BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-04-17 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4156057

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open
coexist - 2012-04-17 12:39 PM

NAME: SarahT

STORY:  45 years old. I did several sprint tris eleven or twelve years ago. Then moved to ultra marathons. I've done over 100 ultras now, from 50k to 100 miles. Loads of marathon, too. I'm slow, but I get 'er done. Have always wanted to get back into tris. Have now decided that this is the year for a full IM, so I've signed up for Beach to Battleship on Oct 20. But of course, as luck would have it, I've been injured since I signed up for it! Just getting back to running, but biking and swimming are both coming along nicely.

FAMILY STATUS: Single but in a long term relationship, no kids, too many cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: Swimming with a team twice a week, spin twice a week. Long ride on the weekend. Running only once or twice per week right now, less than an hour.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Beast of the East 1/2 Iron on May 20! The big one (Beach to Battleship) is October 20. Hopefully several sprints/olympics between the two.

WEIGHTLOSS: I've been around 150 for years, despite doing 5-10 ultras & marathons per year. Hoping IM training will get some weight off!

Welcome Sarah!!!

2012-04-17 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4133329

Georgia
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed
ccoffin - 2012-04-05 10:24 PM

Glucosamine has come a long way since they realized how good it is for joints.  When it was first recommended to me about 9 years ago, you needs 5-6 pills three times a day.  Now they're down to 1 pill twice daily.

ccoffin, which brand glucosamine do you recommend? I'm doing fish oil, but  think adding the gluc would be good. Can't hurt. My joints are getting older and I've pounded them pretty hard over the last few years.

2012-04-18 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Osteo Bi-Flex works for me.  It's on special a lot of times at the local drug store with buy 1 get 1, and it works best of the brands I've tried.

2012-04-18 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4158137

Georgia
Dorm57 - 2012-04-18 11:49 AM

Osteo Bi-Flex works for me.  It's on special a lot of times at the local drug store with buy 1 get 1, and it works best of the brands I've tried.

Yay! Osteo Bi-Flex is currently 2 for 1 at Walgreens!

2012-04-18 2:33 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

Hey Team!

Been a few days for me.  Super busy!  Lots of stuff going on at school, and had a whirlwind weekend.  Decided to rip out the carpet in my entire house and started Friday night.  Had to clear the whole house of everything and it took all weekend.  New stuff installed Monday (looks great), and started moving everything back in yesterday.  What a PITA!  Able to get a good 4 mile run in yesterday (36:15), and hoping to get back into my bike/swim routines tomorrow.  I'm a month out now and been slacking.....

Welcome to Sarah and Jose!  From another newby, these guys/gals have been very helpful, and good motivators to stick with training!

Sorry about the injury Elizabeth.  Listen to your body, take some time, and then see what happens.  You just never know with athletes.

Go get 'em this weekend Gary!

2012-04-18 3:40 PM

User image

Keller
Gary - good luckSarah/Plato- Welcome. I rarely post, but often read. Look forward to the input that both of you will bring, especially any topics of good running form/technique/tips/etc...

2012-04-18 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Sarah & Jose ... welcome to the group and to the sport/s.  You'll find lot's of encouragement from the group here along with good tips, fun and our comments on training, aches-pains and overall struggles with life, training and such.  All here have so much in common. 

The one thing I encourage you to do immediately is to start recording your training sessions in the training log.  Before you know it a month has gone by and it can be gratifying (or not) to see the results of your hard work. 

And for me ... as I am a cyclist first - it's important to know the rules.  Yes there are cycling rules, so please check these out and remember the most important rule is:

• Rule no. 1
  • Along with my favorites - Rules no.10 and 43:

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Edited by Dorm57 2012-04-18 8:06 PM
2012-04-18 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4154848

