Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2011-04-05 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group

Great job on the training guys!  I really really envy the water babies among here.  My fastest time on a 1000m time trial in a pool is 18:20 and I think there is still a lot to improve.  I don't kick at all and always in a relaxed pace (I think that's Z2 or something low).  Although I don't think it's too bad since I'm able to keep up with a 6'1 triathlete buddy who's got 2 years of race experience.

Well with my HIM on the 16th, I have decided that I will not do it.  Sucks to decide on it but I decided to take a 1 week break then slowly get back to training starting next week.  As most of you don't know, I got into a bike crash...  I know again!!!  2nd time in freaking 6 weeks.  This time on the triathlon bike.  Stitches again but less than before but what's really bothering me are the bruises on the knees.  Boy do they sting!!!  I think it will also take a longer healing time since they are on a joint and stretching of the skin is done constantly.  I know it's a shame since I trained 24 weeks for the race to come down to this.  But like what my buddy said, not everything falls according to plan.  I'll savor this week and do some walks here and there at the most and let the bruises heal.  On a positive note, I'll have more time to train for my first HIM.  I really think it's just too bad because in all honesty, I think I can shatter my goal time of 6 hours by at least 15 minutes.  I got good form on the swim (per my friends), strong on the bike, and definitely faster on the run (my favorite leg).  My first HIM will most likely be overseas in my homeland (Philippines) and boy do I have good training plans for that race...

So yeath there's my spill.  Time to put my leg up again...

Oh yeah, te bike is ok but I probably need to get the rear wheels trued.

Edited by arkmann 2011-04-05 6:49 PM

2011-04-05 6:55 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
OK, where did the last month go? Seems like in the blink of an eye I'm down to 8 1/2 weeks to go. Time really accelerates as you get closer to the end. It is so important to work hard from the start so you have confidence going into the last phases of prep.

I'm a bit behind on my cycling and with the weather so lousy I wouldn't get as much real road time as I need. It's still way to cold for OWS practice too. I feel good in the pool and have a lot of OWS experience so not too worried there. I may just have to alter my race expectations on the bike. I've put a lot into my running this year and feel good about that but no amount of run training will help if you've cooked your legs on the bike. These next few weeks are really critical to getting in the long outdoor rides. I'm praying for better weather.

Edited by popsracer 2011-04-05 6:59 PM
2011-04-05 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3431448

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
arkmann - 2011-04-05 6:48 PM

Great job on the training guys!  I really really envy the water babies among here.  My fastest time on a 1000m time trial in a pool is 18:20 and I think there is still a lot to improve.  I don't kick at all and always in a relaxed pace (I think that's Z2 or something low).  Although I don't think it's too bad since I'm able to keep up with a 6'1 triathlete buddy who's got 2 years of race experience.

Well with my HIM on the 16th, I have decided that I will not do it.  Sucks to decide on it but I decided to take a 1 week break then slowly get back to training starting next week.  As most of you don't know, I got into a bike crash...  I know again!!!  2nd time in freaking 6 weeks.  This time on the triathlon bike.  Stitches again but less than before but what's really bothering me are the bruises on the knees.  Boy do they sting!!!  I think it will also take a longer healing time since they are on a joint and stretching of the skin is done constantly.  I know it's a shame since I trained 24 weeks for the race to come down to this.  But like what my buddy said, not everything falls according to plan.  I'll savor this week and do some walks here and there at the most and let the bruises heal.  On a positive note, I'll have more time to train for my first HIM.  I really think it's just too bad because in all honesty, I think I can shatter my goal time of 6 hours by at least 15 minutes.  I got good form on the swim (per my friends), strong on the bike, and definitely faster on the run (my favorite leg).  My first HIM will most likely be overseas in my homeland (Philippines) and boy do I have good training plans for that race...

Sorry to hear that. I've enjoyed hearing your progress and really hope that you heal up well and get to that HIM. I know you will do well.
Good luck.
2011-04-05 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3428104

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
akrenik - 2011-04-03 11:11 PM

My advice to all of you...don't listen to the voice in your head that says you are tired.  Your body has more left in it.  Dig deep.

