BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-04-20 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4159547

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open

elizabethk - 2012-04-18 11:18 PM Can't run or ride right now so I've decided to focus in my swimming. Im going to sign up for a 5k OWS race this summer and possibly a 10k OWS at the end of the summer. I'm really bad at motivating unless I've paid for a race so if I'm still not able to run or ride by mid-may I'll sign up for it. I don't have a clue how to train for this type of race but know that I'll need to swim a lot (just stating the obvious) so I'm heading to the pool in the morning. I'm also looking at doing the boise 70.3 as a relay.

That's the way Liz ...

I'm already sorry for the ones competing against you in the swim.  Get out there and give it to 'em ...

2012-04-20 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Regular
Kansas City

A little over 5 miles for lunch yesterday.  Took a hilly route, and the wind was blowing hard.  Legs felt real heavy, so just cruised rather than push.  Felt good, but still real sore today.  Going to try to get a good 3 in for lunch today and hopefully break up some of this soreness.

Thanks for the pics/links/advice for the transitions.  I'm going to sort through it all a bit better tonight when I get some more time.

2012-04-20 12:57 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

I did it!   

When I first joined the site one of my goals was to go sub 25 in a 5k.  Well today in a training run I went 24:57, which included 15-25 seconds at a major intersection waiting for traffic to clear.

I didn't intend for this to happen today.  When I saw my first mile come in at 7:23, I tried hard to go sub 8 for the next.  When I came in at 7:50, I then decided to try and hang on and make this happen.

Uploading the run from my Garmin to the logs now.

I guess now I have to try and go sub 24!

Super stoked.

2012-04-20 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4163100

User image

Expert
Hammond
ccoffin - 2012-04-20 12:57 PM

I did it!   

When I first joined the site one of my goals was to go sub 25 in a 5k.  Well today in a training run I went 24:57, which included 15-25 seconds at a major intersection waiting for traffic to clear.

I didn't intend for this to happen today.  When I saw my first mile come in at 7:23, I tried hard to go sub 8 for the next.  When I came in at 7:50, I then decided to try and hang on and make this happen.

Super stoked.

I am sooooo jealous!!! That is totally awesome. I would love to get a sub 35 5k- lol. I'm hoping all this running I'm doing will get me there one day. We'll see.

Great job!,

Shelly
2012-04-20 6:43 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

CC - congrats!  That is great!

Sorry all, between NOLA Prep and running packet pickup/late registration for the Skeeter run I am running at full speed.  Will catch up with everyone Sunday evening!

2012-04-20 7:37 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

You need to be at full speed tomorrow!

Give 'em hell and good luck!

2012-04-20 8:48 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
ccoffin - 2012-04-20 12:57 PM

I did it!   

Super stoked.

Congrats!  Very exciting!

2012-04-20 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4163785

User image

Master
St. Louis
Good luck at NOLA Sunday Gary!
2012-04-20 11:28 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Ok so I am sooooo loving this performance membership. I did my lactate threshold field test on the bike today. Not only am I really really happy with my speed but being able to upload the workout straight from my 910 to BT was Awesome! And I love seeing the graphs and all kinds of other fun things you can do with the data.

The test itself was pretty close to pass out and die but I actually rode an average of 16.4 mph for over 30 minutes. That is really great for me. Usually I'm lucky if I get 15.2- 15.4 mph avg and that is pushing it. My sweating but still can talk some rides have usually only been around 13-14 ish mph so today was awesome to see those speeds. Maybe the spin classes are really starting to pay off.

I am also sooo excited about having as close to true as I'm going to get, heart rate zones. I just think my training will be much smarter now. So in case you can't tell- I'm just really stoked about all of this again. I also signed up for two races today- Yay. I have finally kicked my tri butt back in gear.

Shelly

2012-04-20 11:29 PM
in reply to: #4163925

User image

Expert
Hammond
ransick - 2012-04-20 8:50 PM

Good luck at NOLA Sunday Gary!

X2!!! I so wish I could be there again this year. I'll be sending good luck vibes all day though. Can't wait to read race report.

Shelly
2012-04-21 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
ccoffin - 2012-04-20 1:57 PM

I did it!   

