BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-04-10 7:15 AM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open

Hey all!

Sorry I have been a bit absent but life has been busy.  Daughter was confirmed over the weekend and had mother in town.  Lots of stuff over the weekend but did manage a 10 mile run and a couple of good rides.  Taper for HIM starts soon and, of course, I don't feel prepared except for the run.  On the bike I got lots of miles but not a lot of long rides and my swimming has been fairly nonexistent.  But I will survive and hopefully beat my previous NOLA time.

Gary question: for a sprint tri, what do you consider to be the best weather you would like for the race?

Chris - I have that top in a box and will try to ship it today.

Elizabeth - good luck on the 20 miler!

Left - sounds like a great vacation

Dorm - very cool, hope you had a great ride with the SIL

Mike - how is the knee?

2012-04-10 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4140023

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
GaryRM - 2012-04-10 8:15 AM

Gary question: for a sprint tri, what do you consider to be the best weather you would like for the race?

Dorm - very cool, hope you had a great ride with the SIL

Gary, for weather with a sprint, I like it when it's crystal clear outside and on the warmer side - where it feels good to get in the pool, but not so hot you feel the heat from the pavement.

Had a nice ride with the SIL on Saturday ... did an easy paced 33 miles.  I felt good and had gas in the tank at the end, but the SIL was ready to stop.  It was his first ride this season, so he needed some slack, but it did feel good to hear him say the ride was about 10 miles too long (especially with me being 28 years his elder and all)  

2012-04-10 4:45 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

Ha, that is awesome Dorm.

I can't answer your question yet Gary, but I'm going to go with whatever day it is I finish my first go.  The weather will probably be perfect that day, no matter what it is.

And thanks again on the top.  No rush on getting it out!

Ran an easy paced 1.85 miles with a few guys for their warmup at lunch, but didn't feel like lifting afterwards, so I just ran the same loop again, but at 8:15 pace rather than that 10:00 pace they took the first go.

2012-04-10 7:02 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Awesome ride Dorm!  It is cool to hang with the young en's :-).

Perfect sprint weather for me is 70-75 degrees, low humidity and low wind.

Knees are on the mend.  I picked up some compression knee sleeves and took 9 days of riding and 19 off running.  Also got a professional bike fit today and new shoes and pedals.  He made big adjustments so I'm looking forward to riding tomorrow.  

2012-04-12 10:39 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

How did that bike feel ransick?

Took a week off from swimming and plan on going 3x week moving forward.  Just been so busy wrapping up tax season at work, studying all night, and chasing my kids all afternoon, that 5am wake ups had to be put on the back burner.

On a very positive side, I got in a good 5 miles today paced out at 9:15 which included a 10:33 for the second mile because the blue hairs were on a easy run day.  I only ran with them the first 2 miles, so was able to push the pace a bit for the last 3.

Even better is that I've run 4 consecutive days, which I don't think I have ever done in my life.  Not counting sprint workouts when I was a sprinter in college of course.  Even blowing my mind more is that I've logged 15.2 miles over those 4 days.  Going to shoot for 4.8 tomorrow at lunch so I can call it an even 20 on the week.  Beyond my wildest comprehension.  I was running 5-7 miles a month just two months ago.

2012-04-13 2:36 AM

User image

Expert

For a Sprint I like it hot.  The hotter the better.  Feels nice getting in the water.  Stay cool on the bike by virtue of the built in wind, and then run like hell for 22 min.

Gary, I just looked at the IM website, and holy crap, NOLA is in 9 days.  I am 8+ weeks out and am already getting nervous for my 70.3.  Are you feeling OK?  The 10 day forecast for NOLA says 86 and sunny.  Make sure you hydrate well for the last week, and trust the taper.  Can't wait to hear all about it.

2012-04-13 5:20 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

As for me I don't mind slightly cooler temps as I run so much better in cooler temps.  Maybe low 70's.

