BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 68

2013-12-01 7:19 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed
How the heck did December get here so fast? Stretch/strength starts NOW!

November totals:

Swim: 6h 55m 50s - 20250 Yd

Bike: 24h 01m 16s - 344.01 Mi

Speaking of headlights, I used one of these for the trail race I did that started in the dark. Ultra light, clips on hat/visor...and only $6. It worked perfectly for me, but based on the reviews, you might want buy a few and have backups.

http://www.amazon.com/Cyclops-CYC-MHC-W-Micro-Mini-Light/dp/B001QCX...

2013-12-02 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Back at it today after a bit of a holiday. Hit the pool and did 2500 yards. Steve -- I'm probably too late, but thanks for the heads up on the Trisports sale. I need a couple pairs of shorts.

Signed up for my local sprint yesterday. Wasnt' sure if I was going to do it, but since the start is 2 miles from my house, and its the most convenient race I could imagine, I pulled the trigger. So that's 2 races for next June, but so far nothing afterwards.
2013-12-02 9:58 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I think trisport is good through end of the day today. Also for you infinit users, tomorrow is the sale day for the year.

The code is THESALE2013
Start time is NOON EST Tuesday December 3rd

50% for the first hour
40% for the second hour
30% for the third hour
20% for the last hour.

IMPORTANT Couple of notes:

No multiple orders to multiple accounts. We will know and bad karma will ensue.

During the sale you may only purchase items that are on sale. The items included are:
• Custom 25 servings (MAX of 2 bags)
• One container of either :REPAIR - Chocolate -or- :NOCTURNE Nighttime Recovery.
So the max order is 2 x Custom 25 servings and one of EITHER: : REPAIR or MUD, for 3 items total.
2013-12-02 1:27 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hmmm....to work or to cybershop, that is the question!

Mike, I hit the pool today too. Is it just me, or does it seem that all things conspire to try to prevent that sometimes? Good on you re: the neighborhood sprint. Those are hard to pass up, so we won't harass you re: the trigger finger on the register button.

Karl, yes, I think Captex was my fav. Only time I've stayed at the host hotel, and that sure did make it stress free.

Our new flooring is going in ahead of schedule...as in today and tomorrow. My office has been temporarily relocated to the kitchen, and I think/hope the crew is through with sawing into concrete. Very tempted to head out on my bike....beautiful day here...but need to earn some $$'s.
2013-12-02 10:44 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
We went to the sports award banquet tonight. On of the cross country runners has autism, which usually includes a degree of gross motor difficulties, often seen as awkward physically even walking down the hall. When he joined cross country his first goal was to run a 5k in 60 minutes. That was considered a very challenging goal for him. At a cross country meet last year he fell and with limited self-protective reflexes knocked out his front teeth and started to go into shock. Fast forward to this year his season PR was 25:00 for a hilly 5k. At the banquet he got a standing ovation, even from the football players who don't necessarily see cross country as a sport. This is one of those instances where not only is the student's life made better, but all of the community is made better by being witness how hard work got him to drop 40+ minutes off his 5k time. If he continues to feel good about himself running he will be significantly more resistant to depression or other mental health problems and his life expectancy, level of independence and quality of life will all go up significantly.... because the cross-country coach wants all students to be given a chance, good coaching and encouragement. It is not just about who can win, it is about personal value, hard work and personal improvement. /tips hat.
2013-12-03 4:09 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Steve - that is a fantastic story!! Good for the coach for ensuring that opportunity and to the community in general for recognizing the incredible achievement. So happy for that kid.

Just back from a run, and I'm telling you, if it were possible to bottle that awesome post workout buzz/sense of ease and sell it, you could be a gazillionaire in no time. But I guess needing to get up off the sofa and be active to get it makes it even more worthwhile.

Didn't do any shopping yesterday, but will hopefully have some other deals coming up soon.

2013-12-03 1:42 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Just as a reminder Infinit is 50% off for 24 hours with the code I gave you above. This would be the time to try it out. It is currently around 40 cents per 100 calories which you just aren't going to beat anywhere that I know of.
2013-12-03 4:50 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Very cool story Steve! We have some dear friends whose son has Asperger's, so this really hits home. What a wonderful gift to that young man's parents.

