of 84

2011-10-11 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3719177

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED

older2533 - 2011-10-11 10:20 AM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I

That was funny, especially the bloody nipples at the end!

2011-10-11 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Master
Dallas
On a different note, I decided to pursue official level I coaching certification from USA Triathlon, so I'll be doing some training in the upcoming months and hopefully get certified by February.
2011-10-11 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3719364

User image

Master

ernestov - 2011-10-11 11:50 AM On a different note, I decided to pursue official level I coaching certification from USA Triathlon, so I'll be doing some training in the upcoming months and hopefully get certified by February.

Congratulations - it is clear it is a passion of yours...I think you'll do great!

2011-10-11 2:11 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ernestov - 2011-10-11 11:50 AM

On a different note, I decided to pursue official level I coaching certification from USA Triathlon, so I'll be doing some training in the upcoming months and hopefully get certified by February.

Very cool. What's involved?
2011-10-11 3:53 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Ok coach, a question.

I'm thinking of my races next year. (It's weird having nothing on the schedule).

I would like to do a spring marathon (I still am hoping to qualify for the 2013 Boston). Further, I'd like to stay local (defined by "I can drive there") for races. I'm also thinking of doing a Half Iron Man distance in the spring or summer. What is the minimum number of weeks between a marathon and a HIM, and does it matter which is first?

Edited by older2533 2011-10-11 3:54 PM
2011-10-11 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3719766

User image

Master

older2533 - 2011-10-11 3:53 PM Ok coach, a question. I'm thinking of my races next year. (It's weird having nothing on the schedule). I would like to do a spring marathon (I still am hoping to qualify for the 2013 Boston). Further, I'd like to stay local (defined by "I can drive there") for races. I'm also thinking of doing a Half Iron Man distance in the spring or summer. What is the minimum number of weeks between a marathon and a HIM, and does it matter which is first?

Great question.  Some things that I will struggle with this fall are planning my season out next year to include running events in spring, triathlons in summer, and running in the fall.  I don't think I have ever been able to get my hands around an effective off-season plan that incorporates early season endurance running races while preparing for triathlons shortly thereafter.  Also, if I take the plunge and go for a fall full marathon I think it will be even harder to plan.

2011-10-11 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3719612

User image

Master
Dallas

older2533 - 2011-10-11 2:11 PM
ernestov - 2011-10-11 11:50 AM On a different note, I decided to pursue official level I coaching certification from USA Triathlon, so I'll be doing some training in the upcoming months and hopefully get certified by February.
Very cool. What's involved?
Well, there's a weekend of formal training and an exam towards the end. If you pass it, that's it. Of course you have to have some prior knowledge, but it's nothing we don't know by now.

2011-10-11 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3719766

User image

Master
Dallas

chris2533 - 2011-10-11 3:53 PM Ok coach, a question. I'm thinking of my races next year. (It's weird having nothing on the schedule). I would like to do a spring marathon (I still am hoping to qualify for the 2013 Boston). Further, I'd like to stay local (defined by "I can drive there") for races. I'm also thinking of doing a Half Iron Man distance in the spring or summer. What is the minimum number of weeks between a marathon and a HIM, and does it matter which is first?
Yes, the order matters in this case. It would make a lot more sense to do the Half first, marathon later. This is for several reasons, but the biggest one is that the marathon requires a lot more specific training with a lot of running volume, the Half could be a part of that but not the other way around because your running would get in the middle of your swim/bike.

If I were you, I would break the upcoming season like this:

- 20 weeks (starting now) of speed and intensity with short duration. Start bringing the swim into the equation and those spin classes that you mentioned. Runs kept short but intense.

- 12 weeks of three blocks (2 weeks of build, 1 week of peak and 1 week recovery) increasing mileage but retaining some of the speed. The last two blocks higher bike mileage, with long rides on the weekend (3.5 to 4 hrs).

- Rest of summer: Triathlon season (mixing all three distances Sprint, Oly and Half). After the half, marathon run training (without completely cutting off swim/bike).

Do you want me to suggest nice races?