Here's an article written by a researcher who argues that's exactly what happens. Our bodies still have mojo but the mind quits.  His research re: endurance is very fascinating.

http://www.decide-2b.com/support-files/inside_tri_marcora.pdf

2011-04-05 7:40 PM

Expert

I feel for you arkmann, but not all is lost.  My girl told me today when I was being anxious about my HIM on the 17th that this isn't even about the race.  The training is what any ironman race is about and the journey to get there.  Regardless of how my race goes she was proud of me and thought that I should be proud of myself.  You've been kicking and should feel the same way. 

Hope you stay in touch in here and can keep trucking til your next race.  I'm now a bit hesitant about getting on the bike with my race 12 days away but don't think I can be that way!  Have a healthy and speedy recovery.

2011-04-05 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks pops and JC for the encouragement.  I'm never gonna be out.  I'm actually itching to start running and cycling again but I have to fight the urge.  I think I might even extend the healing time for  the bruises to 2 weeks just to be sure that new skin is good enough for stretching.  It does suck for it to end this way but I guess things happen for a reason.  I'll be stronger and faster on my first HIM that's for sure.  I'll still be around lurking like I always do.

By the way, GOOD LUCK TO YOUR RACES!!!

2011-04-05 8:07 PM

User image

Bronze member

How the heck did you crash this time? What are you doing out there?! (I'm teasing a little). Seriously though, I hope you heal quickly and get back to doing what you love. No doubt you will only continue to improve for your next race! So glad your new bike is o.k.

2011-04-05 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3431555

User image

Extreme Veteran
trigal38 - 2011-04-05 8:07 PM

How the heck did you crash this time? What are you doing out there?! (I'm teasing a little). Seriously though, I hope you heal quickly and get back to doing what you love. No doubt you will only continue to improve for your next race! So glad your new bike is o.k.

I'll bite...  I was in aero along the river bed and I hit a rock lost control for a second, fell on my left side, shoulder got a bruise, shades dug to my cheek and eyelid which resulted to cuts and stitches and left knee got 5 bruises as well.  Needless to say, I'm staying away from the river bed from hereon forward.   I heal unbelievably quick but man... The bruises are different...  Remember when you get a booboo when you were younger on your knee and it waters on the first and second day then it stings and starts to dry up?  That's what happened to my left knee but I got 5 booboos!!!!  It happened on Friday and it still stings...  Stitches are ok, can't wait to get them off tomorrow but it stings.....

Yes, I too am definitely glad the new used bike is A-OK!!!

2011-04-05 9:22 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

Arkmann - Sorry to hear about the crashes and HIM postponement. We'll be here for you when you get back in the saddle! Heal well, heal fast, and race even faster

JG - The plan I'm doing is a modified version of the trinewbies plan and the Matt Fitzgerald plan in the Jan issue of triathlete magazine. I liked the idea of developing my own plan so I modified away. The one thing the two have in common is no brick sessions other than short runs (15 minutes) following long bikes. I'll just combine some Saturdays and Sundays into bricks. I have to Oly's planned that will give me at least two brick sessions! I know the bricks are important for both physical endurance and nutritional evaluation.

2011-04-05 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3431569

User image

Bronze member
arkmann - 2011-04-05 8:17 PM

I'll bite...  I was in aero along the river bed and I hit a rock lost control for a second, fell on my left side, shoulder got a bruise, shades dug to my cheek and eyelid which resulted to cuts and stitches and left knee got 5 bruises as well.  Needless to say, I'm staying away from the river bed from hereon forward.   I heal unbelievably quick but man... The bruises are different...  Remember when you get a booboo when you were younger on your knee and it waters on the first and second day then it stings and starts to dry up?  That's what happened to my left knee but I got 5 booboos!!!!  It happened on Friday and it still stings...  Stitches are ok, can't wait to get them off tomorrow but it stings.....

