BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-07-15 8:07 PM
in reply to: #886445

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ...
Robb - 2007-07-15 8:04 PM

Anyway, so I finished and came home to change and just gave up.  I was thinking of just doing a 5k but my training plan calls for a 16k this week so I figured I will rest up today, RICE the knee, and go for the longer run tomorrow.

Wisely done my friend. Never push yourself when anything other than your "effort" muscles are hurting.

Next Saturday am I get back to the UK so do you (and anyone else who wants to get involved) want to do the same thing next Sunday (without the pain obviously!)?

I found it very enjoyable and interesting to do an Oly as it is getting closer to my half. I am going to be looking at little things like nutrition etc on the next run so if anyone has any advice it would be gratefully received.

I really want to feel comfortable with the challenge ahead.

BTW, my weeks challenge of doing the ironman distance failed on the bike of all things. Just no bloody time so that is my challenge for the week that I get home as I will be able to train my little heart out (Satan and the kids are in France and I'm not going out their until the end of the month).

I hope everyone has a good week.

Mark

2007-07-16 3:54 AM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
I ran out of the time for the run -- remember, I did say I had some commitments -- but the rest of the effort was great. Thanks for the motivation. And Mark, I'm on for next week.
2007-07-16 4:11 AM
in reply to: #886989

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
prof40 - 2007-07-16 9:54 AM

I ran out of the time for the run -- remember, I did say I had some commitments -- but the rest of the effort was great. Thanks for the motivation. And Mark, I'm on for next week.

OK, I'm about 4 hours ahead next week and I have no commitments for the day so you set the time.

Do you want to go for an Oly again? I loved the distance so I am happy and with it being at home I don't have to get an aged chinaman to hold my bike for me which is a positive although I will not get a happy ending offered by a hobbit which is...

Robb, are you in? Watergirl? Pene, anyone else fancy stepping up to the plate.

In case you missed the original post, all it is is a group tri just for a laugh. I know that a bunch of you are swimming what seems to be the length of Kansas next weekend so I guess that you'll have your hands full but for anyone who is at a loose end I thought that this was a good way to get some mileage in.

No entry fees (which is good news for prof!) but also no t shirt. You set the distance or the goal just make sure it is a bit of stretch and let's get it on.

2007-07-16 7:23 AM

User image

Minneapolis
Pene and Casey:
I owe you such a big apology. I throw out this great ideal to come to the cities and swim and then I fall off the face of the earth. I am sorry. The reality is that being pregnant is harder than it looks, overall it is kicking my . My ability to stay awake for more than 4 hours is amazing to me. During the time I have been gone, I have not worked out and I started eating sugar which sent me into a shame spiral of biblical proportions.
Well when I woke up today I said a prayer and asked my higher power to help me and I am already feeling relief from the pain I have been feeling.

So as for Saturday, If you are still coming, please call me so we can talk. I PM'd you my number cause although I like all of you, I would prefer my stalker not know my number.

Hope to see you Saturday and as I get better ( the food fog lifts a little more) I plan on peaking my head into this site more.
Quiana
2007-07-16 3:20 PM
in reply to: #887067

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
I'm still game Quiana....I just need to get my thingie into the YWCA (along with my job application to the Uptown location).

Did we decide 5? 6?
2007-07-16 9:38 PM
in reply to: #887067

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-07-16 1:23 PM

I PM'd you my number cause although I like all of you, I would prefer my stalker not know my number.

Quiana

You have a stalker? How exciting!

"The reality is that being pregnant is harder than it looks, overall it is kicking my . My ability to stay awake for more than 4 hours is amazing to me. During the time I have been gone, I have not worked out and I started eating sugar which sent me into a shame spiral of biblical proportions. "

Being a bloke I can't really opine on pregnancy (other than to say that it's nothing when you think about shaving!) but I will relate what Satan used to tell me about it (without the profanities though).

