine with riding 50-60 miles on the road, no problems there. A couple weeks ago I did a 50 bike/6 run brick and had some cramping 4 miles in. I have built my run miles (using the 10% rule) to an 7.5 mile long run. I feel comfortable I can build that to 13 in 13 weeks. I'm searching for an Olympic that comes in between that fits my schedule. Having a little trouble finding one right now, but still looking.

2010-06-09 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2910644

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-06-09 7:42 AM

You're spot on, the swim is where I'm worried. I think I could make the swim, but I've seen some HIM's with an hour cutoff. I may need every bit of that right now. I'm fine with riding 50-60 miles on the road, no problems there. A couple weeks ago I did a 50 bike/6 run brick and had some cramping 4 miles in. I have built my run miles (using the 10% rule) to an 7.5 mile long run. I feel comfortable I can build that to 13 in 13 weeks. I'm searching for an Olympic that comes in between that fits my schedule. Having a little trouble finding one right now, but still looking.

Since you are worried about making the cutoff, that would make the olympic all the more beneficial.  You could determine your HIM swim time from taking your split time per 100 from the olympic.   I feel the extra 500 hundred yards would have an inconsequential effect on the split times.  The 1,600 yard OWS should give you a good estimate for your LDS pace with the added components of other swimmers, sighting, etc.
2010-06-09 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
2010-06-09 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2910681

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

ha!!! I actually put the Lake Zurich tri on my calendar and forgot about it. That one looks promising! Thanks

I'm going to talk to my swim coach too and see what he thinks. Maybe, I should be realistic and plan on pushing the HIM to next year unless the Olympic goes surprisingly well.

Edited by Meulen 2010-06-09 10:36 AM
2010-06-09 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2910367

User image

Expert
Canada
brick94513 - 2010-06-09 10:21 AM
Meulen - 2010-06-09 5:39 AM
GoGoGo - 2010-06-08 8:13 PM  Do you have a specific workout plan?  Are you using a BT training plan, etc.?  Or are you just doing what you can.  Just curious.  Some people do better with specific plans & some do better free-lance.

I free-lance. Basically, I try to run/bike/swim 2-3 per week. I try to get shorter efforts in during the week and long runs/bikes on the weekend, with exceptions of race weeks. I am just now learning to adjust RPE according to what phase of periodization I should be in. Although, admittedly, going on group rides and out with friends can sometimes change the efforts I'm supposed to put out. If I look at the outcome of my free-lancing, overall, it looks very similar to most plans out there. I just adjust what disciplines I do where during the week, in my own way, to fit my life schedule and keep balance.

Yeah, but this keeps it fun. This is suppose to be fun, right?  I'll get caught up in the training regime, then go on a group ride on the trails and it puts everything back into perspective for me.

I agree.   When I am training with my running group or cycling group, it all changes.  I become a little competitive, but that is FUN.  I like blasting out on the bike, like my TT tonite...FUN.  When I run & cycle alone, is time to concentrate on HR, etc.

If I am doing long run with group & lead group goes a little faster, I am alike a dog chasing a bone...I can't stop!!!

Keep it fun & you will stay with it.  If it is work it will eventually get tossed to the side! 
2010-06-09 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2910515

User image

Expert
Canada
Meulen - 2010-06-09 11:07 AM
brick94513 - 2010-06-09 8:46 AM

Since you're asking...

I agree with Tim about Swim.  If you can do an Oly, HIM a bit more, but only 500yd.  Talk to swim coach.

Bike:  You have been biking about 31 miles most rides..very nice.  You did a 48 mile ride last month.  Not a stretch to get 56 & complete this part.  You speed tends to be between 15-20mph..good.  For an Oly you are in good cycling status.  For an HIM, you need to extend long weekend ride to approach goal distance.  This is easily achievable, I think.

Run...Here could be your downfall.  You longest run since you joined us in April is 6 miles.  This would be , again good for an Oly, but I would want to do a half Mary, prior to HIM.  I would want to be prepared & no surprises.  I would not do HIM, without a standalone Half Mary prior.  You have 13 weeks, you could easily get the distance in this time, with appropriate pullbacks.  You speed tends to be about 6mins/km.

So,

Swim...1 hour...if you could finish it.
Bike...2h50mins (56/20)
Run...2h6min...probably longer, assuming tired legs.

At least 6 hours.  Is that respectable in your books?  

Bottom line:  Do an Oly & see where you stand!  Then decide!   Run & Bike 3X per week!! 1 long one each!!!

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-06-09 7:09 PM

2010-06-09 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2911251

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
GoGoGo - 2010-06-09 1:15 PM

br />
Since you're asking...

I agree with Tim about Swim.  If you can do an Oly, HIM a bit more, but only 500yd.  Talk to swim coach.

Bike:  You have been biking about 31 miles most rides..very nice.  You did a 48 mile ride last month.  Not a stretch to get 56 & complete this part.  You speed tends to be between 15-20mph..good.  For an Oly you are in good cycling status.  For an HIM, you need to extend long weekend ride to approach goal distance.  This is easily achievable, I think.

