BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-03-15 6:48 PM
in reply to: #4098338

User image

Regular
Denver
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
gator22 - 2012-03-15 6:43 PM
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-15 1:44 PM
gator22 - 2012-03-15 1:30 PMHope it gets better fast Ken. Carla the weather here has been great too and I am more sluggish than ever about getting out terrible isn't it? I was traveling to NYC the last two days for work and I am exhausted. I don't know how people do it!
Gator - We have to do this! Tell me when your next scheduled ride is. I am NOT all that excited about it believe me!
I forced myself to ride this afternoon Carla. I am better for it!
Gator - Nice work!

2012-03-15 8:24 PM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Alright guys and gals I hit the outdoors after work for my first bike ride other than in the trainer..The first link was getting after it, then the second was nice and easy with a couple of sprints..I was very pleased at my efforts tonight..Man it felt good to be outside..

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/158308441#.T2KUy21FhzU.link

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/158308449#.T2KV8KYtHFw.link

Looking forward to the weekend..

2012-03-16 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4097522

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-15 10:52 AM
kenj - 2012-03-15 4:37 AM

Morning all!  Almost the weekend!

60 Mile Bike (Max Distance) effort on tap for Saturday, wish me luck! Need to ride this sub 5 hours!

Carla, you will be very happy when you do this work out, I have never regretted a workout I did, only ones I didn't!

Edited by kenj 2012-03-16 11:55 AM
2012-03-16 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4097978

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Meulen - 2012-03-15 2:48 PM Somebody was asking me about my training schedule the other day and asked me that exact question "how do you do all that?" I told them it's kind of a catch 22. If I didn't do it, I wouldn't have the energy to do it. But since I do......I have energy to do it and then some!

I know exactly what you are saying Brian!

2012-03-16 11:56 AM
in reply to: #4098338

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

gator22 - 2012-03-15 7:43 PM
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-15 1:44 PM
gator22 - 2012-03-15 1:30 PMHope it gets better fast Ken. Carla the weather here has been great too and I am more sluggish than ever about getting out terrible isn't it? I was traveling to NYC the last two days for work and I am exhausted. I don't know how people do it!
Gator - We have to do this! Tell me when your next scheduled ride is. I am NOT all that excited about it believe me!
I forced myself to ride this afternoon Carla. I am better for it!

Great job Kirk! Way to get it done, it was a great day for it too!

2012-03-16 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4098475

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2012-03-15 9:24 PM

Alright guys and gals I hit the outdoors after work for my first bike ride other than in the trainer..The first link was getting after it, then the second was nice and easy with a couple of sprints..I was very pleased at my efforts tonight..Man it felt good to be outside..

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/158308441#.T2KUy21FhzU.link

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/158308449#.T2KV8KYtHFw.link

Looking forward to the weekend..

Nice work on the bike Tim!  I hope your training goes well this weekend!!

2012-03-16 11:59 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I beleive it was Wesley who said he was racing this weekend, good luck and have fun with the race Wesley, let us know how you do!

I have a 5 mile St Patty's day race tomorrow, should be fun and the weather is nice!

Anyone else racing?

TGIF!!

2012-03-16 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4099449

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kenj - 2012-03-16 11:59 AM

I beleive it was Wesley who said he was racing this weekend, good luck and have fun with the race Wesley, let us know how you do!

I have a 5 mile St Patty's day race tomorrow, should be fun and the weather is nice!

Anyone else racing?

TGIF!!

no races for me till May. It looks like it's going to be a nice weekend though here, so I'm going to take the opportunity to get outside a little. If the trails dry up I might be able to do some mountain biking!
2012-03-16 1:52 PM

New user
Walterboro
I have the Parris Island Sprint tomorrow.  The first race of my second season.  Looking for some big improvements over last year.  Although, I don't think that will be very hard.  Left calf has been sore this week so I've backed off my training a little and we'll see what happens tomorrow.
2012-03-16 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4099686

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Wesley12 - 2012-03-16 2:52 PM I have the Parris Island Sprint tomorrow.  The first race of my second season.  Looking for some big improvements over last year.  Although, I don't think that will be very hard.  Left calf has been sore this week so I've backed off my training a little and we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Good luck tomorrow..Keep us posted on how you do..