Satan suffered from morning sickness from the day we found out she was pregnant (in New York funnily enough) to three days before the girls were born. She dined almost exclusively on prawn mayonnaise sandwiches and brie, both of which top the list of foodstuffs not to eat, she slept like a cat racking up 18 hours a day with the remaining six hours being spent praying to god on the big white telephone in the bathroom or listlessly wondering around Waitrose trying to find something she could eat. Her cravings included coal and smoking, one of her friends ate orange peel (and still does occasionally) whilst another developed some sort of allergy to her husband! In short, pregnancy screws you up.

Compare this with the media driven image of pregnancy that is in every magazine and on every tv show. I would love to hear Julia Roberts discussing the fact that now, having had twins and another baby, every time she sneezes she wees a bit or that spontaneous lactation is more than a bit embarassing when it happens in the checkout queue!

You are doing a remarkable thing (having gone on a fantastic journey to get there). Do what you think is right to get to the finish line but try not to think that the Quiana that graced this world before you were pregnant is the same Quiana as is around now, you're a vehicle for your baby now.

BTW, one of my sisters' friends had the most bizarre craving: she developed an infatuation with country and western music. I don't mean the Garth Brooks kind of stuff but the really obtuse "There's been no trash in my trailer since you left town" kind of stuff. She was lead violin for the London Philarmonic Orchestra at the time!

2007-07-16 11:32 PM

Veteran
Ontario

Mark, I am game for Sunday as well. Going to hit the Y early morning for 1500m, then ride my bike from there for 40k, come home and run (hopefully this time!).

So today I went out to ride the trails. I had a friend out with me who had never rode them before, so I of course had to show off (as usual).

There is one part that I have been too chicken to ride but today was the day to try it. Its a log about 3-4ft high you ride a ramp up, across, and drop off at the end. For some reason, I braked right at the end and did not have enough speed to do anything, so I basically just rolled off the edge, front wheel hit, I went over, flipped, and landed on a rock. Luckily I had my helmet on, and camel back, which took a big impact. I had braced the fall with my left hand though, and it got hurt pretty bad. I iced it when I got home but I am pretty sure I sprained it. Its under tensor now, so I hope it is better in the morning. Either way, I am taking a break from biking until Sunday.

Anyway, I drew this awesome picture to help you visualize my awesomeness.

Needless to say, I got up, rested, and rode it again and landed perfectly. Take that ! BWA.

2007-07-17 4:17 AM
in reply to: #886990

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Mark Stanley - 2007-07-16 5:11 AM

prof40 - 2007-07-16 9:54 AM

OK, I'm about 4 hours ahead next week and I have no commitments for the day so you set the time.

Do you want to go for an Oly again? I loved the distance so I am happy and with it being at home I don't have to get an aged chinaman to hold my bike for me which is a positive although I will not get a happy ending offered by a hobbit which is...

I'm thinking 7ish my time. By the way, I was so bothered that I didn't get the run done that I did it all again on Monday. Slightly longer distances but, when your calendar opens up unexpectedly and you have some time, you have to use it. Thanks again for the challenge. It was nice to get the body really moving.

And your massage story reminds me of a night I spent in Amsterdam about 20 years ago. I'll share the details when we have that post-race beer.
2007-07-17 6:32 AM
in reply to: #888631

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Robb

I'm not surprised you fell off, you weren't even holding on to the handle bars you little show off!

Prof

7am Sunday sounds great for me. I'm meeting my boss on Sunday morning so team UK is being supported by an honest to God multiple IronMan.

Obviously when I say supported, I actually mean carried!

Same distance as before or do you want to go longer? I am going to stick at an Oly and ee what happens although I may (energy levels permitting) throw in a longer bike.

Tri nations tri is on! Place your bets

2007-07-17 7:58 AM

User image

Minneapolis
Pene and Casey I did not PM you however I did leave you an inspire me.
as for time, 5 is better, I am brining some people with me and need to go gather them.

PENE: are you brining the tribe and do you need a place to stay? I am brining a youth with me and
two other boys to offer childcare support while we swim on top of what the Y is offering.

