Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2011-04-04 5:35 AM
in reply to: #3426406

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
JG_GreenCoast - 2011-04-02 8:58 AM

Did my university's free student Biathlon today and came in 8th overall.  3mi on the track (21:20) and 400m in the pool (7:00), and what I'm guessing was a 1:30 or so transition running from track to pool, losing shoes and watch, putting on swim goggles/cap, etc.  Overall time 29:49.  Not so bad but was a bit hung over and exhausted

Huge head rush jumping in the pool, wow!  Got kicked around by lots of people--good practice but i'm glad we swim first!

Great job on your race! My heart rate would be freaking out if I tried to run and then swim.

2011-04-04 5:37 AM
in reply to: #3423791

User image

Bronze member

popsracer - 2011-03-31 1:51 PM This is a lesson for what not to do within this plan and I am now regretting it. I registered for a marathon Saturday as I mentioned before. I feel that my overall fitness will get me through as I'm am doing it as a special "life" event and just want to enjoy the experience not to race the clock. But, it has thrown this weeks training into a shambles as I mentally prepare for what will be a very difficult challenge. I will probably lose most of next week as well. This was bike focus week and I really needed the bike time. Didn't happen. I'm already committed so cannot back out. Because of what I went through last year with major illness people have really rallied around me for this race. Much more so than the HIM I'm planning on doing. Most people identify and appreciate the challenge of a marathon way more than an HIM (right or wrong, thats just the way it seems). This is not the first time I have pushed myself beyond my limits and have always persevered but in the context of following this plan and doing well at the HIM this is starting to freak me out and I would never advice anyone to do this. I pride myself on usually being pretty rational but I am feeling a bit foolish.

How did the marathon go?

2011-04-04 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Akrenic - Congrats on a successful race and on accomplishing this goal. You've joined the ranks of an elite few that can call themselves HIM'ers!
2011-04-04 7:04 AM
in reply to: #3428163

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

popsracer - 2011-04-03 11:40 PM Congrats Akrenik. Glad you had such an awesome day. Thats quite an accomplishment that you've earned.

Bravo, Akrenik.  Great to see that after slugging through the race your takeaway is that you should and could have pushed it harder!

2011-04-04 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3428255

Expert
JoePetto - 2011-04-04 7:04 AM

popsracer - 2011-04-03 11:40 PM Congrats Akrenik. Glad you had such an awesome day. Thats quite an accomplishment that you've earned.

Bravo, Akrenik.  Great to see that after slugging through the race your takeaway is that you should and could have pushed it harder!

Seriously- you're a friggin rockstar!

2011-04-04 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3428104

User image

Expert
akrenik - 2011-04-03 10:11 PM

I'm alive and well!  Laughing  All I can say is you guys are going to have so much fun!!!  Wow!  It was such an amazing experience!!!  I listened to trigal and decided not to kill myself, but rather enjoy the whole day.  With that in mind, I just cruised the swim.  That is one thing I would do differently.  I just didn't know what to expect out of the rest of the day and I didn't want to blow it in the first leg. haha.  I was shooting for 40-45 min and came up with 39.  I could have easily cut that time down.  My advice is go hard on the swim.  You don't need your arms on the bike anyway! 

The bike was a beast.  My advice to all of you is to put in the miles on the bike.  It was a crazy hilly course and we had a horrible headwind, but all that would have been a heck of a lot easier if I had put more time in on the bike.  I gave it all I had and my time of 3:30 was exactly what I predicted, but I lost about 20 positions in my age group here.  Next time...no skipping out on those bike workouts!

The run was fairly flat.  Small hills here or there.  Physically I was okay, but mentally it was a bit tough.  I walked through the aid stations.  My pace was slow here, but I was happy with my effort.  My advice to all of you...don't listen to the voice in your head that says you are tired.  Your body has more left in it.  Dig deep.

The whole day was by far the best experience I have ever had racing.  Keep up the training everyone!  It is soooo worth it!  When you cross that finishline it feels so amazing!!

