Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-01-27 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1863127

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Subject: RE: Susie's Tri Girls - Closed

Patricia, I'm sorry you little guy has to have surgery, but at least you know what the problem is and that there is a solution.  I know what you mean about the hubby. My husband moans and complains about spending money, but if it came down to having to put the dog down or spend the money, he too would spend the money.  Toby is our baby ( now that the human babies are grown up).  I hope the surgery goes well and your pup is feeling better soon.  (PS. I think Picasso is a very cute name)

Susie

I did end up going to the SES class.  Took some Motrin prior.  I did have pain, but I worked with the leader of the class who is a chiropractor.  He believes it is orginating from my hamstring, which is very tight.  Gave me some excersices to do and since I didn't have time to ice after class, at his suggestion, I went and soaked my legs in the lap pool for about 5 minutes.

Edited by suzimmer 2009-01-27 12:13 PM

2009-01-27 7:04 PM

User image

New user
Northern California

Hi ladies,

I've been "absent" a few days....my husband had a very minor accident at work last week (he's a crane operator), but according to their new safety program, they had to suspend him without pay for 3 days. Soooo, those 3 days were this week, and we figured it was stupid to sit around the house, so we took the kids out of school and loaded up the travel trailer and went to Santa Cruz/ Monterey for a couple days. We left Sunday, and just got back (Tues eve).  I've never had better weather than we did this weekend! Usually you can plan on some fog and/or wind, but we had sunny skies, even though it was still a bit brisk. I ate my way through Cannery Row- so now there are probably several thousand calories to work off! Oh well, it was FUN, and good for the soul!

Came home today and ran 4.02 miles. I was so happy! Last Saturday I did 4 min run/2 or 3 min walk. Today I was able to do to 5 min run/2 min walk the whole time. Well, it's still not running, but you know what I mean! My pace was 12.32 min/mile. I know that's slow, but the face I can do any of it at all is a real plus! I'm actually enjoying it too! I NEVER thought that would happen!

Haven't figured out yet what I'm going to do the rest of the week. I'm enjoying the run so much, there's a 1/2 marathon in May I'm considering. May 2, so that would be a month before the tri. Did I already mention that? Anyways, it takes place on a really beautiful trail in Sacramento near the river, and I think it would be fun. I think I'm crazy!!

Have a great week.

2009-01-27 7:35 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Hi Jennifer,

Isn't it a great feeling when you can really see the progress. Great work on the running! Also, what a great way to take what could be a depressing 3 days and turn it around.  Two years ago we took a family vacation to California and drove down the coast from San Fransisco to Los Angeles.  We spent some time in Monterey. We loved it! The highlight for that part of the trip was kayaking in the bay.  At one point I was only about 10 feet from a sea otter lying on it's back eating.  So cute!

Anyway, can you believe you are even considering a half marathon?!?!?! WOW!  Also, your pace is not bad at all for a beginner. You're increasing your running duration at a good rate. Not too much too soon, but enough to continue to build up your endurance.

Susie

PS You're not crazy....you've been bitten. You're in trouble now

Edited by suzimmer 2009-01-27 7:37 PM
2009-01-27 8:08 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Oh, I was checking out everyone's logs.  Most of you are looking good, although a couple....where are you?  Either you've not been filling out the logs or have not been training. I hope everything is OK. If you just fell off the training wagon, that's OK, just jump right back on. 

Looking forward to hearing from everyone this week.