Casey: You can drop the application off anywhere, are you looking for fulltime, we are hiring a member rep full time DT- call me to get more details.

MARK: I do not have a stalker, but I do not want one, you are as close as it gets and you are across the BIG pond.

feeling better today. stuck to a food plan for the first time in my memory. going for day two.
Quiana
2007-07-17 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Hi Quiana,

Been hashing this over for awhile now and I think I'll have to pass. I took a whole week off to see if I would feel better, and then tried driving to LaCrosse Sunday and had the same blasted thing happen. I think it's just my nerves now, but everytime I drive a certain distance, I freak out. I nearly pass out. It's just in the places now where I know I won't be able to pull over, like on bridges, or places where they have several lanes of traffic and no spare room on the side. I start visualizing jumping the curb or going into the median--anyplace I can get to in a second or two, put it in park and then faint. I just don't want to kill anyone, especially my kids. It's probably all just anxiety now and I think I need to do some EMDR for it now. That's a good technique for post traumatic stress disorder and I did it before for other things in my life, but I need to find the time and the therapist. The last dude was in Dubuque Iowa and I'm obviously not going to drive there to get therapy for fear of fainting while driving!

I'm also realizing that I need to just slow down and quit most if not all this stuff and just be a mom and try to clean up this financial mess I'm in. It won't be easy, but I can't really sacrifice my health, mental or otherwise for a silly race or two. When I die people will remember me for my occupation, the three kids I raised alone, and not for my very slow swim-bike-run. I have no support system at all. Can't even get babysitters for the very very rare date or two that I manage to get asked out on. (I won't bother you all with the details of Sunday's date.....in the waiting period now of whether or not he'll call in the next day or two and I HATE that! Why can't a fellow just tell you right off if he wants to see you again or not?) As it is, I don't even have anyone willing to go on a bike ride with me. And I'm totally sick of doing it all alone and fighting so damn hard to find the time and energy to do it.

My nerves are shot, my hamstring still isn't healed and my big old vulnerable heart is rather confused right now. So, I'll wish you all the very very best and tell you a big thank you! And I'm going to just slow WAY down and try to find some pleasure in this stuff again, not to mention life in general

2007-07-17 8:08 PM
in reply to: #888839

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-07-17 9:23 AM

I'm also realizing that I need to just slow down and quit most if not all this stuff and just be a mom and try to clean up this financial mess I'm in. It won't be easy, but I can't really sacrifice my health, mental or otherwise for a silly race or two. When I die people will remember me for my occupation, the three kids I raised alone, and not for my very slow swim-bike-run.... So, I'll wish you all the very very best and tell you a big thank you! And I'm going to just slow WAY down and try to find some pleasure in this stuff again, not to mention life in general

Life Rule #7: If it's no longer fun, don't do it. Whatever it is.

Sounds like you're about to head out on another journey. Good luck to you, and don't forget to check back in and let us know how you're doing. You provided many smiles to our group and your enthusiasm will be missed.
2007-07-17 10:53 PM
in reply to: #890329

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
prof40 - 2007-07-18 2:08 AM

phoenixrising404 - 2007-07-17 9:23 AM

I'm also realizing that I need to just slow down and quit most if not all this stuff and just be a mom and try to clean up this financial mess I'm in. It won't be easy, but I can't really sacrifice my health, mental or otherwise for a silly race or two. When I die people will remember me for my occupation, the three kids I raised alone, and not for my very slow swim-bike-run.... So, I'll wish you all the very very best and tell you a big thank you! And I'm going to just slow WAY down and try to find some pleasure in this stuff again, not to mention life in general

Life Rule #7: If it's no longer fun, don't do it. Whatever it is.

Sounds like you're about to head out on another journey. Good luck to you, and don't forget to check back in and let us know how you're doing. You provided many smiles to our group and your enthusiasm will be missed.

