BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-05-12 5:11 PM
in reply to: #1358169

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: RE: tcovert's Group - CLOSED
It sounds like you're a pretty strong swimmer even though you just started in the last few months. Keep up the good work!

2008-05-12 5:23 PM
in reply to: #1397411

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
jcash683 - 2008-05-12 1:32 PM

Happy tapering to those that are racing this week and for those that are, what are your goals for your races?

----John----

Last year for Bay to Breakers, I ran:

Total Time = 57m 26s
Overall Rank = 686/23710 (2.89%)
Age Group (M40-49) Rank = 120/2481 (4.84%)

Now, Liz and I started way back in the pack and my first mile was only 8:23...my last two miles were more like 7:12. I'm planning to get us both up closer to the front this time and hopefully knock 20-30 seconds off the first mile, for starters. I'm hoping to go sub-55 this time.
2008-05-12 5:26 PM
in reply to: #1397570

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Pegasus1731 - 2008-05-12 2:19 PM

I had my best swim today!! My stroke count averages 20, but I was hitting 18-19 !! And my 100yd average is 1:50, but in my 10th 100yd I hit 1:43. Progress!!! I was excited so I had to share!

Glad to see everybody's doing well, have a great week!

That's really terrific on all counts...way to go!
2008-05-12 6:10 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
While I'm thinking of it: Does anyone have any questions about or need any help with any of the BT training log/blogging functions? I may not know the answer, but if you do have questions, I bet we can get them answered.
2008-05-12 10:11 PM

User image

Ballantyne
Well I'm back for this week I hope. The weather was cooperating (most of the time) and I spent all my time in the field. So if you thought I wasn't keeping up with my logs, I was, I just didn't have anything to report. Which was just as well since the pool I swim at was down for the week. Hopefully it will be up for tomorrow. I'm really hoping to get a swim in the evening to start off my training again. I might end up in the field if the weather is good though. So here is my tenative schedule for the week.

Today - nothing (had a visitation to go to)
Tuesday - swimming 500m or more total
Wednesday - running 3 miles
Thursday - swimming - improving on Tuesday and swimming 100m nonstop
Friday running some more
Saturday - perhaps a nice bike ride
Sunday - swimming/running brick I'm really hoping to at least get some swimming in, but I would love to try a brick.

Sarah, my friends in the cities really liked your maps of the lakes. Thanks.

Time for some sleep now. I'm really going to try and add it to my training to get more sleep. Although it'll be tough this time of year.

Good night,

Joe
2008-05-12 10:13 PM

User image

Texas

Well last week was stressful...but at least all those finals are done and i passed all the classes.  This week should be more balanced in the workouts.  Last week i did nothing but run.

Monday- 4.5 mile run

Tuesday- Swim and Bike

Wednesday- Long Run

Thursday- Swim and Bike

Friday- Long swim

Sat- Long Bike

Sunday- Off

I got my bike today!! so the bike rides will be real rides not just the stationary.  I am also going to ride the bike to school everyday.  Only 2 miles though.  I will put pics up tomorrow to lazy tonight lol.  Hope everyone had a great weekend. 

2008-05-12 10:46 PM

User image

Overland Park, KS

I hurt my leg tonight so I'm hoping it will be better and I can stay with this somewhat idea of a plan.  I am having a really hard time deciding when to train what and usually just go with what fits in my family's schedule.  I also need to research everyone's goals and see who is doing Sprint distance and who is training for longer distances.  When I review everyone's training logs and posts, I'm feeling quite inadequate Cry

Mon - 1.8 mile run - pulled hamstring

Tues - "working" from home so I hope to get in a decent brick workout outside

Wed - Swimming

Thurs - not sure, but something

Fri - probably OFF

Sat - long bike

Sun - long run

2008-05-13 12:19 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Mon- am swim/ aftn bike
Tues- spin class/ core/abs workout
Wed- short swim and short run
Thurs- short swim
fri/sat rest
Sunday-oly race

Goals for the race are really to have fun. It's my first at this distance. For a conservative goal on a course which is very hilly, I'm secretly hoping to come in the top 30% of my AG, that would be awesome. I guess that's not so secret anymore!

Have a good week everyone.
2008-05-13 1:05 AM
in reply to: #1398323

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
run_carmen - 2008-05-12 8:46 PM

I hurt my leg tonight so I'm hoping it will be better and I can stay with this somewhat idea of a plan. I am having a really hard time deciding when to train what and usually just go with what fits in my family's schedule. I also need to research everyone's goals and see who is doing Sprint distance and who is training for longer distances. When I review everyone's training logs and posts, I'm feeling quite inadequate Cry

Wed - Swimming

Fri - probably OFF

Sat - long bike

Sun - long run

Be careful with the hamstring tomorrow! If it's acting up, you might try to fit the brick in later in the week and just get in some biking.

Good insight about remembering that we're all on different schedules and prepping for different distances...and don't forget that some of us started training earlier...and some have stronger backgrounds than others in one or more of the three tri disciplines. Don't compare yourself with others in the group...other than only maybe insofar as seeing how much others _don't_ get to do huge workouts everyday.

Y'know, my attitude is always that, if you've gotten to the point where you can do at least the distance you're going to be racing in each discipline in a standalone workout, you are adequately prepared to do the race. And you are at that point already, judging from your logs.

