BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-07-21 1:05 AM
in reply to: #895238

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ...
Robb - 2007-07-21 1:35 PM

Well the race went well!  The 'running the first lap faster' worked very splendid. 

To break 30min I would have to run under 6min/km.  At the first km marker I looked down and saw 5:20 on my watch.  Woot!  Kept pumping and hit the turn around at 13:30.  I thought, thats like having 1:30 in the bank.  I held the pace pretty well the way back, even though it was all uphill, and managed 28:05!  I saw 27:55 on the clock and sprinted my off, passing 3 people.  I mean I was really moving it lol.  But I still smoked my goal so I was happy and felt so good after.

I didn't stay for the free beer/burger as there was a line up of about 300people and only 1 bbq going so I just said forget it and walked home. 

Robb, that's fantastic. Well done. The sky, as they say, is the limit. What a perfect way to celebrate your last weekend of freedom!

Well done on the job. To have a job you like is one of the biggest acheivments in your life (second of course to sub 30 times) so two great acheivements of the week. Sorry about the speeling but just got back from Honkers and am wacked.

Go fill your mug with some cold beer (Moosehead?) and celebrate in style. Well done.

PS I guess I'm going to have to get my butt in gear if you're not going to show me a clean pair of heels next June.

2007-07-21 6:45 AM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Expert
Okay Rob, you need a new pet name.....instead of Robster, I think Robbit (instead of Rabbit), but that might make Mark snicker in light of his hobbit experience......so then maybe it will be Robbette (Corvette).......or even Robnado the Tornado......hmmmm, might need to think about this......

Great job though! My stupid hamstring is still twinging even when I walk. I'm registered for the Bix July 28. It's a 7 mile hilly run in Davenport with a cap this year of 15,000! The super fast Kenyans are always there, and many of the pro elites, several Elvises, a few M&M's, etc. I'll go as a 40 year old Mom with 3 kids and a hamstring tear and at least walk it (I hope). Haven't figured out the babysitting thing yet just because I didn't know if I could A)run it or even walk it and B)manage the drive there and back without fainting. So C) what the heck to do with the kids is just a little part of the puzzle. My favorite scenerio would be to find a friend to come along and bring the kids too and let them all get a feel for the hoopla of a huge race. And let friend drive if I get goofy!

Mark--well done on managing to turn on your computer, much less type whole sentences that make sense and even are encouraging and all that while snockered. I just sit under the table and laugh hysterically until someone takes me home on just half a glass of wine! But then, I'd probably go home with someone cute and athletic on no alcohol at all---especially if he's in his 20's!! Female midlife crisis......

Someone gave me a recipe for homemade Starbuck's frappuccino's yesterday--the key is Hershey's chocolate syrup! Who knew? Obviously, it's kicking in for me this morning

Hey girls--I want to hear all about that swim-a-thon! If I wasn't such a fainting Belle (must remember to loosen my corsette) I'd be there in a heartbeat! I just got in my thyroid meds from Mexico yesterday and I'm hoping they work better for me. Been on a different kind and it wasn't working for me too well. I'm also trying a new asthma medication that you take DAILY instead of the rescue kind that you take after you've gotten yourself into a tizzy and hope it helps. This one is more preventative and relaxes the inside muscles of your ribcage--it's especially for exercise induced asthma! And I bought a book on normalizing brain chemistry naturally. I haven't gotten too far with it, but it looks good. I'll let you all know how it works for me!

I have all my pledges for the MS 150, if everyone follows through! Hit up the dude I bought the new washer from, and my Saudi Arabia nurse patient is pledging, and the Velo club pledged yesterday!!!! How cool is that!!! We are all in a tizzy here because one of our fellow bikers was deliberately hit by a truck a few weeks ago and has compression fractures in his low back, a broken ankle and a concussion and the cops don't want to press charges against the truck driver! Everyone has been on their butts about it!!! (see my weenie like fears about biking are valid--I told you the drivers here are NUTS! They almost hit me several times just around here and now I've been just training indoors) And the tri club sent out a warning yesterday about a mugger/rapist on one of the trails--it's a running and biking trail and one of our members outran a dude with the help of a biker on the trail and got away! I guess we'll have to have body guards to train now or go out in packs! Or get really good at putting up with indoor training! Well, I DO have a 9mm...............
2007-07-21 10:48 AM

