BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-04-22 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open

Wells and Bermuday - Welcome! I will add more later.

Finished the Duathlon/HIM.  Beat my bike goal but just barely made my "B" goal for the run.  More later as I recover.

Later!

2012-04-22 5:15 PM

Georgia

Rode a century on Saturday. A LOT hillier than I expected. Knee was not happy about that. After about 20 miles, I was pretty much toast and just sucked it up and did it. And I was completely alone, which was no fun. Iced the knee quite a lot after.

A slow and easy 22 mile recovery ride today with a friend.

Planning on a run or walk tomorrow.

I now have the swimming and biking down for the 1/2 on May 20. Just gotta get the running going again!

2012-04-23 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Sparta

Got behind on my reading so, Welcome all newcomers! It is great to read all the sucesses and encouragement being passed out with setbacks and injury's. Congrats CC on PB 5K. I'm with Shelly on sub 35 being good and am looking to join the PMem due to your positive review.

I am still gearing up for my first 10k on May 12 and have logged 42 miles so far in April and ran 5.75 miles (1:07) last week without stopping, which for me is a PB since 1975! 0.0 laps in the pool, but have managed a few rides. Once the 10 k is over, will hit swimming hard and add more miles to the bike. Still riding the MB for the Sprint in July, but hope to pick up a used road bike for the oly in October. While I am not fast in the water, I am as happy as a fish and float naturally without much effort.

If you want to drop some pounds and haven't tryed myfitnesspal.com I encourage you to take a look at it. Chris recommened it to the group earlier this year. I started using it in March and have lost 20+, it has really helped me keep an eye on things.

If it was easy, then everyone would do it .(RealRunners)

David

2012-04-23 9:32 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!

Recovery day as I am pretty sore.  Found I avgd 19.1 mph on the bike and managed a 2:20 on the run.  Overall I was MOP which is where I was aiming.  Overall I am super happy with yesterdays effort.  Working on the RR and will have it out in a day or two.

I am keeping up with the posts (reading wise) but will start responding soon.  Keep up the great work!

2012-04-23 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Sparta

Question: Since I have just recently started running for an hour or more at a time, I started to carry a small water bottle last week to sip on. I found it difficult and uncomfortable. Anyone else carry water for longer runs? Does it get easier with more practice? Any other tips or advice?

Thanks. David

2012-04-23 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4166837

Georgia
dwpiggott - 2012-04-23 10:36 AM

Question: Since I have just recently started running for an hour or more at a time, I started to carry a small water bottle last week to sip on. I found it difficult and uncomfortable. Anyone else carry water for longer runs? Does it get easier with more practice? Any other tips or advice?

Thanks. David

Yes, it definitely gets easier! Are you using a strap? Ultimate Direction and Nathan both make good ones. Your local running store should have some options, too.

2012-04-23 9:45 AM

Veteran
dwpiggott - 2012-04-23 9:36 AM

Thanks. David

I have a fuel belt that I use for long (more than 2 hour) runs bc I can carry nutrition in it. It takes a while to get used to but now I like it. I have a handheld strap thing ( don't know the name) that I use for 1-2 hour runs. It holds a small fuel belt-sized water bottle on my palm and makes it super easy to carry water because you don't have to waste energy actually holding the bottle in your hand.

Congrats on the long runs! It's a great feeling to be able to run long.
2012-04-23 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4166610

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
dwpiggott - 2012-04-23 9:20 AM

I am still gearing up for my first 10k on May 12 and have logged 42 miles so far in April and ran 5.75 miles (1:07) last week without stopping, which for me is a PB since 1975! 0.0 laps in the pool, but have managed a few rides. Once the 10 k is over, will hit swimming hard and add more miles to the bike. Still riding the MB for the Sprint in July, but hope to pick up a used road bike for the oly in October. While I am not fast in the water, I am as happy as a fish and float naturally without much effort.

If you want to drop some pounds and haven't tryed myfitnesspal.com I encourage you to take a look at it. Chris recommened it to the group earlier this year. I started using it in March and have lost 20+, it has really helped me keep an eye on things.

David ... great job with running and your PB - I'm jealous.  And your attitude is right where it needs to be.  Most of us simply focus on doing our best, regardless of what others do ... doing our best is what makes us proud.  Thanks too for the tip on myfitnesspal.com.  I signed up today

2012-04-23 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4166818

User image

Master
St. Louis
GaryRM - 2012-04-23 9:32 AM

Hey all!

Recovery day as I am pretty sore.  Found I avgd 19.1 mph on the bike and managed a 2:20 on the run.  Overall I was MOP which is where I was aiming.  Overall I am super happy with yesterdays effort.  Working on the RR and will have it out in a day or two.

