Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2011-04-10 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!

Thanks for the votes of confidence!  My run was still not on the planned pace but much better than last week.  I do think I could have pushed harder to hit the pace but I was afraid of having the same run as last week.  I held back more than I should have and I don't plan to do that next week.  17 miles on Saturday now!

2011-04-10 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
I think the plan looks good!  Like Tim said, build the run slowly since you are coming off an injury.  I don't know if I would go from 6-10 miles week 1 to 2.  I would see how I felt after the first week and maybe just go to 8 miles.  I am so excited to follow your training! 
2011-04-13 9:50 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Welp, my first run yesterday is in the books.  I was SO SLOW, and I had to keep telling myself that was okay!  Very little pain in my knee, and it went away when I just relaxed and stopped thinking about it.  I avoided running the hills, too.  Nadie was so happy that her running partner was back!  She saw me come out of the bedroom with my running clothes on and just went nuts!  Overall, it felt good.  But my shins are super sore today, so I'm wearing my compression sleeves.  The last thing I need right now is for my shin splints to flare up, too!

How is everybody else doing this week?

2011-04-13 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3444163

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

That's great news Erica!  It's amazing how dogs know what certain clothing means.  I have a jacket just for when I walk the dog and he goes crazy when I bring it out, too cute.  Hopefully you are now back on track and your training resumes as though it never happened:-)

I'm pretty much back on track too, had a great run on Sunday, felt good throughout doing 18KM and had energy to do more at the end.  Went out and did a slow 10K last night with a few friends(GI issues kicked up badly halfway through)  despite that, my legs felt good after and good today as well.  I have a 36KM run on the schedule for saturday morning, the last looooong run before the marathon on May 1st.  I'm doing 2 18KM loops.  Going to need all the mental strength I can muster for this one!

SoccerGK - 2011-04-13 7:50 AM

Welp, my first run yesterday is in the books.  I was SO SLOW, and I had to keep telling myself that was okay!  Very little pain in my knee, and it went away when I just relaxed and stopped thinking about it.  I avoided running the hills, too.  Nadie was so happy that her running partner was back!  She saw me come out of the bedroom with my running clothes on and just went nuts!  Overall, it felt good.  But my shins are super sore today, so I'm wearing my compression sleeves.  The last thing I need right now is for my shin splints to flare up, too!

How is everybody else doing this week?

Edited by corstan 2011-04-13 10:43 AM
2011-04-14 6:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around all that much... My life is crazy busy right now, and I am just trying to keep my head above water! 

So, in that vein, I haven't made time to train much these days I am so busy with work and my internship that I don't want to get up at 4:30 in the morning to get a good training session in... I need some motivation! You guys have been great whenever I've needed it in the past, so your help would be great right now! Would someone please remind me that I'm doing a half marathon in 4.5 months, and that I should start thinking about that? Thanks, I'd appreciate it...

2011-04-14 9:16 AM
in reply to: #3445859

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

I find the best way to get motivated is to say it out loud to someone.  Do it here and ask us to check in on whether you have done it or not, because sometimes it is easier to keep commitments we make to others than to ourselves. 

Example:  I WILL run, swim, bike...x distance/time TODAY! 

Life is busy and sometimes super busy and we get a little off track, but you are doing the right thing in asking for support to get back on track, so I trust that you will. 

So now tell us what you are going to do for training, today...tomorrow, the next day until you get into the rythm again!  YOU CAN DO IT!

LockOut - 2011-04-14 4:25 AM

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around all that much... My life is crazy busy right now, and I am just trying to keep my head above water! 

So, in that vein, I haven't made time to train much these days I am so busy with work and my internship that I don't want to get up at 4:30 in the morning to get a good training session in... I need some motivation! You guys have been great whenever I've needed it in the past, so your help would be great right now! Would someone please remind me that I'm doing a half marathon in 4.5 months, and that I should start thinking about that? Thanks, I'd appreciate it...

2011-04-14 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3445859

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
LockOut - 2011-04-14 6:25 AM

Psssst.  Hey, I have a secret to tell you...