Susie

2009-01-27 9:19 PM
in reply to: #1932693

Susie
Do you have any tips on breathing while running ( besides the fact that I must do it!)? I always feel short of breath even though my heart rate is finally coming down. I continue to run slow for 20 to 25 minutes, and I'm unsure of whether I should be increasing my distance now, or working on some intervals and speed. I don't have breathing issues with swimming or cycling.
My training is about to hit some bumps as I am back to university until April, working lots, and my mom is recovering from surgery.
I, also, have a question for the nurses in the group. How do you train consistently working shift work? I work 12 hour shifts and can't possibly work out after a shift.
Lori
2009-01-28 12:04 AM
in reply to: #1932805

Honolulu
I do 3 8's and 1 12hour shift a week. The 12 hour shifts are every other weekend and that weekend is pretty shot in regards to working out ...way too tired after work. During the week when I do 8 hour shifts I either go before at 0500 or after work. I really try to make up on my days off.. like this Thursday going to run,swim and do yoga. This week has been bad as havent worked out since Friday cause of work and a conference...ugh

2009-01-28 5:06 AM

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
ah Jennifer, you've been bitting by the running bug Which is great!!!

I have to sign up for my half marathon this week. To make it official I guess. I'm a bit scared because I haven't been running that much for the past month. The weather here makes it hard to get the runs in. Like tonight I have a group run but we are suppose to get a lot of snow during the day.... It might be cancelled. Then I have to move things around and I end up not doing it. I can't be doing a half marathon in May with one run a week.... I'm just questionning my decision because I have to register this week to get the early bird rate (which is only 45$Can)

Great swimming last night. I pushed myself hard. It was a speed workout and I usually just cruise along but not yesterday. I'll update my training log later because I'm kinda late right now... oops...

Patricia

2009-01-28 2:46 PM

User image

New user
Northern California

I have a whole new respect for you cold weather ladies after today...it was 26 degrees this morning, and though I was up and ready to go, I just couldn't get warmed up after scraping ice off the windshield and taking kids to school. I drove to the gym and was still freezing, and could barely get myself to get into the water. It took me probably 200 yards just to get my body moving. After I had done a total of 450 yards- just hitting my stride and feeling good about things,FINALLY warmed up, my hubby stopped me and told me they were getting ready for the water aerobics class! Aagh! I forgot about that class! So, I had to stop there. I did some weights, and came home and did a few miles on the bike, but my 1/2 workout left me feeling a little bummed. It's weird- thinking 450 yards wasn't "enough." NOT something I'm used to. It's nice, but weird!

The local tri club is having a road bike workout this Saturday I'm thinking of attending. Have to check hubby's work schedule, but it would be nice to get on the road with some other people- I've never done a group ride, and I definitely want to get used to that before June.

I finally broke it to my kids that they won't be doing the tri that day. My 14 yr old cross-country runner is especially upset, but I just don't want to have to worry about anybody else that day. He can do one another time.

2009-01-28 8:22 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Hi all!

I certainly can see how difficult it would be to workout and do a 12 hour shift. (and have a family and life in general)  I guess it does take some creativity and a supportive family, and determination to be able to get it done.  Way to go those of you pulling it off. 

Lori, as for your breathing while running question:  Here is my "experience as a runner" answer which is by no means an expert or coach answer.  I have found that one's cardiovascular  endurance is different for each discipline.  I have been running for years, but when I first started swimming I was always out of breath.  As I practiced and gained physical endurance the breathing improved.  I also find my breathing regulates after the first mile.  That first mile I'm huffing and puffing.  When you are running some people recommend that you inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth.  I can do this on slower runs, but when I pick up the pace I do all mouth breathing. This helps relax your facial muscles (when your mouth is open you are slack jawed) which relaxes your whole upper body. Try tensing your jaw. You will feel your shoulders tighten also. I also begin to breath in a rhythmic cadence that is tied together with my foot strike. The inhale should be longer than the exhale.  I know that my exhale is shorter, but it is stronger, to get more air out, if that makes sense.  Also, believe it or not, doing short sprints alone or intervals within your runs will eventual help your breathing as it works on cardiovascular endurance.   I hope that makes sense and is useful to you. 

Patricia, sometimes actually signing up for a race is what it takes to suddenly make you get serious.  But, of course you need to be realistic about your time.  I agree that running only once a week will not prepare you for a 1/2 marathon.  If you can get in 3 runs a week you should be fine.  Being a bargain hunter, I'm all over the early bird discounts.  I signed up for a July race last October.