User image

Master
St. Louis

fitmomma2010 - 2012-04-16 11:02 PM Hi All, Been trying to read/catch up on everyone. Dorm- love the new profile pic. Been meaning to tell ya but keep forgetting. Gary- Can't believe NO 70.3 is here already. Good luck this weekend. Soo disappointed because I can't volunteer this year. Good luck. Can't wait to read the race report. Hope there's no issue with the swim this year. Elizabeth- so sorry about your news. It really sucks to be told we can't do something we love. Others have offered great suggestions so I don't really have much to add. The only thing I can say is I understand about facing our limitations and being forced to work around them. I find myself getting frustated with my training because I wan't to do more and improve but I can't because of my heart issues. I have to fight with my cardiologist just to be allowed to train for sprint tris which frustrates me terribly. But I have to keep reminding myself to be happy that I can do something. I just have to figure out what I can do and learn to make the most of that. I agree though, that some days it just sucks. So have that day and then figure out what you can do and move on. You are strong and will get through it. Jose- welcome to the group. Nice to have new people. Chris and Robert- great job on the running. Robert- nothing like spending time training and having quality time with your kids. Chris- way to go on the miles. I am right there with you. The first time I reached 50 miles in one month I thought I won the lottery. Mike- are you doing New Orleans 70.3? I know you did last year so I was just wondering. If so good luck. I'm sorry if I missed anyone. Shelly

No Nola for me this year Shelly.  Gary is going to have to carry the group :-)

2012-04-18 9:19 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario

Hi all.... I hope there's room for me.

NAME: Panther/Dave

STORY:  46 years old. Raced motocross/Hare Scrambles until I was 30.  Spent the next 16 years sedentary and watching my muscles atrophy until I recently woke up to find myself knee deep into my mid-life crisis.  I'm a complete newb to this whole thing.  I'm here to learn and for motivation.  Consistency and self-discipline are my weaknesses.  I started logging here on BT (again) two weeks ago today.  Hope to learn a lot.  Starting from (under) the couch.  Not overweight (6' tall - 174lbs.) just radically out of shape.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 26 years this July.  One daughter (21) getting married this fall.

CURRENT TRAINING: Semi-retired, I have loads of time and all the equipment, but I run out of air ridiculously fast, so I'm starting with the walk/run thing. 

GOALS: Focused on not drowning, being able to run more than 2 minutes or .5km without having to resort to walking and being motivated and consistent.

2012-04-18 9:34 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Dave - Welcome!!! 

Mike - hope to do another race with you some day.

Easy run tonight, so much easier when your legs are somewhat rested. 

2012-04-18 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4159462

User image

Expert
Hammond
Panther - 2012-04-18 9:19 PM

Hi all.... I hope there's room for me.

NAME: Panther/Dave

STORY:  46 years old. Raced motocross/Hare Scrambles until I was 30.  Spent the next 16 years sedentary and watching my muscles atrophy until I recently woke up to find myself knee deep into my mid-life crisis.  I'm a complete newb to this whole thing.  I'm here to learn and for motivation.  Consistency and self-discipline are my weaknesses.  I started logging here on BT (again) two weeks ago today.  Hope to learn a lot.  Starting from (under) the couch.  Not overweight (6' tall - 174lbs.) just radically out of shape.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 26 years this July.  One daughter (21) getting married this fall.

CURRENT TRAINING: Semi-retired, I have loads of time and all the equipment, but I run out of air ridiculously fast, so I'm starting with the walk/run thing. 

GOALS: Focused on not drowning, being able to run more than 2 minutes or .5km without having to resort to walking and being motivated and consistent.

Dave,
Welcome to the group. Congrats on taking the first steps. You'll be amazed at the progress you'll make. Not drowning is great thing to focus on. Drowning really kills your times- lol.

Shelly

2012-04-18 10:18 PM

Veteran
Welcome to the group, new members! The peeps on here have tons of knowledge and everyone's input is appreciated.

I've decided to HTFU (thanks Dorm) and my pity party is over, at least temporarily. Can't run or ride right now so I've decided to focus in my swimming. Im going to sign up for a 5k OWS race this summer and possibly a 10k OWS at the end of the summer. I'm really bad at motivating unless I've paid for a race so if I'm still not able to run or ride by mid-may I'll sign up for it. I don't have a clue how to train for this type of race but know that I'll need to swim a lot (just stating the obvious) so I'm heading to the pool in the morning. I'm also looking at doing the boise 70.3 as a relay.