Super stoked.

Great job Chris ... very, very jealous of your speed

2012-04-21 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4164049

User image

Master
St. Louis

fitmomma2010 - 2012-04-20 11:28 PM Ok so I am sooooo loving this performance membership. I did my lactate threshold field test on the bike today. Not only am I really really happy with my speed but being able to upload the workout straight from my 910 to BT was Awesome! And I love seeing the graphs and all kinds of other fun things you can do with the data. The test itself was pretty close to pass out and die but I actually rode an average of 16.4 mph for over 30 minutes. That is really great for me. Usually I'm lucky if I get 15.2- 15.4 mph avg and that is pushing it. My sweating but still can talk some rides have usually only been around 13-14 ish mph so today was awesome to see those speeds. Maybe the spin classes are really starting to pay off. I am also sooo excited about having as close to true as I'm going to get, heart rate zones. I just think my training will be much smarter now. So in case you can't tell- I'm just really stoked about all of this again. I also signed up for two races today- Yay. I have finally kicked my tri butt back in gear. Shelly

Nice LT test!  I haven't done one for a while but almost passed out on the ones I did too.  

2012-04-22 1:51 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Mixed results
Had a great swim workout his morning. Only went about 1,000 yards but I have finally reached the swim fitness level where I feel like I can get in a rhythm And just keep going. My walk on Friday night was a real bummer. Mt PT thought I should start walking again as part of my training so I went for it. It hurt my knee pretty bad. Ibuprofin in large quantities today has helped. I may need to sign up for my first tri as a two person relay and have my daughter do the run for me. What do you guys think? One the one hand it would be really cool to include my DD in my goal, but I really want to do the whole race. Would it be acceptable to just walk the 5 k and tough it out?
2012-04-22 4:21 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!

Getting ready to head out the door for the race which is now a modified duathlon.  Needing every bit of energy to get my tail out the door.

Scotty - as cool as it would be to do the whole thing it sounds like your body needs a little more time.  IMHO I would sign up for the relay with your DD and hold off on doing the whole thing until you are ready.

2012-04-22 6:02 AM

Hi Gary

I am doing the London Triathlon in September in aid of Breast Cancer Campaign. I have done sprint trie before and they have been ok because the swim is short and in a pool. I feel fairly confident I can get up to speed with the bike and run but am really struggling to switch to freestyle swimming. I have tried on several occasions to practice but always seem to suffer with peer pressure when other better swimmers are watching.

I feel a bit down about this and feel I need some direction and help to prepare.

2012-04-22 6:03 AM

Hi Gary

I am doing the London Triathlon in September in aid of Breast Cancer Campaign. I have done sprint trie before and they have been ok because the swim is short and in a pool. I feel fairly confident I can get up to speed with the bike and run but am really struggling to switch to freestyle swimming. I have tried on several occasions to practice but always seem to suffer with peer pressure when other better swimmers are watching.

I feel a bit down about this and feel I need some direction and help to prepare.

Hi Gary

I am doing the London Triathlon in September in aid of Breast Cancer Campaign. I have done sprint tris before and they have been ok because the swim is short and in a pool. I feel fairly confident I can get up to speed with the bike and run but am really struggling to switch to freestyle swimming. I have tried on several occasions to practice but always seem to suffer with peer pressure when other better swimmers are watching.

Hi Gary

I am doing the London Triathlon in September in aid of Breast Cancer Campaign. I have done sprint tris before and they have been ok because the swim is short and in a pool. I feel fairly confident I can get up to speed with the bike and run but am really struggling to switch to freestyle swimming. I have tried on several occasions to practice but always seem to suffer with peer pressure when other better swimmers are watching.