User image

Aaah, hamstring injuries suck. I had that one earlier this year (i think I got it in yoga of all places)- my yoga teacher told me to not stretch it at all once he heard i injured it. I stopped doing yoga for a few weeks (well, months now) and it slowly healed. It still flares up about once every few weeks but only for a day or so and its better. I know you know how to heal yourself but make sure you are icing at least 2x/day, dont stretch it, and dont do hilly workouts! Those little tiny torn muscle fibers need to time to knit back together! Im glad you decided to not throw the towel in Pene, I mean, Prof is right- moderation is the key! Its still your first year of racing! Sprint tri's and shorter races are the way to get into the sport. Dont forget I had never done a tri longer than a sprint until last month. And it took me 5 years of running to get the courage to try anything longer than a 10k.

Robb- you continue to show us all up. Good job! Its amazing what you can do when you set your mind to it. I love seeing the improvement curve on all you newbies! The difference between my first set of race times and the following years was vast, its such a good feeling to see the improvement.
2007-07-21 12:17 PM

Veteran
Ontario

haha thanks for the kind words guys.

Pene, have you tried a vanilla bean frappuccino from starbucks?  If I could make that at home like they do, I would weigh 700lbs.  It is pure sex in a cup (it is also like, 600calories for a small).

Is the MS150 where you ride 50miles Saturday, and then 100miles the next day?  Or the other way around?

Mark, moosehead is alright.  After spending some time in Europe though, I have become a bit of a beer snob.  Canada is great for good cheap beers, but for actual good beer, I like the dark Belgium brews.  Only takes about one to put me asleep though :D

2007-07-21 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Robette--the fraps I drink are 200 calories, which is bad enough! Pure sex in a cup, huh? Hmmm....... The MS 150 is 75 miles each day. I'm doing one hour intervals today and trying to concentrate on maintaining 17-18 mph because the 3 ladies in LaCrosse that I can be on a team with are 16-18 mph gals. I haven't given them an official answer yet because I want to be able to maintain that speed! On a break currently....well, they give you breaks on the ride every 10-15 miles, so I figure it's okay to do so in practice. (give me a break, I'm OLD).

Liz, thanks for the hamstring advice. I haven't been icing actually. Guess I'll start. It's just so hard to be patient. When did you start running again? I'm on week 4 now I think. And I haven't run but 2miles this whole month......yikes! I'm trying to look long term here and let it heal completely. Never really had a tear before, so I have nothing to compare it to. Everyone heals differently. And I'm OLD........
2007-07-22 5:42 AM
in reply to: #893908

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Had something here, but never mind.

Edited by prof40 2007-07-22 5:53 AM

2007-07-22 5:43 AM
in reply to: #895238

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Robb - 2007-07-21 1:35 AM

But I still smoked my goal so I was happy and felt so good after.

Feels great when that happens, doesn't it? Nice job.
2007-07-22 10:22 AM
in reply to: #895361

User image

phoenixrising404 - 2007-07-21 10:35 AM

Liz, thanks for the hamstring advice. I haven't been icing actually. Guess I'll start. It's just so hard to be patient. When did you start running again? I'm on week 4 now I think. And I haven't run but 2miles this whole month......yikes! I'm trying to look long term here and let it heal completely. Never really had a tear before, so I have nothing to compare it to. Everyone heals differently. And I'm OLD........

I think I took about 2weeks off and then just did easy short runs getting back into it. Have you tryed any water jogging? They have those flotationn belts that you can put on and run in the pool with. I mean, its boring, but lots of injured runners train that way. The thing is, it takes 4-6 weeks for most muscloskeletal injuries to heal. I probably didnt give mine enough time and thats why It lasted a long time.
2007-07-23 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Someone else suggested water jogging as well, so I'll have to try to make that happen this week. Or else resort to my stupid minitrampoline. Somehow that just doesn't seem like progress.......but I tried a little run yesterday and my leg did NOT like that. The rest of me did though. Patience, patience.........