I'm with prof which means that yet again I will have to tithe half my earnings to him. Look in and let us know how you're doing. You've shared so much with us I, for one, would love to know how this story plays out!

Best of luck.
2007-07-19 9:53 AM

User image

Tennessee

OMG - I laughed myself sick over your "awesomely awesome" illustration, Robb.  Then Mark's post on pregnancy foibles...all of which are ho-hum accurate, btw. 

Pene - I already gave you a talkin to on your inspires, girl.  Quiana - you said you were trying for awhile, so congratulations and don't worry about a thing except pampering mama and your little bun.

PS - I think you should share your Amsterdam experience with everyone, prof - it just leaves us hanging to hear the teaser like that!

2007-07-19 9:55 AM

User image

Tennessee
PPS - It's Mike Hall's birthday today, if anyone wants to stop by his blog and give him a big rash of grief about getting old. :-)
2007-07-19 3:50 PM

Veteran
Ontario

was Mike Hall someone on here?  I am not sure I met him.

Pene, you know you are the star of this group and always will be.  Please don't stop posting on here, even if it is just about your day-to-day.  We need you!

2 notes for today.

First off, my book came in.  I bought the Total Immersion book on open water triathlon swimming.  I am only a portion in but it really is some good stuff!  They don't talk about speed at all.  It is all about learning to swim easier so that you have more energy to do the bike/run.  They talk about balance in the water a lot, as well as getting your strokes per length down to an optimum level.

Second, I picked up my race kit for tomorrow.  Coolest kit ever!!!  It comes with a huge beer mug with the race info on it.  A free cliff bar, some coupons and the usual.  The best thing though....free beer!!  The race ends at a local pub/restaurant downtown, and they included a ticket for a free burger and a beer!  I love it, it beats any free t-shirt hands down!

2007-07-19 4:27 PM
in reply to: #893402

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
I have the Total Immersion book....it's definitely helped me rethink my swimming. I've heard the video or a clinic is even better so you can be shown and critiqued....but sometimes we use what we have access to!

This week I've been a total lazy person, and my body is screaming at me. Blah. Chronic pain is funny, if I don't keep working out, I hurt....if I hurt, I don't want to work out, then the pain gets worse. Silly vicious cycle.
2007-07-19 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
Casey, I can totally sympathize with you. I'm not sure I have chronic pain, but I have chronic SOMETHING. Maybe an adrenal deal, maybe I'm just borderline schitzo, or maybe it's like a blockage of blood flow to my brain. Whatever it is, I find this stuff nearly impossible to figure out. Such a fine line! If I put in 11 hours in a week, I feel all tired and achy. If I put in only 6 hours, I feel less tired and achy but really depressed and hopeless and crabby. If I take a whole rest week, I feel almost suicidal, and then get achy and tired again. Mercy. So, I've decided I can't give this stuff up, or I'll die. Simple as that. Now to find the right balance so I can differentiate between fatigue and nerves! The driving thing is weird. If I can stop thinking while driving, I'm fine. The minute I realize I'm fine while driving, I get nerved up again. Or if I'm near anyplace where I got nerved up in the past. I think I need a shrink! Or an MRI to see if I'm dying of a brain tumor......