2011-10-11 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3720005

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ernestov - 2011-10-11 6:58 PM

chris2533 - 2011-10-11 3:53 PM Ok coach, a question. I'm thinking of my races next year. (It's weird having nothing on the schedule). I would like to do a spring marathon (I still am hoping to qualify for the 2013 Boston). Further, I'd like to stay local (defined by "I can drive there") for races. I'm also thinking of doing a Half Iron Man distance in the spring or summer. What is the minimum number of weeks between a marathon and a HIM, and does it matter which is first?
Yes, the order matters in this case. It would make a lot more sense to do the Half first, marathon later. This is for several reasons, but the biggest one is that the marathon requires a lot more specific training with a lot of running volume, the Half could be a part of that but not the other way around because your running would get in the middle of your swim/bike.

- 20 weeks (starting now) of speed and intensity with short duration. Start bringing the swim into the equation and those spin classes that you mentioned. Runs kept short but intense.

- 12 weeks of three blocks (2 weeks of build, 1 week of peak and 1 week recovery) increasing mileage but retaining some of the speed. The last two blocks higher bike mileage, with long rides on the weekend (3.5 to 4 hrs).

- Rest of summer: Triathlon season (mixing all three distances Sprint, Oly and Half). After the half, marathon run training (without completely cutting off swim/bike).

I'm looking at races, but don't see how the HIM first, marathon later works. The reason is that the marathon season is longer than the tri season because of the climate here. Marathons are in the spring and fall, and triathlons are in the summer because they want the water not to be freezing. The first HIM near me is on June 9, 2012. Any marathon after that would be in the middle of the summer, after given some reasonable rest time.

How's this for a schedule.

Fargo marathon. May 19th.

HIM: Either Liberty on June 9th (three weeks after Fargo), or Chisago lakes on July 22.

Sprint: Maple Grove Triathlon August 25. (5 weeks after HIM).

Twin Cities Marathon. October 7.

Training would be lots of biking on the trainer and swimming in the pool over the winter, more toward running before the marathon, then back on the bike after the Fargo marathon.
2011-10-11 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3720074

User image

Master
Dallas
chris2533 - 2011-10-11 8:11 PM
ernestov - 2011-10-11 6:58 PM

I'm looking at races, but don't see how the HIM first, marathon later works. The reason is that the marathon season is longer than the tri season because of the climate here. Marathons are in the spring and fall, and triathlons are in the summer because they want the water not to be freezing. The first HIM near me is on June 9, 2012. Any marathon after that would be in the middle of the summer, after given some reasonable rest time. How's this for a schedule. Fargo marathon. May 19th. HIM: Either Liberty on June 9th (three weeks after Fargo), or Chisago lakes on July 22. Sprint: Maple Grove Triathlon August 25. (5 weeks after HIM). Twin Cities Marathon. October 7. Training would be lots of biking on the trainer and swimming in the pool over the winter, more toward running before the marathon, then back on the bike after the Fargo marathon.
That schedule would work with the exception of the half three weeks after a marathon. That is not a good choice (being your first half). The trick is going to be getting ready for a marathon with all the conditioning you still have to do for bike and run.

Your season (with the cold weather) is really hard to plan. You don't have much of a window for peaking on both if they're that close together. I would almost say skip Fargo and wait until Twin Cities, but I also know you're hungry for that BQ...

How's the Fargo course? flattish?

2011-10-11 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3720169

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ernestov - 2011-10-11 9:18 PM

I would not say that it is flattish. I would say that it is flat. 135 feet of total elevation change officially, but everyone says it is flat as a pancake and fast. (Winds can be a problem).

I agree about 3 weeks being not enough time to from a marathon to a HIM, but Chisago Lakes HIM is 9 weeks after the Fargo marathon. That seems doable.

2011-10-11 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3720194

User image

Master
Dallas
chris2533 - 2011-10-11 9:31 PM
ernestov - 2011-10-11 9:18 PM

I would not say that it is flattish. I would say that it is flat. 135 feet of total elevation change officially, but everyone says it is flat as a pancake and fast. (Winds can be a problem). I agree about 3 weeks being not enough time to from a marathon to a HIM, but Chisago Lakes HIM is 9 weeks after the Fargo marathon. That seems doable.
Well, that is it then. 135ft of total change is NOTHING, even if it's all in one climb over 1/2 mile it is still considered flat.

