BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dirk's Junkie group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 68

2012-04-03 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4127587

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Dirk's Junkie group - CLOSED

mambos - 2012-04-03 2:20 PM The bike build is coming a long, all I need is a stem for the handle bar and I am ready to go! My goal is to get it assembled this weekend! Hopefully pictures will be posted by Sunday!

Nice!  Can't wait to see it, and then read the reports of her maiden voyage.  You’re gonna kick it this year.  You’ve really come a long way in a very short time.  Your running improvement is most impressive, so if the bike keeps up you’ll be a force.

2012-04-03 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4127587

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

mambos - 2012-04-03 1:20 PM The bike build is coming a long, all I need is a stem for the handle bar and I am ready to go! My goal is to get it assembled this weekend! Hopefully pictures will be posted by Sunday!

And how about a new profile picture?  It's SPRING now!!!!

And I do recognize the hypocrisy in that since I've been running the same picture since the jurassic period.

2012-04-03 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4127626

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
wbayek - 2012-04-03 2:32 PM

mambos - 2012-04-03 2:20 PM The bike build is coming a long, all I need is a stem for the handle bar and I am ready to go! My goal is to get it assembled this weekend! Hopefully pictures will be posted by Sunday!

Nice!  Can't wait to see it, and then read the reports of her maiden voyage.  You’re gonna kick it this year.  You’ve really come a long way in a very short time.  Your running improvement is most impressive, so if the bike keeps up you’ll be a force.

Agreed with all of the above AND I am glad he's not i my AG.  I would be getting a little nervous about now

2012-04-03 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4126986

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
JonnyVero - 2012-04-03 11:35 AM

The weather broke on Sunday and in the afternoon I did a couple hours of pulling weeds and running the weed eater before my run. Then yesterday during my swim and the run my hamstrings let it be known that they didn't care for yard work in those amounts. I'm still really sore today (the muscles feel super tight). I'm planning a short run today anyway, but it's going to be a challenge.

On a more positive note: I swam yesterday and took it very easy. 6x100 with 30 sec rest between after a 6x25 warmup and no gas discomfort afterward. I didn't even feel the need to belch air during any part of the swim. I'm getting closer!

Signs of progress on all sides Vero.  I'm most happy to hear that you are getting the swim thing figured out and under control.

The weather seems to have made it to spring a little early here and the benefits of riding outside are really showing right now.  I need to do some of the same type of yard work too.  I'll ave a little bit of extra time in this weekend since it's a nice long 4 day weekend for me.

2012-04-03 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3945020

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Dudes and Dudettes....first masters workout of my life tonight.  Whoa...my arms are SHOT.  I'm definitely going back on Thursday.  I'll have no choice but to be fast!!!
2012-04-04 6:03 AM
in reply to: #4127242

User image

Bronze member
DirkP - 2012-04-03 11:40 AM
JeffY - 2012-04-03 12:17 PM
cycletherapy - 2012-04-03 9:12 AM

Dirk, Jeff, Jonathan, and Warren, I really appreciate the time you all have taken to help us out.  I have learned so much here, and it's pretty exciting to feel my body getting stronger.  

I think that it's pretty cool with the amount of injuries and other adversities how this group has stayed strong, positive, and committed.  I'm proud of everyone here!

I agree completely!  You are all a group of determined athletes! 

Agreed.  There has been a lot of adversity that has hit this group over a short period of time.  For each person that has been injured, they have shown a lot of perseverance and dedication to training.

YES! Personally I have the advice and motivation of the group to thank for helping me get back up and going again. I have all but forgotten about the tendonitis in my foot that I struggled with for almost a year. That is such a HUGE relief and I credit the advice of the group for this progress!

On a training note....

I had a really fun but short brick workout on Monday night. I let loose a little on the run and felt like an athlete instead of an old lady dragging her feet. No ill effects later, back held up, feet feel good. I was feeling pretty good about myself. Then yesterday I ran some laps around the track with my toddler gym kids. Mind you, these children are 3 & 4 years old - I could not even keep up LOL! Looks like I need to teach them some pacing strategies .

Matt I agree I want to see some pictures of your bike!

Jonathon you'll be smokin fast on the swim if you stick with the Masters swimmers. Sounds painful to me.

2012-04-04 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4128450

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

jgerbodegrant - 2012-04-03 9:36 PM Dudes and Dudettes....first masters workout of my life tonight.  Whoa...my arms are SHOT.  I'm definitely going back on Thursday.  I'll have no choice but to be fast!!!

When you can't pick up your coffee up in the morning, you KNOW it was a good workout.

So quick question for all you bike gurus - I'm not feeling tired enough after my rides. What should I do?

Background: I regularly (twice a week) do a 16.5ish mile ride with two climbs - 1.3mi at 3.4% and 1.6mi at 3.9%. I push hard enough that my legs feel wasted at the top of both hills (they happen in quick succession), but after a mile or so of either downhill or flat pavement, they feel fine again. I did 30 miles of relatively flat stuff (only 700ft of elevation gain) and felt pretty wasted right after I finished, but after a couple of hours I felt okay again.

Should I push harder on the bottom of the climbs and force myself to finish so I'm more tired at the top? Or push harder on the last part when my legs already feel like they're about to drop off? I could push harder on the 6-7 mi of flat leading to the hills in the first place, so I start the succession tireder... Does it matter as long as I make myself more tired?

John

2012-04-04 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4129066

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
guitarfrk75 - 2012-04-04 8:10 AM

jgerbodegrant - 2012-04-03 9:36 PM Dudes and Dudettes....first masters workout of my life tonight.  Whoa...my arms are SHOT.  I'm definitely going back on Thursday.  I'll have no choice but to be fast!!!