So, Jennifer, you got to experience a bit of "winter".   Right now, to me 26 degrees sounds delightful.  We may hit that tomorrow.  Yahoo! Outdoor recess!  The kids have been stuck inside all week due to the temperature and wind chill.  

I hope you try out the road bike training.  Riding with a group can be fun, but at first a little scary especially if they ride in a tight pack. You really have to pay attention to the riders all around you.  I'm thinking that you will probably not be close together as beginners.  And in triathlons you aren't allowed to draft anyway.  You need to maintain at least 2 bike lengths from the person in front of you. Last summer I went on a couple of group training rides.  What is fun is that the lead rider is responsible for calling out and pointing out road hazards to the person behind, who does the same to the person behind and so on.  You point down to bumps, road debris etc.  You call out "car front, car left" etc.  The person at the rear is responsible for alerting the group to a car approaching from the back calling out "car back" then the next person will call it out...continuing to the front. The lead rider will also let the group know when approaching a stop,"stopping" or when crossing a street will call out "clear" if it is clear for the rider behind to keep crossing.  I got to call out "car back" quite often as I rode in the back of the pack most of the time. I didn't like having someone right behind me.

Has anyone else had any experience with group rides?     

Keep on training!

Susie                                                 

Edited by suzimmer 2009-01-28 8:24 PM
2009-01-28 10:11 PM
in reply to: #1934697

My first group ride was a bit of a disaster as I was unprepared, especially physically, and had no idea what to expect. I had only been on my new road bike twice and was new to clipless pedals. I ended up in a pack of fiercely competitive riders doing a 40 km ride which included 1/2 hour of racing wind sprints. This immediately following a hard swim of 2x750m timed! I hate to admit this, but will to my cyberfriends,....I actually turned around and went home. I was feeling very low and considered the fact that maybe I shouldn't attempt this tri stuff at my age. I was sharing all my excuses for not being able to do the ride with my fellow newbie, George. His response was " Ya well, suck it up. See ya' next Sunday right?" So, I did just that. Moral of my story: it's best to assess the level of the ride before you're in the middle of it. Begin with a group that has beginners. And, don't give up, it gets better. I love group rides now. I have learned alot from experienced riders: pacing myself, how to climb a hill, what gears to use, road etiquette- it's a whole new world. Oh, and I love the cycling jerseys.
2009-01-28 10:27 PM

User image

New user
Northern California

I should mention- they actually have 2 rides that day- an "easy" one and a "hard" one for more advanced cyclists. I'm obviously in the beginner group. I have emailed the leader to see how far it is...I would otherwise have been really concerned about getting in over my head!

2009-01-29 7:03 PM
in reply to: #1932805

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

paytash - 2009-01-27 9:19 PM  I, also, have a question for the nurses in the group. How do you train consistently working shift work? I work 12 hour shifts and can't possibly work out after a shift. Lori

Lori, I feel your pain with the 12 hr shifts. I worked them for many years. It's hard to do anything after being on your feet for 12+hrs. I now do 3 8 hr shifts and I still find it hard to fit it all in with kids, grandkids, house work and everything else that life throws our way. I do find it easier to do my swims and runs on my days off and do my trainer rides after work in front of the TV or with some good music on my i pod. Once spring gets here things will get a bit easier to train. Hang in there, you have a real good training base going. I'm sure you can get creative and fit it all in.

Karen

2009-01-29 7:22 PM

User image

New user
Northern California

Okay, so nobody I know would think this is cool but you ladies, so here goes. I rock! I did 8.39 miles on my bike this morning- however slow it was- and then I ran 4.5 miles this afternoon! Also slow- 57.22, but I'm not concerned about speed. I just want to increase my endurance little by little.

My house is a mess, my laundry's not done, there's no dinner on the table, and the dog needs a bath BAD, but by golly I worked out today and I feel good about it!

