Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2011-01-28 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3327281

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
Mrschach - 2011-01-28 1:36 PM A friend of mine is a professor at the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia.  She has offered up testing in the Bod Pod to me several times and I am finally taking her up on the offer.  If you are not familiar, it is supposed to be the most accurate in testing of body composition.  Should be interesting!

Let me know what you think.  We have a local gym here that has one and offers the service for $50.

2011-01-28 6:25 PM
in reply to: #3327472

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2011-01-28 3:09 PM
Mrschach - 2011-01-28 1:36 PM A friend of mine is a professor at the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia.  She has offered up testing in the Bod Pod to me several times and I am finally taking her up on the offer.  If you are not familiar, it is supposed to be the most accurate in testing of body composition.  Should be interesting!

Let me know what you think.  We have a local gym here that has one and offers the service for $50.

I am nervous.  I am going to hit up a running store and then see John at work.  I told him I may be in tears but I need to do this!!  When she offered it up to the ladies in my mom's group, she said it is a $35 value.  I don't know if they offer the service and charge people or what.  She said it will give me all kinds of info.
2011-01-28 6:25 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Okay, so think about the worst thing that could happen to you on your last day at work.  That happened to me times 1,000,000 today.  AWFUL.

Long story short, I'm training my replacement on Tuesday, but since he says it's not "working," I'm not getting paid for it.  It was a blowout, consisting of him calling me ungrateful and a pest because I asked about compensation for Tuesday. 

There are so many more details, it's ridiculous, but I thought you guys should have a little look inside why I'm so happy to be (almost) done there...
2011-01-28 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3327810

User image

Expert
South Jersey
SoccerGK - 2011-01-28 6:25 PM Okay, so think about the worst thing that could happen to you on your last day at work.  That happened to me times 1,000,000 today.  AWFUL.

Long story short, I'm training my replacement on Tuesday, but since he says it's not "working," I'm not getting paid for it.  It was a blowout, consisting of him calling me ungrateful and a pest because I asked about compensation for Tuesday. 

There are so many more details, it's ridiculous, but I thought you guys should have a little look inside why I'm so happy to be (almost) done there...

And that is when I would tell your boss to have fun training the replacement himself.  Why did he wait until after your end date to train someone?
2011-01-28 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3327831

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Mrschach - 2011-01-28 6:46 PM
SoccerGK - 2011-01-28 6:25 PM Okay, so think about the worst thing that could happen to you on your last day at work.  That happened to me times 1,000,000 today.  AWFUL.

And that is when I would tell your boss to have fun training the replacement himself.  Why did he wait until after your end date to train someone?

Unfortunately Meggan, it's SO much more complicated than that with him.  He has a BIG name in the area, so I kind of had to back down in order to keep him as a good reference.  Even if he is in the wrong (majorly), he could really put a target on me in the area. 

I gave him a memo on January 3 that my last day would be January 28, but if the person he was hiring didn't want to start until the 31st, I would be willing to come in and train him on that date.  My boss took THAT as me saying I would train him for free "out of the goodness of my heart."  Not sure how he got that... 

OH, and he waited so long to hire someone because he honestly thought I would just keep working until he found the perfect candidate.  It wasn't until this week when I started talking about my other job that a fire was lit under his rear.
2011-01-29 5:42 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Yeah, I kinda figured the whole reference thing was a big part of it.  Hope it goes well and it is only one day.

2011-01-30 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
How is everybody's HIM training going!?!?  I'm excited!

Did pretty well in my TTT yesterday.  My team came in 12th out of 16, which wasn't bad considering we were just kinda thrown together here on BT and some of those teams were major roadies.  This one guy was averaging like 340 watts on a hilly course, and he didn't even look like he was trying.  Another guy averaged like almost 25 mph over 30 minutes.  Unbelievable.  I finished with 9.65 miles for an average of 19.3 mph.  I was happy with that overall, but a little bummed because I felt really good going into it.  I started out averaging about 20+ and I nailed my nutrition for the ride, but the building was SO hot.  People were literally melting, and my heart rate was over 180, easily.  My HR is never that high.  So I started fading fast. 

I tried bribing the guy next to me to go slower to make me look better, but apparently, he wouldn't accept cash!  He didn't think that was as funny as I did!
2011-01-30 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3329323

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Good job Erica, silly the guy couldn't see the humor in a good ole fashioned bribe:p  and your now former boss, sounds like a super , you gave him 2 weeks notice and he wanted 4 and you gave it to him and now he wants you to train your replacement after you are no longer working for him and for free...sigh.

This past week was a bit of a mess for me, Tuesday nights 10K was horrible and then my run on Wednesday lasted about 2 minutes before I turned around, went to starbucks and had a nice cup of tea, I think mentally I just needed a break.  Thursday & Friday, I was on training for work and the workouts just didn't happen. 

