BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-08-31 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3668220

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED
Sara - That's how I found out about my last one too. I went to read/post one day and it was gone.

2011-08-31 10:06 PM
in reply to: #3668228

Extreme Veteran
WittyCityGirl - 2011-08-31 7:42 PM

Mike_D - 2011-08-31 4:41 PM If this is it, then a hughe thank you to each and everyone for their thoughts and support the past few months. It has been terrific fun, and I appreciate everything. Hopefully I've returned the favor for you. This is a crazy, funny, fun sport/hobby we've chosen, and I hope everyone continues to enjoy it and live a healthy lifestyle. Sara - you've been the best! Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. Tell us when you get that tatoo.Hope this season has been a great one for everyone, and good luck with the off season. 2012 will be here before you know it! Happy end of summer to everyone! I'm always around BT if you're looking for me.Cheers! Mike

Feel free to stick around a little longer Mike!  It's been fun reading about your swim/bike/run adventures.  I'm still trying to figure out who will design the tri tattoo with the lizard (I think that's what Kate wears). =)  I think Suzanne is pretty darn lucky that she has summer to look forward to.  I cringe to think that we'll be getting frost in a few weeks. Ugh!

You'll get simalar weather when you move to NZ Sara don't worry.

Mike - My season actually hasn't really started yet,lol. But yes 2012 will be here soon.

Sara - Doesn't look like you'll have to put up with the frost for too long. NZ in Jan should definitely be frost free. Congrats on getting back on track with the running. As for the "I should bike but I'd rather swim" conundrum why not do a short brick session? That way you get what you should do and what you want to do in.

2011-09-01 6:20 AM
in reply to: #3668256

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
WittyCityGirl - 2011-08-31 7:55 PM

I'm happy to report that I am getting back into the swing of things! YAY!  Last March I pulled something in my groin and limped my way through Ironman training, the race, a HIM and a marathon before I caved and had it surgically repaired with mesh in December.  It's been an aggravating injury because so few athletes develop hernias and even fewer females develop them, especially the type I had (mine didn't involve organs protruding though muscle, rather nerves protruding through microscopic muscle tears in my way lower abs).  My surgeon said I'd be back to my old self and training with the intensity I wanted back in March... here it is the last day of August and I finally had a completely pain-free run (side stitches aside).

So, today I did a 45 minute aquajog and a 30 minute run on land.  This training felt different because my body craved the exercise and I was physically/mentally ready to put in a run-all other training and races since my surgery just didn't feel right.  This is a great accomplishment (back in January I walked 1 mile in over 45 minutes, it was baaaaaaaad) and now I'm feeling motivated to train for sign a short race this fall.

I'm hoping to get some strength training in tomorrow.  I "should" bike, but I'd rather swim. =)  I work for the local Office for Aging and we're hosting our first 5k walk/run.  We have over 100 participants (some are even under 55 years old, woohoo).

Woo hoo!!!  Congrats on the accomplishment AND having the patience/strength to wait until the time was right to start ramping back up the efforts.  So hard to let the body heal.

2011-09-01 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3294922

Extreme Veteran
Started my day with my yoga dvd and was able to hole both plank and downward facing dog for the required amount of time. YAY
2011-09-01 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3668325

User image

Master
Dunedin
50andgettingfit - 2011-08-31 9:31 PM

Sara, 

Are you moving to NZ for the masters program you've talked about? Is it 2 years? What is Jon going to do? It's such a big adventure! Will you be able to bring your dog? What a great experience all around. Plus moving there during their summer, perfect!

It's a PhD in Public Health program.  I had tried for 5 years to get into a PhD program in the States, but it's just craaaazy competitive.  I was applying to psychology programs and I was wait-listed a few times, but never made it to the top 4-15 students (out of hundreds) that were admitted.  So, now I'll use my background in psychology from my BS degree and my background in nutrition from my MS degree to research weight gain prevention in middle-aged women. =)  It's 3 years and Jon and join me for one year (the last one).  Halligan will be left at home.  I'd hate for the poor pup to have to be knocked out for the 30 hour trip. Plus, he'd have to be quarantined for a while.  I just hope the weather in New York in January doesn't delay my flights! 