Okay, my love life is totally bizarre. The dude Sunday actually stood me up. Or I thought so. Called his cell twice, no answer. So I left. You know you are a triathlete when you leave a stand up deal happy because you realize you can get that OWS in after all, since the lake is on the way home and you still have your wetsuit and stuff in the back of the Blazer! Then of course, after I smell like fish poop and neoprene, the dude calls and tells me his brother had his full attention because his wife just died of an "accidental" overdose of antidepressants. She fell on her nose, broke it and died right in front of her 12 year old! I took pity on him and met him anyway and at least got a supper out of the deal, even though it was LATE by that time. He really was talking to his brother because when he pulled up, he was on the phone and he let me listen in. Poor brother! So, he was a bit distracted, we were both tired and I smelled funny. I don't think it went smashingly well, but he is a good kisser and he hasn't called but I expect he's in Colorado at a funeral or something this week. He's shorter than me, so I don't think it will work out. I like my thick heeled shoes too much! (I know, that sounds BAD!!!) Mean time, an old boyfriend is emailing me again and saying shtuff like "there was really nothing about you I didn't like" and isnt' THAT nice! Confuse the crap out of me, why don't we! And a patient came in and told me her husband's friend (former patient of mine, single no kids and the former girls' basketball coach) is going through a midlife crisis because he wants to settle down with someone but just can't seem to get it together enough to go get a woman. And she thinks I'm the woman he needs. So, I emailed him. Getting BRAZEN aren't I????? What the heck. He can either take me up on the running partner needed offer or NOT. I could care less! But you don't get anything by sitting around wishing for it, right? I learned that from triathlon!! Seize the day, etc......

Not to mention my water leak, trashed washer, almost broken adjusting table saved by a patient who noticed a pin was loose, air conditioning that was broken in the office for a few hot days, the smoking lawnmower that I thought was broken and would blow up, but wasn't after all.......and the scare I had about maybe not having a sitter to do the MS 150 and I was STRESSED!

So today I went in the lake after drinking lots of stress drops to survive the drive, and it HELPED! I was in the zone for a bit! You know, the one where you just move rhythmically and everything works great! It never happened for me in the lake before. So this is good!

You SURE you want my craziness back on here?????????????????
2007-07-19 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
Rob--you feeling okay from that fall????

Quiana--how's the tummy critter doing?

I have good news: I finally got a little bit of speed going on the bike! I averaged 18 mph and even saw 27 mph about 5 times! And I cracked the thousand mile mark for the bike for the year! I'm at 244 for the run and 32,540 y for the swim. I don't think those numbers are too shabby for this crazy mother of three. Now to get this leg all healed up so I can go find some speed with the RUN! Which I MISS! Like crazy!! Even though it's super hard for me!

I think either my cardiovascular system is finally kicking in, or the rest weeks are helping me???
2007-07-20 5:25 AM
in reply to: #893402

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Robb - 2007-07-19 4:50 PM

2 notes for today.

First off, my book came in.  I bought the Total Immersion book on open water triathlon swimming.  I am only a portion in but it really is some good stuff!  They don't talk about speed at all.  It is all about learning to swim easier so that you have more energy to do the bike/run.  They talk about balance in the water a lot, as well as getting your strokes per length down to an optimum level.

Second, I picked up my race kit for tomorrow.  Coolest kit ever!!!  It comes with a huge beer mug with the race info on it.  A free cliff bar, some coupons and the usual.  The best thing though....free beer!!  The race ends at a local pub/restaurant downtown, and they included a ticket for a free burger and a beer!  I love it, it beats any free t-shirt hands down!

Mark did the TI clinic and said it led to amazing results. I've been intrigued ever since. Keep us posted on how your swim feels.

Burger and beer after the race? Excellent. I'm going to have to roadtrip to Canada.
2007-07-20 5:30 AM
in reply to: #893476

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
androgenie - 2007-07-19 5:27 PM

I have the Total Immersion book....it's definitely helped me rethink my swimming. I've heard the video or a clinic is even better so you can be shown and critiqued....but sometimes we use what we have access to!

This week I've been a total lazy person, and my body is screaming at me. Blah. Chronic pain is funny, if I don't keep working out, I hurt....if I hurt, I don't want to work out, then the pain gets worse. Silly vicious cycle.

Same with you -- let us know how you like the TI method.

And I highly recommend Advil. Tylenol is good, Motrin is better but makes me sleepy. And while BenGay or IceHot are great, no one can stand to be near you for a bit.

Ah, aren't we just a sexy bunch?

2007-07-20 5:52 AM
in reply to: #893677

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-07-19 9:15 PM

I think either my cardiovascular system is finally kicking in, or the rest weeks are helping me???