Congrats!  Great to hear you had a good experience!  That's good that in the end you felt like you could have gone faster.... it's better to finish your first long-course race feeling good at the end than to have gone too hard to start and suffer through the end!  Plus then it'll be easier to PR next time Wink

I definitely agree with you that the bike is very important!  Last year I think I took it too easy on the bike... But then the upside was I felt refreshed on the run and passed everyone I saw  But yeah, I agree if you put in the time on the bike, your run will end up much stronger!

2011-04-04 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3428104

User image

Veteran
akrenik - 2011-04-03 10:11 PM

I'm alive and well!  Laughing  All I can say is you guys are going to have so much fun!!!  Wow!  It was such an amazing experience!!!  I listened to trigal and decided not to kill myself, but rather enjoy the whole day.  With that in mind, I just cruised the swim.  That is one thing I would do differently.  I just didn't know what to expect out of the rest of the day and I didn't want to blow it in the first leg. haha.  I was shooting for 40-45 min and came up with 39.  I could have easily cut that time down.  My advice is go hard on the swim.  You don't need your arms on the bike anyway! 

The bike was a beast.  My advice to all of you is to put in the miles on the bike.  It was a crazy hilly course and we had a horrible headwind, but all that would have been a heck of a lot easier if I had put more time in on the bike.  I gave it all I had and my time of 3:30 was exactly what I predicted, but I lost about 20 positions in my age group here.  Next time...no skipping out on those bike workouts!

The run was fairly flat.  Small hills here or there.  Physically I was okay, but mentally it was a bit tough.  I walked through the aid stations.  My pace was slow here, but I was happy with my effort.  My advice to all of you...don't listen to the voice in your head that says you are tired.  Your body has more left in it.  Dig deep.

The whole day was by far the best experience I have ever had racing.  Keep up the training everyone!  It is soooo worth it!  When you cross that finishline it feels so amazing!!

[/QUO

great job!  what an accomplishment.

2011-04-04 9:09 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Arkenik, CONGRATS!! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I hope everyone hears what you are saying about getting the bike miles in! I believe bike fitness is extremely important to triathlon success.

2011-04-04 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3426883

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Gmax101098 - 2011-04-02 6:32 PM

The plan called for a 1:15 bike and a :30 run (rpe2), but I ended up going for 1:50 on the bike (the wind really slowed me down).  Due to some time and exhaustion issues, I have ended up with a 1:30 run scheduled for tomorrow.  The plan originally had a rest day between these two sessions, but I needed that rest day sooner.

Do you modify your next day's session, or do you still try to hammer it out?  Supposed to be a rpe 3 run (week 11).

In general, try to get the training in. That rest day in between is very important, but not critical. You can modify either distance or intensity based on how you are feeling.

2011-04-04 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3426277

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
cbrookhart - 2011-04-02 5:27 AM

I posted a question here last week and just realized I didn't introduce myself. Sorry.  My name is Christy and I'm training for a half in June.  It will be my first one.  I have done some sprints and oly and thought it would be fun to try a longer one.  I'm really excited and nervous.  And I have tons of questions. 

My question of the day is, how does RPE translate to a HR percentage or HR zone?  I have a hard time judging RPE.  It's easier for me to have a HR zone.

Thanks.  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Here is an article that will help you create your own chart. Hope it helps!

2011-04-04 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3428476

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
Tri Take Me Away - 2011-04-04 9:12 AM
Gmax101098 - 2011-04-02 6:32 PM

The plan called for a 1:15 bike and a :30 run (rpe2), but I ended up going for 1:50 on the bike (the wind really slowed me down).  Due to some time and exhaustion issues, I have ended up with a 1:30 run scheduled for tomorrow.  The plan originally had a rest day between these two sessions, but I needed that rest day sooner.

Do you modify your next day's session, or do you still try to hammer it out?  Supposed to be a rpe 3 run (week 11).

In general, try to get the training in. That rest day in between is very important, but not critical. You can modify either distance or intensity based on how you are feeling.

I did a run.  Unfortunately, the weather stretched the run to 1:45.  Terrible crosswinds and headwinds on my run route.  I also got my first sunburn of the year.  Yeah!!  Gotta get the sunscreen out.