YOU'RE RUNNING A HALF IRONMAN IN 4.5 MONTHS!  Get your heinie in gear!  Cool

But seriously, I know it's super hard to be busy and get training in, but just remember how GREAT you feel when you do!  We know you can do it!  I'll be hopefully training for my first half-marathon by your race, so you have to do it so that I stay motivated, too!  Ha!

Edited by SoccerGK 2011-04-14 1:48 PM
2011-04-14 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

PS - My second run is in the books.  Felt good, especially once I picked up the pace a bit because it actually put less stress on my knee!  Gosh, I just hope I can keep this going though because I'm started to get super panicked about the HIM in July.  Ahhhh!!!!  Are you guys sure I can do that?  I think I'm crazy.

Oddly enough, my knee felt stiff on the bike though.  Haven't figured that one out yet.

2011-04-14 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC

I'm getting sick, too... so tonight and tomorrow, not much will be going on. Hopefully, though, Saturday and/or Sunday, I can convince my gf to go for a run with me...

And I kinda got that backwards... I'm doing a half IRONMAN in 4.5 months... I'm doing a half marathon in... oh, 6 weeks... 

2011-04-14 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

Nothing has gone as planned this week for me but that is to be expected.  I was up at 4:30 and hitting the lovely treadmill at 4:50 this morning.  And then Logan had a couching fit, sneezed, and started crying.  So I snuggled on the couch with him for an hour instead of running.  Ugh...now I have to run tonight!  THat also means I won't be running in the morning and I can't run after work because of family stuff.  So....I will be stopping at home tomorrow after I see a client to get my run in.  Just what I should be doing on April 15th!!

And I have 17 miles on Saturday.  That might be moved to Sunday depending on weather but I am hoping to get it in on Saturday.  As of right now, it is 20% chance of rain through 10am and then the chance starts to increase.  I can handle that.

2011-04-14 4:00 PM

User image

Expert

Hey guys - Just checkin in to see how everyone is doing.  Life has been busy lately and it is great to see you guys are all still in this keeping in touch. 

I managed to stay injury free during my marathon training so I am pretty happy about that.  We will see what the race holds.

I found out a few weeks ago that I am gonna be a dad again - no. 3 on the way in October.  Glad I didn't plan any Fall races -yet haha

Sounds like everyone is doing good.  Sandra are you ready for the marathon? 

2011-04-14 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3447352

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Good to hear from you T2, and congrats on #3, was it planned or a surprise?  Good on you for staying injury free during the marathon training, I think of the 10+ people I knew were training there are only 3 who had no injury, 4 had varying minor training setbacks and a couple are completely out with stress fractures.  Marathon training is tough and my admiration for all those that are able to do the training and complete the race, no mater how fast or slow has increased 10-fold. 

I think I'll be better able to answer your question after my 36KM run this saturday morning...it will be my final long run before the marathon and I have it set up as 2 18KM loops and I have different friends coming out for each loop to help me through the mental struggle.

I'll be doing some running in Mexico, but doubtful it will be anything over 10KM.

tmoran80 - 2011-04-14 2:00 PM

Hey guys - Just checkin in to see how everyone is doing.  Life has been busy lately and it is great to see you guys are all still in this keeping in touch. 

I managed to stay injury free during my marathon training so I am pretty happy about that.  We will see what the race holds.

I found out a few weeks ago that I am gonna be a dad again - no. 3 on the way in October.  Glad I didn't plan any Fall races -yet haha

Sounds like everyone is doing good.  Sandra are you ready for the marathon? 

2011-04-14 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Please tell me it is a bad idea to register for a 10k a week after MCM!!  A few new runners in my mom's group want me to do this run with them.  I know it is a bad idea but I need someone else to tell me that!
2011-04-15 5:28 PM
in reply to: #3447411

User image

Expert

Sandra -Good luck tomorrow on your run.  Overall how has your training going?  Is your leg holding up?  I missed my final 24 mile trainnig run last weekend but I just didn't have the heart for it plus I was out of town - but I did get a 23 in the week before so i should be ok.  Just a little longer taper than I planned.

corstan - 2011-04-14 4:42 PM

I think I'll be better able to answer your question after my 36KM run this saturday morning...it will be my final long run before the marathon and I have it set up as 2 18KM loops and I have different friends coming out for each loop to help me through the mental struggle.

