BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-09-25 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3699222

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED
croixfan - 2011-09-24 11:22 PM

Mike -- Nice swim (again!).  Gotta rewatch my TI videos and get back at it.

Suzie -- Don't give up / tough it out

Sara -- Sure you'll be back to PR level in no time.  I'd kill to do what you can/do -- it's darn impressive.

Ran this AM but not yesterday (pasta binge at dinner killed me!).  Son ran today.  He ran the open versus varsity race (i.e. not as strong of competition).  He won!!!!  It was great to see as he ran an incredibly smart/strategic race.  Now you gotta understand this kid NEVER does that.  He was pumped pre and post race.  The course was wicked hilly AND it rained/was a mudfest.  He started running 4 years back when we were in Belgium and he loves the hills, mud and rain so it was "his day".  He's doing a great job with keeping positive.  He's at a level where he would be in the top 5 of all but 4 teams in the state -- unfortunately one of those is his high school, the other is #6 in the nation/#1 in the state, the third the legendary York program, and the 4th the best "small school" in the state.  There's a good chance over the next several weeks he'll actually crack the top 5.  If not, he'll be there next year.  AND he's getting A's/B's in his classes which are all AP/honors.

Have to brag on my oldest as well -- she's going to finish her BS in mech. eng. at Univ of Ill this spring.  In three years with straight A's.  Call earlier this week was to let me know she's applying to grad school at Berkely, Cal Tech, Stanford, Illinois, Carneghie Mellon, and MIT!!!  She's a sharp one.

And the youngest is doing great in school / following big sis' lead.

Have a great Sunday.

Your kids are definitely worth bragging about, that's awesome!!!

2011-09-25 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3699288

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-09-25 5:11 AM

WittyCityGirl - 2011-09-24 12:09 PM I ran 6 miles today! Wahooooo!!  Now, I only need to drop 20 minutes to beat my 10k PR.  Cool  Hope you're all having a good weekend!

Woohoo on the run. You'll be back at and beyond 10k PR before you know it

Curt - MMM Pasta binge, lol. congrats to all your kids on their achievements

Kate - Hope you get better soon.

Finally got a run in. Slow (20:49 pace) but at least it's done. Now I just need to get back on track with the biking and swimming. MOstly biking. I tried to set up a new plan with my new membership - whic Marmadaddy gave me as a present a little while ago - and it wouldn't accept my bike speed (roughly 5.5mph on average) - it's lower level is 8mph. So I need to work on speeding up.

So my question is:

Would this help me get faster:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1671

Note I don't currently have a bike computer as the one I bought from the dept store doesn't work on my bike as the magnet they use to attach the sensor to the wheel doesn't stay on very well.

Oh yes! It definitely would help.  It's okay if you don't have a bike computer, just learning how to get those feet to turn over and increase your cadence is just the main focus.

2011-09-26 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
OK, time to tell secrets.....

I'm officially signed up for a half marathon happening on 11/13/11. I've been training for it about a week or so. Feel good, and running 4x/week will certainly help out. I'm looking forward to this. Despite what my brain says, my body is feeling good about this. The race is in Newton, MA, and yes, it follows the Boston Marathon route for a bit.

I'm also signing up for a half ironman on Saturday. The race is in June of 2012.

AND, depending on how the HM goes, I'm thinking of signing up for a full marathon to take place in February, 2012.

Looking forward to this!
2011-09-27 12:55 AM
in reply to: #3700119

Extreme Veteran

Mike_D - 2011-09-26 8:04 AM OK, time to tell secrets.....

I'm officially signed up for a half marathon happening on 11/13/11. I've been training for it about a week or so. Feel good, and running 4x/week will certainly help out. I'm looking forward to this. Despite what my brain says, my body is feeling good about this. The race is in Newton, MA, and yes, it follows the Boston Marathon route for a bit.

I'm also signing up for a half ironman on Saturday. The race is in June of 2012.

AND, depending on how the HM goes, I'm thinking of signing up for a full marathon to take place in February, 2012.