Yep, NOLA is not too far off.  Not really nervous yet as way too many things going on.  I am a bit worried about the weather pattern with a little too much rain going on. Actually looking forward to next weeks taper. 

CC - congrats on the running

2012-04-13 8:14 AM

Veteran
Hey everyone - ive been having lots of hip pain the last couple of weeks on my runs and haven't gone over 5 miles in a few weeks. I finally went to the doc and had an MRI. I have a labral hip tear and won't be running for several weeks. And then he recommends that I switch from long distance running to short distance triathlons or cycling. I mentioned my 70.3 plans and he said the HIM might be too far for my body to handle. The scariest news was that my rt hip is pre-arthritic (at 37!) and so I actually think that I'm going to listen to his advice. It's very frustrating since my social life revolves round running. I'm hoping that my hip will feel good enough in a few weeks to start shorter runs. So the point of this post is that I'm not doing my 20 miler race this weekend and I'm not doing Boise 70.3. And just writing this makes me pretty depressed about my future running.

But on the upside, it's a beautiful day and we rented a house in Bend Oregon for the race so we're going anyway and are taking our skis and our raft and will have lots of fun, esp since I won't be exhausted from the race.

2012-04-14 5:10 PM
in reply to: #4147623

User image

Master
St. Louis
ccoffin - 2012-04-12 10:39 PM

How did that bike feel ransick?

Took a week off from swimming and plan on going 3x week moving forward.  Just been so busy wrapping up tax season at work, studying all night, and chasing my kids all afternoon, that 5am wake ups had to be put on the back burner.

On a very positive side, I got in a good 5 miles today paced out at 9:15 which included a 10:33 for the second mile because the blue hairs were on a easy run day.  I only ran with them the first 2 miles, so was able to push the pace a bit for the last 3.

Even better is that I've run 4 consecutive days, which I don't think I have ever done in my life.  Not counting sprint workouts when I was a sprinter in college of course.  Even blowing my mind more is that I've logged 15.2 miles over those 4 days.  Going to shoot for 4.8 tomorrow at lunch so I can call it an even 20 on the week.  Beyond my wildest comprehension.  I was running 5-7 miles a month just two months ago.

Bike felt underwhelming.  I had high expectations.  The fitter said give it 3-5 rides, so I will.  

Congrats on the run volume! That is awesome!

2012-04-14 5:16 PM
in reply to: #4147996

User image

Master
St. Louis

elizabethk - 2012-04-13 8:14 AM Hey everyone - ive been having lots of hip pain the last couple of weeks on my runs and haven't gone over 5 miles in a few weeks. I finally went to the doc and had an MRI. I have a labral hip tear and won't be running for several weeks. And then he recommends that I switch from long distance running to short distance triathlons or cycling. I mentioned my 70.3 plans and he said the HIM might be too far for my body to handle. The scariest news was that my rt hip is pre-arthritic (at 37!) and so I actually think that I'm going to listen to his advice. It's very frustrating since my social life revolves round running. I'm hoping that my hip will feel good enough in a few weeks to start shorter runs. So the point of this post is that I'm not doing my 20 miler race this weekend and I'm not doing Boise 70.3. And just writing this makes me pretty depressed about my future running. But on the upside, it's a beautiful day and we rented a house in Bend Oregon for the race so we're going anyway and are taking our skis and our raft and will have lots of fun, esp since I won't be exhausted from the race.

Ouch, that is tough news Elizabeth.  Sorry to hear that.  Once it is healed, can you start doing some hip strengthening like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GLrKr54yA0 and this http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=18359  ?

You might want to get a second opinion from a doc that treats endurance athletes too.  Opinions can vary wildly.