Nine weeks is actually perfect, you could rest for a couple, do a couple of hard blocks, taper and have a good race. Your (hard earned) marathon experience, a flatter course and the added fitness of the next few months can put you in a good spot for your BQ. Now all you need to do is sign up! 

2011-10-12 7:55 AM

User image

Master

Ernesto:

Wondering if you'd be willing to help me with planning a 2012 schedule, etc.  I suffer from the same climate limitations that Chris does.  My goals for 2012 are to get back to doing triathlons (I would like to race an olympic distance race in 2012) and if possible complete a full marathon.  My issue is that the race I would look to do the olympic distance in is late in the season (Sept) and the marathon would be a bit less than one month later.  I'm unsure how I would layer the training for those two on top of one another.  Here are the races I would contemplate doing with priority (A,B,C) denoted:

(C) April 14, 2012 - Martian Half Marathon (flattish)

(B) May 20, 2012 (est.) - Grosse Ile Duathlon (5k run, 20k bike, 5k run)

(A) June 3, 2012 - Dexter Half Marathon (hilly)

(A) June 17, 2012 - Big Fish Sprint Triathlon (500M swim, 12.4 mile bike, 5k run)

(B) Aug 26, 2012 - TRI (Holly Michigan) - 1000M swim, 18 mile bike, 5.5 mile trail run (this one intrigued me because of the tweener distance between a sprint and oly)

(B) Sept 8, 2012 - Run Woodstock - will likely pace my friend again on last leg, 16.67 hilly trail run at slow pace

(A) Sept 23, 2012 - MI Tri Championship - Oly Distance - 1.5k swim, 40k bike, 10k run - very flat

(B) Mid Oct, 2012 - Detroit Full Marathon - I want to do a full but recognize it may not fit in 2012?

(B) Thanksgiving 2012 - Turkey Trot 10k

I recognize that it would be a very full season and that I would have to prioritize which events I wanted to race and which were more practice or less important.  I am a linear individual in that I want to get to longer distances but need to go in steps to ensure I feel comfortable with the goal.  As stated in previous message my issues are how to layer in the different types of training (training for longer running events while preparing for triathlons).  Any input or thoughts are very much appreciated - I understand you are doing this in your free time which if you are like me doesn't really exist. 

2011-10-12 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3720465

User image

Master
Dallas
dangremond - 2011-10-12 7:55 AM

Ernesto:

Wondering if you'd be willing to help me with planning a 2012 schedule, etc.  I suffer from the same climate limitations that Chris does.  My goals for 2012 are to get back to doing triathlons (I would like to race an olympic distance race in 2012) and if possible complete a full marathon.  My issue is that the race I would look to do the olympic distance in is late in the season (Sept) and the marathon would be a bit less than one month later.  I'm unsure how I would layer the training for those two on top of one another.  Here are the races I would contemplate doing with priority (A,B,C) denoted:

(A) June 17, 2012 - Big Fish Sprint Triathlon (500M swim, 12.4 mile bike, 5k run)

(B) Aug 26, 2012 - TRI (Holly Michigan) - 1000M swim, 18 mile bike, 5.5 mile trail run (this one intrigued me because of the tweener distance between a sprint and oly)

(B) Sept 8, 2012 - Run Woodstock - will likely pace my friend again on last leg, 16.67 hilly trail run at slow pace

(A) Sept 23, 2012 - MI Tri Championship - Oly Distance - 1.5k swim, 40k bike, 10k run - very flat

(B) Mid Oct, 2012 - Detroit Full Marathon - I want to do a full but recognize it may not fit in 2012?

I recognize that it would be a very full season and that I would have to prioritize which events I wanted to race and which were more practice or less important.  I am a linear individual in that I want to get to longer distances but need to go in steps to ensure I feel comfortable with the goal.  As stated in previous message my issues are how to layer in the different types of training (training for longer running events while preparing for triathlons).  Any input or thoughts are very much appreciated - I understand you are doing this in your free time which if you are like me doesn't really exist. 

It's actually doable, but why would you call a full marathon a "B" race? The triathlons that you want to do would not interfere with the run training at all. I'd say go full steam into it and use the September 8th race as just another long run...
2011-10-12 1:25 PM
in reply to: #3720871

User image

Master
ernestov - 2011-10-12 11:48 AM
dangremond - 2011-10-12 7:55 AM

Ernesto:

It's actually doable, but why would you call a full marathon a "B" race? The triathlons that you want to do would not interfere with the run training at all. I'd say go full steam into it and use the September 8th race as just another long run...

