Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 137

2009-05-08 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL
Am I missing out on a ritual that all us Triathletes get the chance to do? Do I need a name for my bike? Do any of you have a name for your speed machine?

2009-05-08 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2139202

User image

Master
New York, NY
Newtons1st - 2009-05-08 2:17 PM Am I missing out on a ritual that all us Triathletes get the chance to do? Do I need a name for my bike? Do any of you have a name for your speed machine?

I don't have a name for my bike, and doubtful I'll ever name it.
2009-05-08 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2139202

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Newtons1st - 2009-05-08 1:17 PM Am I missing out on a ritual that all us Triathletes get the chance to do? Do I need a name for my bike? Do any of you have a name for your speed machine?

My Name is on my bike...but my bike itself, short of the brand name/model (QRoo Tequilo), it doesn't get/have a name.

Your's Todd ~ The BT Special! ~ or do you only listen to her when you run...  hardy, har, har, har....   There is usually a two drink minimum when I do my routine...  peace bro!

2009-05-08 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2139239

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
No special name for mine either.  Do you know a lot of triathletes that do?

KelliD - 2009-05-08 1:32 PM
Newtons1st - 2009-05-08 2:17 PM Am I missing out on a ritual that all us Triathletes get the chance to do? Do I need a name for my bike? Do any of you have a name for your speed machine?

2009-05-11 7:30 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
I have a name for mine... but BT won't let me post it.

It rhymes with buck and ends with "er".

Happy Monday all.  I slept no more than 3 hours a night since Thursday night and am about ready to kill anyone who looks at me or denies coffee.  I need a nap bad.
2009-05-11 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2139318

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Justin you know that name it already taken by my speedo!!!

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-05-08 2:02 PM
Newtons1st - 2009-05-08 1:17 PM Am I missing out on a ritual that all us Triathletes get the chance to do? Do I need a name for my bike? Do any of you have a name for your speed machine?

My Name is on my bike...but my bike itself, short of the brand name/model (QRoo Tequilo), it doesn't get/have a name.

Your's Todd ~ The BT Special! ~ or do you only listen to her when you run...  hardy, har, har, har....   There is usually a two drink minimum when I do my routine...  peace bro!

Edited by Newtons1st 2009-05-11 8:26 AM

2009-05-11 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2139324

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
I read on here quite a few saying thier bike had a name so I thought I might be missing out. Guess I am not.

Betsy0706 - 2009-05-08 2:05 PM No special name for mine either.  Do you know a lot of triathletes that do?

2009-05-11 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2142610

User image

Master
Houston
Happy Monday! Sounds like you had a fun filled weekend, get that coffee in ya before someone gets hurt!

Nicole83 - 2009-05-11 7:30 AM I have a name for mine... but BT won't let me post it.

It rhymes with buck and ends with "er".

Happy Monday all.  I slept no more than 3 hours a night since Thursday night and am about ready to kill anyone who looks at me or denies coffee.  I need a nap bad.
2009-05-11 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2142773

User image

Master
Houston
I don't have a name for mine either but it is a girl since I say 'she' all the time. 

Newtons1st - 2009-05-11 8:26 AM I read on here quite a few saying thier bike had a name so I thought I might be missing out. Guess I am not.

Betsy0706 - 2009-05-08 2:05 PM No special name for mine either.  Do you know a lot of triathletes that do?

2009-05-11 10:26 AM

User image

Happy Monday gang... I feel like May is crumbling away underneath my feet.  I know many, if not all, things that have interferred with my training (plans) have been out of my control, but I still feel like I am just wandering around aimlessly...  I am having difficulty refocusing, and keeping a positive attitude about this month and the pending future.

I keep telling myself "take it one day at a time!"... I know I have only missed a few days, but at what point do you begin to consider the loss of fitness (especially with the changing climate - getting hotter and more humid).  I felt I had made some great gains the last few months, and it feels like it is slipping through my fingers right now.

Do y'all think I am looking too far down the road (June 28th - BSLT 70.3)?  Or should I be looking much shorter term until it gets closer?  Where would y'all be with this? 

Edited by Tri_n_2_b_fast 2009-05-11 11:44 AM
2009-05-11 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2143170

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
I think you need to download some BT and hit the ground running. I would sing some lyrics for you but my voice doesnt do it justice. Start with a small ball of snow and start rolling it before you know it you will be an avalanch of motivation and training destruction.  Just get in one workout and start from there. A few days are noting to the months you have put in. You got this man!!!