I'll be doing some running in Mexico, but doubtful it will be anything over 10KM.

2011-04-16 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3447732

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Mrschach - 2011-04-14 8:32 PM Please tell me it is a bad idea to register for a 10k a week after MCM!!  A few new runners in my mom's group want me to do this run with them.  I know it is a bad idea but I need someone else to tell me that!

ACTUALLY, I don't think it's an awful idea, so long as you recovery that week, too.  I think 6 miles shouldn't be bad after a week.  But that's just me!

2011-04-16 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3450501

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

I agree, it is not a bad idea, it is all about how you plan on running it.  Trying for a PB, probably not going to happen, but run it as a fun I don't care about time, recovery run, it might be good.  In the end you need to listen to your body and if you have doubts, don't do it because you don't want to injure yourself  either.

SoccerGK - 2011-04-16 4:42 PM

Mrschach - 2011-04-14 8:32 PM Please tell me it is a bad idea to register for a 10k a week after MCM!!  A few new runners in my mom's group want me to do this run with them.  I know it is a bad idea but I need someone else to tell me that!

ACTUALLY, I don't think it's an awful idea, so long as you recovery that week, too.  I think 6 miles shouldn't be bad after a week.  But that's just me!

2011-04-16 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3449437

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Thanks T2, the run went well this morning, feeling confident about the race now.  Overall I think my training went well, the glitch in the middle with the lower leg, set my training back a little and my pacing overall is a little slower, but since this is my first I'm going to do my best to listen to my body and keep the mind strong.  A lot of my really long runs during my training were in horrible cold/wet/snowy weather, so it was nice to have a long run today that was in optimal running conditions, slightly overcast with a couple of brief showers and some sun too, not much wind to speak of even on the flats.

How are you feeling about your training? Ready for race day?

tmoran80 - 2011-04-15 3:28 PM

Sandra -Good luck tomorrow on your run.  Overall how has your training going?  Is your leg holding up?  I missed my final 24 mile trainnig run last weekend but I just didn't have the heart for it plus I was out of town - but I did get a 23 in the week before so i should be ok.  Just a little longer taper than I planned.

corstan - 2011-04-14 4:42 PM

2011-04-17 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
I am not doing too good this weekend.  I cut my 17 miles short yesterday because my achilles was sore for most of my run.  I ended up  little under 16 miles.  My left achilles is always sore after a long run but never really hurting.  Yesterday it hurt.  I was supposed to do an easy 25 minute run today and lasted 5 minutes.  I had terrible pains in my ankle and foot so I stopped to ice and take Alleve.  I have been icing off and on all morning and it is feeling better but still not going to run today.  Tomorrow is a rest day but I might try for an easy run if I am feeling good.  This is not what I want to be dealing with 4 weeks out!
2011-04-17 11:02 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

Meggan - Don't be afraid to take a couple days off.  Don't hurt yourself any more.  But don't doubt yourself on this marathon, I know you can do it if you rest up.

On an unrelated note, I'm starting to have mini panic attacks about my HIM in July.  I just don't feel ready for some odd reason, and not like I need to feel ready yet, but I'm just freaking out!  I don't feel like there's any cohesion in my training yet, so it's scary.  I KNOW I can do the distances separately, but I'm not so sure I can do them all together.  And now with my knee, I'm just not doing the best.  I told Ryan that maybe I should sell my HIM bib and just buy myself a sprint bib for the same race, that way I would only have to prepare for a sprint, I could use the extra money for another sprint this summer, I could watch Ryan on course for the HIM, and I wouldn't have to stress out my knee at all.  But I just don't know what to do.  Is this an unnecessary freak out?  I need help!