Ouch! Sounds like you're lucky nothing is broken. I'm going to be extra careful on my bike now!

2011-04-05 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3431569

User image

Expert
arkmann - 2011-04-05 8:17 PM

Sorry to hear about your crash!  Especially with your race so close!  

2011-04-05 9:51 PM
in reply to: #3431457

User image

Expert

popsracer - 2011-04-05 6:55 PM OK, where did the last month go? Seems like in the blink of an eye I'm down to 8 1/2 weeks to go. Time really accelerates as you get closer to the end. It is so important to work hard from the start so you have confidence going into the last phases of prep. I'm a bit behind on my cycling and with the weather so lousy I wouldn't get as much real road time as I need. It's still way to cold for OWS practice too. I feel good in the pool and have a lot of OWS experience so not too worried there. I may just have to alter my race expectations on the bike. I've put a lot into my running this year and feel good about that but no amount of run training will help if you've cooked your legs on the bike. These next few weeks are really critical to getting in the long outdoor rides. I'm praying for better weather.

I always feel that way for all my races!  They just kind of sneak up on you!  I'm already getting nervous for mine, and it's in July... But I know if I don't pay attention, it'll be June pretty soon!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for better weather for you as well!  I think I survived my HIM last year just coasting on my run training, but I could have been much faster if I trained more on my bike!

2011-04-05 11:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks again for the regards guys.  You are all great!
2011-04-05 11:22 PM

User image

Veteran

Ark,  gonna do cam-sur in Aug?  Awesome dude!  I hope you heal fast and maybe you can still do your HIM on the 16th.  Just dont treat it as an "A" race. take in lots of protein to promote healing.  Goodluck!

2011-04-05 11:38 PM
in reply to: #3431752

User image

Extreme Veteran

There's no better way to be at your best than the race in the homeland brother!  I'm on waitlist but I'm almost certain I'll get in.  I think most Ironman events let 10% of the total number of registrants due to the fact that there are registrants that pull out and get cold feet or get injured.  I think I'm number 20 on the waitlist and with 750 registrants, I should be able to get in. 

I'm almost certain I'm not gonna be doing my HIM on the 16th.  I don't think I can give my 100% to it and that's just not how I do each race.  Besides, I won't be spending a lot of money since I don't have to pay for travel, hotel, meals, party, and gambling.  I can save more for the trip in August which will cost a boat load of money.

Protein all the way pare!  I've been having beef, pork, chicken, and fish the past 4 days but I'm definitely cutting on the caloric intake since I'm not training. 

Thanks!

astig - 2011-04-05 11:22 PM

Ark,  gonna do cam-sur in Aug?  Awesome dude!  I hope you heal fast and maybe you can still do your HIM on the 16th.  Just dont treat it as an "A" race. take in lots of protein to promote healing.  Goodluck!

2011-04-06 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3431758

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

I'm in week 10 (Bike focused week) and am starting to feel a bit nicked up - kinda like a NFL player in the middle of the season.  Nothing really that disabling, just achiness and soreness in my knees, feet and hips.  Week 11 is a recovery week (or in NFL parlance a "bye" week).  Besides lower volume, more rest, some ice and some stretching anyone have any other pearls of recovery wisdom out there to speed up some of the healing process.

Arkmann - I feel for you buddy, but it sounds like your choice is a wise one.

Edited by JoePetto 2011-04-06 7:58 AM

2011-04-06 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Decisions, decisions, decisions...  I'm almost tempted to go ahead and do the race since my week seminar in Las Vegas next week might be approved and the race is on the Saturday after....  Man oh man...
2011-04-06 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3432162

Expert

arkmann - 2011-04-06 9:33 AM Decisions, decisions, decisions...  I'm almost tempted to go ahead and do the race since my week seminar in Las Vegas next week might be approved and the race is on the Saturday after....  Man oh man...

That is quite the decision! You'll know best.

