2011-04-19 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3455610

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
DV 1 - 2011-04-19 7:20 PM

Sure is quiet today!

Switched up my nutrition this week to the powdered Ironman Perform. I'm trying to minimize the nutrition I have to take out on the course and figured the drink was a good place to start. I'll supplement with Hammer Gels and maybe a cliff bar!

Is that what they will be serving out on the course during your race? Or is this something you will carry with from the start? At my first HIM, they served regular Gatorade which left me feeling bloated especially on the run. I normally train on G2 which is so much lighter. Had I known Gatorade was going to be on the course I would have trained with it and changed to less Gatorade and more water during the race.

I also just carry Hammer gel. I carry 2 five ounce flasks that I mix three parts gel with two parts water and figure each is worth about an hour (300 calories). I top off my bike calories with sport drink. On the run I pick up two more flasks in T2 and will stick mostly drinking to water.

Edited by popsracer 2011-04-19 11:20 PM

2011-04-20 6:13 AM
in reply to: #3455885

User image

Expert
, Michigan
popsracer - 2011-04-20 12:19 AM
DV 1 - 2011-04-19 7:20 PM

Sure is quiet today!

Switched up my nutrition this week to the powdered Ironman Perform. I'm trying to minimize the nutrition I have to take out on the course and figured the drink was a good place to start. I'll supplement with Hammer Gels and maybe a cliff bar!

Is that what they will be serving out on the course during your race? Or is this something you will carry with from the start? At my first HIM, they served regular Gatorade which left me feeling bloated especially on the run. I normally train on G2 which is so much lighter. Had I known Gatorade was going to be on the course I would have trained with it and changed to less Gatorade and more water during the race. I also just carry Hammer gel. I carry 2 five ounce flasks that I mix three parts gel with two parts water and figure each is worth about an hour (300 calories). I top off my bike calories with sport drink. On the run I pick up two more flasks in T2 and will stick mostly drinking to water.

According to the website and race reports from last year, the Steelhead uses the Ironman Perform now as their on course drink. There is a difference as they use the premixed liquid bottles and I'm using the powder, and to some this is a big difference. I'll experiment with the liquid a bit but am more interested in the caloric blend at this point.

Similar plan for me with the gels in the flasks. You have to mix the stuff with a little water or it's impossible to get out of the flasks.

2011-04-20 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
Congrats to arkmann and JG for finishing your races and showing that many times in these events the real key comes down to mental/soul toughness!
2011-04-20 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3450091

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!

starrlinda - 2011-04-16 12:12 PM My name is Linda.  I am doing my first HIM in October (Poconos).  I am going to start the Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan the first week of May.  I am only in my second year of doing triathlons, but I have been a runner for about 5 years.  I bought a new bike last week (Scott Contessa CR1 Team).  I love it, but I have never had clip-on shoes and pedals before.  It is quite a challenge, but I am getting better.  I would love to join and follow this forum for any tips I can get.  Good luck to those of you racing this weekend!

Welcome! and congrats on your new toy . You'll get used to the pedals. Although, even after doing so, we all fall once in a while.  Just make sure to grab on the handle bars for your life if you are about to fall and don't have anything around you to hold on. The instinct is to use the hand to stop the fall and, hence, can lead to a broken wrist. Also, make sure to keep your cleats clean/free of debris and with lube. Happy riding! Smile

2011-04-21 7:42 AM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

Taking the day off today ...... FROM WORK!!!!

Short swim/bike brick planned after lunch and may play some B-ball tonight!

Yesterday I had a successful long run 1:15.

Anybody racing this weekend so I can get excited?

2011-04-21 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3458161

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
DV 1 - 2011-04-21 7:42 AM

Good idea. I am thinking of just taking a day off work soon to relax, get my workouts in, and just catch my breath a bit.

Today is my long run. It's cold and rainy out today but hoping it improves later this afternoon.

