Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2011-02-25 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
That is great news Erica.  That should be a lot of fun and good experience. 

2011-02-25 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
That is great news Erica!!!  Congratulations.
2011-02-25 10:19 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Can you guys do me a favor and read my blog post I just put up tonight?  http://marathonrunningmama.blogspot.com/2011/02/sad-day-for-me.html

I figured it was easier to do this than type it all out again.  My parent's best friend passed away today and I am having a really hard time dealing with it because of something that happened last weekend. 
2011-02-26 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3373272

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Mrschach - 2011-02-25 10:19 PM Can you guys do me a favor and read my blog post I just put up tonight?  http://marathonrunningmama.blogspot.com/2011/02/sad-day-for-me.html

I figured it was easier to do this than type it all out again.  My parent's best friend passed away today and I am having a really hard time dealing with it because of something that happened last weekend. 

Meggan - I am so sorry for your loss.  I know how hard it can be to lose someone like this in your life.  Don't see it as a burden, see it as a blessing.  If you tell his wife, she will appreciate it so much knowing that he's okay, even if he said it to you and not her.  Could it be that she wasn't in the position to hear it at the time?  Running is a peaceful place, so it may have just made sense to connect with you on your run.

I hear messages from my Uncle Joe (not my "real" uncle, but such a close friend that he may as well have been family).  Uncle Joe used to call me when I was in high school the morning after every soccer game and tell me how great I did and how he was so proud of me.  When he passed away, I was a senior in HS and I was devastated.  All through college though, I heard him talking to me after I'd have a good game.  I always know he's watching my games and races.  He was/is my biggest fan.  I tell him every day how much I love them and miss them, too.

It's beautiful that anybody can have such a connection with another that it survives the death of another. 

I hope you feel better soon, Meggan.  Thoughts and prayers are with you.
2011-02-27 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Thanks for sharing your story Erica.  Sandra...thanks for the message too.  I am going to respond today.  I have just taken a few days to sort through my thoughts. 

I ran my first race of the year today, a local 5k.  It is geared towards high school lacrosse players but is open to the public.  I got creamed by some high school kids but I also ran past quite a few huffing and puffing and walking.  I felt good.  I dropped 3 minutes off my 5k time from last summer!
2011-02-28 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Way to improve on that run Meggan!

My swim clinic begins tonight at 745p.  Kinda late but nothing I can do about it.  Will have to come home and eat dinner right after work.  It will be Mon/Wed nights.  And Tue nights are my cycling club ride.  I'll be pretty busy at the beginning of each week for 6 weeks.  I really hope I get some good coaching out of this.  I've heard nothing but good things and even professional triathletes use this coach, so it should be a good experience.

How was everyone's weekend?

Happy Monday!

2011-02-28 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3375104

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2011-02-28 7:57 AM Way to improve on that run Meggan!

My swim clinic begins tonight at 745p.  Kinda late but nothing I can do about it.  Will have to come home and eat dinner right after work.  It will be Mon/Wed nights.  And Tue nights are my cycling club ride.  I'll be pretty busy at the beginning of each week for 6 weeks.  I really hope I get some good coaching out of this.  I've heard nothing but good things and even professional triathletes use this coach, so it should be a good experience.

How was everyone's weekend?

Happy Monday!

That sounds great Tim!  Glad you are finding ways to get the bike and swim in.  How has the knee been?
2011-02-28 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Ever so slowly better.  She had me doing the power walking last week and we noticed it was getting harder to replicate the pain that way, so this week she has me doing what they call the toy soldier.  I keep my legs straight but lift them out in front of me as I walk.  I am supposed to lift them about waist high.  Doing this now several times a day along with the stretching still. 

I am beginning to wonder about not doing any tris or runs this year.  Really focus on my knee and not try to come back too soon and over do it just b/c of one race.  I am sure we'll get back to running as part of the therapy but want to be overly cautious.  I am currently enjoying being able to just focus on the bike and swim and am thinking about trying to get my wife to join up and do a tri relay where she does the running.  I also want to get more involved in my bike group and always had a tough time with that in the past due to my training.
2011-03-01 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Tim...how was the swim last night?
2011-03-01 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
We didn't do a whole lot but I can already tell it will be a good class.  We spent a majority of the time in the classroom talking about balance, rotation, and the bio mechanics of swimming.  Then about 15min in the pool.  We did a few balance in the water drills and then just swam so he could see what our current levels are. 

It sounds like he is really going to break down our strokes and have us start from the ground up ingraining the new technique into us as we go along.  I think I am going to have a totally new stroke by the end of this class.