It is unseasonably warm here again. Headed out on my bike today and had to stop at the park restroom to peel off a layer. Freezing rain in the forecast for later this week though. Did some stretch/strength on Sun, and again this morning. Not a habit....yet .
2013-12-03 5:22 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Baowolf

I think trisport is good through end of the day today. Also for you infinit users, tomorrow is the sale day for the year.

The code is THESALE2013
Start time is NOON EST Tuesday December 3rd

50% for the first hour
40% for the second hour
30% for the third hour
20% for the last hour.

IMPORTANT Couple of notes:

No multiple orders to multiple accounts. We will know and bad karma will ensue.

During the sale you may only purchase items that are on sale. The items included are:
• Custom 25 servings (MAX of 2 bags)
• One container of either :REPAIR - Chocolate -or- :NOCTURNE Nighttime Recovery.
So the max order is 2 x Custom 25 servings and one of EITHER: : REPAIR or MUD, for 3 items total.

I was kinda hoping the GO FAR Infinit is on sale too. i tried
2013-12-03 7:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Amazing story Steve! I agree that running will greatly help his overall life. Mind, body spirit...
2013-12-03 9:31 PM
in reply to: Mitchparadise

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So yay TT in all 3 sports this week. 5k was 45 ish seconds faster, 15 mile bike TT was 22 mph 261 power (.6 mph, 16 power faster), swim was 4 seconds per hundred faster so like 1:53... ya every little bit. Probably should go to a real pool for swim TTs though. Now all my weekly workouts will have to be faster (.

2013-12-04 4:22 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Main set of 7 mile run today 3 x 10:00 at 7:30 mpm pace recovery time 30 seconds, ugg. 20F. Getting faster kinda sucks, well the work to get faster, being faster isn't so bad.
2013-12-04 6:11 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Funny, steve! I'm heading out for a run in a bit. Will make 2 days in a row - a new record for me recently. I really feel like I want to go which is a very good thing.

Not 20 here, though steve. Low 30's so it will feel like summer by comparison.

Hope everyone is having a great week.

Mike
2013-12-04 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Rode my bike with a friend in 78 degree temps today. Client's system locked me out at the peak of our beautiful afternoon, so I seized the opportunity. It is supposed to drop to 28 tomorrow, but I have to gloat...er...um..share my moment in the sun with those of you in the frozen tundra .

Mike, glad you are finding joy in running again!

Steve, good going on the speedwork!
2013-12-04 10:32 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Baowolf

We went to the sports award banquet tonight. On of the cross country runners has autism, which usually includes a degree of gross motor difficulties, often seen as awkward physically even walking down the hall. When he joined cross country his first goal was to run a 5k in 60 minutes. That was considered a very challenging goal for him. At a cross country meet last year he fell and with limited self-protective reflexes knocked out his front teeth and started to go into shock. Fast forward to this year his season PR was 25:00 for a hilly 5k. At the banquet he got a standing ovation, even from the football players who don't necessarily see cross country as a sport. This is one of those instances where not only is the student's life made better, but all of the community is made better by being witness how hard work got him to drop 40+ minutes off his 5k time. If he continues to feel good about himself running he will be significantly more resistant to depression or other mental health problems and his life expectancy, level of independence and quality of life will all go up significantly.... because the cross-country coach wants all students to be given a chance, good coaching and encouragement. It is not just about who can win, it is about personal value, hard work and personal improvement. /tips hat.

Read this only now , inspiring
2013-12-05 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
35 degrees and still dropping here. The Texas winter apocalypse is upon us ! Swimming was less than appealing today and I almost managed to avoid it, but made it to the pool for 2K yards. Year end yardage and miles goals are still on track. After that, time to figure out some other way to stay motivated.

2013-12-05 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Oh, I typed up a long response and again hit the magic erase key. Ug.

Steve, amazing story!!! Thank you for sharing. I’m going to share it with my son.

Carol, I better look at our weather. Hubby is a weather channel junkie so I don’t watch the weather. But hubby is out of town so I better look to see if FL will get that cold too.