2012-04-14 6:52 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

elizabethk - 2012-04-13 8:14 AM Hey everyone - ive been having lots of hip pain the last couple of weeks on my runs and haven't gone over 5 miles in a few weeks. I finally went to the doc and had an MRI. I have a labral hip tear and won't be running for several weeks. And then he recommends that I switch from long distance running to short distance triathlons or cycling. I mentioned my 70.3 plans and he said the HIM might be too far for my body to handle. The scariest news was that my rt hip is pre-arthritic (at 37!) and so I actually think that I'm going to listen to his advice. It's very frustrating since my social life revolves round running. I'm hoping that my hip will feel good enough in a few weeks to start shorter runs. So the point of this post is that I'm not doing my 20 miler race this weekend and I'm not doing Boise 70.3. And just writing this makes me pretty depressed about my future running. But on the upside, it's a beautiful day and we rented a house in Bend Oregon for the race so we're going anyway and are taking our skis and our raft and will have lots of fun, esp since I won't be exhausted from the race.

Elizabeth - very sorry to hear.  One question, could you discuss with him doing a relay?  You could do the swim/bike and have someone else run?  I know its not what you wanted but getting out there will help.  Believe me when I injured my knee and Dr said no running I was fairly depressed (my BQ went out the door along with pretty much ever doing a marathon without a lot of walking).  Biking and swimming were my salvation.  FYI, my wife has an aunt up in Bend so say Hi to Shelly when you see her (just kidding).

2012-04-14 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4150824

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
ransick - 2012-04-14 5:16 PM

Ouch, that is tough news Elizabeth.  Sorry to hear that.  Once it is healed, can you start doing some hip strengthening like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GLrKr54yA0 and this http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=18359  ?

You might want to get a second opinion from a doc that treats endurance athletes too.  Opinions can vary wildly.

+1 on this

2012-04-15 2:37 AM

User image

Expert

elizabethk - 2012-04-13 9:14 AM Hey everyone - ive been having lots of hip pain the last couple of weeks on my runs and haven't gone over 5 miles in a few weeks. I finally went to the doc and had an MRI. I have a labral hip tear and won't be running for several weeks. And then he recommends that I switch from long distance running to short distance triathlons or cycling. I mentioned my 70.3 plans and he said the HIM might be too far for my body to handle. The scariest news was that my rt hip is pre-arthritic (at 37!) and so I actually think that I'm going to listen to his advice. It's very frustrating since my social life revolves round running. I'm hoping that my hip will feel good enough in a few weeks to start shorter runs. So the point of this post is that I'm not doing my 20 miler race this weekend and I'm not doing Boise 70.3. And just writing this makes me pretty depressed about my future running. But on the upside, it's a beautiful day and we rented a house in Bend Oregon for the race so we're going anyway and are taking our skis and our raft and will have lots of fun, esp since I won't be exhausted from the race.

Sucks!!!  Think about Gary's suggestion, but do take it easy and let yourself heal. 

2012-04-15 3:10 AM

User image

Expert

8 weeks to go! I am getting over an upper respiratory infection/bronchitis.  I ran and rode through it, but swimming was nearly impossible, and after slacking for a week on vacation, I got in just one pool session last week.  Oh well, never will be my strong suit. 

Hope all is well with you all. 

2012-04-15 7:06 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey folks! We have a new member.  I copied his intro from the new group area over to ours.  Please welcome Plato73!

Ready to learn...hope youll help.

NAME: Jose Morales
STORY:  Im 38 and been weight-training since I was 13 yo. Over the years I have had some pretty interesting injuries, some severe, some not so severe. Most recent on was a partially torn r bicep tendon (distal). I got to pondering, and decided to change my focus from anaerobic to aerobic. I decided that I wanted to begin doing Triathlons, so here I am
FAMILY STATUS: Single; 2 wonderful kids 
CURRENT TRAINING: I am doing the  super-sprint at the PearlTri here in San Antonio, Texas, June 03 of 2012. I have been going off of the Complete Idiots Guide to Tiathlon Training by Steve Katai and Colin Barr, so far so good.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: PearlTri June 3, 2012

WEIGHTLOSS: I hover right at about 240-250 lbs, and I am currently focusing on getting my weight below 230  lbs for the race.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Someone who has been where I am at and wants to help get to where they are at and beyondd.