There are only 15 people in the class so it is a nice small group and we should get plenty of individual attention.  It sounds like most of the people in the class are there b/c they struggle with the swim in a triathlon.  I am a little different b/c I don't struggle with it, I just want to improve my stroke in order to be more efficient and faster.

I am excited and ready to learn.

I am leading my bike group on a ride tonight.  What does everyone else have planned?
2011-03-01 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Sounds great Tim.  I can't wait to hear about it as the class continues!

As for my week, I ran this morning.  I have a run scheduled for Thursday, Friday, and then 9 miles on Sunday.  Assuming the weather is nice and I have time before the funeral on Saturday, I hope to get my bike out on the road!

2011-03-01 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3377279

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Yea, that sounds pretty awesome, Tim! Any tips you can pass on would be greatly appreciated! :P Also, if you're the only one who is really looking to improve efficiency, as opposed to "not struggle through the swim", the instructor might take a liking to you and give you some focused attention, which would be great!

As for me, I have a run-heavy week. I went for a 13k run last night (first time I've ever done 13k in an hour... and my fastest 10k ever, too!). I'll go for another probably 12+kms on Wednesday with my tri club, depending on the prescribed workout, and then getting out on the course for my 30k on Friday or Saturday. I'm hoping to do about 20k on the course to see what I'm up against. It will be an eye opening experience, i'm told!

Apparently, also, this weekend, the Bike Show is in Toronto, and a buddy of mine is going to it, so I may join him, though I don't know if it's a good idea. I don't have any budget left for miscellaneous bike stuffs! :P 
2011-03-01 6:54 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Do any of you guys wear Sugoi? My tri club is getting one and two piece suits this year.  They are crazy cheap thanks to some great sponsors.  Just wondering how the fit and sizing is.  Here is the design of the top but personalized with our team name.

2011-03-01 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3378198

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
I wear Sugoi almost exclusively, partly because my husband is a brand champion and we get all our gear 50% off, but mostly because I love the fit and quality of their gear for running, biking and swimming.  I could go on and on about their compression gear all day! I find that their sizing charts are pretty accurate, http://www.sugoi.com/usa/eng/fit.

I've actually been looking at their custom gear for my running group too.

Mrschach - 2011-03-01 4:54 PM Do any of you guys wear Sugoi? My tri club is getting one and two piece suits this year.  They are crazy cheap thanks to some great sponsors.  Just wondering how the fit and sizing is.  Here is the design of the top but personalized with our team name.

2011-03-01 9:37 PM
in reply to: #3377199

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Sounds like this swim clinic is going to be great Tim, you will have to keep us up on what you are learning.
2011-03-02 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Mondays lesson...swim with your head below the water.  The back of your head should be just below the surface of the water and you want to be looking practically straight down at the bottom of the pool.  This helps keep the rest of your body up near the top of the water and not dragging. 

We'll see what tonight's lesson will be!

2011-03-03 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Wed lesson...try not to suck in so much water!   This was a much tougher class and we spent the entire 1:15 in the pool.  It was nothing but drills.  We again worked solely on balance in the water.  The entire class (except a few freestyle laps in between as 'rest' laps) was done on our sides. 

We really only did 3 drills.  The 1st was the ABS (arms by side) side swim.  We literally put your arms down to your side and then swam (kicked) on your right or left side (belly button should be facing the side of the pool).  In order to breathe, you rotate your entire body onto your back, breathe, then roll back onto your side. 

The 2nd drill is a variation of this, and instead of having both arms by your side you extend one arm out in front of you.  Again swimming only on your side and then rotating onto your back to breathe.  

The 3rd is practically the catch up drill but they refer to it as the TPR (touch, pull, rotate) drill.  You swim freestyle but don't start your pull until you touch your front hand with your other hand.  Then you pull and rotate your body at the same time.  He stressed that your stomach should never just be facing the bottom of the pool.  It should constantly be rotating back and forth from the right to left side with each pull of your arms.  He said that they are teaching us to over-exaggerate the rotation for now just to get used to it.

It seems easy at first but since you are not using your arms for propulsion on the first 2 drills it is a lot of kicking which wears you out quickly.  The more tired you get the harder it is to keep the proper balance and form.  The idea is to learn to balance in the water and proper body rotation.  It is this rotation that you use later to breathe and get power in your stroke.

They wore me out and I slept like a baby last night!

PS (tangent) - Why do they call it sleeping like a baby?  Most babies I know don't sleep through the night.  Just curious. 

Happy Thur!
2011-03-03 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3380730

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
chichitao - 2011-03-03 8:47 AM Wed lesson...try not to suck in so much water!   This was a much tougher class and we spent the entire 1:15 in the pool.  It was nothing but drills.  We again worked solely on balance in the water.  The entire class (except a few freestyle laps in between as 'rest' laps) was done on our sides. 