2012-03-16 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4097083

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
abake - 2012-03-15 5:41 AM
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-14 8:26 AM
Meulen - 2012-03-14 8:17 AM
CarlaLThompson - 2012-03-14 8:06 AM
kenj - 2012-03-14 5:38 AM

So how is everyones training going?  Some of our southern friends have their tri season starting. 

I have a unique situation... weather in Colorado has been STELLAR, yet I am struggling with all of my might to transition my workouts from "Inside:  Trainer/Treadmill" to "Outside".

Everyone is so very excited, happy and relieved, and I have felt stressed out to the absolute MAXIMUM.

After my coach just short of coming over to my house and taking my bike off the trainer I have managed to locate my outdoor gear.  I did buy a new helmet and glasses as incentive to ride outside.  It's just a huge hassel for me to do a 60 mile self supported ride where I'm far away from home right now. 

Help.

Find a group to ride with!! I don't find the need so much to ride outside, but I do like to. By the time I'm home I don't get much daylight anyway. You can get better workouts done indoors anyhow.

Ding, Ding, Ding ::: Bells sounding :::  My POINT exactly!!!  I, personally, do WAY better work inside... not to mention I have the comfort and warmth of my home!   I think it's important to ride outside because it is a different feel, but I don't feel like I need to force this. 

Agree with this, my indoor bike sessions are so much more focused. Outdoors in the group I fall into the social thing and sort of lollygag along.

I ALWAYS get better more efficient workouts on the bike indoors.  Trainer or Computrainer, with a power meter you can target so much that you can't do outdoors due to trying not to get hit.  

Saturday is hard bike indoors and Sunday is a long easy ride outdoors with a swim lesson following.  Swim lessons have been absolutely fantastic.  I run Saturday a bit.  I've been running really well lately. - faster than ever with the run club on Wednesday night for a 10K.  Nice form.     Weight loss continues with Paleo.  Strength exercises with kettlebells have been great.  No complaints.

2012-03-17 4:27 PM

New user
Walterboro

Got the first race of the season out of the way.  It was a PR of 1:11:25.  Not real sure if all the distances were correct but I'll take it anyway.  I think the bike may have been a bit long and the run a bit short.  They had some issues with the swim start.  It was a time trial start and everyone was assigned a start time.  After the first 50 it kind of became a free for all with people basically ignoring thier assigned times and just going when they got in line.  And natually the guys starting the swim did nothing to stop it.  So I'm very frustrated that I didn't get to see any of my swim improvement on the clock because of such bottlenecks in the pool.  But I wasn't the only one that had to deal with it so I guess I will quit fussing.  That was my first tri with a pool swim and I think I might just stick with OWS.  Other than that, I enjoyed the race and felt good.  I posted a race report but it is mainly me whinning about the swim.  So, I'll take some cheese with my whine and be happy for the PR.

2012-03-17 6:06 PM
in reply to: #4100839

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Wesley12 - 2012-03-17 5:27 PM

Got the first race of the season out of the way.  It was a PR of 1:11:25.  Not real sure if all the distances were correct but I'll take it anyway.  I think the bike may have been a bit long and the run a bit short.  They had some issues with the swim start.  It was a time trial start and everyone was assigned a start time.  After the first 50 it kind of became a free for all with people basically ignoring thier assigned times and just going when they got in line.  And natually the guys starting the swim did nothing to stop it.  So I'm very frustrated that I didn't get to see any of my swim improvement on the clock because of such bottlenecks in the pool.  But I wasn't the only one that had to deal with it so I guess I will quit fussing.  That was my first tri with a pool swim and I think I might just stick with OWS.  Other than that, I enjoyed the race and felt good.  I posted a race report but it is mainly me whinning about the swim.  So, I'll take some cheese with my whine and be happy for the PR.