Looking forward to this!

Good luck with all those races Mike

2011-09-27 1:02 AM
in reply to: #3699941

Extreme Veteran

Sara - thanks. I actually did w1d1 of the plan yesterday and got my fastest speed to date - 6.6mph.

I'm looking at only doing 3-4 rides per week instead of 6 but I'm looking at incorporating an "easy spin" and "long ride" each week. One question - what's the benefit of the "55-60something rpm" rides?

2011-09-27 7:02 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose

I've been lurking but not posting much much so I thought I'd check in

I did my last oly of the season on 9/10. It went well, a little faster then last year at the same race. The next day we came home, unpacked, repacked and headed for England. Dave had a business trip and he asked me to go with him so I said sure! We had a great time. During the week we stayed in the small town of Marlow. I spent the days exploring and visiting Oxford, Windsor and Eton. Then we went to London for the weekend and had a great time. The Tour de Britain was going on so we saw some of the time trails.

Last weekend I did my first century ride. It was so much fun! Great course, support and scenery. It's a total do over for next year.

I still have one more tri this year, a HIM in October. Then a 1/2 marathon in December and my year is over!

Since I love to plan, I think I already know most of what I want to sign up for next year. I'm pretty sure an Ironman is in my 2012 plan! I'm excited and nervous.

It looks like everyone is doing well. Mike, love the secret plans! 

Johanne

2011-09-27 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3700119

User image

Master
Dunedin

Mike_D - 2011-09-26 9:04 AM OK, time to tell secrets.....

Looking forward to this!

Awesome!!!

For what it's worth... I had a faster average by walking a FULL minute every 9 minutes then when I ran straight through several 9-26 mile runs the year I trained for IMLP.  So, what I'm getting at is have a plan that works for you and don't drink the kool aid on race day when people pass you. You'll get 'em back when you feel fresher than them in the end.  =)

2011-09-27 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3701553

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-09-27 2:02 AM

Sara - thanks. I actually did w1d1 of the plan yesterday and got my fastest speed to date - 6.6mph.

I'm looking at only doing 3-4 rides per week instead of 6 but I'm looking at incorporating an "easy spin" and "long ride" each week. One question - what's the benefit of the "55-60something rpm" rides?

Someone else may have a different thought on this, but either the lower rpms are for a recovery ride OR if you were on a trainer they may be higher resistance rides to help build leg strength.

2011-09-27 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3702819

User image

Master
Dunedin
50andgettingfit - 2011-09-27 8:02 PM

I did my last oly of the season on 9/10. It went well, a little faster then last year at the same race. The next day we came home, unpacked, repacked and headed for England. Dave had a business trip and he asked me to go with him so I said sure! We had a great time. During the week we stayed in the small town of Marlow. I spent the days exploring and visiting Oxford, Windsor and Eton. Then we went to London for the weekend and had a great time. The Tour de Britain was going on so we saw some of the time trails.

Last weekend I did my first century ride. It was so much fun! Great course, support and scenery. It's a total do over for next year.

I still have one more tri this year, a HIM in October. Then a 1/2 marathon in December and my year is over!

Since I love to plan, I think I already know most of what I want to sign up for next year. I'm pretty sure an Ironman is in my 2012 plan! I'm excited and nervous.

Johanne

Johanne! That's AWESOME about the IM plans!!!!! I definitely encourage you to sign up for a mentor group specifically for HIM and IM racers plus keep tabs on the thread for your specific race.  Both were immensely helpful to me when I trained for IMLP.  =)

So glad you had a great time in England.  I miss my Oxford days!!

2011-09-28 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3702819

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
50andgettingfit - 2011-09-27 8:02 PM

Johanne

You are my hero!! Where do you get the energy?? Just amazing. You don't stop moving. Whats the secret?!!?!

Which IM are you thining of doing?

2011-09-28 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

My September was a little over the top but I have such a hard time saying no when there are fun things to do.