I am keeping up with the posts (reading wise) but will start responding soon.  Keep up the great work!

Nice job Gary!  Congrats!

2012-04-23 12:59 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
dwpiggott - 2012-04-23 9:36 AM

Thanks. David

I carry a bottle of water in my hands for runs longer than an hour and just got use to it.  I started in the summer when it was 90+ degrees and used a frozen water bottle.  Helped keep me cool for the first 30 minutes.

2012-04-23 2:34 PM

Georgia

Wetsuit Question
I have a Vortex suit, which I'm generally happy with. But, it's really tight around my neck. I've heard of folks actually cutting a line in their wetsuit neck to make it more loose. Thoughts? Any suggestions?

Forum Question:
Do we simply keep replying to the original thread over and over again? Can we change the Subject from "Re: Gary's Mentor Group - Open"?

2012-04-23 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4167781

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
coexist - 2012-04-23 2:34 PM

Wetsuit Question
I have a Vortex suit, which I'm generally happy with. But, it's really tight around my neck. I've heard of folks actually cutting a line in their wetsuit neck to make it more loose. Thoughts? Any suggestions?

Forum Question:
Do we simply keep replying to the original thread over and over again? Can we change the Subject from "Re: Gary's Mentor Group - Open"?

As for the wetsuit I have heard of people doing this but don't know anyone directly to guide you.  Sorry no help.

As for the Forum, yes you keep posting here.  In fact one of the items we tell all new members is to start reading thru the earlier posts.  There is a lot of great information available.  As for the Subject line, I will be changing it to Gary's Mentor Group - Closed once we are full again.  This is standard practice for all of the mentor groups. 

The groups membership will always morph.  Eventually people leave either to start their own mentor groups or decide that Tri's are not their thing, etc.  But once you join the group you are always welcome to return. 

2012-04-23 7:37 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

I got behind a bit too, and will go back and do better, but welcome to Bermuda, Dave, and Coexist!  I think I caught the others previously.

A month out and I was planning on hitting it hard this week, but the guy above had different plans for me.  My younger cousin (29) passed away suddenly this weekend and I'm headed home (NYC) to be with family for the services tomorrow morning.  I'll be back Wed late afternoon and will try to get some sort of workout in then, but the next 2 days will be a whirlwind, so I'm going to play it by ear.

I did have a good day today though.  Had a 1000m continuous swim early this morning, and an 8.25 mile run (1:18:49) this afternoon.  I was planning on going 7, but bumped into a buddy at the 6.22 MM who was out taking a different loop, and I ran 2 miles with him.  His pace was about a minute slower than mine, but I still finished the run at just above 9:30 pace.  For those of you that don't know (I think most everyone), I've been 10k twice in my life.  Once 3 weeks ago, and once like 15 years ago.  So this was a huge best for me by 2 miles.  I've never been over an hour before either. 

Gary, nice job with NOLA!!!  Sucks they had to modify it.  I know how much you were looking forward to conquering that beast.  I'm going to assume it was weather related?  Look forward to reading that race report.

And I have been viewing those youtube videos recommended on transitions.  They've been helpful.  I'll be asking a few more noob questions, and I mean some serious noob questions, in the next week or so.  Good news is..... I think my body is ready.

May you all enjoy your week, and don't skimp on any chances to squeeze your loved ones tight!  That's what they're there for.

Catch you all in a few days!

Chris

2012-04-23 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4162129

User image

Expert
Hammond
Panther - 2012-04-20 6:25 AM
p>On a self-indulgent note:  Is it possible to make a 'sticky' post on the 1st page with a list of the members of this group so we can 'friend' each other in order to watch training logs and 'inspire'?  I am just finding it a bit daunting to go through 80 pages of posts to see all who are here.  Just wondering.....

Dave

Dave,
I think that's an awesome idea. Or maybe some type of roll call or something. We have had members come and go but there are quite a few regulars and now some wonderful new peeps. I'd love to have a current list with everyone's user names and real names. So I'm seconding the vote for this.

What you think Gary- is it possible?
Shelly
2012-04-23 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4168461

User image

Expert
Hammond
ccoffin - 2012-04-23 7:37 PM

I got behind a bit too, and will go back and do better, but welcome to Bermuda, Dave, and Coexist!  I think I caught the others previously.

A month out and I was planning on hitting it hard this week, but the guy above had different plans for me.  My younger cousin (29) passed away suddenly this weekend and I'm headed home (NYC) to be with family for the services tomorrow morning.  I'll be back Wed late afternoon and will try to get some sort of workout in then, but the next 2 days will be a whirlwind, so I'm going to play it by ear.