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-05-11 10:26 AM Happy Monday gang... I feel like May is crumbling away underneath my feet.  I know many, if not all, things that have interferred with my training (plans) have been out of my control, but I still feel like I am just wandering around aimlessly...  I am having difficulty refocusing, and keeping a positive attitude about this month and the pending future.

I keep telling myself "take it one day at a time!"... I know I have only missed a few days, but at what point do you begin to consider the loss of fitness (especially with the changing climate - getting hotter and more humid).  I felt I had made some great gains the last few months, and it feels like it is slipping through my fingers right now.

Do y'all think I am looking too far down the road (June 28th - BSLT 70.3)?  Or should I be looking much shorter term until it gets closer?  Where would y'all be with this? 

2009-05-11 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX

There are always things we can't control.  Don't be so hard on yourself!  I wouldn't be able to manage ANY workouts with only four hours sleep much less good workouts.  It's only May and you've logged lots of SBR workouts.  Let your body recover and then start working out again.  Just like you said...take it one day at a time!

BTW - All us Texans are suffering in this heat and humidity!  Our bodies have to adjust again. 

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-05-11 10:26 AM Happy Monday gang... I feel like May is crumbling away underneath my feet.  I know many, if not all, things that have interferred with my training (plans) have been out of my control, but I still feel like I am just wandering around aimlessly...  I am having difficulty refocusing, and keeping a positive attitude about this month and the pending future.

2009-05-11 1:56 PM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-05-11 11:26 AM Happy Monday gang... I feel like May is crumbling away underneath my feet.  I know many, if not all, things that have interferred with my training (plans) have been out of my control, but I still feel like I am just wandering around aimlessly...  I am having difficulty refocusing, and keeping a positive attitude about this month and the pending future.

I know I need to take my own advice on this one, but try not to stress and focus on the things that are beyond your control.  It happens to all of us.  Instead, stay positive and focus on the things that you can control. 

You've logged some awesome training and had some awesome races recently!!  Even with, some missed days and being "off" right now you're not going to lose all of your fitness....even if it feel like it right now.  For me personally, I start to feel a loss in fitness if I skip a long bike/run for a couple weeks in a row or if I go full week without any activity.
2009-05-11 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Houston
You've got the right mental attitude, one day at a time! You're not going to lose your fitness that quickly, may feel a little sluggish for a couple workouts but you'll be back in the groove in no time.

Don't focus all the way out till the end of June too much can happen between now and then, focus on the workouts you have this week and do the best ya can.  That's all anyone can ask of you, even yourself

2009-05-11 2:24 PM

User image

Thanks for all the feed back guys and gals!  I have been trying to get my mind right by telling myself those same things, but it really does sink in a little better when I read/hear from like minded folks who truly understand what I am dealing with.  Not that I don't have other faults... BUT, my single biggest fault ~ and I really try not to dwell on this ~ is that I am way too hard on myself... I tread a thin line between desired success and having fun.  I need to stay on the fun side more often, and that is something I really am trying to focus on. 

Thanks again for the kick in the pants ~ tomorrow is a new day, and I will continue to move forward and quit looking back.  My life and schedule is what it is, and I have to make do ~ find enjoyment in that and keep moving forward!  I guess that will be the mantra for the rest of this month!  Just keep moving forward ~ one day, one work out at a time!
2009-05-12 7:57 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Aw, I'm so sad I missed a chance to verbally b*tch slap you yesterday, Justin.   But if you still need it today, stop stressing.  Your body needs rest occasionally, so think of these past few days as just that, a chance to recover.

Now get out there and run those sub 6 miles already.

Happy Tuesday everyone.  I slept 13 hours last night and feel marginally more human today.  The trip was okay, a lot of traveling as we had a 3 hour flight followed by a 4 hour drive to get where we were going and back... didn't help that on Sunday our flight home was delayed  by 4 hours which resulted in our not getting home till 230 a.m.  Ugh.

But I'm getting caught up on sleep now.  Another day or two and I'll be human again.