2011-04-06 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3432162

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
arkmann - 2011-04-06 9:33 AM

Decisions, decisions, decisions...  I'm almost tempted to go ahead and do the race since my week seminar in Las Vegas next week might be approved and the race is on the Saturday after....  Man oh man...

If there is anyway that you would be healed up in time I'd consider doing it. First have to be healed up but if so you could learn a tremendous amount from the experience. It is a long event that will have many challenges and decisions along the way about hydration, nutrition, pacing, transitions, etc. Sounds like your "A" race might really be the one in the Phillipines and you could use this as great preparation.

I did an HIM two weeks before my first HIM and used the first as the relaxed, no pressure, learning experience and hammered the second. Wasn't ideal but Hawaii 70.3 was two weeks before my "A" HIM and my wife wanted to go so..

decisions, decisions, decision....

Good luck either way

Edited by popsracer 2011-04-06 11:22 AM
2011-04-06 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

JC and pops: Yep, its quite a dilemma I got going for me.  I can "jog" the run route and "spin" on the bike route too.  Hell, I might even take a dip on the lake.  I guess I'll think it over and see how I feel.  In the mean time, I'll bring my training clothes, race gear, and bike with me...

Edited by arkmann 2011-04-06 11:55 AM
2011-04-06 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3432480

User image

Expert
arkmann - 2011-04-06 11:52 AM

JC and pops: Yep, its quite a dilemma I got going for me.  I can "jog" the run route and "spin" on the bike route too.  Hell, I might even take a dip on the lake.  I guess I'll think it over and see how I feel.  In the mean time, I'll bring my training clothes, race gear, and bike with me...

Certainly sounds tempting-- let us know what you decide! In the meantime, hope you're healing well and quickly to get back in the game for your 'A' race!

2011-04-06 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

T-minus two hours till my 1 hour run in the rain! I can't wait :-)

Question of the Day? For those using the BT plan, when it calls for a one hour run, do you consider your warm up and cool down part of the run, or only when you hit your stride? I usually do a 15 minute walk as a warm up and a 10 minute cool down walk.

p.s. I think I need to drop my plan and sign up for the BT plan. I have twenty weeks from this past Sunday to my A race so nothing really to lose. Are the explanations of the daily exercises and weekly goals worth the $55?

Edited by DV 1 2011-04-06 1:51 PM
2011-04-06 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3432662

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
DV 1 - 2011-04-06 1:14 PM

Question of the Day? For those using the BT plan, when it calls for a one hour run, do you consider your warm up and cool down part of the run, or only when you hit your stride? I usually do a 15 minute walk as a warm up and a 10 minute cool down walk.

p.s. I think I need to drop my plan and sign up for the BT plan. I have twenty weeks from this past Sunday to my A race so nothing really to lose. Are the explanations of the daily exercises and weekly goals worth the $55?

When it calls for a one hour run I would not count the 25 minutes walking because you would really just have a 35 minute run at that point. On the other hand, if my warmup consisted of an RPE 2 run pace, settling into 3 or 4 RPE, and than finishing with an RPE 2 run pace I probably would count it. The bike is different for me though. If it calls for a two hour ride and it takes me 15 minutes to warm up while riding, I do count that.
2011-04-06 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3432662

Expert
DV 1 - 2011-04-06 1:14 PM

I always warm up and cool down for about 2 mi if the run is 1h30 and if the run is 1 hour or less I warm up and cool down for 10 min.  I don't really like walking as a warm up or as the principle cool down.  Needs to be a jog in my opinion, just maybe 1.5 or 2mpm slower than your main portion.  My striders generally are followed my a little bit of a rest period.

You can just do the HIM free plan if you want to save the $55 bucks and put it into calendar yourself.  All the help you need will come from this forum most likely.

2011-04-06 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

Yeah that's what I was thinking; no on the run, yes on the bike.

After re-reading my last post about the $55 being worth it, I think I failed to recognize all the other benefits of Silver Membership. I'll be sigining up tonight and starting the plan accordingly!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150