Hope everyone is having a great week

Good luck this weekend Gary!! Is anyone else racing?
2012-04-18 10:29 PM
in reply to: #4159547

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

elizabethk - 2012-04-18 10:18 PM Welcome to the group, new members! The peeps on here have tons of knowledge and everyone's input is appreciated. I've decided to HTFU (thanks Dorm) and my pity party is over, at least temporarily. Can't run or ride right now so I've decided to focus in my swimming. Im going to sign up for a 5k OWS race this summer and possibly a 10k OWS at the end of the summer. I'm really bad at motivating unless I've paid for a race so if I'm still not able to run or ride by mid-may I'll sign up for it. I don't have a clue how to train for this type of race but know that I'll need to swim a lot (just stating the obvious) so I'm heading to the pool in the morning. I'm also looking at doing the boise 70.3 as a relay. Hope everyone is having a great week Good luck this weekend Gary!! Is anyone else racing?

Elizabeth - So proud of you!!!  Go get them (but do it smart)!

2012-04-18 11:23 PM
in reply to: #4159547

User image

Expert
Hammond
elizabethk - 2012-04-18 10:18 PM

Welcome to the group, new members! The peeps on here have tons of knowledge and everyone's input is appreciated.

I've decided to HTFU (thanks Dorm) and my pity party is over, at least temporarily. Can't run or ride right now so I've decided to focus in my swimming. Im going to sign up for a 5k OWS race this summer and possibly a 10k OWS at the end of the summer. I'm really bad at motivating unless I've paid for a race so if I'm still not able to run or ride by mid-may I'll sign up for it. I don't have a clue how to train for this type of race but know that I'll need to swim a lot (just stating the obvious) so I'm heading to the pool in the morning. I'm also looking at doing the boise 70.3 as a relay.

Hope everyone is having a great week

Good luck this weekend Gary!! Is anyone else racing?

Elizabeth,
You are truly inspirational. I cant even imagine how to train for that. Very impressive goal and attitude.
Shelly
2012-04-19 6:15 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Welcome Dave!

Great attitude Elizabeth!

2012-04-19 7:58 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

Welcome aboard Dave!  Glad to have you.

1 month away.  Someone talk to me about transitions, specifically gear and setup.  Any pictures you may have would be helpful as well.  Most importantly at T1.  T2 shouldn't be too difficult considering I still ride with cages, so there will be no need to change shoes/socks.  I'm going to search around youtube as well to see if I can find any demonstrations.

2012-04-19 8:01 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
I have a couple of pictures of my transition area setup.  Will try to post tonight.
2012-04-19 1:35 PM

User image

New user

Hey Gang,

I am excited to join your group and share my experiences, and also my many questions with you all.

NAME: Scott

STORY:  45 year old former athlete trying to become a current athlete.  I was fortunate to have the opportunity to play college football back in the late 80s.  I have always been a big, strong guy, but somewhere along the way that turned into being a big, fat guy.  I injured my knee two months ago and the doc suggested swimming and biking as good rehab exercises.  I started doing both and began noticing changes in my weight and how I felt in general.  I decided a big goal would help me stay focused and committed to making big changes.  I am going to do a sprint distance tri on August 11.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 20 years in Sept.  Three kids 15, 14 and 11

CURRENT TRAINING: Biking - I commute to work 3x/week, 20 mile round trip.  Swimming - I swim about 750 yds twice a week at the local YMCA.  Running - My knee limits me to walking for now.

GOALS: I want to get healthy, lose weight and be an athlete again.  Triathlon fits right in with that, and I want to finish my first sprint tri on Aug 11 and not embarrass myself.

2012-04-19 7:45 PM
in reply to: #4159894

User image

Master
St. Louis
ccoffin - 2012-04-19 7:58 AM

1 month away.  Someone talk to me about transitions, specifically gear and setup.  Any pictures you may have would be helpful as well.  Most importantly at T1.  T2 shouldn't be too difficult considering I still ride with cages, so there will be no need to change shoes/socks.  I'm going to search around youtube as well to see if I can find any demonstrations.

Watching you tube videos is helpful.  Click on the second picture in my blog post for my set up.  http://blog.ransick.org/2010/05/my-first-tri.html . First I put my helmet upside down on the arrow bars such that I can just flip it up and on my head.  Sunglasses go inside the helmet.  I fold a towel in half and put things on it in the order I use them.  Bike shoes closest to the front with my socks rolled up like condoms so they roll right on wet feet.  Run shoes behind that with number belt underneath and hat if you wear one.  The rest of my stuff is in a bag behind that.  For a list of all the possible things you can bring, you can check out my list here  http://blog.ransick.org/2011/04/hes-making-list-and-check-it-twice.html.  