2009-05-12 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
13 hours, thats borderline of hibernation. Glad to hear you are almost back to the land of the walking awake.
2009-05-12 9:28 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY

So, yesterday afternoon I got talked into signing up for an oly this weekend!  The bike course looks like a killer and just straight up scary!!  But, it will be great training for Timberman...which my main reason for doing this race.  At best the water temp will be about 60 degrees..brrrr.  Here's the quad killer, eerr, I mean bike course...2 loops each with a nice 2 mile climb

Bike Course Profile.JPG

2009-05-12 9:30 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Oh yea, I fogot to mention this will be my first time using a wetsuit....ever.  All helpful tips are welcome!!!!
2009-05-12 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2145514

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Cool that you just signed up for it. I thought it was as mini by your logs. Just think you will get the 2 mile down hill and get so much speed built up you can coast over the uphill.

KelliD - 2009-05-12 9:28 AM

So, yesterday afternoon I got talked into signing up for an oly this weekend!  The bike course looks like a killer and just straight up scary!!  But, it will be great training for Timberman...which my main reason for doing this race.  At best the water temp will be about 60 degrees..brrrr.  Here's the quad killer, eerr, I mean bike course...2 loops each with a nice 2 mile climb

Bike Course Profile.JPG

2009-05-12 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2145541

User image

Master
New York, NY
You would think so....BUT....at the bottom of that downhill is a hairpin turn.....goodbye speed & momentum.

There's also a HIM going on with this race as well.  For the oly the swim is .6, and not .9.  I believe they call it a "mini" bc it's essentially half of the HIM.

Newtons1st - 2009-05-12 10:35 AM Cool that you just signed up for it. I thought it was as mini by your logs. Just think you will get the 2 mile down hill and get so much speed built up you can coast over the uphill.

KelliD - 2009-05-12 9:28 AM

Bike Course Profile.JPG

2009-05-12 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
I know this is basic stuff but I feel so much better this past week in training. I upped my cals by about 400-500 per day and that has made a heck of a difference. I was trying to eat minimally and didint realize how low I actually was until I added it all up. I was about 1900 cals.  The workouts were getting tough toward the end of the week and I just chaulked it up to trianing. The run I had on Saturday and even last nights that I added some distance on (I know small distance) felt really good. I really didnt feel like I was taxing myself. So another lesson learned. Plus I also lost a lb last week. Goal is 1 per week.  
2009-05-12 9:49 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Kelli, I've heard that race distance refered to as a Quartermax before.

Those hills look fun.  I love cycling on hills.  Running on them however, is another story.

And way to go Todd!
2009-05-12 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2145572

User image

Master
Houston
Congrats on the lb! It's pretty common for people who are trying to lose weight to not eat enough.  It's a balancing act of having enough energy to do your workouts yet reduce your calories.  1900 is way too little though, glad you calculated it out and realized. Also, contrary to diet beliefs you need to eat carbs! Especailly as an endurance athelte, it's the fuel that your body uses and carbs are required for your body to burn fat as well.

Newtons1st - 2009-05-12 9:43 AM I know this is basic stuff but I feel so much better this past week in training. I upped my cals by about 400-500 per day and that has made a heck of a difference. I was trying to eat minimally and didint realize how low I actually was until I added it all up. I was about 1900 cals.  The workouts were getting tough toward the end of the week and I just chaulked it up to trianing. The run I had on Saturday and even last nights that I added some distance on (I know small distance) felt really good. I really didnt feel like I was taxing myself. So another lesson learned. Plus I also lost a lb last week. Goal is 1 per week.  
2009-05-12 12:53 PM

User image

Kelli ~ wow on the bike course!  Looks like a good challenge, which I am certain you are up to!  The idea of the hairpin at the bottom of a steep downhill would worry me more than the climbs.  I am confident in my bike handling skills, but it's the other riders that would get me concerned. 

WETSUIT tips...  I don't have many, but this is what I have learned:

Body Glide (copius amounts) around neck, arm pits and ankles.
I use a plastic shopping bag (like Eric's expedient toe warmer types) to put my wetsuit on.  Place foot in bag and step into wetsuit ~ foot slides right through, pull off bag and repeat for other foot and hands (if full sleeve).  I think there is a video of it on youtube.  A Macca secret...  I use it and it helps a lot.

You can soak your wetsuit in water (bathtub) the night before the race and then hang to dry... just don't forget to take it with ya in the morning...  I have read this on several different occasions, but I am still not clear on what the soaking of the suit does. 

Definitely climb in the water and get wet (water in the suit) before the race starts... it will be warmer quicker... then layer of warm water between your body and the suit.

Good luck... good training race! but I still believe you will do better than just using it for training!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137