2011-04-04 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

For those using the BT plan, how do you find the training is different using minutes instead of distances? I've always gone out for a 3 or 5 or 7 mile run, but the BT plan speaks in terms of minutes. Just wondering what peeps thoughts are?

Happy Monday to all. I'm supposed to rest today, but if the rain stays away, a ride may be in order! Maybe I'll just ride in the rain regardless.

2011-04-04 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3428135

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
Congratulations! It is great to get perspective from someone who has just completed a race! 5 weeks to go here and I am definitely getting excited/nervous!
2011-04-04 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3428208

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
trigal38 - 2011-04-04 5:37 AM

popsracer - 2011-03-31 1:51 PM This is a lesson for what not to do within this plan and I am now regretting it. I registered for a marathon Saturday as I mentioned before. I feel that my overall fitness will get me through as I'm am doing it as a special "life" event and just want to enjoy the experience not to race the clock. But, it has thrown this weeks training into a shambles as I mentally prepare for what will be a very difficult challenge. I will probably lose most of next week as well. This was bike focus week and I really needed the bike time. Didn't happen. I'm already committed so cannot back out. Because of what I went through last year with major illness people have really rallied around me for this race. Much more so than the HIM I'm planning on doing. Most people identify and appreciate the challenge of a marathon way more than an HIM (right or wrong, thats just the way it seems). This is not the first time I have pushed myself beyond my limits and have always persevered but in the context of following this plan and doing well at the HIM this is starting to freak me out and I would never advice anyone to do this. I pride myself on usually being pretty rational but I am feeling a bit foolish.

How did the marathon go?

The marathon went as well as could be expected. Actually I am so thrilled that I finished, I did not hurt myself, and I can still walk today (maybe even swim and bike a little). The weather was great with lots of sunshine after an incorrect forecast of rain, cold, and wind. We decided to walk for one minute after each mile and that worked very well. We also made sure to walk the aid stations so as to drink what we needed to instead of have half the cup splash up the nose. It was a great nutrition and hydration test with the gels working very well. I had no fatigue at the end just very sore legs. I'm mostly feeling it in my quads all else feels pretty good. My time was slow but that really wasn't the point. We just wanted to get from point A to B while enjoying the experience. The course was very beautiful as it snaked through a canyon along the Yakima River. I never thought I'd be able to run a marathon again after all the injuries and illness I've gone through. In many ways this was bigger to me than the HIM especially because I had to prove I could run a marathon before ever dreaming of doing a full ironman which is the single greatest athletic challenge I want to complete. After all I've been through I feel in my heart I'm an ironman and some even call me that but until I actually do one I am not.
2011-04-04 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3428848

User image

New user
Gallatin, TN
It has been very refreshing to focus on time rather than distance. Now that I am 15 weeks in, I notice that the effect has been that I am focusing on being able to go for a long time, rather than how far I go. Afterall, the long race is about endurance first, then speed. By training this way I have found a pace in my run that will be sustainable (I hope!) after the bike, rather than just going all out and running out of gas mid-way through. On the otherhand, I have found my bike distances going longer and longer in the same amount of time as I train more, and I know I would cut myelf short if I just focused on distance.
2011-04-04 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3428904

Expert

bill2059 - 2011-04-04 11:54 AM It has been very refreshing to focus on time rather than distance. Now that I am 15 weeks in, I notice that the effect has been that I am focusing on being able to go for a long time, rather than how far I go. Afterall, the long race is about endurance first, then speed. By training this way I have found a pace in my run that will be sustainable (I hope!) after the bike, rather than just going all out and running out of gas mid-way through. On the otherhand, I have found my bike distances going longer and longer in the same amount of time as I train more, and I know I would cut myelf short if I just focused on distance.

I really agree with this. With the swim program being measured in terms of distance, I think those feel the longest and kind of like a drag when you are counting.  Just want to get through the count.  I just use my average paces now and swim by time.  I think you're totally right and that time is much better when you have goals like most of us do of finishing.

2011-04-04 1:30 PM

User image

Expert
DV 1 - 2011-04-04 11:31 AM

For those using the BT plan, how do you find the training is different using minutes instead of distances? I've always gone out for a 3 or 5 or 7 mile run, but the BT plan speaks in terms of minutes. Just wondering what peeps thoughts are?