The rest weeks are helping. Feels good, doesn't it?

Why are you going 11 hours a week? You have an IM in September you haven't told us about? You turned pro? You sent the kids away to boarding camp and hired a handyman to do the day-to-day work?

Moderation, please. Keep up those hours and your body will always hurt, you'll become cranky and burned out, and you'll have mood swings. Even the pros don't train to the max every month of the year! I say go 5 hours total next week, and the same the week after. You won't lose much, if anything, and you'll find that balance you seek. Go live a little.

I'm mowing my lawn later today. And I'm looking forward to it. Don't know why I get so much pleasure cutting it, leaving those mow lines in odd patterns, but I do. It's just 2 hours of isolation, and thinking, and being in the sun. I even wear this dorky floppy hat, which I love. Sure, it's not a swim, and I can't add the distance to my logs. But does every physical effort have to be triathlon related? God, I hope not. Otherwise, it would become work.

And since I'm so cheap, if you don't want my $0.02, just say so, and I'll take it back!
2007-07-20 7:04 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks Prof, here's the deal: I have to put in 9-11 hours a week to hit the numbers for the century and the marathon. I'm THAT slow! to get the mileage, it takes me like twice as long as it does for other folks! My swim is 3 min/100yards, my bike is a whopping 18 mph now up from 14 mph but I only did a short bike yesterday so I don't know if I can hold this 4mph improvement or not. And my fastest race pace run is still a 12 minute mile. See--that's the dilemma. That's why I thought maybe I would just stop making the marathon type goals and stick to little teeny sprints and little teeny workouts. But to stick to little teeny sprints, you would want to get a teeny tiny bit faster! And since speed isn't my forte, I thought maybe I'd just go with my strength which is determination, pigheadedness or just plain stubbornness and go for the looonnng race. Now I don't know. I'm going to not plan on anything much and just try to go to most of the races I signed up for this summer/fall and see where I'm at in a few months. Yesterday was the first day that I could see improvement. My swim was more relaxed and my technique was better in the lake because I wasn't all panicked about being in the blasted lake for a change. And my bike just felt better all around---cardi o and muscle wise. So I didn't push it. Why kill myself just when I start to feel better? The driving fiasco is pure nerves now. But until I master the shorter distances driving, I'm not going to stress myself with longer trips. Or until I find a head shrinker to fix me........

But, I have put in over 60 hours this year on the bike, over 50 hours on the RUN (because my run is more like a walk) and over 30 hours on the swim. That averages to 20 hours a month, and 5 hours a week. Obviously I haven't put in that much in January and Feb, and have put in more in May-June and then slowed down again this month. So I think I can safely put in a minimum of 5 hours a week and build to the higher numbers a little more slowly this time.
2007-07-20 2:06 PM

Veteran
Ontario

Yeah my wrist still hurts a bit.  Not really hurts, more of an uncomfortable feeling.  I am going to stay off the bike 'til Sunday to be sure.

I am about 3hrs from my race and I just got some more good news :D  I got offered another job that is 10 times better than the job I was going to start August 6th.  This one is working for the school board, fixing donated computers for various schools/charities.  I start Monday though so this is my last weekend of freedom.  NOoooooo!!

anyway, will have race report up tonight.  Take care all! 

2007-07-21 12:35 AM

Veteran
Ontario

Well the race went well!  The 'running the first lap faster' worked very splendid. 

To break 30min I would have to run under 6min/km.  At the first km marker I looked down and saw 5:20 on my watch.  Woot!  Kept pumping and hit the turn around at 13:30.  I thought, thats like having 1:30 in the bank.  I held the pace pretty well the way back, even though it was all uphill, and managed 28:05!  I saw 27:55 on the clock and sprinted my off, passing 3 people.  I mean I was really moving it lol.  But I still smoked my goal so I was happy and felt so good after.

I didn't stay for the free beer/burger as there was a line up of about 300people and only 1 bbq going so I just said forget it and walked home. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72