Ironman New Zealand 2014 if anyone is interested!!!!  We have about 6 folks from our local tri club committed to joining me.

2011-09-01 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3668466

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-08-31 11:06 PM 

Sara - Doesn't look like you'll have to put up with the frost for too long. NZ in Jan should definitely be frost free. Congrats on getting back on track with the running. As for the "I should bike but I'd rather swim" conundrum why not do a short brick session? That way you get what you should do and what you want to do in.

Good idea about the brick. =)  I am looking forward to casual rides this fall!

2011-09-01 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3668595

User image

Master
Dunedin
croixfan - 2011-09-01 7:20 AM

Woo hoo!!!  Congrats on the accomplishment AND having the patience/strength to wait until the time was right to start ramping back up the efforts.  So hard to let the body heal.

Thanks!  It was a hard process.  The Dr. said I only needed to wait three weeks post-surgery to start swimming, but I don't think he realized that I had a post-Ironman mindset in a post-surgery body!  It was hard not to jump back into where I thought I needed to.  

Moral of the story-take care of your body!

2011-09-01 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3669971

User image

Master
Dunedin

suzielea - 2011-09-01 7:56 PM Started my day with my yoga dvd and was able to hole both plank and downward facing dog for the required amount of time. YAY

Nice!!! Those are GREAT poses to become comfortable with!

2011-09-01 10:37 PM
in reply to: #3670150

User image

Expert
San Jose
WittyCityGirl - 2011-09-01 7:28 PM

Sara, 

Are you moving to NZ for the masters program you've talked about? Is it 2 years? What is Jon going to do? It's such a big adventure! Will you be able to bring your dog? What a great experience all around. Plus moving there during their summer, perfect!

It's a PhD in Public Health program.  I had tried for 5 years to get into a PhD program in the States, but it's just craaaazy competitive.  I was applying to psychology programs and I was wait-listed a few times, but never made it to the top 4-15 students (out of hundreds) that were admitted.  So, now I'll use my background in psychology from my BS degree and my background in nutrition from my MS degree to research weight gain prevention in middle-aged women. =)  It's 3 years and Jon and join me for one year (the last one).  Halligan will be left at home.  I'd hate for the poor pup to have to be knocked out for the 30 hour trip. Plus, he'd have to be quarantined for a while.  I just hope the weather in New York in January doesn't delay my flights! 

Ironman New Zealand 2014 if anyone is interested!!!!  We have about 6 folks from our local tri club committed to joining me.

That's right! You'll be Dr. Sara! What an exciting time and great for you for getting into the program. 

My nephew is doing IMNZ in 2012. I heard it's a beautiful course!

2011-09-02 1:50 AM
in reply to: #3670150

Extreme Veteran
WittyCityGirl - 2011-09-01 9:28 PM

Sara, 

Sorry you have to be separated from hubby for so long and leave the dog at home but congrats on getting in to the program. As for the IM - 2014 could be doable but I'm not sure yet - I guess I'll find out closer to the time,lol. And thanks. I'm not quire "comfortable" with them yet - still wobbling a bit etc - but at least I'm able to do them now.

Johanne - Good luck to your nephew with IMNZ next year.

Another great swim - Total distance 700m and did great with breathing (except for coughing fits because I drank the pool a little), even when I was practicing the left hand side. I'm going to try the bilateral thing again next time - I may even do it without the buoy this time,lol.

2011-09-02 11:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Sara, if you come up with a good lizard tri tattoo, let me know--I don't have any yet, but I keep trying to think of a good design for one!