This morning I did manage to get out there and get 26KM done...felt pretty good for the most part and pace was a little stronger than last weeks 23KM too.  It was cold out, with a pretty good wind blowing.  It is my longest distance to date, so very pleased to have gotten it done.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend!
2011-01-30 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3326334

User image

Expert
The first few times I was swimming I was actually writing the whole workout on my hand - haha.  The I saw the guy in lane next to me had the zip lock bag and I ahve been doing that ever since.

chichitao - 2011-01-28 7:51 AM
LockOut - 2011-01-27 3:30 PM
chichitao - 2011-01-27 3:19 PM Ok, I am a total idiot.  Not sure why I didn't think of a simple ziploc bag! Yell

In my mind I was thinking I could write it out on a note card and then wrap the card up in clear packing tape, kinda like the white trash version of lamination!  Keep It Simple Stupid!

Thanks

That's why you're awesome, Tim. 

Yeah, SHORT BUS AWESOME!
2011-01-31 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
I did the Bod Pod yesterday.  It was frightening!  I see where I am and I know where I want to be.  Now I just need to get there!
2011-01-31 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3330732

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Mrschach - 2011-01-31 11:22 AM I did the Bod Pod yesterday.  It was frightening!  I see where I am and I know where I want to be.  Now I just need to get there!

Tell us about the process! I am very intrigued... Were your numbers anywhere in line with what you thought they would be? What numbers does it actually give you? BF%, and % composition, or what? 

2011-01-31 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3330739

User image

Expert
South Jersey
LockOut - 2011-01-31 10:24 AM
Mrschach - 2011-01-31 11:22 AM I did the Bod Pod yesterday.  It was frightening!  I see where I am and I know where I want to be.  Now I just need to get there!

Tell us about the process! I am very intrigued... Were your numbers anywhere in line with what you thought they would be? What numbers does it actually give you? BF%, and % composition, or what? 

I had to wear a bathing suit and a swim cap and just sit in the thing for 2 minutes.  It has a big tinted window so you look right out.  I was afraid I would feel confined but I was fine.  I was weighed before I went in so it gave me my body weight, the percentage and amount of fat and something else.  My print out is at home.  It gave calorie amounts too.  It gave me three ranges of calories.  One range was the amount of calories I need to consume just to live.  I want to actually talk to my friend more about the calorie ranges. 

My numbers were right about where I thought they would be so it did not upset me to see the actual numbers on the paper.  I just picked up the book Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald (yes I love him and love his plans!) so I pulled it out when I got home.  There were some calculations in there and I picked a range of body fat percentage I would like to be and calculated what my body weight should be.  I need to lose 25-30 pounds to get to that point and that is where I have wanted to be anyway.

I don't know how beneficial this would be to a lot of triathletes because I see on here that most want to swim, bike, and run.  To really decrease your body fat, you need to add in strength training. 
2011-01-31 2:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Meggan-That sounds very interesting.  I have never heard of anything like that before.
2011-02-01 6:38 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I'M FINALLY DONE WITH WORK AND THAT AWFUL BOSS!!!  Yay!

And for the cherry on top, I have a snow day tomorrow, and had a snow night tonight!  Ha!
2011-02-02 6:12 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Keep on me this month guys!  This is going to be a tough month and I need to run!  I think I have said here recently that John is down a manager at work so he is either working 5:30am-3:30 or 2 pm-1ish.  My mom had surgery yesterday so Logan is in daycare for at least the next 6 weeks.  So I am on my own with the kids just about every weekday morning.  It is not an easy task getting all three of us dressed, fed, out the door, and where we all need to be!  At least with my mom, I did not have to worry about getting them dressed or fed if we ran out of time.  I think my workouts are going to be move to the evening and it is so easy to say I am tired and going to bed.
2011-02-03 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
We'll keep on ya Meggan.  What are you shooting for?  A certain number of miles per week, for the month? 

Well, we are being hit with Blizzard 2011!!  It's a running joke down here about how people freak out when it gets a little cold.  I think we are getting the same winter weather the rest of the north and east is getting.  We hit a low of 16 yesterday and a high of 26.  They said our real feel was -5 to 5 degrees.  Today is supposed to be about the same with 1-3in of snow tonight and tomorrow.  We don't get snow often down here (usually just ice).  Maybe once every 2 years or so.  Kinda looking forward to it, but ready for it to warm back up.  We actually hit 81 degrees this past Sun and it is supposed to be back up into the mid 60s this weekend.