Let me know any questions you have about my setup.  Keep it as simple as possible.  Your adrenaline will be flowing during the race.

2012-04-19 7:47 PM
in reply to: #4160966

User image

Master
St. Louis
Scottyv6290 - 2012-04-19 1:35 PM

Hey Gang,

I am excited to join your group and share my experiences, and also my many questions with you all.

STORY:  45 year old former athlete trying to become a current athlete.  I was fortunate to have the opportunity to play college football back in the late 80s.  I have always been a big, strong guy, but somewhere along the way that turned into being a big, fat guy.  I injured my knee two months ago and the doc suggested swimming and biking as good rehab exercises.  I started doing both and began noticing changes in my weight and how I felt in general.  I decided a big goal would help me stay focused and committed to making big changes.  I am going to do a sprint distance tri on August 11.

CURRENT TRAINING: Biking - I commute to work 3x/week, 20 mile round trip.  Swimming - I swim about 750 yds twice a week at the local YMCA.  Running - My knee limits me to walking for now.

GOALS: I want to get healthy, lose weight and be an athlete again.  Triathlon fits right in with that, and I want to finish my first sprint tri on Aug 11 and not embarrass myself.

Welcome Scott!  You came to the right place! 

2012-04-19 8:50 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey Gang,

Welcome Scott!

2012-04-19 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond

Hey Gang,

Welcome Scott,
Sounds like you are already half way there with the swimming and riding you are currently doing. No way you could embarrass yourself- just remember - just by showing up you are doing more than the majority of the population.
You will do it and finish strong. Can't wait to read your race report ;-)
Shelly
2012-04-19 9:46 PM
in reply to: #4159894

User image

Expert
Hammond
ccoffin - 2012-04-19 7:58 AM

There is some great articles here and videos on you tube all about transition. Mike already answered about exactly what I do. The only thing I might add is to practice them at a couple of times. I just laid it all out in the den and ran in from the kitchen and practiced like it was a race. I am so glad I did. My first tri, I had socks selected that were a b*tch to get on quickly. They were my favorite socks for running but I had no idea they didn't just pull right on. I had never tried to put them on in a hurry before. It really surprised me. I also figured out to put my sunglasses on the edge of my helmet upside down. That made it very easy to pick them up and go straight on my face with helmet strapped over them. Just little things that saved me time. It seemed crazy at first but it really made a difference on race day.

hth,

Shelly
2012-04-20 12:14 AM

User image

Expert
Hammond
So excited. I finally bit the bullet and became a real member of BT. Well a performance member that is- and no I don't really believe that those who still only use the free membership aren't real members:-). I just finally decided I wanted to get a little more technical with my training especially since I have the Garmin 910. I figured getting a performance membership would be a good start. Next I'm going to do some type of field testing to determine my correct heart rate zones, and then I plan to start training according to heart rate. I'm hoping to one day get a little better than snail pace lol.
Anyway, I just love seeing my little silver medal by my user name. Amazing what little things make us happy huh? I already feel faster- hehe. If only it were that easy.

Shelly
2012-04-20 6:25 AM
in reply to: #4162024

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario

fitmomma2010 - 2012-04-20 1:14 AM So excited. I finally bit the bullet and became a real member of BT. Well a performance member that is- and no I don't really believe that those who still only use the free membership aren't real members:-). I just finally decided I wanted to get a little more technical with my training especially since I have the Garmin 910. I figured getting a performance membership would be a good start. Next I'm going to do some type of field testing to determine my correct heart rate zones, and then I plan to start training according to heart rate. I'm hoping to one day get a little better than snail pace lol. Anyway, I just love seeing my little silver medal by my user name. Amazing what little things make us happy huh? I already feel faster- hehe. If only it were that easy. Shelly

NICE!

The performance packages here are well worth it!

At the moment, I'm trying to ignore the HR thing, as my heart rate goes ballistic just bending over to tie my shoes.

On a self-indulgent note:  Is it possible to make a 'sticky' post on the 1st page with a list of the members of this group so we can 'friend' each other in order to watch training logs and 'inspire'?  I am just finding it a bit daunting to go through 80 pages of posts to see all who are here.  Just wondering.....

Dave

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115