2009-01-29 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan
Thats awesome Jennifer, you are really doing great.  My house is always a mess and I have two dirty dogs. I don't sweat the little things. Everything always seems to fall into place. Congratulations on your progress.
2009-01-30 7:58 AM
in reply to: #1936663

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
3boyzmom - 2009-01-29 8:22 PM

Okay, so nobody I know would think this is cool but you ladies, so here goes. I rock! I did 8.39 miles on my bike this morning- however slow it was- and then I ran 4.5 miles this afternoon! Also slow- 57.22, but I'm not concerned about speed. I just want to increase my endurance little by little.

My house is a mess, my laundry's not done, there's no dinner on the table, and the dog needs a bath BAD, but by golly I worked out today and I feel good about it!

That's amazing Jennifer!!

I'm the same too, I know people around me don't care if I run one hour or swim 800m but I come here and I know you all will understand

My house is a mess too lol I clean it once a week on Saturday or Sunday. No time for that during the week
2009-01-30 8:16 AM

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
I had a really really good run last night. First time in a month I don't have to dress in 2000 layers to run outside (or not run at all because it's too cold). It was -6C (21F - can't wait till it's 21C aroung here hehe). The only thing was that there was a lot of snow and some of the streets were not plowed properly so it was hard on the legs and the stabiliser muscles.

I did :

15 minutes warmup
Set 1 - 2 X 3mins fast / 2mins easy (it was suppose to be 3X but I only did 2)
Set 2 - 12 minutes tempo (z3)
10 minutes cool down

I'm suppose to run again tonight with my friend (40 minutes easy)

On another note, they are keeping my dog till tomorrow. I can't wait to go get him. I'm not allowed to visit since it gets them exited It's going to be a long weekend because he's going to have to go pee every hour!!! But at least he's doing good

My shoulders are tense today.....

2009-01-30 8:57 AM

User image

New user
Northern California

I'm glad your dog is doing better. It's amazing how stressful it can be on us when our k-9 babies aren't feeling well.

I'm truly in awe over the idea of running when it's -6. I think you get extra "brownie points" for that!

This week has been really stressful for me. Long story, but it involves my husband's job and his boss who's pulling all sorts of things to try to get him fired. The good news is the boss has been lieing to corporate, and my husband has all the paperwork to prove it, and corporate's sending someone out to figure out what's going on...anyways, the reason I tell you this is I've been really glad to be able to workout this week. It has been a nice release for me, plus the "alone time" most Mommys don't get. That was the reason for the double workout yesterday. I did my "normal" workout in the morning, but then after talking to hubby I was so worked-up I just had to get out of the house. My 8 yr old rode his bike while I ran, so he was happy too.

Hope you guys have a productive, happy weekend. I'm going to try to get our group up to that road bike training, but hubby might have to go into work.

2009-01-31 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Hi everyone!

Yep, the house is a mess and the laundry always seems to be piling up, but hey we're working out and getting healthly. I figure as long as my house is passable and not in danger of being condemed I'm good.   Actually, I have a son who is very neat and loves to make money.  He has chores that he must do, but can add to his weekly allowance by doing extra.  He will clean the bathrooms etc.  I love it.  Unfortunately he's very busy right now with school in general , diving team and an early bird class to prepare for the ACT, so not much time for extra cleaning.  My son who is away at college is actually helping by not being home.  He is a slob and is perfectly happy living in squalor.   (two kids- polar opposites)

Anyway, Jennifer you're really working hard and the pay off is starting to show.  Keep it up!  Can't wait to hear how the group ride went.

Speaking of group rides has anyone gone on supported rides sponsored by an organization. They are not training rides, although many people use them as such.  I was as one last year and more than 50% of the people there had tri bikes.  Many time they are century rides in which you do not have to ride a full 100.  There will be shorter routes built in, 30 miles, 50, 75.  Karen, there is one in south eastern Michigan held in October called the Apple Cider.  Every heard of it? Anyway they are fun ways to get in some long rides.  Aid stops, sag cars and 'lots of friendly people to chat with along the way.

Patricia, glad to hear the pup is doing well. I hope by now he's home.

Seeing some good work outs posted.  Anyone try the swim golf.  My best score last week was 80. 