I'm getting better at honoring my body. I did a long 4 hour ride Saturday and then of course yesterday I was tired. Not an achiness exactly, more like my endocrine and cardio systems were fried and needed some down time. So I gave it some down time. Didn't clean my house at all. I even took a nap with my 4 year old, read some books to the kids, cuddled with them, played barbies with Micah (mine is the Bewitched barbie of course) and then went to Harry Potter. The drive went okay, probably because of the nap before. It isn't as action packed as the other movies, but I'm such a fan, that I enjoyed it all anyway. Boy can I ever relate to the Luna Lovegood character!!! That was me in my younger years--totally out of it and very very different! I think when you experience death of a family member early on it DOES make you different.

Jeanette--where are you?????

Anyone heard from Malph????

Helen???????

Have a happy Monday everyone
2007-07-23 1:19 PM
in reply to: #895274

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
phoenixrising404 - 2007-07-21 6:45 AM

Hey girls--I want to hear all about that swim-a-thon! If I wasn't such a fainting Belle (must remember to loosen my corsette) I'd be there in a heartbeat! I just got in my thyroid meds from Mexico yesterday and I'm hoping they work better for me. Been on a different kind and it wasn't working for me too well. I'm also trying a new asthma medication that you take DAILY instead of the rescue kind that you take after you've gotten yourself into a tizzy and hope it helps. This one is more preventative and relaxes the inside muscles of your ribcage--it's especially for exercise induced asthma! And I bought a book on normalizing brain chemistry naturally. I haven't gotten too far with it, but it looks good. I'll let you all know how it works for me!

I actually completely forgot about it....my weekend ended up being so busy that it slipped my mind :-( Sorry Quiana!!!
2007-07-24 12:01 AM

User image

OK so I signed up for a sprint tri this weekend, forked over extra money for a "tech tee" and everything. I just was getting bored and decided I wanted a short term goal, and a friend of mine and I are going to do it. So, if anyone feels like doing another cross-world team challenge, my race will start at 9:30am PST , thats 11:30 for the midwest, 12:30 for you east coasters, and maybe 5:30pm for Mark. I would love to have you guys racing with me in spirit!
Oh, Mark, you havent floated away have you?? I heard there is some major flooding over there?? Damm global warming!

2007-07-24 1:31 AM
in reply to: #898355

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
watergirl777 - 2007-07-24 1:01 PM

OK so I signed up for a sprint tri this weekend, forked over extra money for a "tech tee" and everything. I just was getting bored and decided I wanted a short term goal, and a friend of mine and I are going to do it. So, if anyone feels like doing another cross-world team challenge, my race will start at 9:30am PST , thats 11:30 for the midwest, 12:30 for you east coasters, and maybe 5:30pm for Mark. I would love to have you guys racing with me in spirit!
Oh, Mark, you havent floated away have you?? I heard there is some major flooding over there?? Damm global warming!

The TI lessons have come in handy! 18 cm of rain in about 6 hours! Fortunately I live on a hill so it's not really a problem but getting around is a bit tricky.
Nothing like your Katrina stuff but it has rolled the politicians out to quickly do nothing and the press to take photographs of kittens trapped in trees etc.

I can't make next weekend as I will be in France but I will be cheering you on.

Prof, how did you get on with your Monday challenge?

Edited by Mark Stanley 2007-07-24 1:34 AM
2007-07-25 5:59 AM
in reply to: #898355

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
watergirl777 - 2007-07-24 1:01 AM

I'm on the tentative list for a sprint on Saturday. It will take me longer to drive there and back to do the race, but if I'm in the mood and expected houseguests do not arrive, I'll hit the road and do it. 400 meter swim, 21 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run.

Glad to see someone else is a bit bored and looking for some action, too!
2007-07-25 6:03 AM
in reply to: #898407

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Mark Stanley - 2007-07-24 2:31 AM

watergirl777 - 2007-07-24 1:01 PM

The TI lessons have come in handy! 18 cm of rain in about 6 hours! Fortunately I live on a hill so it's not really a problem but getting around is a bit tricky.
Nothing like your Katrina stuff but it has rolled the politicians out to quickly do nothing and the press to take photographs of kittens trapped in trees etc.