I ran 9 miles Sunday night and haven’t done anything since. ? Had a basil cell spot cut off my arm on Tuesday and it’s hurting pretty bad. Went running tonight and while I could have handled the pain, I decided to allow it one more day. Arrgghh.

Steve, thank you so much for the info on the calories!!! I will def have to go back to the gels because my brain gets too foggy later in runs to insure that I take 8 chomps an hour.

Ok, Steve, I’ve got to ask again. I think I’ve asked before but brain can’t remember. Why no more than a 3 hour run? I understand the thinking of no more than 3 hours of running because of the risk of injury. But my brain farts out around the 3 hour mark and I feel like it’s important for me to 1) reach that state and work thru it and 2) figure out physically what to do with my body when it reaches that fatigued stage.

Ok, I’m about to go put ice on my incision again. Gosh, I wish I had known in the 70s/80s what we now know about skin cancer. Everybody, WEAR SUNSCREEN.

One more thing. Reading a really good book right now called “Before I Go to Sleep”. Steve, have you heard of it? Fiction, but definitely interesting concept regarding a neurological condition. I’m afraid tho that it may have a similar ending to Gone Girl but we’ll see.
2013-12-05 9:49 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
The 2 reasons to not go past 3 hours in 1 run are that you have a higher risk of injury and because it will take you too long to recover. One very important part of training is... recovering. If a long run trashes your next week of training... it costs more than it gains you. If you are more fit, then you won't have to worry about being as bonked during the race, and if you drink and eat enough during the workout/race that helps too. Basically if you want to run 20 miles, you have to earn it by running a 9 minute mile or close to it. Many folks who are actually really good runners never go past 16 miles when running for a marathon, but they may run 80 miles in a week. So if you really need to run 20 miles in a day, run 3 hours, recover for 4 hours and then run the extra 2-3 miles. Training is a balance between distance, recovery and intensity.
2013-12-06 12:00 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
@ Steve
& Others

I officially start my 20 week IM training next week. I also just finished reading DF's Be Iron Fit. Would it be ok if instead of using BT's 20 week TP to use Don Finks's 30 week intermediate program? If its ok to do so I am just thinking. I may have covered the build phase in my previous half iron training so can i pick up at 11th week? to continue to the 30th week or whatever is more productive. I am open to any advise. I am afraid to go off on my own and fall in a big hole. The more frank and i will use the word blunt the more it will help me.

Sincerely

Karl
2013-12-06 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
The iceapocalypse has indeed come to north Texas. Power is out at our house, so hubby and I are at the local coffee shop for wifi access and drinkies. I bought as much firewood as would fit in my Camry trunk last night, so we can at least have a fire. I did get a short trainer ride and, more importantly, a shower in before we lost power. Dallas Marathon (formerly White Rock Marathon) has been officially cancelled. Not sure if that has ever happened.
2013-12-06 3:07 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
We had a touch of cold weather here too. We also found out that our heat wrap wires for our pipes shorted out so the pipes froze, leaked through wall and ceiling. At least the house didn't burn down right? The guy said that could have happened and a coworker from work just had that happen a couple days ago. So not too bad we shut off the water and well a couple grand and it should be fine, better than it was to start with and no fire danger anymore.

Hrm cancled the marathon, how cold is it down there. It was -8F yesterday. Went for a nice brisk run in snow flurries today.

If your base training puts you at around the weekly vollume and long run/bike/swim as the week 11 of the training plan it is fine to just wade in at week 11. I often do that as part of a bridge from a HIM into an IM training plan. I will actually go past the HIM distances so that I am ready to hit the IM training hard on the other side of it.

Based on my last round of TTs my slow easy recovery run is now sub 8:30-8:58 mpm.... how bad do you want speed? I told my wife last night that maybe I was just fast enough and woudl be happy with legacy Kona. Each day is hard LT work in a sport, but ya I guess that is where speed comes form once you have gotton to that plateu of steady vollume work. We see how this year goes. I am becoming aware of muscle groups I don't use much. I hadn't done pushups in um quite some time and there is a shoulder muscle that just isn't nearly as strong as it should be. And crunches on one of those exercize balls are way nastier than just lying on the floor. And well holding that plank (tips of toes and elbows only on the ground with back completely flat (not bowing up or down)) for 60 seconds, yups that is a challenge too. When was the last time you guys did hurdler's stretches.... yups tight there after IM and slacking off. Boy lots to work on... including those 5 pounds from Thanksgiving. If I can lose enough to be no heavier than I am now after Christmas it will be a small victory. Then I am going to have to drop 15 pounds for CDA.