We have one more weekend away and then I'm home for a couple, thank goodness! We're meeting our 3 kids in Las Vegas this weekend to celebrate our youngest turning 21. She's never been there so it'll be fun to check out all the hotels, etc. We're going to an ice bar and a cirque show and I'm sure doing a little drinking in between I moved my workouts around so I just have a 45 min run Saturday and I'm taking Sunday off so I should survive. I'm not sure how I'm going to stay up past 10:00 though

Yes, I think a IM focused group would give me a lot of info. I hope someone starts one for next year. I'm going to sign up for IMAZ. We're going this year to volunteer and cheer 5 friends/family that are racing and then I'll get an automatic in the next morning. It'll be an exciting year for me. I never would of even had it on the radar a couple of years ago.

2011-09-28 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3703543

User image

Master
Dunedin
50andgettingfit - 2011-09-28 11:18 AM

My September was a little over the top but I have such a hard time saying no when there are fun things to do.

We have one more weekend away and then I'm home for a couple, thank goodness! We're meeting our 3 kids in Las Vegas this weekend to celebrate our youngest turning 21. She's never been there so it'll be fun to check out all the hotels, etc. We're going to an ice bar and a cirque show and I'm sure doing a little drinking in between I moved my workouts around so I just have a 45 min run Saturday and I'm taking Sunday off so I should survive. I'm not sure how I'm going to stay up past 10:00 though

Yes, I think a IM focused group would give me a lot of info. I hope someone starts one for next year. I'm going to sign up for IMAZ. We're going this year to volunteer and cheer 5 friends/family that are racing and then I'll get an automatic in the next morning. It'll be an exciting year for me. I never would of even had it on the radar a couple of years ago.

Vegas, baby, Vegas!  Wow, what a cool family! I went to Vegas a few weeks after I turned 21 and I can't imagine your daughter having those same experiences I did with the mom and dad around. Innocent

I've heard good things about IMAZ.  Now that you have a century ride under your belt, you'll be able to throw down a bunch more.  Look for FredDoucette when the mentor groups restart.  He was my mentor when I did IMLP and has a lot of patience with his mentees and experience with that distance.  Definitely shop around, though, if you can because there may be other IM focused groups next time and you may get different vibes from each mentor based on what they write for their intro.  Good luck!

2011-09-28 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3704015

User image

Expert
San Jose
WittyCityGirl - 2011-09-28 12:15 PM
50andgettingfit - 2011-09-28 11:18 AM

Vegas, baby, Vegas!  Wow, what a cool family! I went to Vegas a few weeks after I turned 21 and I can't imagine your daughter having those same experiences I did with the mom and dad around. Innocent

I've heard good things about IMAZ.  Now that you have a century ride under your belt, you'll be able to throw down a bunch more.  Look for FredDoucette when the mentor groups restart.  He was my mentor when I did IMLP and has a lot of patience with his mentees and experience with that distance.  Definitely shop around, though, if you can because there may be other IM focused groups next time and you may get different vibes from each mentor based on what they write for their intro.  Good luck!

I'm sure her experiences will be very different with us around She saves those for her college weekends! She went out last Saturday night so she could order her first official drink at midnight. She texted me at 3:00 am to say she didn't puke. Haha! she then proceeded to have mimosa's at brunch and Bailey's in her coffee during her afternoon sorority meetings and who knows what Sunday night. Monday morning she texted me to say she felt like poop. She had to feel miserable sometime on her birthday weekend! It's tradition!

I will check out the new groups. I've looked through some of Fred Doucette's group and there seems to be a lot of good stuff there. IMAZ is relatively flat which is the big selling point for me.

2011-09-28 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3702881

Extreme Veteran
WittyCityGirl - 2011-09-27 7:44 PM
suzielea - 2011-09-27 2:02 AM

Someone else may have a different thought on this, but either the lower rpms are for a recovery ride OR if you were on a trainer they may be higher resistance rides to help build leg strength.