When you can't pick up your coffee up in the morning, you KNOW it was a good workout.

So quick question for all you bike gurus - I'm not feeling tired enough after my rides. What should I do?

Background: I regularly (twice a week) do a 16.5ish mile ride with two climbs - 1.3mi at 3.4% and 1.6mi at 3.9%. I push hard enough that my legs feel wasted at the top of both hills (they happen in quick succession), but after a mile or so of either downhill or flat pavement, they feel fine again. I did 30 miles of relatively flat stuff (only 700ft of elevation gain) and felt pretty wasted right after I finished, but after a couple of hours I felt okay again.

Should I push harder on the bottom of the climbs and force myself to finish so I'm more tired at the top? Or push harder on the last part when my legs already feel like they're about to drop off? I could push harder on the 6-7 mi of flat leading to the hills in the first place, so I start the succession tireder... Does it matter as long as I make myself more tired?

John

Bingo!  No it doesn't matter.  Just make yourself more tired.  I do have to say though, that the priority must go to greater distances rather than more intense efforts.  (a mixture of the 2 is important, but short, intense efforts alone won't do the trick).

Now 16.5 miles is a rather short bike ride.  I understand that may be all the time you have on those days and so be it.  Just ride harder on the flats.  Do this: target the AVG pace for the ride.  Work on seeing exactly how high you can get that 1 metric on these rides.

If your cycling is time constrained, make sure that you use the weekend to get a good 3 hr ride in.  It will work WONDERS for your cycling performance, and strangely enough...your running performance off the bike.

2012-04-04 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4129153

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
JeffY - 2012-04-04 9:39 AM
guitarfrk75 - 2012-04-04 8:10 AM

John

Bingo!  No it doesn't matter.  Just make yourself more tired.  I do have to say though, that the priority must go to greater distances rather than more intense efforts.  (a mixture of the 2 is important, but short, intense efforts alone won't do the trick).

Now 16.5 miles is a rather short bike ride.  I understand that may be all the time you have on those days and so be it.  Just ride harder on the flats.  Do this: target the AVG pace for the ride.  Work on seeing exactly how high you can get that 1 metric on these rides.

If your cycling is time constrained, make sure that you use the weekend to get a good 3 hr ride in.  It will work WONDERS for your cycling performance, and strangely enough...your running performance off the bike.

Let me put that this way - I have an hour, so the faster I can go, the further I can go!

Saturday mornings are reserved for a long ride, although I haven't managed to get as far as I'd like recently. Last Saturday was a two hour ride, I'm hoping for at least three this week. I have some extra time tonight, so I'm thinking about doing a mountain loop for a couple of hours - 3.1 mile loop with 430ft of elevation gain. It'll keep me off the main roads during rush hour.

We'll see what the weather does...

2012-04-04 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4129301

User image

NH
guitarfrk75 - 2012-04-04 10:24 AM

Let me put that this way - I have an hour, so the faster I can go, the further I can go!

Saturday mornings are reserved for a long ride, although I haven't managed to get as far as I'd like recently. Last Saturday was a two hour ride, I'm hoping for at least three this week. I have some extra time tonight, so I'm thinking about doing a mountain loop for a couple of hours - 3.1 mile loop with 430ft of elevation gain. It'll keep me off the main roads during rush hour.

We'll see what the weather does...

I'll totally agree that you should bike as hard as you can on shorter rides. Hills are fabulous for built in intervals, as putting out more power on hills is very natural and easy to do.  Once riding starts outside for me, I'll spend one day hammering hills just to build strength.  I also do one medium long (2-ish hours) ride and really hammer some hills along the way.

But remember that an important skill to time trial well is to normalize your effort regardless of conditions - terrain, wind, etc.  One thing that really saps a lot of people on the bike is pushing too hard on up hills and into the wind, then trying to recover on downhills and flats.  This is a sure fire way to cook yourself on the bike and/or have a sub-par run.  A more efficient way to get your best bike followed by your best run is to not overcook the uphills but to even out effort throughout the ride.  This is more important the longer the event.

In terms of your original comment - this means that you need to really learn how to push harder on the flats, so I think you should spend at least some of your time each week doing hard efforts on flat-ish roads.  Sounds like you have a lot hills in your area which should really help build your strength.

2012-04-04 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3945020

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Here's a video shot yesterday in the weight room.  I'm sharing it because I'm overwhelmingly excited about how my shoulder has recovered from my surgery!

http://youtu.be/tACKErzdgWc

2012-04-04 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4129649

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
JeffY - 2012-04-04 12:16 PM

Here's a video shot yesterday in the weight room.  I'm sharing it because I'm overwhelmingly excited about how my shoulder has recovered from my surgery!

That's incredible man.  I have never been good at pull-ups.  My long arms don't help either. 

On another note, I'm tapping out of this group since the new one is going live.  Cheers!

2012-04-04 3:56 PM

User image

NH

That's impressive at any time, 7 months post surgery is crazy.  Great work. 

Now I have inspiration to get my act together and add pullups to my routine.  I've been putting it off but the gauntlet is down!

2012-04-04 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN

Very impressive!  But now I really think you need to change your profile pic too because you look nothing like your current pic. 

2012-04-05 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4129153

User image

Bronze member

If I do a 40 mile ride, but I stop at the bike shop and browse halfway through, is that two 20 mile rides?  In other words, does the long ride need to be non-stop?

2012-04-05 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4132995

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
cycletherapy - 2012-04-05 6:20 PM

If I do a 40 mile ride, but I stop at the bike shop and browse halfway through, is that two 20 mile rides?  In other words, does the long ride need to be non-stop?

David, come over to the new group!  Look for the Asphalt Junkies. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dirk's Junkie group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 68