2012-04-15 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4151405

User image

Master
St. Louis
GaryRM - 2012-04-15 7:06 AM

Hey folks! We have a new member.  I copied his intro from the new group area over to ours.  Please welcome Plato73!

Ready to learn...hope youll help.

NAME: Jose Morales
STORY:  Im 38 and been weight-training since I was 13 yo. Over the years I have had some pretty interesting injuries, some severe, some not so severe. Most recent on was a partially torn r bicep tendon (distal). I got to pondering, and decided to change my focus from anaerobic to aerobic. I decided that I wanted to begin doing Triathlons, so here I am
FAMILY STATUS: Single; 2 wonderful kids 
CURRENT TRAINING: I am doing the  super-sprint at the PearlTri here in San Antonio, Texas, June 03 of 2012. I have been going off of the Complete Idiots Guide to Tiathlon Training by Steve Katai and Colin Barr, so far so good.
THIS YEAR'S RACES: PearlTri June 3, 2012

WEIGHTLOSS: I hover right at about 240-250 lbs, and I am currently focusing on getting my weight below 230  lbs for the race.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: Someone who has been where I am at and wants to help get to where they are at and beyondd.

Welcome Jose!

2012-04-15 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

elizabethk - 2012-04-13 9:14 AM Hey everyone - ive been having lots of hip pain the last couple of weeks on my runs and haven't gone over 5 miles in a few weeks. I finally went to the doc and had an MRI. I have a labral hip tear and won't be running for several weeks. And then he recommends that I switch from long distance running to short distance triathlons or cycling. I mentioned my 70.3 plans and he said the HIM might be too far for my body to handle. The scariest news was that my rt hip is pre-arthritic (at 37!) and so I actually think that I'm going to listen to his advice. It's very frustrating since my social life revolves round running. I'm hoping that my hip will feel good enough in a few weeks to start shorter runs. So the point of this post is that I'm not doing my 20 miler race this weekend and I'm not doing Boise 70.3. And just writing this makes me pretty depressed about my future running. But on the upside, it's a beautiful day and we rented a house in Bend Oregon for the race so we're going anyway and are taking our skis and our raft and will have lots of fun, esp since I won't be exhausted from the race.

Ok ... I know this is a big disappointment to you.  Not to sound unsympathetic, but how 'bout focus on your strengths and what you CAN do.  Again, this is a disappointment, but there are a lot of things you CAN do.  From your logs, you lay down some blistering times in the pool … so that’s working for you.  You mentioned the social aspect with running – do you ride with the local cycle club and join group rides on a periodic basis?  If not, maybe check it out - it may fill the social gap aspect.  Most cycle clubs tailor rides to fit the needs; i.e. speed levels of the club members.  

Gary’s suggestion with the relay is really good.  I’ve done this a couple of times with my daughters and it was a blast.

Now … HTFU and get back out there

2012-04-15 11:05 PM

User image

Expert
Best run of the year today.  My 11 year-old daughter rode along on her bike and we had a great 45' of running/riding and just chatting.  I think I am starting to figure this all out.
2012-04-16 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Sparta

Elizabeth, Bummer on the news. One nice thing about being an athlete is having the will and desire to overcome obstacles. We adjust the plan and keep moving forward. Great advice from everyone in the group, hang tough.

2012-04-16 10:53 AM

New user

San Antonio

Thanks yall! 

FUnny story, they had a $13 special on tattoo at a local shop so of course i was there a half hour before they opened . Long story short, didnt realize I shouldnt be in water due to the tat for at LEAST 2 weeks Surprised!

anyway, i swim twice a week, so im gonna miss 4 swim sessions. that being said, im gonna substitue the elliptical and rowing machine for swim, what yall think??