Completely get your question.  I put it as a B only because if it needed to wait a year to go for the full it could.  I would then look at doing the half marathon again on that date or replace it with a another local half 2 weeks earlier.  If I decide to do the full marathon it will be an A race.  Will look for any guidance on how to balance an A race Oly 1 month before an A race full marathon (I would be a virgin at both distances).

When you have trained for endurance running events alongside triathlons how have you managed the bike and run against one another.  I tried two seasons ago to train for the Martian Half Marathon and struggled with volume for the half alongside bike workouts.  (I ended up battling nagging run related injuries and didn't do the run.)  Do you replace some of the medium distance easy runs with bike workouts? 

If I construct a training plan for the season would you be willing to critique, etc.?  I assume that the best place to start is to solidify A races and then plan backwards from those events?  So in my mind start at the full marathon at the end of the year and plan backwards layering on training plans and then tweeking for B and C races? 

Edited by dangremond 2011-10-12 2:20 PM
2011-10-12 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3721119

User image

Master
Dallas

Completely get your question.  I put it as a B only because if it needed to wait a year to go for the full it could.  I would then look at doing the half marathon again on that date or replace it with a another local half 2 weeks earlier.  If I decide to do the full marathon it will be an A race.  Will look for any guidance on how to balance an A race Oly 1 month before an A race full marathon (I would be a virgin at both distances).

When you have trained for endurance running events alongside triathlons how have you managed the bike and run against one another.  I tried two seasons ago to train for the Martian Half Marathon and struggled with volume for the half alongside bike workouts.  (I ended up battling nagging run related injuries and didn't do the run.)  Do you replace some of the medium distance easy runs with bike workouts?  If I construct a training plan for the season would you be willing to critique, etc.?

Well, maybe you got injured because of not training slow enough. I have noticed that you tend to go anaerobic quite a bit and from my experience, you can't have them both (at least in the same workout). The result will always be exhaustion and injury may be added on top. Use the winter to get fast, you have to shorten your runs anyway to avoid freezing, right? And the trainer is unbearable for anything longer than one hour, so you might as well go hard on both.

One thing though... Doing speedwork on cold muscles (running) could be disastrous, YOU DO HAVE TO WARM UP (NOT STRETCH) for 15 minutes or so. If you have a treadmill, get on it for that period and then hit the track or just run out the door.

I don't mind looking at your training plan and telling you what I think about it. But like I said, next three or four months, get fast! THEN build your base.

2011-10-12 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3721327

User image

Master
ernestov - 2011-10-12 2:22 PM

When you have trained for endurance running events alongside triathlons how have you managed the bike and run against one another.  I tried two seasons ago to train for the Martian Half Marathon and struggled with volume for the half alongside bike workouts.  (I ended up battling nagging run related injuries and didn't do the run.)  Do you replace some of the medium distance easy runs with bike workouts?  If I construct a training plan for the season would you be willing to critique, etc.?

Well, maybe you got injured because of not training slow enough. I have noticed that you tend to go anaerobic quite a bit and from my experience, you can't have them both (at least in the same workout). The result will always be exhaustion and injury may be added on top. Use the winter to get fast, you have to shorten your runs anyway to avoid freezing, right? And the trainer is unbearable for anything longer than one hour, so you might as well go hard on both.

One thing though... Doing speedwork on cold muscles (running) could be disastrous, YOU DO HAVE TO WARM UP (NOT STRETCH) for 15 minutes or so. If you have a treadmill, get on it for that period and then hit the track or just run out the door.

I don't mind looking at your training plan and telling you what I think about it. But like I said, next three or four months, get fast! THEN build your base.

Ernesto:

I competely agree with and have been trying to (and getting better at) do more consistent aerobic training.  If you compare long runs from 2010 to 2011 I am running about 1 min/mile slower and 10 beats per minute lower.  Goal has been to keep in zone 2.  Believe it or not you have slowly been getting through my thick skull.