I can't make next weekend as I will be in France but I will be cheering you on.

Prof, how did you get on with your Monday challenge?

I skipped the Monday challenge and instead did a Tuesday twosome -- long run, followed by a very sore swim. I had four goals for July, and while I will never hit the bike total I wanted, I'm within striking distance of my run, swim and push-up numbers. So for the next 6 days, I'll focus on those disciplines with a little bike thrown in as a diversion.

How's the Monaco training, and how many days away is that race? Nervous? Excited? Ready to just do the thing and get it over with?
2007-07-25 1:50 PM
in reply to: #900222

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
prof40 - 2007-07-25 7:03 PM

I skipped the Monday challenge and instead did a Tuesday twosome -- long run, followed by a very sore swim. I had four goals for July, and while I will never hit the bike total I wanted, I'm within striking distance of my run, swim and push-up numbers. So for the next 6 days, I'll focus on those disciplines with a little bike thrown in as a diversion.

How's the Monaco training, and how many days away is that race? Nervous? Excited? Ready to just do the thing and get it over with?

How about all three. At once. It is now just over a month away and I have convinced myself I haven't done enough training, have no idea how to take a wetsuit off, will not get there on time etc. I want to do it. Now. Get it over with so I can get back to the comfortable world of training and iddy biddy races. And then do the IronMan France in June. nyone have any idea why I would do this to myself!

Well done on our Tuesday twosome. Go for those goals and treat yourself when you get there!

I'm now away for two weeks with the family in France so I'll only get a bit of running in and maybe some swimming.

Play nice while I'm gone.

Mark
2007-07-27 4:03 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
So it's the end of the month -- 4 days by my count. Is anyone in the final phase of completing a goal or 2 that they had set for July? Robb, I recall you wanted to run 100 km. And Mark wanted to try to do IM distances each week. And I can't forget our English Channel and MS150 competitors.

How close are you all to wrapping things up?

And hey Phoenix, did you really stick to just 5 hours this week?

2007-07-27 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Ha-Ha! I've only logged like TWO hours this week so far! Total slacker here! And now that you've pointed it out, I'll likely have to totally crank it tonight and tomorrow I sacrificed my usual Thursday kill myself day since I have the day off, to go on an actual date with a fellow my own age who bikes! He's 42, raising 3 kids himself--his ex didn't get them and then she died! He did a 12 hour bike race and primarily mountain bikes and swims and he works for Harley Davidson fixing the robotics machines and stuff--he went to college in Industrial Technology. And he's cute and kisses good. And the best part is he emailed me after the date AND called!! Yeah! I might actually have a keeper here. Or at least a biking partner for awhile. He lives 3 hours away, but that's not toooooo bad.

Noah begged for this sweet little used bike that he got from his friend who is moving! You can NEVER have too many bikes, right?

(n+1.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
n+1.bmp (74KB - 33 downloads)
2007-07-27 12:39 PM

Veteran
Ontario

ugh, I still need to find 34km on the run still lol.  I have a 16k planned for this weekend, and a 5k tonight, which leaves me 3 days to  do 13k.  Its not impossible, I just don't know if I will 'get around to it'.

I was supposed to go kayaking today which got canceled when I woke up.  Kind of bummed as I don't feel like trail riding/running/biking, but still want to get outside and do SOMETHING. 

2007-07-27 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Rob--it sounds like the Universe is trying to tell you to SWIM!! You gotta get out there and master the water like you have done witht the land!! Hey, if I can do it, you can! And in a week's time you'll be super fast!
2007-07-28 9:13 AM

User image

ok, doing my pre-race thing- Professor- did you decide to do a race today too? Anyway, I thouhgt I would be totally fine ( not nervous) since Im considering this just like a workout but i woke up at 3 and couldnt sleep for a while! Then I got all mad at myself for being awake, because I really am not worried which then made me even more awake. oh well, I still slept ok the rest of the night.