Have a great weekend!

Susie

2009-01-31 1:55 PM

User image

New user
Northern California

A couple of things...I haven't done swim golf yet. Timing my laps is just too distracting. I have, however, brought my stroke count down from 33 to 30, so that's good! I timed my workout yesterday, and I just don't think it could be accurate. I know that I'm slow- and this looks too fast. Of course, maybe it's really slow and I just don't have a clue! I did 1000 yards in 29:40.

So, today's ride was a bust. Yesterday my 8 yr old fell off the bars at school and hit his head. I took him to the doctor, they checked him out & said he was fine but to keep an eye on him. At midnight, he started vomitting. A lot! And he was dizzy. So I called, and they said to take him to the ER. They did a CT scan and x-rays of his neck (he hit the back of his head at the base of his skull) and everything looked good, so he "just" has a concussion. We got home at 4:30 this morning.

The weather is beautiful today- not to rub it in- but I'm hoping I can at least get a ride in when my husband gets home.

Tomorrow's my 38th birthday. I plan to register for my tri and the 1/2 marathon as my birthday present to myself. Oh....and I bought another pair of cycling pants and 3 shirts for training. Oh, and a pair of running socks. The running store had a huge sale, and I just couldn't pass up great shirts for $15-$17 each!

Someone get some training in for me this weekend please!

2009-01-31 7:31 PM
in reply to: #1939002

Have a great birthday tomorrow! And enjoy that nice weather.
Glad to hear your son will be okay- poor guy.

Edited by paytash 2009-01-31 7:32 PM
2009-02-01 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Jennifer, glad your son is OK, How scary! 

And...Happy Birthday! Great presents to yourself.  Hope you have a wonderful day.

Susie

2009-02-01 3:57 PM

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
Jennifer - I hope your son is feeling better... that must have been scary!! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

I'm off to see the Super Bowl at a local pub. I had a very full weekend training wise. Saturday was swim/bike and today I went snowshoeing for 2 hours! Might as well take advantage of all that snow. The weather was nice too so it was a lot of fun.

Happy training
2009-02-01 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan

Happy Birthday Jennifer, hope you had a nice day. Glad your son is doing good. Kids, they can really scare the crap out of you. I have made ER visits with all 5 of my kids at least once per child some twice.

Susie, I have heard of the Apple Cider. It is a little ways from where I live. The Blue Water Ramble is a bit closer. We have thought about doing that this year. Yesterday we went to the SE MI Trainerfest. It was a lot of fun. I met about 14 people from BT. What a great bunch of people. There is another BTer that is going to host another one in 2 weeks. It sounds like we are going to try to keep this going through the cold weather.

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

Karen

2009-02-01 9:28 PM

User image

New user
Northern California

Lack of sleep caught up with me yesterday, so it was a rest day. Zach is doing better, though he's grumpier than I've ever seen him, took 2 naps today. He won't be going to school tomorrow. I did get in a 14+ mile outdoor bike ride today. That was a nice change from the trainer, and I was actually a little faster on the road than on my trainer, which was an added "plus."

I've been WAY off track nutrition-wise for the last week. I have to get busy! One nice thing, however, is even though I haven't lost any more weight, my body has definitely changed. I put on a dress today that I wore back in May, but I had to wear spanx then and SQUEEZE into it, and today I just put it on WITHOUT spanx! WooHoo! Now THAT will keep me motivated!

Big workout plans for the week anyone?

2009-02-02 12:05 AM
in reply to: #1940494

Honolulu

Good for you, no spanx!!! I am not losing weight either but clothes fitting better also...I love it!! FYI I have a son name Zach also.

Gonna ramp up my training this month been pretty lax on the running so need to refocus. I am getting much better with my swim though, can now swim 600 yards comfortably. Did open water swim X2 since my biathlon and feel much more comfortable.. still pretty crooked though,need to practice sighting...any hints on this anyone.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Susie's Tri Girls - Closed Rss Feed  

of 10