BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nevergivin's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2011-02-16 12:14 AM
in reply to: #3258079

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: RE: Nevergivin's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Decided to do a double workout this evening  (Swim and Bike at the Gym).  I'll run tomorrow morning and will have the evening free to do something with my son.

2011-02-16 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3355303

User image

Modesto, California
guticur - 2011-02-14 6:50 PM Able to put in a strong bike workout today. 0 knee problems! Did a swim brick.
I also tried the Endurance Gatorade (or Gatorade Pro) formula today for the first time. Double sodium and 3x potassium, same carbs/calories. Much better flavor, not as sweet as G2 products. Did not have any GI problems.
I either use water/Gu combination or Gatorade. What do you guys use to fuel for long workouts/races?

I like to use whats on the course on race day. For my long bikes 2+ hours I will use First Endurance and Hammer gels. I buy my gel in bulk and use a flask and water it down slightly so it comes out easy.
2011-02-16 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3355303

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA
guticur - 2011-02-14 9:50 PM Able to put in a strong bike workout today. 0 knee problems! Did a swim brick.
I also tried the Endurance Gatorade (or Gatorade Pro) formula today for the first time. Double sodium and 3x potassium, same carbs/calories. Much better flavor, not as sweet as G2 products. Did not have any GI problems.
I either use water/Gu combination or Gatorade. What do you guys use to fuel for long workouts/races?

I had been using Gatorade (G2) pretty much exclusively up until last year, when in April, my body decided to reject it about midway through a metric.  Not a pretty sight (and I still cannot drink the stuff).  I have been using Heed since then with good results.  I will also mix in some Hammer Gels and Cliff Shot Gels/Blocks. 
2011-02-17 7:48 AM

User image

Regular
So I hit my goals this past weekend. Indoor tri went awesome. I was not happy with the swim but thats my weakness. I did 13 lengths in 10m, 15m on the spin in 30min (saved way, way too much!), and beat my 2.25m goal at 3.32m in 20min. Felt great! Sunday rolls around and all of a sudden my body gives up, Monday Im sick with Flu symptoms etc, Tuesday I fight through a miserable day, and from Tuesday night to this morning I was comatose and didnt get up from the bed. Today Im somewhat functional but dont think I want to chance a relapse by working out on a weak body. Lost 6 pounds, hopefully water, and still lethargic. All I can think is two more weeks till my first tri and I feel like this? Four days out with not one workout! Ahhhhhhh! Huge wrench in my plans! I still feel like I want to do this next tri though. I just know that I wont be expecting any improvements. Real deal in two weeks! Stoked!
2011-02-17 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3353762

anyone use the tri-newbies 70.3 training???
are there any brick workouts in it?

Thanks  
2011-02-18 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3360713

User image

Expert
Salem
rfranke7 - 2011-02-17 3:31 PM anyone use the tri-newbies 70.3 training???
are there any brick workouts in it?

Thanks  

I looked it over and there didn't appear to be any brick workouts.  I haven't every used Tri-Newbies.

2011-02-18 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Have to give in to the wife this weekend for a couple of days; she is taking care of her mom and dad.  Will impact me getting my workouts in, but in the long run will come back to pay dividends; need to help out. I'll probably miss one bike and one swim.  I may be able to get a medium 5 mile run in tomorrow sometime and a 2000 yd. continuous swim and 8 mile long run in on Sunday to finish off the week.
2011-02-21 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Bad weather on its way again. Able to train this weekend but multiple "social events" slowed me down a little (I payed for it). I hate to go back indoors to workout.
2011-02-21 2:30 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Back to rain here, I got a 56 mile ride in just before a downpour. Try to get workouts in when you can and try to focus on quality, don't dwell on missed workouts, balance is just as important for motivation!
2011-02-21 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3365535

User image

Had a great training week last week, capped off by a nice six mile run outside.  Took the day off Sunday, and got four miles in today after the snow showers ended.  I am really enjoying running a lot more now that I have sworn off treadmills for the rest of winter.
2011-02-22 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3366185

User image

Modesto, California
williemc432 - 2011-02-21 7:53 PM Had a great training week last week, capped off by a nice six mile run outside.  Took the day off Sunday, and got four miles in today after the snow showers ended.  I am really enjoying running a lot more now that I have sworn off treadmills for the rest of winter.

Nice! Treadmills always end up causing soreness to my knees, I think it has something to do with the conveyer moving back as Im planting my foot.

2011-02-23 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3366823

User image

nevergivin - 2011-02-22 10:48 AM
williemc432 - 2011-02-21 7:53 PM Had a great training week last week, capped off by a nice six mile run outside.  Took the day off Sunday, and got four miles in today after the snow showers ended.  I am really enjoying running a lot more now that I have sworn off treadmills for the rest of winter.

Nice! Treadmills always end up causing soreness to my knees, I think it has something to do with the conveyer moving back as Im planting my foot.