My outdoor pool was closed yesterday so I attempted to find an indoor pool to swim at.  Didn't realize they are so few and far between down here.  I found a local YMCA and online it says they have an indoor pool.  So I printed out a free one day pass, brought my swim gear, and headed there after work yesterday.  Turns out the indoor pool is a small 20 x 20 foot water hole they use for water aerobics and such.  No lap swimming.  Dang it.  They should make that more obvious on their website.  And I didn't have any other workout clothes with me, so I tried 2nd place.  A local place that calls itself an Aquatic and Wellness center.  I have gotten ads from them before trying to get members to come swim in their indoor pool.  Thought this was a good bet and figured I could pay a few bucks to swim.  I get inside the place and it is another 20 x 20ft pool.  The lady said they mostly do rehab and swim classes for kids.  She said I could swim in it if I wanted.  I decided to pass.

I've called a few other big gyms before (24hr fitness, lifetime fitness, pure fitness) but they all refuse to let me pay just to swim.  I am already paying for a golds gym membership and mine doesn't have a pool.  Only 3 golds in the area have pools and they are all about 40-60min away.  Might have to plan to go there in the future.  Swimming yesterday for me just wasn't meant to be.  Rambling over.

2011-02-03 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
John was laughing last night about your state Tim.  He said about the weather in the teens in some areas and in the 70s with 100% humidity in others. 

Sorry about the pool situation.  Hope you find an indoor pool or the weather improves!  How is the knee doing?

My goals for the month are to follow the plan I am doing.  It is 4 days of running.  I have been trying to lift 2-3 days a week.  I do want to add some more biking in.  For some reason the kids let me bike with them in the basement but not run. 
2011-02-03 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
I think the weather has been terrible in so many places!  The bad part of it missed STL, but we still got 3" of ice and haven't had school in 3 days!  I am going stir crazy.  Did get out to the gym the first day, but haven't been out since.  the roads are still a bit icy!

T1-that is cold for texas!

t2-have you survived all the snow?  My inlaws are digging out to come here today.  I hope the highways in Chicago are clear!

Oh and I did make it out to WW yesterday once hubby got home.  I had to go weigh in....it was driving me crazy.  I was down 1.2!  So that makes 5.6 for the month of january!!!Laughing I really forgot how good I feel when I eat right and exercise.  You all have had a huge roll in getting me back.  Thanks for sticking with me during the rough patch!!  So glad I found BT!
2011-02-03 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3336920

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Mrschach - 2011-02-03 8:39 AM John was laughing last night about your state Tim.  He said about the weather in the teens in some areas and in the 70s with 100% humidity in others. 

Sorry about the pool situation.  Hope you find an indoor pool or the weather improves!  How is the knee doing?

My goals for the month are to follow the plan I am doing.  It is 4 days of running.  I have been trying to lift 2-3 days a week.  I do want to add some more biking in.  For some reason the kids let me bike with them in the basement but not run. 

Yeah, with the state so big it is pretty amazing the different weather you can get.  And we are smack dab in the middle of it.  I was playing around with map quest one time and realized it would take me about 5 driving hours minimum just to get out of the state. 

The knee is doing ok.  I had a little bit of a flare up last week once I started the new stretching program and then the longish ride on Sat.  But I have continued the stretching and foam rolling and it is back to normal again.  Got another PT appt tomorrow morning.
2011-02-03 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Congrats on the weight loss Debbie.  It's good to see the work paying off for you.  Once you get a taste of that weight loss it seems to be easier to stay motivated.
2011-02-03 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Speaking of the snow in Chicago, my local news website has a picture gallery of it and it looks nasty.

2011-02-03 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Debbie - Congrats on the weight loss!  That's AWESOME!

Meggan - I want to try that bod pod sometime.  It sounds pretty cool, but a little bit awkward.  I promise to hold you accountable this month.  How goes it so far?

T1 - I absolutely do not feel bad for you and your weather!  It sucks up here.  I had a snow day yesterday and then Tuesday night off class, too.  LOTS of snow.  Nadie wanted to go jump in it, and when she did, she fell straight in over her head.  HILARIOUS!  No running outside for me for a while...

I'm 24 today!  It's a weird age because I've finally decided I don't like getting older.  I'd like to stay this age for forever now, thank you very much.  Ryan got me some beautiful pearl earrings, and my grandmother (bless her heart) got me an apple corer-peeler-slicer so I could make her homemade applesauce!  Pretty exciting!

I'm in class until late tonight, so we're going out to dinner to celebrate tomorrow night.  I haven't chosen where yet because everywhere sounds so good!  We'll see...
2011-02-03 6:22 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Happy Birthday Erica!!! 
2011-02-04 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Thanks, Meggan! 

I came home late last night and Ryan had ANOTHER gift waiting for me!  A nice Zoot tri top and some Yankz!  I knew he'd get something tri-related in there...he always does!

Now, I've got all the gear for my 70.3 this summer!
2011-02-04 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Happy Big 24 Erica!!  It is all downhill after that. Tongue out

On another good note, can't complain about my day so far...

Subject : January Raffle Winner

You have won one of the $100 Trisports Gift Certificates for you January Gear Review.

Give me your address and I will get it mailed.

Thanks!

Ron
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103