I did have a good day today though.  Had a 1000m continuous swim early this morning, and an 8.25 mile run (1:18:49) this afternoon.  I was planning on going 7, but bumped into a buddy at the 6.22 MM who was out taking a different loop, and I ran 2 miles with him.  His pace was about a minute slower than mine, but I still finished the run at just above 9:30 pace.  For those of you that don't know (I think most everyone), I've been 10k twice in my life.  Once 3 weeks ago, and once like 15 years ago.  So this was a huge best for me by 2 miles.  I've never been over an hour before either. 

Gary, nice job with NOLA!!!  Sucks they had to modify it.  I know how much you were looking forward to conquering that beast.  I'm going to assume it was weather related?  Look forward to reading that race report.

And I have been viewing those youtube videos recommended on transitions.  They've been helpful.  I'll be asking a few more noob questions, and I mean some serious noob questions, in the next week or so.  Good news is..... I think my body is ready.

May you all enjoy your week, and don't skimp on any chances to squeeze your loved ones tight!  That's what they're there for.

Chris

Chris,
So sorry to hear about your cousin. I lost one of mine when he was 25 and 8 years later it still hurts. It gets easier but we'll never stop missing him.
Awesome job on the 8mi and PR. I wish I had your times- lol. Your 8 mile time was my 10k and that was fast for me ;-).
Ask away- there's probably quite a few of us that have the same or similar questions and someone will definitely have an answer. Also if you get time check out the beginner's link above. Lots of great information there and some pretty cool videos.

Shelly
2012-04-23 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4165017

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: RE: Mixed results
Scottyv6290 - 2012-04-22 1:51 AM

Had a great swim workout his morning. Only went about 1,000 yards but I have finally reached the swim fitness level where I feel like I can get in a rhythm And just keep going. My walk on Friday night was a real bummer. Mt PT thought I should start walking again as part of my training so I went for it. It hurt my knee pretty bad. Ibuprofin in large quantities today has helped. I may need to sign up for my first tri as a two person relay and have my daughter do the run for me. What do you guys think? One the one hand it would be really cool to include my DD in my goal, but I really want to do the whole race. Would it be acceptable to just walk the 5 k and tough it out?

Scott,
I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I would think it's probably best to relay this race with your dd and give your knee the time it needs to heal. You can always pick another race further out and meet your ultimate goal without chancing prolonging your recovery.

Of course it depends how far out the race is. I would imagine that it's normal to be hurting some if this was your first time walking any type distance again. What does your PT say?

Shelly

2012-04-23 8:31 PM
in reply to: #4165266

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed
bermudagirl1 - 2012-04-22 9:41 AM

Hello group,

New to triathlon's and need motivation mostly to get up early and train.  I was a middle of the road runner.  2005-2007 had worked up to doing half and full marathons and really enjoyed it.  I had torn my acl twenty years ago and Sept 2010 had acl surgery as my knee was buckling a lot.  I felt pain all the time with running.  I feel I am at ground zero with running so I know cross training is better for the body so here I am.   Today I ran 3 miles in 36 mins which is awful considering I was running 10 min miles consistently and finished the marathon at a 10:30 per mile pace.   I have been working myself up slowly and I just need consistent training to pull it all together.  I am a 45yr old female with a great family.  My husband was an excellent triathlete until a a hip injury a couple of years ago.  We both agree training advice sometimes is best when it does not come from a spouse. My original goal was to do an early season sprint in NH June 24th and then another in August in Maine.   Need humor and motivation and I will do this.  I am determined to.  Taking the trek road bike in for a tune up today.  I like to ride ten to 15 miles mostly due to time constraints with a busy family.  Learning little by little how to swim distance.  The concept is so different from running.  Hope you will encourage this very new triathlete into your group.  I am 5'2 and 135 would love to lose ffiteen pounds or at least turn my flab to muscle and try to eat less carbs and increase protein. 

Hi bermudagirl,
Welcome to the group. We have plenty of humor to go around so you should fit right in. What model Trek do you have? My bike is a Trek and I love it. Mine's a Gary Fisher Ion WSD and it is perfect for me. I am a Trek girl- lol.
And don't feel bad about your 3 miles in 36 min. That would be a PR for me if I could even do it- hehe. So there's always someone slower. My last race I couldn't decide if I wanted a tshirt that said "Dear God please let there be someone behind me to read this" or the one that said- "If found on ground, please drag across the finish line". So believe me your ground zero is still better than my improved running-lol.
Shelly
2012-04-23 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4165756

User image

Expert
Hammond
GaryRM - 2012-04-22 4:56 PM

Wells and Bermuday - Welcome! I will add more later.