You're right - here's what the program saids:

Our last type of workout we’ll have on our schedule is a Muscular Endurance workout, and these workouts involve pedaling at a lower cadence to improve our strength. By using the big chain ring in the front of the bike, you’ll be forced to pedal slower and with a more focused pedal stroke.

Would hills/ high gear riding on flat give the same/simalar results if I'm riding on the road?

2011-10-02 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Hope you are all having a great weekend!!

I'm heading to the Y to put the hurting on the ergometer (basically spinning around and around with my arms, not the cooler "rower" kind).  Then some upper body lifting.  The area where I had the hernia repair is still sore from pulling something last weekend.  I bet I'll need another week before I can try using the lower body.

2011-10-02 8:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Bike came inside tonight and is now set up on the trainer.  Now if I can just get on it....

2011-10-03 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

I've been a total fat load lately. No swim, no bike for nearly 2 weeks, although I've been running. No 'get up & go'. Nothing...

I'm convined the declining amount of daylight is having adverse affects on me as I get older. The whole get up in the dark, come home in the dark just clouds my psyche, and makes me a dull boy.

2011-10-03 9:05 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Just got home from a tri club meeting and announced my departure to New Zealand in a few months followed by an open invitation to race Ironman New Zealand in March 2014 - same invitation applies here!!

Many club members also mentioned that the swim/bike/run routine has been replaced by making a permanent dent in the couch cushions.  I say it's healthy to recharge for a few weeks, just have a plan to get back on the wagon!

Suzanne, someone brought this to my attention as a 0-700 meter program:http://ruthkazez.com/Zeroto1milePreamble/pre-zero.html let me know what you think!

As for me, no training still.  Did a nice 5 mile walk with the dog this weekend and had no pain, so I think in another week I'll try going on the elliptical or something.

2011-10-03 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I admit, it makes me feel a bit better that I am not the only one taking a bit of time from training....though in my case, the time has increased as this stupid cough from my cold has not gone away! I am really dying to get back to training, but I don't want to push it with this cough...I don't want to get sick all over again! On the other hand, my mud run is on Oct 30th--that's not a huge amount of time...

Sara, if I was going to try to do an IM race at some point I would totally want to go to NZ to do it! I really don't have any inclination to do so, right now--the farthest I can see myself racing is MAYBE a 1/2 iron--years from now...then again, who knows? Down the road, that bug may just bite!

2011-10-04 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Feeling btter today! Woke up at 3:55 AM and felt ready to take on the world. Headed to the basement to ride the trainer a bit and try out my new bike video from The Sufferfest.  www.thesufferfest.com

So, an hour or so later I get off the bike exhausted, wobbly, and feeling great. And tired . Seems to have been the spark I needed to get off my duff.

If you check out their website, the video I followed today is call "The Hunted". I'm going to get a few others. These are fun!

ETA -- I just re-read this and just about anywhere else in the universe, 99.9999% of the folks reading it would tink I was totally insane. Not only for getting up at 4 AM, but then riding a bike for an hour going nowhere, and beating myself to a pulp doing it. . Its why I love this place. You guys get it

Edited by Mike_D 2011-10-04 7:26 AM
2011-10-04 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Good for you Mike! Maybe you just needed a little rest before that spark hit you again

Kate, I guess if you have to be sick, maybe it's better during a slow time. Did you guys get some rain? We got some overnight and we're supposed to get more Tuesday night. First rain of the season! People get nutty around here

I still have 2 1/2 more weeks until my last tri of the season. An HIM in Tempe. Originally, I signed up as a good way to finish the season and to visit my daughter while I was there. Now she's living/working at home and my husband is going to see our other daughter that weekend for an event she has so I'm going to go solo. It's going to be weird going to a race by myself

Sara, hope the pain is going away. That's been nagging you for a while. The off season will be good for you. IMNZ sounds like loads of fun. I'm taking one year at a time. Most likely IMAZ in 2012 and if IM San Luis Obispo if a go, then that might be in my plans for 2013......if I survive 2012

Vegas was fun! Two days was plenty. That city is a whole other world!