It should be fun, i meeting a few other people who have writing in the Washington forum on this website. Ill be back with a race report tomorrow!
2007-07-28 10:56 AM

User image

Expert
Go Liz!! You will have fun--I just know it! But I can sure sympathize with those nerves! I think that is about 50% of it for me. I have such a deep seated inferiority complex about my physical self that I find it very hard to even workout with other humans! I'm proud of you for being able to express the nervousness. It makes it easier to know you are not alone in that! I break out into a sweat just thinking about doing an IM some day. All those super people surrounding me--oh my--could I even TRY to do a race with them?

I got an email from my tri club the other day that might be interesting to you all:

"Phil Strand and I are out here riding 500 miles across Iowa in the RAGBRAI this week. So are 10,000 + others and Lance Armstrong.

Yesterday we were on mile 82 of a century day when we were very slowly coasting through one of the very small towns when Lance and two crew went shoulder to shoulder past us!
We were a block away from the edge of town so we guessed right that it was our chance to ride with The Man. We booked it up to them along with other riders thinking the same--long story short we got going in a double paceline with Lance at the front of one of them--we were just 3-4 riders back from him--pace was about 21-24 mph--Phil dropped off after about 5 miles and I managed to stay on for almost 9 miles when we had to go around a corner and up a serious incline. Lance and crew apparently decided to see what everyone was made of--as they rounded the corner they were all up out of the saddle and put on the afterburners!! They spit all but a couple riders of the 35 or so riders who had latched on!! Another guy and I were trying to catch the but we were hammering 27 mph up the incline and just watching the distance get greater and greater as they crested the hill into the next town and they were gone. It was so cool and totally a thrill!! (and not exactly the way I would ride miles 82-91 of a century!!)"----Keith Stubbendick

I will think of this whenever I get those nervous "oh God, I can't race with these super people" thoughts! Normal folks CAN keep up with the demigods! And what a thrill to be able to say you did, even if it's just a few miles! My life purpose is not to be a Lance Armstrong. But I am thankful we have the Lance's of the world to expand our ideas of what is possible!

2007-07-29 5:24 AM
in reply to: #904997

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
watergirl777 - 2007-07-28 10:13 AM

It should be fun, i meeting a few other people who have writing in the Washington forum on this website. Ill be back with a race report tomorrow!

Looking forward to hearing how you did!
2007-07-29 5:33 AM
in reply to: #905067

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-07-28 11:56 AM

Normal folks CAN keep up with the demigods! And what a thrill to be able to say you did, even if it's just a few miles! My life purpose is not to be a Lance Armstrong. But I am thankful we have the Lance's of the world to expand our ideas of what is possible!

How is it that everyone else in the world has these amazing incidents where they brush with greatness, and mine always seem to be in the mens' rooms of airports? I'd tell you about all the people I've stood next to, but you know, this is already sounding creepy!

How was week 1 of the limited exercise plan? Sleeping better? Feeling happier? Kids like having mom around?
2007-07-29 5:44 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Well, it's the end of the month, and I have 22.7 miles to run and 10,100 yards to swim before midnight of the 31st. Not that there's anything at risk if I don't. This is/was simply a challenge to myself to see if I could hit what I considered an almost impossible mileage total. (And I've already conceded defeat of my bike goal. For whatever reason, I just did not feel like sitting on it at all this month, which is odd as I really do enjoy riding.)

So that's what I'm up to. How's everyone else?
2007-07-29 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Okay, spill it--who'd you get to stand next to??? And I'm a catwoman, so you have to tell me how they were endowed!! You know, the scale of 1-10 where a 10 is a porn star proportion and one is what you'd expect a midget to have. Hey, you started it........

Yep, I'm feeling better. Drove to the lake and didn't feel fainty one bit. I'm sleeping like a bear in hibernation and my neck still hurts, but I have a chiro appt. next week for myself and I'm working on it myself until then. At least I'm not waking up with headaches every blasted morning and living on Excedrin! (have to quit hitting my head in the pool....) I"m also trying to just have fun with this stuff again. Took the kids to the lake and it was all icky with green slime and stuff, but we had fun anyway. Tried water jogging. Not fun. Swam a bit and decided I hate the taste of the slime so sort of gave that up and went home. I have the MS 150 next weekend so I think it's okay to sort of slack now. I'm actually looking forward to it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72