Happy Monday to all. I'm supposed to rest today, but if the rain stays away, a ride may be in order! Maybe I'll just ride in the rain regardless.

I was actually wondering about that myself!  I just started using the plan last week (though I was kind of bad at following it), so going by time instead of distance is still new to me. Today I went to the pool for the first time since following the plan, but forgot to write down and bring the workout.  I just remembered it was a 45 min swim, so I just made up stuff to fill 45 minutes.

Then when I went to log it, I saw that did a lot less than it indicated.  So, I was wondering whether 45 minutes is total swim time (so, not counting rest between sets) or total time in the pool?  Also, even if it was just swim time, I'm a slower triathlete, so there's no way I could do that kind of yardage in that amount of time anyways.  Do I just shorten the workout?  Or shorten the distances?  Do fewer sets?  What do you guys do?

2011-04-04 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3429131

Expert
yogachic - 2011-04-04 1:30 PM

I was actually wondering about that myself!  I just started using the plan last week (though I was kind of bad at following it), so going by time instead of distance is still new to me. Today I went to the pool for the first time since following the plan, but forgot to write down and bring the workout.  I just remembered it was a 45 min swim, so I just made up stuff to fill 45 minutes.

Then when I went to log it, I saw that did a lot less than it indicated.  So, I was wondering whether 45 minutes is total swim time (so, not counting rest between sets) or total time in the pool?  Also, even if it was just swim time, I'm a slower triathlete, so there's no way I could do that kind of yardage in that amount of time anyways.  Do I just shorten the workout?  Or shorten the distances?  Do fewer sets?  What do you guys do?

For the swimming I would focus on getting the distance in rather than the times.  Most people will not swim as fast as the plan is arranged, especially at first.  So, if it takes you 60 minutes to do the 45 minute one do it.  The distance here is more important.  For a run, use the RPE guideline to do the time.  So, if you usually go out for an easy 3 mile run at 10min pace, run 30 minutes at the same pace if RPE 3 or the like.  I do a separate run plan with much more speedwork and intervals, but the time is useful too.  Do your pacing, and you will get to know your capabilities and understand working out with these parameters much sooner than you think.

2011-04-04 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3428895

User image

Bronze member
popsracer - 2011-04-04 11:48 AM
trigal38 - 2011-04-04 5:37 AM

How did the marathon go?

The marathon went as well as could be expected. Actually I am so thrilled that I finished, I did not hurt myself, and I can still walk today (maybe even swim and bike a little). The weather was great with lots of sunshine after an incorrect forecast of rain, cold, and wind. We decided to walk for one minute after each mile and that worked very well. We also made sure to walk the aid stations so as to drink what we needed to instead of have half the cup splash up the nose. It was a great nutrition and hydration test with the gels working very well. I had no fatigue at the end just very sore legs. I'm mostly feeling it in my quads all else feels pretty good. My time was slow but that really wasn't the point. We just wanted to get from point A to B while enjoying the experience. The course was very beautiful as it snaked through a canyon along the Yakima River. I never thought I'd be able to run a marathon again after all the injuries and illness I've gone through. In many ways this was bigger to me than the HIM especially because I had to prove I could run a marathon before ever dreaming of doing a full ironman which is the single greatest athletic challenge I want to complete. After all I've been through I feel in my heart I'm an ironman and some even call me that but until I actually do one I am not.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a great experience!

2011-04-04 4:25 PM
in reply to: #3429293

User image

Expert
JG_GreenCoast - 2011-04-04 3:01 PM 

For the swimming I would focus on getting the distance in rather than the times.  Most people will not swim as fast as the plan is arranged, especially at first.  So, if it takes you 60 minutes to do the 45 minute one do it.  The distance here is more important.  For a run, use the RPE guideline to do the time.  So, if you usually go out for an easy 3 mile run at 10min pace, run 30 minutes at the same pace if RPE 3 or the like.  I do a separate run plan with much more speedwork and intervals, but the time is useful too.  Do your pacing, and you will get to know your capabilities and understand working out with these parameters much sooner than you think.