2013-12-06 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Be careful on the roads, Carol - one small patch of black ice can be horrific.

This week is the first in about 3 months where I've actually been consistent in training every day, and not so coincidentally, I feel about as good as I have in a long time. Its great!

This AM was a big swim set of 3100 yards. Did get a bit fatigued toward the end, but I could tell my swim fitness is getting better. No one at class except me & the instructor (who swims faster than most fish, and is a former XTerra World Champ). She swam in lane next to me and it was insane. She did the same workout as me in about 70% of the time. If anyone is interested in the swim set, I can get it to you via IM.

Im going for a run tomorrow AM and excited about it. The desire to run, and finding some joy in the journey is returning, and I'm very happy about it.

Have a happy weekend everyone!
2013-12-06 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Mike, so glad to hear that you are reinvigorated! And hey, private swim lessons w/ an elite coach for the price of masters class. Nice!

Steve, good that you are seeing such good returns for your efforts. Sounds like your coach's plan for you may be just the shakeup that you need to take it to the next level. Yes, very good on the house not burning down! Guessing that the repairs were not covered by insurance . Even if they were....probably just eat up the deductible.

Pam, health first, running second. Hope that they got everything. Good word on the sunscreen!

It's not the cold that is the problem here...were upper 20's right now, and will drop to mid teens tonight. It's the ice. We started off with freezing rain, then temps continued to drop and that froze and what was falling turned to sleet. So basically solid sheet of ice about 3-5 inches thick. There may be more precip on the way as well. Would it be gone in time for the marathon??? Time will tell. We have trees splitting, etc. due to the weight of the ice, so the power company crews are busy peeps right now.
2013-12-07 2:17 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I hope your power gets back on soon. Generators and propane heaters are typically the way to go until it comes back on. Watch your pipes, leave the water dripping to keep a little current in them over night.

Swim was good tonight. I did 8x 100 at fastest ever pace followed by fast 50s up to my max speed. I am almost itching to get to a real pool to see what the real speed improvements are. I am usually disappointed, not sure my pool acceleration curve is linear as the numbers would indicate. Oh well faster is faster and in the pool that is a huge boon. I have been doing the same balance drills every week, tonight added one arm drills on right and left. We got some fresh snow tonight, not sure how much will be on the ground for tomorrow's run after bike.
2013-12-07 10:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Karl, best of luck with your IM training!

Steve, those coaches really have you working! Fantastic on all of the gained speed. Yes, I think different exercises (such as core) as well as stretches are key for better health and better conditioning for races. I believe in them strongly; so why, oh why, is that one of the first things that I drop when I get busy? I won't be able to do any more planks for the rest of the year because of the surgery but I need to make myself get back to the crunches.

Carol, sure hope you have the power back and no busted pipes.

Mike, WTG with the consistency!!!!!!!!

I went thru with the 10 mile race today although I have done nothing all week because of the arm. Epic fail in so many ways. I almost passed out multiple times and it wasn't from excertion (sp?) I didn't know if it was the humidity (which I normally have no problem with) or low bp. Hubby thinks it's all of the meds (pain medicine for the surgery and Carac for the other skin cancer areas) and I love him for making excuses for me. Took my gel very early to try to have a sugar surge. Oh well, it definitely shows me I better get back to consistency, take some of the vitamins that I need to be taking, and do warmups before all races (We were late so very little warmup.)

I'm got to mention Kathy here. On another site, I met Kathy and then later got to meet her in person. While I only met her once, I really loved her. Soon after our meeting, she found she had pancretic cancer. She fought hard for 3 years and she lost her battle last Thursday. She was about 37 with a 9 and 11 year child. My heart hurts for the family. Kathy is in a better place now and is pain-free now but her family isn't.

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-12-07 11:13 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 68