Run...Here could be your downfall.  You longest run since you joined us in April is 6 miles.  This would be , again good for an Oly, but I would want to do a half Mary, prior to HIM.  I would want to be prepared & no surprises.  I would not d HIM, without a standalone Half Mary prior.  You have 13 weeks, you could easily get the distance in this time, with appropriate pullbacks.  You speed tends to be about 6mins/km.

So,

Swim...1 hour...if you could finish it.
Bike...2h50mins (56/20)
Run...2h6min...probably longer, assuming tired legs.

At least 6 hours.  Is that respectable in your books?  

Bottom line:  Do an Oly & see where you stand!  Then decide!   Run & Bike 3X per week!! 1 long one each!!!

Perfect analogy and helps me devise a great plan. Thanks Richard!!

To be fair though, my longest run since I've been with BT 7.5 last week

" 1h 13m 7.50 miles 09m 44s/Mi

4:30 PM

One loop slow with the wife, one loop medium pace. Got caught in a hail storm on the second loop. Ooooouch!!!"

Before BT my longest run was 10 miles. That was back in November last year before I hurt my knee. I've been building back to that slow since then.

Last season I did several bike rides of 75 miles. I have not been able to do that yet this year, and you're right, I need to!! But I'm not worried about getting that done.

My swim.....yikes!!! I swim about 2300m in the pool in an hour with little rests between drills and sets. I'm not sure what that tells me about doing 2000+ in one shot. I'll sign up for the Lake Zurich Oly or the Lake Geneva Bigfoot Oly within the next couple days. When I'm done, I'll know what to do, or not to do, next
2010-06-09 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2911301

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-06-09 11:26 AM

I'm not sure what that tells me about doing 2000+ in one shot. I'll sign up for the Lake Zurich Oly or the Lake Geneva Bigfoot Oly within the next couple days. When I'm done, I'll know what to do, or not to do, next

I think this is truely the best course.  If you can survive the oly swim, you will have huge confidence going into a HIM distance event.
2010-06-09 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2910055

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
GoGoGo - 2010-06-09 2:48 AM

I don't know of any this long.  I would find it hard to stick with a plan this long, as so much can happen.  I think doing blocks of 3-6 months & reevaluation & starting again works well.  Doing training cycles, with periodization.  You will eventually get there.  Throwing in races along the way, to gauge fitness.

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for, I didn't mean necessarily just training for 15 months straight.  I could definitely do 5-6 month blocks.

There are many 3-4 months training plans on BT & other sources that you could use.  These could be tweeked as you go.  

If you don't like to plan these things yourself, I am sure a coach would help you.  I expect they would structure a similar routine, though.

The BT "Gold membership" includes "unlimited online coaching support".  Not sure how good it is but seems economical at $85 for 6 months

I like building training plans myself, but I know jack squat about periodization and I would be concerned about not throwing in enough rest time and the big difference in my skill level in each discipline.  I'm not sure how to merry all them up.

Tim

Makes sense, that would take a lot of the guesswork out of it for me.

Oh I definitely will.  I am all for the 'work the most on that which you suck the most at' theory.  I just need to motivate myself to get up 4+ times a week NOW and start building some damn volume.  Even if it is just drills.  I am very frustrated w/ the swimming.  Seems like 1 steps forward, 2 steps back.  Couple thousand??  Hell no! I will have to research, but I was hoping to find something for like $3-400 for a year and some 1 on 1 sessions included.  Thanks for the recommendations guys.
2010-06-09 8:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Went for first swim lesson last night.  Looks like they are going to be teaching most of the things straight out of the TI book -- this will be great as I'll see the drills first hand and be able to work on them.  Started on our backs with flutter kicks.  Did I mention that I have no rhythm?  That I lack flexibility?  That I'm fairly muscular?  Instructor noticed all these things very quickly when I was 1/4 of the way down the pool and the other 3 in the class were done.  She ended up putting flippers on me to get the feel a bit.  By the end of the lesson, was actually moving.  Did notice a real increase in balance with all of the time on my back (does that mean ladies of the night are great swimmers?  Sorry, inappropriate commentary!!!).

Time in pool tonight was mainly on my back working on the kick.  Made some real progress.  Murder on the thighs as I've never kicked when swimming (hence my 3 minute / 100m time).

Finished swim and headed to treadmill for intervals.  Unfortunately, my hip would not play nice this PM.  Could have muscled through the work out, but was feeling the pain and did not feel stable so I shut it down.  Quite interesting in that I did 14.5 minutes and felt like I cheated -- two months back that would have been a solid work out!!!

Tim -- would appreciate any insights in to things I might work on drill wise for the swim.  In additiona to the flutter kick issue, still seem to be lifting my head too much when breathing / don't "glide" on opposite arm when breathing.
2010-06-09 9:17 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Do you guys ride on patched tubes or do you just chuck em?  I got a pinch flat today, dunked it in the tub when I got home and patched it w/ one of those cheapy patch kits where you just scrape the tube w/ sandpaper, peel and stick the patch.   Do I need to get one of those rubber cement kits before I can ride on that tube again or is the stick on patch ok?