Did a second set of biking to/from college yesterday--45 minutes there, and if I hadn't managed to get a stupid flat (GRRR!) it prob'ly would have been the same or better for the route back--if I subtract the time spent fixing the tire, it would have been about 45 minutes!--The thing was, not only did I get the flat, but then, after I put my spare tube in (proud of myself the whole time for having it...),I found out that IT had a hole!!! No big deal, except filling THAT tube used up the last air in my compressed air thingie! --And I still had 8 miles to go... Thankfully, the American River Bike Trail--where I ride here, is full of some wonderfully nice people, cyclists and joggers alike! At least 30 people asked if I had what I needed, and when I did need supplies, two gentlemen stopped and gave me a new tube AND had a pump that worked AND they stayed til I was on my way again! How amazingly nice! Oh yeah, while they were helping me out, still many more people asked if I needed anything! It really restored my faith in the human race.

2011-09-03 3:03 AM
in reply to: #3671647

Extreme Veteran
kgore - 2011-09-02 11:48 PM

Sara, if you come up with a good lizard tri tattoo, let me know--I don't have any yet, but I keep trying to think of a good design for one!

Did a second set of biking to/from college yesterday--45 minutes there, and if I hadn't managed to get a stupid flat (GRRR!) it prob'ly would have been the same or better for the route back--if I subtract the time spent fixing the tire, it would have been about 45 minutes!--The thing was, not only did I get the flat, but then, after I put my spare tube in (proud of myself the whole time for having it...),I found out that IT had a hole!!! No big deal, except filling THAT tube used up the last air in my compressed air thingie! --And I still had 8 miles to go... Thankfully, the American River Bike Trail--where I ride here, is full of some wonderfully nice people, cyclists and joggers alike! At least 30 people asked if I had what I needed, and when I did need supplies, two gentlemen stopped and gave me a new tube AND had a pump that worked AND they stayed til I was on my way again! How amazingly nice! Oh yeah, while they were helping me out, still many more people asked if I needed anything! It really restored my faith in the human race.

Kate - sorry about the tube but yay for helpers.

Got in another long run of 2.13 miles in 43:20. Next week should be something between  48:08 and 50:50. I'm sort of doing a franken plan and using the long runs from hal's novice 5k plan although I'm sort of using a "distance or time" approach - basically whichever one comes first.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of doing a full brick by riding to/from the pool with a swim in the middle followed by a short run.

Edited by suzielea 2011-09-03 3:07 AM
2011-09-03 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Moving to New Zealand? I need to show up here more often. Best of luck! That is great!I've been a bit if a lump the past few days (lots of family in town taking my time). Did get in a couple of decent bike rides. Also managed to fall over today at a stop light due to a brain cramp - I need to remember I'm clipped in before trying to put my foot down! :-). Nice bloody forearm from using it to break my fall.
2011-09-03 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3671933

Extreme Veteran

Mike_D - 2011-09-03 12:09 PM Moving to New Zealand? I need to show up here more often. Best of luck! That is great!I've been a bit if a lump the past few days (lots of family in town taking my time). Did get in a couple of decent bike rides. Also managed to fall over today at a stop light due to a brain cramp - I need to remember I'm clipped in before trying to put my foot down! :-). Nice bloody forearm from using it to break my fall.

Hope you're ok Mike.

Oh and on the subject of bike pedals - would it be worth me getting new ones? - One side of the right one has a hole in the rubber that goes straight through to the metal - If so what type? and how do I go about replacing them?

2011-09-03 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3671933

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Mike_D - 2011-09-03 12:09 PM Moving to New Zealand? I need to show up here more often. Best of luck! That is great!I've been a bit if a lump the past few days (lots of family in town taking my time). Did get in a couple of decent bike rides. Also managed to fall over today at a stop light due to a brain cramp - I need to remember I'm clipped in before trying to put my foot down! :-). Nice bloody forearm from using it to break my fall.

It's pretty clear to me that your bike is nothing but trouble -- time for you to box it up and ship it my way so as to save you any more pain and suffering!!!!