I plan on doing the Jorge Cycling program again and in addition to that (if I'm hearing you correct) I should move from longer and slower to shorter and faster on runs.  I'm running a 10K on Thanksgiving that will be an A race for me but am considering starting the cycling program in early November and tailoring it to fit my run prep for the 10K.  Thanks for the feedback!

2011-10-13 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Dallas

I just read this tweet from MACCA (about fun workouts). Here goes one:

- 1 hour run (total) 15' WU 4-3-2-1-1-2-3-4 at threshold with one minute recoveries in between and 15' WD.

I'm gonna try it today, sounds hard and fun!

2011-10-13 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3722552

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ernestov - 2011-10-13 10:54 AM

- 1 hour run (total) 15' WU 4-3-2-1-1-2-3-4 at threshold with one minute recoveries in between and 15' WD.

Is that in Australian? Cause I don't speak Australian.
2011-10-13 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3722552

User image

Master

That only adds up to 57 minutes...I think it needs to be 15'WU 4-3-2-1-1-1-2-3-4 15' WD...otherwise you're cheating yourself. 

On a serious note - define threshold?  Guessing it is pace based because of lag in HR especially in short intervals....5K pace?  10K Pace?  I'm guessing closer to 5K?

(everyone should know red font is "sarcastic"...just me being silly)

Edited by dangremond 2011-10-13 3:30 PM
2011-10-13 12:57 PM

User image

Master

Membership question:

I was a member a couple years ago and am contemplating for upcoming season.  For those of the group that are members what is the top three benefits you perceive from your membership.  Also, I can't recall but at what level can you enter your own planned workouts in the training log?  I can't decide if I want to use the built-in plans or input my own.  I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Thanks!

2011-10-13 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3722653

User image

Master
Dallas
chris2533 - 2011-10-13 11:50 AM

Ok, it is actually sixteen minutes of warm up, four at threshold/VO2 Max pace, one recovery and then descending all the way down to one minute all out by one minute recovery. The second half of the workout is exactly the opposite and you finish with a 16' warm down.

I just did it, it was fun and pain, all in one. I really enjoyed this one, highly reccomend it.

2011-10-13 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3722892

User image

Master
ernestov - 2011-10-13 2:10 PM
chris2533 - 2011-10-13 11:50 AM

Ok, it is actually sixteen minutes of warm up, four at threshold/VO2 Max pace, one recovery and then descending all the way down to one minute all out by one minute recovery. The second half of the workout is exactly the opposite and you finish with a 16' warm down.

I just did it, it was fun and pain, all in one. I really enjoyed this one, highly reccomend it.

If you like fun and pain check out Jorge's winter cycling plan...it should be right up your alley!  He has these fun 6 x 4' workouts where each week you're adding watts onto your peak interval from the last week.  I don't have powerhub or equivalent for my bike yet but use my kurt kinetic trainer and a spreadsheet to dial into my power output.  He is coming out with version 4 of his plan soon.

Edited by dangremond 2011-10-13 3:28 PM
2011-10-15 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

ernestov - 2011-10-11 10:50 AM On a different note, I decided to pursue official level I coaching certification from USA Triathlon, so I'll be doing some training in the upcoming months and hopefully get certified by February.

Congratulations Ernesto on your decision to become a Level 1 certified coach!  This is something you are obviously very good at and have a passion for, so it makes a lot of sense and you'll do great!  Hopefully there is an ROI on this for you in the future (other than the satisfaction) and it does not become something like the PADI certifications for diving (or as we used to call them, Pay Another Dollar Immediately)  

2011-10-15 6:10 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

In terms of marathon recovery, I spent Monday and Tuesday after the race relaxing and walking (a lot) through the beautiful streets of downtown Chicago.  It was kind of funny to see how sore my legs were, but even funnier to see how many people were in the same boat, especially when going up or down the stairs.

I tried to go for an easy run on Thursday morning and after about 5 minutes I developed such an intense knee pain that I had to walk back home.  So running I guess was not a good idea yet and I ended up doing an easy bike ride at night.  It is incredible that energy wise, I feel like I could run another marathon right now and am craving to go out and train, but my body does not seem to agree yet.  

Ernesto and gang, any advice on recovery and follow-on training?

Separately, big congratulations to Jackie on the wedding of her daughter which is taking place today!  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84