Congrats Wesley! Pool swims are a challenge, but good way to get an early race in? Great job today!
2012-03-17 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4100839

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
great job on the PR Wesley!  As Ken said pool swims are hard logistically - many of the tri's here are pool swims - I will be joining you with wine and cheese in a few months!
2012-03-18 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4099449

User image

Master
Sin City
kenj - 2012-03-16 9:59 AM

Anyone else racing?

TGIF!!

Looks like all the nice weather from Las Vegas traveled elsewhere!  It was rainy, cold and windy yesterday for St. Patty's day....enough for me to nudge my fiance to start a fire. That was pretty nice when I came home from Ladies' night at the bike shop (lots of goodies and great information!) and saw the fire roaring in the fireplace. Last fire of the year probably.  I know it's a little unusual for fireplaces in Vegas, but it does get a little cold, and a little fire just warms up the room nicely. It's nice and cold today.  

Joined LV Tri Club, and will be doing most, if not, all of their triathlon low-key races (mini-Sprint...kind of. 500m/10-12mi/5k) since it's free and it'll help me with transitions, they have OWS every week in the evenings starting in May, and lots of meetups.    So that's really awesome to be in the club now. :-)

Speaking of that...I signed up for low-key 5k race today. :-D   I'm not "racing" per-se, just doing the run as a training run. I don't have to do the full 5k if I don't want to. We'll see how it goes. 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

2012-03-19 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4101442

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CyborgQueen - 2012-03-18 12:06 PM
kenj - 2012-03-16 9:59 AM

Anyone else racing?

TGIF!!

Looks like all the nice weather from Las Vegas traveled elsewhere!  It was rainy, cold and windy yesterday for St. Patty's day....enough for me to nudge my fiance to start a fire. That was pretty nice when I came home from Ladies' night at the bike shop (lots of goodies and great information!) and saw the fire roaring in the fireplace. Last fire of the year probably.  I know it's a little unusual for fireplaces in Vegas, but it does get a little cold, and a little fire just warms up the room nicely. It's nice and cold today.  

Joined LV Tri Club, and will be doing most, if not, all of their triathlon low-key races (mini-Sprint...kind of. 500m/10-12mi/5k) since it's free and it'll help me with transitions, they have OWS every week in the evenings starting in May, and lots of meetups.    So that's really awesome to be in the club now. :-)

Speaking of that...I signed up for low-key 5k race today. :-D   I'm not "racing" per-se, just doing the run as a training run. I don't have to do the full 5k if I don't want to. We'll see how it goes. 

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Your not kidding about the weather DJ, flew out to San Diego yesterday and wow, it was 20 degrees warmer at home! Usually when I come out here this time of year it is the opposite!  Oh well, supposed to be working anyways.

Good luck with the 5K DJ, always fun to do those! 

Despite the weather, at least the rain and wind ended, I was able to get up and get a run in this morning before heading to the office. 

Hows everyone else doing today? 

2012-03-19 11:44 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Also DJ, keep us updated on how you like being it the tri club.  We have one, and it is supposed to be a good one from what I hear, but it is also basede 20 - 30 miles away so I haven't tried any of their workouts or considered joining them.
2012-03-19 11:56 AM
in reply to: #4102964

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

kenj - 2012-03-19 11:44 AM Also DJ, keep us updated on how you like being it the tri club.  We have one, and it is supposed to be a good one from what I hear, but it is also basede 20 - 30 miles away so I haven't tried any of their workouts or considered joining them.

x2 - we have a tri club in Anchorage, but the workouts are usually pretty far as well (and in the evening).

Week is off to a good start.  Got in a 1/2 hour trainer ride and weights yesterday and have PT and aquajogging/swimming on the radar for today.    Weather has been really pretty (didn't get dark until 9pm last night) but cold - makes me itch to get outside!

2012-03-19 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4102982

User image

Expert
My turn to complain about my injury. My back is killing me. I usually will have a bad week here and there but I have had about six weeks of trouble. I did break my back so I should not complain too much as I still work. But I want to RUN! Biking and swimming are ok and I have gone really light with the weights.nmy logged runs are just walks. Have to be patient....
2012-03-19 12:37 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Sorry about the back Gator. Hope it feels better for you soon.