I have similar issues as well.  I am not sure if its my stride or what, but my legs always hurt a lot more after a run on the treadmill.
2011-02-25 8:27 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

Have been on a recovery week.  Set a goal this evening of running a slower pace then usual.  Wanted to run between 9:30 and 10:00 per mile pace.  Average pace was 9:54.  Man it takes concentration to stay within your pace; especially slower.  Had to constantly remind myself to slow down.  Felt great at the end of my run this evening.  When I do my Long Course Tri (Half Ironman distance) in June I am shooting for a 10:00 ave. pace.  Anything lower will be bonus. 

2011-02-27 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Great workouts this week.  Got them all in.  Distance will start going up especially on the bike.  I might have to download a movie from itunes to watch on my IPhone while I ride.  It is going to be a wet and rainy week here in Oregon.  This will delay me getting outside on the bike; when it rains it usually includes some heavy winds.

Did a short brick from bike to run this evening; that was after the swim.  Felt pretty good.  If I'd have run a mile and a half further I'd have done at least a full sprint (and then some this evening). 
2011-02-28 8:05 AM

User image

Regular
Fantastic week and weekend! Time to taper for this weekend, My first official Triathlon in Savannah, GA. Time to focus and control anxiety. I feel like I dont want to slow down. Hardest thing for me is to taper. I feel like I loose an edge. Cant wait for this coming weekend!!!
2011-02-28 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3375113

User image

Houston, Texas
driveradme - 2011-02-28 8:05 AM Fantastic week and weekend! Time to taper for this weekend, My first official Triathlon in Savannah, GA. Time to focus and control anxiety. I feel like I dont want to slow down. Hardest thing for me is to taper. I feel like I loose an edge. Cant wait for this coming weekend!!!

Good luck to you!  I hate taper week because I don't know how much to ease off without getting sluggish by race time.  Last race I just kept on training until two days before, treating the tri as my "long" day. 

After a spotty February I think I'm not in a bad position.  Man am I glad winter's over!!!  Busy weekend with my son's birthday and a couple of cub scout events (guess who's den leader).  I missed my Saturday ride but with an encouraging spouse I managed to get up Sunday and fit it in.  I felt great about it, even though the back half was rough with a terrible head-wind.  I just thought of it as training for Galveston, where the wind can be merciless.  Only 5 weeks away!

My swim this morning was only mediocre, but I ran 4 miles with an average pace just over 10mph, and I'm happy with that!  I'd like to improve that pace, but it's been a struggle to get there, so one step at a time.  This weekend I'll move my Friday run to Saturday for a bike/run brick every week until race time.

I also bought the week-by-week training book you recommended, Triguybri, as well as the Total Immersion swimming and the Triathlete's Bible.  Now I just have to find the time to read!

-Mike

2011-02-28 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3375113

User image

Modesto, California
driveradme - 2011-02-28 6:05 AM Fantastic week and weekend! Time to taper for this weekend, My first official Triathlon in Savannah, GA. Time to focus and control anxiety. I feel like I dont want to slow down. Hardest thing for me is to taper. I feel like I loose an edge. Cant wait for this coming weekend!!!

I found tapering to be an individual thing that is developed through experience, you develop a feel for what works for you. I have found the same to be true for warmups also, there is no one fits all for that as well.

I placed fifth in my race over the weekend, I had an advantage with a very small field, however it was nice to win cash for once as opposed to the usual medal or t-shirt.
2011-02-28 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3375315

User image

Regular
Thanks mikjamlec, I think I will go with a training week similar to what you mentioned. Its only a sprint and Im pretty much fit for an OLY except the ever progressing swim. I feel you on all the reading. Ive been reading Born to Run and about to delve into ultramarathon man. More for the inspirational and  perspective. Maybe Lance Armstrongs book etc. I am finding that their stories have opened my mind to the unlimited possibility. I feel like Ill eventually run a 100miler. This year. I hope a Marathon very late and Augusta HIM. I am well ahead of schedule and it feels fantastic! Keep up the work. I know how family life causes obstacles in good ways. I am blessed with people that support me and it sounds like your in the same company. Nevergivin, very impressive!  I couldnt imagine actually earning from races. Thats just awesome!
2011-03-01 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3375315

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
mikjamlec - 2011-02-28 10:41 AM
driveradme - 2011-02-28 8:05 AM Fantastic week and weekend! Time to taper for this weekend, My first official Triathlon in Savannah, GA. Time to focus and control anxiety. I feel like I dont want to slow down. Hardest thing for me is to taper. I feel like I loose an edge. Cant wait for this coming weekend!!!

Good luck to you!  I hate taper week because I don't know how much to ease off without getting sluggish by race time.  Last race I just kept on training until two days before, treating the tri as my "long" day. 

After a spotty February I think I'm not in a bad position.  Man am I glad winter's over!!!  Busy weekend with my son's birthday and a couple of cub scout events (guess who's den leader).  I missed my Saturday ride but with an encouraging spouse I managed to get up Sunday and fit it in.  I felt great about it, even though the back half was rough with a terrible head-wind.  I just thought of it as training for Galveston, where the wind can be merciless.  Only 5 weeks away!