Hi Gary

Hi Gary

2012-04-22 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4133301

Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed

Hello group,

New to triathlon's and need motivation mostly to get up early and train.  I was a middle of the road runner.  2005-2007 had worked up to doing half and full marathons and really enjoyed it.  I had torn my acl twenty years ago and Sept 2010 had acl surgery as my knee was buckling a lot.  I felt pain all the time with running.  I feel I am at ground zero with running so I know cross training is better for the body so here I am.   Today I ran 3 miles in 36 mins which is awful considering I was running 10 min miles consistently and finished the marathon at a 10:30 per mile pace.   I have been working myself up slowly and I just need consistent training to pull it all together.  I am a 45yr old female with a great family.  My husband was an excellent triathlete until a a hip injury a couple of years ago.  We both agree training advice sometimes is best when it does not come from a spouse. My original goal was to do an early season sprint in NH June 24th and then another in August in Maine.   Need humor and motivation and I will do this.  I am determined to.  Taking the trek road bike in for a tune up today.  I like to ride ten to 15 miles mostly due to time constraints with a busy family.  Learning little by little how to swim distance.  The concept is so different from running.  Hope you will encourage this very new triathlete into your group.  I am 5'2 and 135 would love to lose ffiteen pounds or at least turn my flab to muscle and try to eat less carbs and increase protein. 

2012-04-22 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4165024

User image

New user

GaryRM - 2012-04-22 2:21 AM

Hey all!

Getting ready to head out the door for the race which is now a modified duathlon.  Needing every bit of energy to get my tail out the door.

Scotty - as cool as it would be to do the whole thing it sounds like your body needs a little more time.  IMHO I would sign up for the relay with your DD and hold off on doing the whole thing until you are ready.

THanks for the advise Gary. I think you are right. The biking and swimming are going really well and I don't want to make my knee worse. Plus it would be really cool to do a race with my DD. I hope you kick some tail today in tour race even if it is modified a bit.
2012-04-22 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4165295

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Scottyv6290 - 2012-04-22 11:10 AM
GaryRM - 2012-04-22 2:21 AM

THanks for the advise Gary. I think you are right. The biking and swimming are going really well and I don't want to make my knee worse. Plus it would be really cool to do a race with my DD. I hope you kick some tail today in tour race even if it is modified a bit.

Scotty - I had knee soreness last year to the point wherein I could not run and the soreness hung around for 2 months.  I relayed a race with one of my daughters and we absolutely had a ball.  The thing that really helped me get over the soreness was wearing one of the Pro-Tec thin strip knee straps when running.  It helped support the tendon in the right places and gradually the soreness went away.

2012-04-22 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4165266

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed
bermudagirl1 - 2012-04-22 9:41 AM

Hello group,

New to triathlon's and need motivation mostly to get up early and train.  I was a middle of the road runner.  2005-2007 had worked up to doing half and full marathons and really enjoyed it.  I had torn my acl twenty years ago and Sept 2010 had acl surgery as my knee was buckling a lot.  I felt pain all the time with running.  I feel I am at ground zero with running so I know cross training is better for the body so here I am.   Today I ran 3 miles in 36 mins which is awful considering I was running 10 min miles consistently and finished the marathon at a 10:30 per mile pace.   I have been working myself up slowly and I just need consistent training to pull it all together.  I am a 45yr old female with a great family.  My husband was an excellent triathlete until a a hip injury a couple of years ago.  We both agree training advice sometimes is best when it does not come from a spouse. My original goal was to do an early season sprint in NH June 24th and then another in August in Maine.   Need humor and motivation and I will do this.  I am determined to.  Taking the trek road bike in for a tune up today.  I like to ride ten to 15 miles mostly due to time constraints with a busy family.  Learning little by little how to swim distance.  The concept is so different from running.  Hope you will encourage this very new triathlete into your group.  I am 5'2 and 135 would love to lose ffiteen pounds or at least turn my flab to muscle and try to eat less carbs and increase protein. 

Welcome to the group!  I encourage you to log your workouts so we can check in on you and you can see your progress.  

2012-04-22 1:03 PM
in reply to: #4165063

User image

Master
St. Louis
wells457 - 2012-04-22 6:03 AM

Hi Gary

The only way to get better swimming is to swim.  Don't worry about what others think.  Eat your humble pie and go do it.  I was lapped every 4 laps our so by guys in both lanes next to me yesterday.  I just reminded myself that 4 years ago I had to rest after 50 yards.

Also, don't be shy.  Tell one of the better swimmers your situation and ask them to watch you swim and offer pointers.  That will break the ice, help you feel more comfortable and get you some free advice. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115