Thanks!  I'm definitely still learning the ropes of this plan!  

2011-04-05 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

Kind of quiet today :-)

Had a great swim this morning! MS was a 1000 sudo-time trial (went real easy) and finished in 17 flat (1:40). I negative splitted the swim doing the first 500 in 8:40 and the second in 8:20!

Want to run tonight but need to get back to the appropriate training days (running is for Wednesday for me), so I'll do a brisk hour walk tonight instead of running.

Getting back to eating right after pizza, snacks and more during Spring Break. Re-hydrated as well.....back to getting up in the middle of the night to pee. It was actually kind of nice to sleep through the night last week out in AZ. That dry air just sucks the fluids right out of you.

Question for today: The plan I'm following has lots of 10-15 minute runs after long bike rides, but no real "Brick" workouts; which I assume are more in the order of a medium to long bike and medium to long run.....as opposed to a long bike and short run. Should I modify to include these longer brick sessions or is a 2 mile run after a 35-50 mile bike ride sufficient?

2011-04-05 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3430860

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
DV 1 - 2011-04-05 12:58 PM

Question for today: The plan I'm following has lots of 10-15 minute runs after long bike rides, but no real "Brick" workouts; which I assume are more in the order of a medium to long bike and medium to long run.....as opposed to a long bike and short run. Should I modify to include these longer brick sessions or is a 2 mile run after a 35-50 mile bike ride sufficient?

The pupose of those 10-15 minute runs is more about getting your legs used to running after getting off the bike.  They are sufficient for that.  I personally try to do a 30 minute run off the bike at a lower rpe.  I think for a brick you should do a med/long bike with a short run or a short bike with a medium/long run, or you risk overdoing it.  Please correct me if that appears out of line.  I'm no expert, just read a lot.

2011-04-05 2:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

I only do minutes so I don't pay attention to distance.  I honestly don't even know how far I've gone.
2011-04-05 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I have a hard time finding time to do my long runs and long bikes outside.  I can do my long bikes and runs on consecutive days, but I'd like to have a few days in between.  Is it better to do a long run saturday and a long bike sunday, both outside.  Or a long run on a treadmill Wednesday and a long bike (outside) sunday?  Is it better to be outside or to have "fresh" legs?

Thanks

Christy

2011-04-05 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3430860

Expert
DV 1 - 2011-04-05 12:58 PM

Kind of quiet today :-)

Had a great swim this morning! MS was a 1000 sudo-time trial (went real easy) and finished in 17 flat (1:40). I negative splitted the swim doing the first 500 in 8:40 and the second in 8:20!

Want to run tonight but need to get back to the appropriate training days (running is for Wednesday for me), so I'll do a brisk hour walk tonight instead of running.

Getting back to eating right after pizza, snacks and more during Spring Break. Re-hydrated as well.....back to getting up in the middle of the night to pee. It was actually kind of nice to sleep through the night last week out in AZ. That dry air just sucks the fluids right out of you.

First, nice job on the swim, that's a great time.  Second, I'm going to ask, what plan are you following?  Obviously you will get the best answers, support, and advice in here if you are doing the BT one as that is what this thread is for.  Nonetheless, I think your question has an answer. 

If all the plan calls for is those sessions, it will not be sufficient.  If the plan calls for that early, that makes sense.  It takes a while to build up the fitness to get off the bike and run two hours and having that early in a plan could be a disaster.  Long bike and short run sessions will be productive but I think later in the plan (I'd say with around 4 weeks left) you will need to put in longer brick sessions.  These might take the form of a shorter bike ride, but a longer run.  For example, you may want a session where you are riding for 30 or 45 minutes at a high cadence and do a transition to a two hour steady-state run.  You won't want to do huge sessions of both at once as that is pretty severe over training and what you save race day for.  Look later in the plan, and if there are no long runs after any bike rides I think those need to be modified and built in.  You will have a seriously difficult time putting together 13.1 quality miles on race day if you haven't done long runs off the bike.

Good luck, you are asking good questions!

Edited by JG_GreenCoast 2011-04-05 3:32 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150