I am racing this weekend but just a 5k. It is a milestone for me though because a year ago it was the first race I ran after going through serious illness. I was about a month out from intense chemotherapy and I just wanted to hobble through this little race to prove I was back. Through the grace of God it's been an amazing year of rebuilding and I'm shooting to be in the top 10% Saturday.

2011-04-21 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

A milestone race for sure!!! It will be a great day.

Long runs are mental. Master the mind today despite the crappy weather.

2011-04-21 2:43 PM

User image

Bronze member

Steve, good luck in your race. It is amazing how far you have come!

I had my 1000 TT today. I was pumped and ready for this today. I even wore a watch so I could check my time against the pace clock. I worked my tail off on that set, nailed my flip turns (until the very end), kept working harder throughout the set. My lungs, legs and abs were burning. I even started to feel a little sick but I kept working harder. I had a goal to be under 16:00 min. My last 1000 TT I had a chest cold and couldn't flip turn at all. My time that day was 16:15. Got to the end and stopped my watch, I was so afraid to look. Time said - 15:25.

Now of course I think I missed a lap . LOL - I'm never satisfied! I don't really think I could have made up 5 seconds per 100. Oh well, at least I know I did my absolute best and left it all in the pool. I was hanging on the lane line gasping for air when that set was over!

2011-04-21 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
That's a fantastic TT. Congrats on a successful swim!
2011-04-21 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3459388

User image

Regular
Beaumont, Alberta
Holy Smokes - that's one helluva swim!!! Way to go!!
2011-04-21 6:44 PM

User image

Regular
Beaumont, Alberta

Popsracer

Definitely a life milestone!! Well done buddy and let us know how it went! Good luck

2011-04-21 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3450465

User image

Los Angeles
arkmann - 2011-04-16 4:10 PM

Yep, I was right, I should have listened to my body and probably DNS the race.  I thought I had a pretty good swim.  I think I did it in 37min or maybe 40, I'm not sure.  The bike was brutal....  Here's the bike route: 

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/e3eda29fdec84b84aa1ecd59f64a083f

I think I did ok on the bike.  I think I did it in 3-3:15 hours.  I didn't keep track.  I took it easy on the last 6 miles of the bike since I wanted to save energy for the run.

Then it was time for the run.  During the T2, I was already feeling that I will have a very hard time on the run.  Boy was I right...  The first 2 miles were manageable.  I think the saved energy from the bike helped.  Then mile 3 came...  Mile 3 to mile 11 was on an a trail on the side of the mountain.  The terrain was made of gravel and dirt...  Man that was a pain in the butt to finish.  My whole body is pretty much aching from it.  During the run, I had a recurring side stitch, then there was the ankle ache, then the knee ache, then the lower back ache, then the shoulder ache.  I also developed blisters on my toes.  I am not proud to say this but I was reduced to run-walking and majority of it was walking. I was taking in nutrition at each aid station hoping that my body can recover from the fatigue but it didn't happen.

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/1c9eba035fea454cbac7752d8952348a

Although I had the hardest race I've ever done, I'm glad I did it.  I found out what I was capable of mentally.  I already know that I have a strong mind but today, I pushed myself to the absolute limit.  I told myself that I would finish in 6.5 hours or more and MORE happened.  I finished close to 7 hours, something like 6:55 hours I think.  Regrets?  Not really.  The race is done and I did it.  I wish I listened to myself when I was having second thoughts on doing the race. 

My goals for the race changed today.  My first goal was to finish the race in one piece.  No crashes, bruises, and stitches.  I did that by being extra careful on the bike.  When I started the run, I knew I knew I can still do 6 hours but then my body just caved in.  I wanted to finish in 6.5 hours but that was moot since my body didn't agree.  At midpoint of the run, I just wanted to finish and take in the surroundings and try to have fun.  The fun part didn't really happen.  I know I am capable of a 6 hour HIM or even a 5.5 (far fetched) but circumstances like 2 bike crashes in the past 6 weeks didn't help.  Oh well, you live and you learn.