Edited by plato73 2012-04-16 4:02 PM
2012-04-16 6:31 PM
in reply to: #4153459

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
plato73 - 2012-04-16 10:53 AM

anyway, i swim twice a week, so im gonna miss 4 swim sessions. that being said, im gonna substitue the elliptical and rowing machine for swim, what yall think??

Jose, don't think you have much choice and you are trying to keep something going.  The only thing I question is the swim twice a week.  You didn't mention what kind of swimmer you are.  If swimming is a strong suit for you then never mind but if it isn't 2x swim a week is a bit light IMHO.  Either way, bummer about the 2 weeks out but do the alternatives and maybe concentrate a little more on running or biking.

At lunch today went to the golf driving range to warm up for a company golf tourney this Thursday.  I am horrible at golf and haven't hit a ball in a couple of years.  Did okay but now my left elbow is a bit sore.  Will just have to wing it Thursday, its a scramble/best ball so I will concentrate on drinking beer more and golfing less!

2012-04-16 11:02 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Hi All,

Been trying to read/catch up on everyone.

Dorm- love the new profile pic. Been meaning to tell ya but keep forgetting.

Gary- Can't believe NO 70.3 is here already. Good luck this weekend. Soo disappointed because I can't volunteer this year. Good luck. Can't wait to read the race report. Hope there's no issue with the swim this year.

Elizabeth- so sorry about your news. It really sucks to be told we can't do something we love. Others have offered great suggestions so I don't really have much to add. The only thing I can say is I understand about facing our limitations and being forced to work around them. I find myself getting frustated with my training because I wan't to do more and improve but I can't because of my heart issues. I have to fight with my cardiologist just to be allowed to train for sprint tris which frustrates me terribly. But I have to keep reminding myself to be happy that I can do something. I just have to figure out what I can do and learn to make the most of that. I agree though, that some days it just sucks. So have that day and then figure out what you can do and move on. You are strong and will get through it.

Jose- welcome to the group. Nice to have new people.

Chris and Robert- great job on the running. Robert- nothing like spending time training and having quality time with your kids. Chris- way to go on the miles. I am right there with you. The first time I reached 50 miles in one month I thought I won the lottery.

Mike- are you doing New Orleans 70.3? I know you did last year so I was just wondering. If so good luck.

I'm sorry if I missed anyone.

Shelly
2012-04-17 1:43 AM
in reply to: #4154481

New user

San Antonio

good point about the type of swimmer i am, yet i dont know how to gauge myself to be honest. i had to put myself in a category, i would say average or slightly above average...i hope lol. I realize the amount of swimming that i am doing seems light, however i am going off of the workout regimen that is in the book that i mentioned. also,  i am doing the Super-sprint so its only 200 meters, at least for the tri that i am doing. i was considering doing the regular sprint, but i thought it wiser to start with the super sprint since it was my first go round. 

good luck on thursday brotha

2012-04-17 5:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Hi all ... I've been working some long hours (14 hr days) with work last week and this one, so not much time to catch up. 

Just want to root on Gary for the race this weekend ... hammer down man - make us proud!!

2012-04-17 12:39 PM

Georgia

NAME: SarahT

STORY:  45 years old. I did several sprint tris eleven or twelve years ago. Then moved to ultra marathons. I've done over 100 ultras now, from 50k to 100 miles. Loads of marathon, too. I'm slow, but I get 'er done. Have always wanted to get back into tris. Have now decided that this is the year for a full IM, so I've signed up for Beach to Battleship on Oct 20. But of course, as luck would have it, I've been injured since I signed up for it! Just getting back to running, but biking and swimming are both coming along nicely.

FAMILY STATUS: Single but in a long term relationship, no kids, too many cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: Swimming with a team twice a week, spin twice a week. Long ride on the weekend. Running only once or twice per week right now, less than an hour.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Beast of the East 1/2 Iron on May 20! The big one (Beach to Battleship) is October 20. Hopefully several sprints/olympics between the two.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've been around 150 for years, despite doing 5-10 ultras & marathons per year. Hoping IM training will get some weight off!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115