My swim this morning was only mediocre, but I ran 4 miles with an average pace just over 10mph, and I'm happy with that!  I'd like to improve that pace, but it's been a struggle to get there, so one step at a time.  This weekend I'll move my Friday run to Saturday for a bike/run brick every week until race time.

I also bought the week-by-week training book you recommended, Triguybri, as well as the Total Immersion swimming and the Triathlete's Bible.  Now I just have to find the time to read!

-Mike

10 mph run is crazy fast dude....6 minute mile! If you get any faster you can go out and play with the pros. 
2011-03-01 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
I take it ez on taper week. I trust the conditioning won't go anywhere....race adrenaline helps me avoid being sluggish. My HR is usually around 120 on start line, so I have plenty of energy to go. Once I competed after a week of normal training and I felt like my legs were only 80%.
2011-03-01 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3377067

User image

Houston, Texas
guticur - 2011-03-01 8:55 AM 10 mph run is crazy fast dude....6 minute mile! If you get any faster you can go out and play with the pros. 

Bwah hah hah!  Not even close.  As soon as I saw your message I knew I'd done something wrong.  Never trust a CPA to do math.  My pace was 10 minutes per mile (10m 8s).

Still, as I said, I'm happy with it.  I'm convinced that in my AG, it's all about the run.  The top two in my AG last race were about my pace on the swim and the bike, but absolutely blew everyone's doors off on the run.  They came in under a 6 minute mile, and that's without fuzzy math.  I think improving my run will help me move up in the standings, which I'd like to do this year.

Thanks for keeping me honest! 

-Mike

2011-03-01 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3377316

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
mikjamlec - 2011-03-01 11:35 AM
guticur - 2011-03-01 8:55 AM 10 mph run is crazy fast dude....6 minute mile! If you get any faster you can go out and play with the pros. 

Bwah hah hah!  Not even close.  As soon as I saw your message I knew I'd done something wrong.  Never trust a CPA to do math.  My pace was 10 minutes per mile (10m 8s).

Still, as I said, I'm happy with it.  I'm convinced that in my AG, it's all about the run.  The top two in my AG last race were about my pace on the swim and the bike, but absolutely blew everyone's doors off on the run.  They came in under a 6 minute mile, and that's without fuzzy math.  I think improving my run will help me move up in the standings, which I'd like to do this year.

-Mike
I couldn't agree with you any more. When I first started I thought running was my strength (boy was I in for a rude awakening!). There is nothing worse than doing good in the swim/bike part just to have your heart broken during the run. It happened to me in all the events I did last year. This off season I have worked on this aspect, but it takes forever. I'm thinking I have shaved about 1:15-1:30/mile so far. I started were you are, around 10. My advice: just keep at it, and get ready for all sorts of aches, pains and minor injuries in the process.
2011-03-02 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3378300

User image

Modesto, California
guticur - 2011-03-01 6:10 PM

-Mike
I couldn't agree with you any more. When I first started I thought running was my strength (boy was I in for a rude awakening!). There is nothing worse than doing good in the swim/bike part just to have your heart broken during the run. It happened to me in all the events I did last year. This off season I have worked on this aspect, but it takes forever. I'm thinking I have shaved about 1:15-1:30/mile so far. I started were you are, around 10. My advice: just keep at it, and get ready for all sorts of aches, pains and minor injuries in the process.

I can honestly say the exact same thing, for me all of my races slipped away during the run. The more I focused on my run the more injuries I started having to deal with. I wish I knew what it was like to run six minute miles without getting injuries!
Honestly I still believe the best approach is to keep training balanced so that one strength does not create a weakness in another, that and having a good coach!

2011-03-02 10:51 AM

You all can run 6 miles with no injuries! Over the past few years I've learned a couple of things. I started at 10min miles. My first half I ended up running 8:43. Right now, I'm putting up 7:30's and last Friday I did 4 at 7:10! They keys are using the right shoes, interval training and know when you body had enough. I remember the first time I ran a full three miles I got sick the next day and it lasted a full week! Obviously I pushed to hard to quick. My goal on every single run is to raise my recovery speed. By that I mean I want my slow speed to be fast! I use to start the treadmill at 6 mph and eventually max out around 7.7mph for the last .2 miles. Now, I start at 7.8mph and can Finnish around 10. Essentially 7.8 is my new 6.0 and I can hold that pace for a while. Every run I try to hold 8mph for a little longer and eventually it will be comfortable and my lowest speed. I remember one of the hardest things to accomplish was physically getting my body to move that fast (I know that sounds funny). So what my long ramble is trying to say is keep pushing! If you're running at 6mph, try to hold 6.3 for a minute then slow down. Then try again! Your body will adapt!And yes, I've had a few injuries from overtraining so now I have an idea where my limit is

Edited by rfranke7 2011-03-02 1:55 PM
2011-03-02 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3377316

User image

-Mike

Right there with you.  A year ago I was at about a 10 minute mile, and gradually got it down to the high 8s by running on a regular basis, but I was still getting destroyed in the run.  Just started with a coach who uses a lot of interval training (tonight I did a mile during my run at a 7:31 pace- never thought in a million years that would happen)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Nevergivin's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10