Never do a super challenging first HIM!!!

F#$*@ that!  YOU did it.  You went into the belly of the beast and came out the other side.  Maybe it wasn't the prettiest way to run your first HIM but think how easy the rest of them will be!

2011-04-22 12:07 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Trigal, you must have webbed feet. That is an amazingly fast 1000. I just do not see how one can swim that fast that far. How much would you say is form versus strength?
2011-04-22 12:27 PM

User image

Expert

Congrats on such amazing achievements recently, everybody! Geez, I'm outta contact for a few days and suddenly everyone's hitting smoking swim TTs, acing a tough HIM, doing a milestone 5K... what a fabulously impressive group! (Just one of many reasons I love BT.)

Forgive what might seem like a silly question: I'm finishing week 17 (counting backwards) of the plan and was wondering: are we supposed to be taking any rest between swim intervals generally? I looked but couldn't see any listed, so have just been doing them straight through. Is that what I'm supposed to do? Just thought I'd check before I left the "base" segment and the workouts started building!

Thanks, everyone. Have a great weekend, and good luck to all racers this weekend!

2011-04-22 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

As I spend the day doing odds and ends, it's my recovery day, I feel somewhat guilty for not having an activity. It's silly, but I feel like a couch bum knowing that I won't be working up a sweat today unless I glisten during my P90X stretch routine. I've realized, however, that these days of recovery are the mental and physical break that helps motivate max effort during days of training.

End of week 4 is tomorrow with the last of my, "get out and enjoy the bike ride" rides. Hills and intervals are in my future!

2011-04-22 1:35 PM

Funny how things fall apart. Week 13, recovery. Workouts kind of scattered but visitors in so no swim yesterday. Friend went riding so "60 minutes easy" became 3:30 medium effort. Longest ride of my life though and I loved it. Also, do not usually ride with someone so loved it! 54 miles in there. Swim and Run won't happen on weekend though due to work and Easter. Oh well, start week 12 with renewed enthusiasm.

Happy training everyone!

Shawn

2011-04-22 1:40 PM

Subject: Swim Stroke

I would like to start something here to get input.

If you could use one word of advice to give to someone to help them shorten their stroke count in a 25 metre pool, what would it be?

My stroke count is around 24! I here it should be around 18. I have been experimenting with TI and do some kind of a mix of that and traditional swimming. I try to be streamlined, pull hard, little kicking (2 beat kick), etc but cannot get stroke count down.

Sooo, one word of advice? Is there such a thing? ;-)

2011-04-22 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3459244

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
popsracer - 2011-04-21 1:53 PM
DV 1 - 2011-04-21 7:42 AM

Good idea. I am thinking of just taking a day off work soon to relax, get my workouts in, and just catch my breath a bit. Today is my long run. It's cold and rainy out today but hoping it improves later this afternoon. I am racing this weekend but just a 5k. It is a milestone for me though because a year ago it was the first race I ran after going through serious illness. I was about a month out from intense chemotherapy and I just wanted to hobble through this little race to prove I was back. Through the grace of God it's been an amazing year of rebuilding and I'm shooting to be in the top 10% Saturday.

Have a GREAT weekend!

2011-04-22 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3461174

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Swim Stroke
ShawnR - 2011-04-22 1:40 PM

If you could use one word of advice to give to someone to help them shorten their stroke count in a 25 metre pool, what would it be?

My stroke count is around 24! I here it should be around 18. I have been experimenting with TI and do some kind of a mix of that and traditional swimming. I try to be streamlined, pull hard, little kicking (2 beat kick), etc but cannot get stroke count down.