Great weekend here. Sunny and 80 degrees in Chicagoland. It was a bit windy, as usaul!

Saturday- Masters swim 3000 meters. Timed a 7:20 400, new PR for me!
- After swim, went for a 40 mile ride outside. More of a chit chat ride but fun!
- out to dinner with friends in the evening.
Sunday -15 mile run in the morning
-the wife and I got massages in the afternoon and spent the rest of the day working on my Race bike and doing some projects around the house
2012-03-19 1:10 PM

User image

Regular

Been away for a while.  I traveled for work for a week and held up my training fairly well, at least for the first part of the week.  My diet, however, went to crap and I'm still feeling the effects of that.  Austin, TX is a fun city, and a great running city - I probably saw over 100 people running before sunrise every day that I ran at the downtown park.

I actually let me training fall off the most when I got back home.  Work has been crazy and I have wanted to spend a lot of time with my family.  I got out a few days, but wasn't as focused as I need to be.  Getting back on track now though.

Coming up, I have a work trip to Europe that is really going to interfere with my training.  I am going to Athens, however, so I'm going to try to run at least part of the original historic course.  My hope is to get as much running in as possible and really get on my plan when I get back.  I should be home for a while after this trip.

2012-03-19 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4103037

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

gator22 - 2012-03-19 1:21 PM My turn to complain about my injury. My back is killing me. I usually will have a bad week here and there but I have had about six weeks of trouble. I did break my back so I should not complain too much as I still work. But I want to RUN! Biking and swimming are ok and I have gone really light with the weights.nmy logged runs are just walks. Have to be patient....

Wish I had an answer on what to do for your back Kirk. 

2012-03-19 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4103079

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Meulen - 2012-03-19 1:37 PM Sorry about the back Gator. Hope it feels better for you soon. Great weekend here. Sunny and 80 degrees in Chicagoland. It was a bit windy, as usaul! Saturday- Masters swim 3000 meters. Timed a 7:20 400, new PR for me! - After swim, went for a 40 mile ride outside. More of a chit chat ride but fun! - out to dinner with friends in the evening. Sunday -15 mile run in the morning -the wife and I got massages in the afternoon and spent the rest of the day working on my Race bike and doing some projects around the house

Sounds like you had a great weekend!  That was the frustrating part about traveling yesterday and knowing I was missing an opportunity to ride outside.  Too expensive any more though to fly out here and not get started first thing Monday morning.

Congrats on the swim PR!!

2012-03-19 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4103160

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
russrisher - 2012-03-19 2:10 PM

Been away for a while.  I traveled for work for a week and held up my training fairly well, at least for the first part of the week.  My diet, however, went to crap and I'm still feeling the effects of that.  Austin, TX is a fun city, and a great running city - I probably saw over 100 people running before sunrise every day that I ran at the downtown park.

I actually let me training fall off the most when I got back home.  Work has been crazy and I have wanted to spend a lot of time with my family.  I got out a few days, but wasn't as focused as I need to be.  Getting back on track now though.

Coming up, I have a work trip to Europe that is really going to interfere with my training.  I am going to Athens, however, so I'm going to try to run at least part of the original historic course.  My hope is to get as much running in as possible and really get on my plan when I get back.  I should be home for a while after this trip.

Good to hear from you Russ!

Best way to see the sights when travelling is to go for a run!!  That would be neat to run part of the original course!!

2012-03-19 6:32 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I RAN TODAY!!!!!

for 3 minutes at the PT's Office - she had me run using a midfoot strike vs. my normal heel strike (which is very painful when I run) and the new gait really didn't bother the heel - if I don't feel pain tonight or tomorrow I will try again on Thurday and slowly increase from there. The midfoot strike definately felt different like running on my tippy toes- hadn't planned on changing my running style, but if it works I am all for it. I will keep everyone posted!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72