2010-06-09 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2912291

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Looks like they are going to be teaching most of the things straight out of the TI book -- this will be great as I'll see the drills first hand and be able to work on them.

Lucky bastard, wish I could find someone to do that! Sounds like day 1 was a success!
2010-06-09 9:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Jay -- Agree that it's pretty lucky to find the class.  Hopefully I'll be able to get enough out of it to continue on with "self training".  Fortunately with where I'm at the gains should come pretty quickly.  One big positive after day one is that I feel like I can go quite a while on my back with no problem.  That'll be great in the OWS if the freestyle leaves me or just to rest if I'm tired.

2010-06-09 10:27 PM
in reply to: #2912334

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-06-09 9:17 PM

Do you guys ride on patched tubes or do you just chuck em?  I got a pinch flat today, dunked it in the tub when I got home and patched it w/ one of those cheapy patch kits where you just scrape the tube w/ sandpaper, peel and stick the patch.   Do I need to get one of those rubber cement kits before I can ride on that tube again or is the stick on patch ok?

I have ridden on them in the past with no problem. However, now I don't take the chance. I just get a new tube. They are cheap enough to change out and have the piece of mind while your far away from home with limited tools.
2010-06-09 10:37 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Wow, I'm shocked.  Race director posted split times and ranking for each discipline today.  I thought I had a really good swim and averaged 1:35 per 100, but only ranked 102/318.  Man, some of these guys are just plain fast in the water!  I know where I need to focus more attention!
2010-06-09 10:44 PM
in reply to: #2912258

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-06-09 6:26 PM

Couple thousand??  Hell no! I will have to research, but I was hoping to find something for like $3-400 for a year and some 1 on 1 sessions included.  Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Yep.  Most personal coaching services I've seen are charging $175-$200 a month.  I was paying $50 for half-hour swim sessions.  It's frickin' expensive.  How serious to do want to be?  I figure I'm never going to be racing at the professional level, so I'm commtied to taking lessons here and there and trying to struggle through the rest on my own.

2010-06-09 10:49 PM
in reply to: #2912334

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-06-09 7:17 PM Do you guys ride on patched tubes or do you just chuck em?  I got a pinch flat today, dunked it in the tub when I got home and patched it w/ one of those cheapy patch kits where you just scrape the tube w/ sandpaper, peel and stick the patch.   Do I need to get one of those rubber cement kits before I can ride on that tube again or is the stick on patch ok?

I keep the patched tubes for training.  New tubes go on for the races!
2010-06-09 11:12 PM
in reply to: #2912291

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
croixfan - 2010-06-09 6:46 PM

Tim -- would appreciate any insights in to things I might work on drill wise for the swim.  In additiona to the flutter kick issue, still seem to be lifting my head too much when breathing / don't "glide" on opposite arm when breathing.

You could probably benefit from using a pull bouy.  The bouy will allow you to focus on upper body mechanics while not having to worry about your hips or legs sinking.  Here's some drills you can do with the bouy:

Catch-Up Drill:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fszey7mJSb4

3/4 Catch up Drill:

Progress from catch to 3/4 catch.  To me, catch is an exaggeratted motion to get you to reach and rotate.  3/4 is more of a realistic motion.  With this drill, you start the catch when the hand in recovery enters the water.

Finger-Tip Drag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAqBSgMX3es

Right now, balance in the water is probably going to be the main component of your class.  I wouldn't bother with propulsion drills at this time.
2010-06-09 11:13 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Here's some freestyle breathing tips:

http://swimsmooth.com/breathing.html

2010-06-10 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2912459

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-06-09 10:44 PM

shmeeg - 2010-06-09 6:26 PM

Couple thousand??  Hell no! I will have to research, but I was hoping to find something for like $3-400 for a year and some 1 on 1 sessions included.  Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Yep.  Most personal coaching services I've seen are charging $175-$200 a month.  I was paying $50 for half-hour swim sessions.  It's frickin' expensive.  How serious to do want to be?  I figure I'm never going to be racing at the professional level, so I'm commtied to taking lessons here and there and trying to struggle through the rest on my own.

This is why I love Lifetime Fitness. I pay my dues, use the gym, go to spin classes, and if I want to get into the tri-swim or masters swim there it's only $75 every 8 weeks. It's a once a week course. The coach is available for emails and gives me workouts to do during the week when I'm not at class.

On a side note.....

I had a good night with a PR on a brick workout. Well, PR really because it was the first time I tried to do a tempo 5k as part of my brick. I passed the 5k mark on my run at 22:50!! My tempo was probably not at race pace but near it. So I was pretty happy with that, especially since I did hill repeats on my bike ride.

Edited by Meulen 2010-06-10 8:51 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108