2011-10-04 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3710084

User image

Master
Dunedin
kgore - 2011-10-03 10:18 PM

I admit, it makes me feel a bit better that I am not the only one taking a bit of time from training....though in my case, the time has increased as this stupid cough from my cold has not gone away! I am really dying to get back to training, but I don't want to push it with this cough...I don't want to get sick all over again! On the other hand, my mud run is on Oct 30th--that's not a huge amount of time...

Sara, if I was going to try to do an IM race at some point I would totally want to go to NZ to do it! I really don't have any inclination to do so, right now--the farthest I can see myself racing is MAYBE a 1/2 iron--years from now...then again, who knows? Down the road, that bug may just bite!

Kate, I PROMISE you that if you ever saw an IM in person (did you say you're going to see Tempe, or was that Johanne?)...you will be SO inspired by those athletes that you'll want to do one, too!!

So, Ironman NZ in March 2014...the kicker is that airfare is crazy expensive.  Right now, round trip from New York to Auckland is about $2,700.  The cost of the race entry fee is ~$700.  So, it's not a cheap trip because you'd have to pay to fly your bike over, pay for food and accomodations and wrack up LOTS of vacation time (most of our tri club folks are planning on 2 weeks away from work to get there, race, and recover a little before heading home).

I hear Taupo is beeeautiful!!!!!  And, there will be plenty of really cool, really friendly people there. Wink

2011-10-04 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3710327

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-10-04 8:24 AM

Feeling btter today! Woke up at 3:55 AM and felt ready to take on the world. Headed to the basement to ride the trainer a bit and try out my new bike video from The Sufferfest.  www.thesufferfest.com

So, an hour or so later I get off the bike exhausted, wobbly, and feeling great. And tired . Seems to have been the spark I needed to get off my duff.

If you check out their website, the video I followed today is call "The Hunted". I'm going to get a few others. These are fun!

ETA -- I just re-read this and just about anywhere else in the universe, 99.9999% of the folks reading it would tink I was totally insane. Not only for getting up at 4 AM, but then riding a bike for an hour going nowhere, and beating myself to a pulp doing it. . Its why I love this place. You guys get it

LOL... I have my moments where I don't "get" 4 a.m. workouts!  Laughing  Great work kicking your butt!

2011-10-04 11:30 AM
in reply to: #3710581

User image

Master
Dunedin
50andgettingfit - 2011-10-04 10:58 AM

Vegas was fun! Two days was plenty. That city is a whole other world!

Aww, man! Sounds like you didn't win big at the card tables!

Enjoy the IM journey.  We have two schools of IM people in our tri club...those that will go year after year and those that will go every couple of years.  It's as much mental as it is physical before, during, and after that race.  I'm looking forward to a super conservative recovering/training effort to get back into IM shape.  I don't plan on putting a hurtin' on the Taupo course, I just want to enjoy being out there with 3,000 of my new friends.

2011-10-04 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3710581

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

50andgettingfit -  Did you guys get some rain? We got some overnight and we're supposed to get more Tuesday night. First rain of the season! People get nutty around here

We got a little bit of rain--enough to wet the streets briefly, but that's about it---it was still enough for people to get nutty here, too! Tonight there is a 'long, soaking rain' that is supposed to arrive--with its friend 'gusty winds'....yuck---I don't really like the windy parts--we have an oak tree right next to our bedroom, and though the winds that come through blow in a different direction (usually), I always worry that it will fall on the house!

Sara--Oh, no worries, I KNOW I would totally be inspired if I went to an IM event, but not only does the distance sorta scare me, its the costs---a ?$100 entry fee nearly breaks me! I can barely afford this sport....being poor is a downside to being a zookeeper--there are no rich zookeepers (unless they marry well!!! )

I am doing a bit better today, coughing a bit less, and the nose is a little emptier....I am going to try a light workout tonight. just a little run.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72