Finished the Duathlon/HIM.  Beat my bike goal but just barely made my "B" goal for the run.  More later as I recover.

Later!

Can't wait to read the race report. Awesome job on beating your bike goal.

Shelly
2012-04-23 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4165780

User image

Expert
Hammond
coexist - 2012-04-22 5:15 PM

Rode a century on Saturday. A LOT hillier than I expected. Knee was not happy about that. After about 20 miles, I was pretty much toast and just sucked it up and did it. And I was completely alone, which was no fun. Iced the knee quite a lot after.

A slow and easy 22 mile recovery ride today with a friend.

Planning on a run or walk tomorrow.

I now have the swimming and biking down for the 1/2 on May 20. Just gotta get the running going again!

Great job on the century. It's hard for me to wrap my head around "easy recovery ride" and 22 miles going together- lol. That's a long ride for me. I gotta get my butt riding more.

Shelly
2012-04-23 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4168461

User image

Veteran
Sparta
ccoffin - 2012-04-23 8:37 PM

Chris

Chris, sorry to hear about your cousin, safe travels. Just got a call tonight my brother in laws cancer has returned. He is out a Mayo Clinic and there is a new treatment that was just approved he will be starting in 2 weeks. We are all hopeful it will work. I agree, hug your loved ones frequently.

2012-04-23 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4168510

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
fitmomma2010 - 2012-04-23 8:04 PM
Panther - 2012-04-20 6:25 AM p>On a self-indulgent note:  Is it possible to make a 'sticky' post on the 1st page with a list of the members of this group so we can 'friend' each other in order to watch training logs and 'inspire'?  I am just finding it a bit daunting to go through 80 pages of posts to see all who are here.  Just wondering.....

Dave

Dave, I think that's an awesome idea. Or maybe some type of roll call or something. We have had members come and go but there are quite a few regulars and now some wonderful new peeps. I'd love to have a current list with everyone's user names and real names. So I'm seconding the vote for this. What you think Gary- is it possible? Shelly

Yes, I can still edit the first post and add a list of current members and their first names.  It will have to go after my intro information as that gets reused each time the mentor groups get reopened.  Give me a couple of days to get this done.  I am still wrapping up the paperwork from the Skeeter run packet stuff and am trying to get my RR done.  Also this pesky thing called work is interferring with my fun.

Edited by GaryRM 2012-04-23 8:49 PM

2012-04-23 9:02 PM

User image

Keller
I generally consider 22 miles as my long day. I don't think I would consider it my recovery ride. Nice job Gary.
2012-04-24 11:02 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Chris - sorry to hear about your cousin, travel safely.

DW - sorry to hear about BIL's cancer.  Prayers for him and hope the new treatment does the job.

Oh boy, still sore but getting better.  Thinking of hitting the pool and using the pull buoy.  1/2 hr in cool water sounds good just about now.

Gary's question - For the newbies I tend to post questions out to the group to generate discussion on various Tri topics. 

This weeks: Tires and tubes - any preferences?  Anyone run latex tubes?

2012-04-24 11:41 AM

User image

Expert

Gary 

Great job on NOLA.  Too bad the swim was cancelled.  That's why I am doing an inland lake 70.3 this year.  Last summer the swim was cancelled on Steelhead and it was  major bummer.  Still a 2/56/13.1 DU is huge and you kicked a$$.  Can't wait to read the RR.  I am 47 days out and ramping up.  Still waiting for warmer weather to return so I can hit the open road on my bike.  2+hr trainer rides are getting old.  My first Brick in 2 days.  Don't overdo the recovery.  I injured myself last summer coming back too fast from Steelhead and had to skip the fall Mary.

Rob

2012-04-24 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4165344

User image

New user

Dorm57 - 2012-04-22 8:45 AM
Scottyv6290 - 2012-04-22 11:10 AM
GaryRM - 2012-04-22 2:21 AM

Scotty - as cool as it would be to do the whole thing it sounds like your body needs a little more time.  IMHO I would sign up for the relay with your DD and hold off on doing the whole thing until you are ready.

THanks for the advise Gary. I think you are right. The biking and swimming are going really well and I don't want to make my knee worse. Plus it would be really cool to do a race with my DD. I hope you kick some tail today in tour race even if it is modified a bit.

Scotty - I had knee soreness last year to the point wherein I could not run and the soreness hung around for 2 months.  I relayed a race with one of my daughters and we absolutely had a ball.  The thing that really helped me get over the soreness was wearing one of the Pro-Tec thin strip knee straps when running.  It helped support the tendon in the right places and gradually the soreness went away.

Thanks Dorm57.  I will ask my PT about the knee strap.  I'll try anything that would help.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115