We really only did 3 drills.  The 1st was the ABS (arms by side) side swim.  We literally put your arms down to your side and then swam (kicked) on your right or left side (belly button should be facing the side of the pool).  In order to breathe, you rotate your entire body onto your back, breathe, then roll back onto your side. 

The 2nd drill is a variation of this, and instead of having both arms by your side you extend one arm out in front of you.  Again swimming only on your side and then rotating onto your back to breathe.  

The 3rd is practically the catch up drill but they refer to it as the TPR (touch, pull, rotate) drill.  You swim freestyle but don't start your pull until you touch your front hand with your other hand.  Then you pull and rotate your body at the same time.  He stressed that your stomach should never just be facing the bottom of the pool.  It should constantly be rotating back and forth from the right to left side with each pull of your arms.  He said that they are teaching us to over-exaggerate the rotation for now just to get used to it.

It seems easy at first but since you are not using your arms for propulsion on the first 2 drills it is a lot of kicking which wears you out quickly.  The more tired you get the harder it is to keep the proper balance and form.  The idea is to learn to balance in the water and proper body rotation.  It is this rotation that you use later to breathe and get power in your stroke.

They wore me out and I slept like a baby last night!

PS (tangent) - Why do they call it sleeping like a baby?  Most babies I know don't sleep through the night.  Just curious. 

Happy Thur!

Hahahaha, Ryan asks me that all the time!  Then I started saying "I slept like a rock.." and of course, he responded "Do rocks really sleep?"  Now, I just say "I slept really well."  It works.

Sounds good about the swimming!  It's daunting to me though!

Anybody have fun plans this weekend?  I'll be in DC doing a mock trial tournament.  Super nervous!
2011-03-03 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3380730

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Sounds like a tough session, and I bet you slept "like the dead"  I think you have yourself in a very good clinic with some very good coaching. 

Another busy weekend ahead, mostly doing with getting things in order for our move out and meeting with some tradespeople at our new place to have some work down in preparation for our move in. I'm not sure if my weekend will include any running.  I'm scheduled for a PT session tomorrow to have my leg looked at, I am really hoping it is nothing serious, but right now it hurts when I walk, luckily this is a recovery week and if I miss my run this weekend it will only be a short 12KM run,  but next weekend is a 32KM run and I'd hate to miss that one. 
2011-03-03 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3381065

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
What's going on with your leg Sandra?
2011-03-03 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3381635

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

chichitao - 2011-03-03 2:28 PM What's going on with your leg Sandra?

I'm trying not to speculate too much before it gets looked at, because I will automatically go for the worst prognosis, but I'm thinking it is probably shin splints....it's depressing me, because everything has been going so well with my training.

My appointment is tomorrow morning, I'll update more then...hopefully with good news.

2011-03-04 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran

hey all!  Been under the weather this week.  Got a bad sinus infection and it knocked me down for two days.  Feeling a little better than I did, but not 100% yet.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!! 

2011-03-04 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3381655

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

well colour me relieved!  Had my PT appointment this morning and I don't have shin splints but more of a tendonitis of the Soleus Muscle.  Although it means, I am in a recovery mode right now, it should be a quick one and because this is a recovery week for me in my marathon training, the reduced running and stretching and exercises I will be doing will not hinder my training overall.  I am to go for a brisk walk tonight and tomorrow a brisk walk and when I'm fully warmed up, run for 1 minute and walk for one minute to see how it feels and increase the run time if it feels okay, same for Sunday...

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Debbie, sorry to hear that you have been under the weather.  Glad you are feeling better!!

2011-03-04 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

So glad you got good news Sandra!!  Rest up this week. 

I just ran at lunchtime since my run today was only 30 minutes.  I love having my parent's house so close to the office!

I don't have a workout planned for tomorrow but would love to get a ride in.  We have a funeral at 11 and we expect it to be standing room early so we need to leave our house at 9:30 at the latest to get the kids to my inlaws.  I have 9 miles on Sunday then. 

2011-03-07 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

That is very good news Sandra.  Hope the recovery goes quickly and smoothly for you.  Wouldn't be marathon training if you didn't have something come up!

So I've been totally slacking.  Last week was my first week of the swim class and it really wore me out.  Hard swims on Mon/Wed and a hard bike on Tue.  I am having a hard time getting to sleep at a decent time on the swim nights b/c I get home late, then have to shower, but then my body just does not want to go to sleep after that.  I think it caught up to me and I totally did nothing over the weekend.  I am going to do better this week.

Did you get your runs in Meggan?

How was everyone's weekend?  Weather warming up yet across the country?  One more week and then we get to move our clocks ahead and get some more daylight.  That will be nice.

Happy Monday!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103