2011-04-18 6:20 AM
in reply to: #3451735

User image

Expert
South Jersey
SoccerGK - 2011-04-17 11:02 PM

Meggan - Don't be afraid to take a couple days off.  Don't hurt yourself any more.  But don't doubt yourself on this marathon, I know you can do it if you rest up.

On an unrelated note, I'm starting to have mini panic attacks about my HIM in July.  I just don't feel ready for some odd reason, and not like I need to feel ready yet, but I'm just freaking out!  I don't feel like there's any cohesion in my training yet, so it's scary.  I KNOW I can do the distances separately, but I'm not so sure I can do them all together.  And now with my knee, I'm just not doing the best.  I told Ryan that maybe I should sell my HIM bib and just buy myself a sprint bib for the same race, that way I would only have to prepare for a sprint, I could use the extra money for another sprint this summer, I could watch Ryan on course for the HIM, and I wouldn't have to stress out my knee at all.  But I just don't know what to do.  Is this an unnecessary freak out?  I need help!

It is unnecessary!!  Believe me!  I had the same one about MCM in October!  I told John I have until sometime in August to sell my bib and I know I can sell it.  He told me to stop.

And I think I can scratch everything I said about the achilles.  I don't think my achilles is acting up at all.  it was sore during the run but the issue is not my achilles now.  I remembered last night that I tripped over a piece of wood around mile 3.  I know I hit it with my left foot because I cursed out loud because it is my left achilles that gives me the problem.  The front part of my ankle is what hurts right now.  It definitely feels better this morning than last night.  I am going to ice it today off and on and see what happens. 

2011-04-18 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Hey guys, I am back.  Been on a stay-cation the last week and a half.  Didn't work out a whole lot, got in a few bikes, but I stayed pretty busy.  Got a lot of work done around the house and it felt like a workout at times.  It was a good mental break from work.  I partied a little too hard and ate a little too much at times, but I am back to being good again and did not get too far off track. 

Looks like you all have been busy and doing well, getting in a lot of good runs and workouts. 

Meggan, hope that ankle issue is nothing major and is from the tripping.  And good work getting that 16mi in.

Tim, good to see you training well and getting your last big long run in. 

Erica, I think it is just natural to think/panic about an HIM.  Just remind yourself it is 3 months or 13 weeks away!  Plenty of time to gauge where your training is at and build up even more.  You'll be just fine.  If you still haven't gotten the knee working right or the training just isn't there then maybe you can look at selling it later. 

Pete, hope you are over that sickness.  Now get out there and get your training on! 

Sandra, so when is that Mexico training?  Make sure and do plenty of margarita/pina colada curls! 

2011-04-18 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran

Sorry I have been MIA!  I have been logging my workouts, just been really busy.  I have two weeks until my MA+30 is done!!!  WoooHOOO! I have to turn my portfolio in the first week in May and then I will be done with my second masters.  I threw my sisters bachelorette party this weekend, so super busy with that. I cannot believe her wedding is in 5 weeks...CRAZY.  Besides that and work and our basement drama I am still managing to get at least 4 workouts in a week, which I feel is great right now.  I have two 5 K's coming up in May, May 7th and 15th.  Getting excited about those.

Glad to see and hear that everyone is doing good and continuing to plug on!!!

2011-04-18 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3452228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge

Mexico training starts tomorrow, plane leaves at 7am!  So I hope to be curling those margarita's/pina coladas by afternoon!  I won't be taking a computer along, so I will be awol for at least a week, possibly more as I will be moving into our new home a couple of days after my return and then there is the marathon that same weekend!  I will be doing some running and working out in Mexico, but keeping it light, just want to keep the legs sharp.

Erica and Meggan, don't let the jitters get this, you guys have been training hard the last year I know you can both accomplish what you set out to do as you are both strong women!!

Tim, glad to see you back and sounds like you had some good time off...it is well earned for sure! Now time to get some serious training in.

Back in 2 weeks!

2011-04-18 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Have a great vacation!!
2011-04-18 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Have a great vacation and enjoy your taper in Mexico!  I am very disappointed my taper for this marathon won't include a trip to NOLA!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103