Today was the first XC meet of the year for my son.  It was a big meet with the #1, #2, and #4 ranked teams in the state there.  His school went in #2 and came out #1 winning the meet handily.  He had some IT band issues that kept him from doing as well as he would have liked.  He was the #10 man for his team but finished 44th out of like 350 boys.  Tough part for him is that he would have been in the top 5 (scorers) for all but 3 of the teams there and the top 7 for all but his team!  It'll be fun to watch him for the rest of the year as his cardio is incredible and it's just a matter of getting the leg healed.  I got in a bunch of light jogging and walking during the 5 hours we were there watching all of the races.

2011-09-03 11:44 PM
in reply to: #3672376

Extreme Veteran

Great work to your DS and his school on the xc Curt.

2011-09-04 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I'm planning on a run today, and we'll see how that goes. Last night's neighborhood block party has left me a shell of myself this AM, and desperately in need of fluids . I also ate my weight in chips/salsa/cheeseburgers/buffalo chicken/crackers/cookies, etc. Not exactly a shining example of  well thought out eating & drinking.  I'll likely sweat ketchup when I go running today.
2011-09-04 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3672565

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Don't sweat it (pun intended) Mike -- one of the main reasons we do the tri thing is to enjoy life.  And that includes the occasional break down on the diet front.

Now when you qualify for Kona, you may have to re-evaluate!

2011-09-06 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Hope everyone had a great long weekend. We had a great mix of bbq's, fun with friends and good workouts. This week is a taper week for me and next Saturday is an oly. Then Sunday I'm going on a business trip with Dave to England. When I get back it's focusing on my last month of training for my last tri of the season.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Johanne

2011-09-07 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3671647

User image

Master
Dunedin
kgore - 2011-09-03 12:48 AM

Great to read that people were so kind to you!

2011-09-07 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3672148

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-09-03 6:15 PM

Oh and on the subject of bike pedals - would it be worth me getting new ones? - One side of the right one has a hole in the rubber that goes straight through to the metal - If so what type? and how do I go about replacing them?

If this hasn't been answered yet, I'd ask the local bike shop.  I'm personally really terrible with bike stuff, so I go to them for everything!

2011-09-07 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3672376

User image

Master
Dunedin
croixfan - 2011-09-03 11:16 PM

Today was the first XC meet of the year for my son.  It was a big meet with the #1, #2, and #4 ranked teams in the state there.  His school went in #2 and came out #1 winning the meet handily.  He had some IT band issues that kept him from doing as well as he would have liked.  He was the #10 man for his team but finished 44th out of like 350 boys.  Tough part for him is that he would have been in the top 5 (scorers) for all but 3 of the teams there and the top 7 for all but his team!  It'll be fun to watch him for the rest of the year as his cardio is incredible and it's just a matter of getting the leg healed.  I got in a bunch of light jogging and walking during the 5 hours we were there watching all of the races.

Good luck to him!

2011-09-07 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3672565

User image

Master
Dunedin

Mike_D - 2011-09-04 10:03 AM 

I'll likely sweat ketchup when I go running today.

OMG, I laughed out loud when I read that! TOO funny!

2011-09-07 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Glad I could supply a good laugh .

I did make it out for the run this AM, and it was a very wet one.  About 2 minutes into the run it started pouring, and I was soaked to the bone in no time. Cut it a bit short, but it was good to get moving again. No ketchup, however
2011-09-07 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Sorry I've been MIA!!  I looked at my calendar and it turns out that I worked 9 of the 14 weekends between Memorial Day and Labor Day and now I work every weekend in September on top of my full time job.  Can't wait for October so that I can get a breather!

Johanne, good luck at your race!

I've been getting back into the swing of training!  I've been doing a 500 yard freestyle warm up followed by 500 yards of backstroke and breaststroke.  Then I do 500 yards of 5 x 100 of whatever I feel like.  Then a little cool down.  It's working out great to gauge my fitness as I gain more of it back. 

Have a great rest of the week!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72