GLIDE. Practice as your hand enters the water keep it out there for a second longer before pulling. I am certainly no swim technique expert but I have been taught that the rotation of a swim stroke differs from running and cycling in that for running/cycling the revolution is continuously circular and even through its phase. Swimming is not so. You do not swim like a windmill but have a slight hesitation in that glide phase. This glide phase also promotes a more relaxed recovery of the other arm as it is brought up and out and over. Anybody feel free to validate or contradict what I've been taught.
2011-04-22 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3461220

Master
, California

I'll add on the swimming topic.  You may hear this a lot - swim "downhill".

In other words, think about your chest pushing downwards and only turning your head the minimum needed to breathe.  Keep your hips and feet gliding on the surface.

I view TI as a good path to more efficient swimming but not necessarily faster.  I think it places an overly high emphasis on stroke count.  Gliding is important but there's a fine line between not enough and too much.

Try this: count your strokes for a lap just swimming normally and relaxed.  Now do the same thing with a pull buoy.  Most people who are not "fish" will get a lower count with the pull buoy because it's holding them closer to level with the water surface.

Improving your body position in the water will help a great deal with stroke efficiency.  As you improve, you can work on additional things that reduce drag (hand / arm position, pointing your toes, etc).

Edited by spudone 2011-04-22 2:46 PM
2011-04-22 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3461174

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
ShawnR - 2011-04-22 1:40 PM

I wouldn't worry as much about your stroke count as how efficient you are moving in the water. The other suggestions posted so far are all right on the mark. I started with TI with no swim background so with a blank slate it was easy for me TI incorporate some of their teachings into my routine. There is a lot within TI which is consistent with what traditional swim coaches are using today - press the lungs, high elbows, vertical entry, 2bk, etc. The most important thing I found in improving my stroke is finding balance. When I am balanced my stroke feels easier and I find that I move faster because I am ultimately more efficient. In terms of speed, finding that balance has also allowed me to focus more on driving my stroke from the core by rotating the hips. As Pops pointed out, a streamlined glide will make you go farther with fewer strokes. Add in a powerful hip drive and your stroke efficiency will dramatically improve. Use TI skate drills for balance and the switch drills for honing in on hip drive.PS - My average strokes per length is 17-19 per length.

2011-04-22 6:43 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Joe, can you elaborate on a "powerful hip drive"? What do you focus on specifically to initiate that?
2011-04-22 8:05 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan

One word - Form

More than one word - all of the above. The advice given already is spot on. I'll add that the more powerfully you try to pull, the more likely you'll be to mess up your form. It's not about power at this point.

Focus on balance. Breathe bilaterally. Don't lift you head to much. Press the chest. Keep elbows high during recovery and pull. Don't crossover on entry or pull. Reach from the hip, not the arm. Drive stroke with hips. Don't kick too much.

If you're comitted to a better, stronger pull, get some paddles. Not to build strength, but to find where in your pull you lose power. The paddles exagerate everything you do right.....and wrong.

2011-04-23 6:52 AM
in reply to: #3461634

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

popsracer - 2011-04-22 6:43 PM Joe, can you elaborate on a "powerful hip drive"? What do you focus on specifically to initiate that?

Pops:

Coach Suzanne (adventurebear) explains the connection between balance and hip drive in the following thread (better than I could):

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=244348&start=1

I like the idea of connecting the 2bk with my arm entry and it is something I try to focus on during my practice.

2011-04-23 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI

Hello,

Hope I'm not infringing on this group because technically I didn't join, but I do look at the forum from time to time.  I just had a question regarding the BT beginner HIM plan for those of you that may be familiar with it.  Ocassionally the plan calls for a swim workout to include "kick".  My plan recently called for 4x300 (300 easy, 300 kick, 300 easy, 300 pull).  I understand everything, but am uncertain of the 300 kick.  Does that mean I should be doing 300 yards of straight kick with a kickboard?  It just seems like a ton of kickboard work and I have to admit I am not very good at that, so my 300 would take me forever.  I've just never seen a workout with that much straight kick.  Am I understanding that correctly?? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150