So from here on out, with whatever increased distances or intensities and whatever brick workouts you get in, you're going to be building on what is already a sound foundation. If you want a really loose target to shoot for, look toward building your longest workout in each discipline by about 10% from week to week and give yourself a break on the build every 4th week. And don't beat yourself up (if you can avoid it) if life gets in the way of any goal like that. Every minute you train is a minute invested in yourself, whether it pays off in a triathlon or not.
2008-05-13 1:06 AM
in reply to: #1398383

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
kt65 - 2008-05-12 10:19 PM

Goals for the race are really to have fun. It's my first at this distance. For a conservative goal on a course which is very hilly, I'm secretly hoping to come in the top 30% of my AG, that would be awesome. I guess that's not so secret anymore!

We won't tell anyone.
2008-05-13 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1398401

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

tcovert - 2008-05-13 1:06 AM
kt65 - 2008-05-12 10:19 PM Goals for the race are really to have fun. It's my first at this distance. For a conservative goal on a course which is very hilly, I'm secretly hoping to come in the top 30% of my AG, that would be awesome. I guess that's not so secret anymore!
We won't tell anyone.

I'm tellin'!   Tongue out  Really, thats an awesome goal and one that will help you to achieve your best results and feel good about yourself no matter the outcome.

2008-05-13 8:35 AM
in reply to: #1398323

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
run_carmen - 2008-05-12 10:46 PM

I hurt my leg tonight so I'm hoping it will be better and I can stay with this somewhat idea of a plan.  I am having a really hard time deciding when to train what and usually just go with what fits in my family's schedule.  I also need to research everyone's goals and see who is doing Sprint distance and who is training for longer distances.  When I review everyone's training logs and posts, I'm feeling quite inadequate Cry

Wed - Swimming

Fri - probably OFF

Sat - long bike

Sun - long run

Sounds like a great workout week planned Carmen, just take care of your hammie so it doesnt set you back longer than you'd like (even if it means taking it easy for the week). 

As far as feeling inadequacies in your training, I wouldn't worry bout what everyone else is doing, just follow your training plans, take in some of Todd's great advice, and let the good times roll. The distances and times will come later, I'm certain of it. Believe me, sometimes I get bummed out when i check out swim times of other athletes on this very site and then I spin it around thinking "hey, i'm swimming alot farther than i was last year". You've got the support here no matter the distance or speed.

----John----

2008-05-13 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1398292

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

pcm95 - 2008-05-12 10:11 PM Well I'm back for this week I hope. The weather was cooperating (most of the time) and I spent all my time in the field. So if you thought I wasn't keeping up with my logs, I was, I just didn't have anything to report. Which was just as well since the pool I swim at was down for the week. Hopefully it will be up for tomorrow. I'm really hoping to get a swim in the evening to start off my training again. I might end up in the field if the weather is good though. So here is my tenative schedule for the week. Today - nothing (had a visitation to go to) Tuesday - swimming 500m or more total Wednesday - running 3 miles Thursday - swimming - improving on Tuesday and swimming 100m nonstop Friday running some more Saturday - perhaps a nice bike ride Sunday - swimming/running brick I'm really hoping to at least get some swimming in, but I would love to try a brick. Sarah, my friends in the cities really liked your maps of the lakes. Thanks. Time for some sleep now. I'm really going to try and add it to my training to get more sleep. Although it'll be tough this time of year. Good night, Joe

Sounds like its a tough time of year for you to get your workouts in with all the planting going on. Hopefully things will settle down for you soon. Off topic question for you though, just curious as to what yer plantin? Beans, corn? And, while you were out there, how many nice bucks have ya seen.Smile

----John----

2008-05-13 12:46 PM
in reply to: #1398703

User image

Ballantyne
jcash683 - 2008-05-13 8:42 AM

p>  Sounds like its a tough time of year for you to get your workouts in with all the planting going on. Hopefully things will settle down for you soon. Off topic question for you though, just curious as to what yer plantin? Beans, corn? And, while you were out there, how many nice bucks have ya seen.Smile

----John----

Well we just finished up the corn yesterday and will probably start on beans tomorrow. Just need to get the planter switched over. Dad's out spraying right now. Hopefully the wind will cooperate over the next couple of days along with the rest of the weather. I haven't seen any bucks this spring, but a few pheasant, a coyote, and alot of rabbits. Even a few morel mushrooms.

Carmen, when you don't feel like your training is up to snuff, just look at my blank week. See if that helps. Take care of that hammie, the only thing worse than not being quite ready for a tri is not being able to be in a tri because of injury. Hope it gets better.
2008-05-13 1:56 PM
in reply to: #1398641

User image

Elite
san francisco
jcash683 - 2008-05-13 6:17 AM

kt65 - 2008-05-12 10:19 PM Goals for the race are really to have fun. It's my first at this distance. For a conservative goal on a course which is very hilly, I'm secretly hoping to come in the top 30% of my AG, that would be awesome. I guess that's not so secret anymore!
We won't tell anyone.

I'm tellin'!   Tongue out  Really, thats an awesome goal and one that will help you to achieve your best results and feel good about yourself no matter the outcome.

LOL, this goal is kind of a longshot as I am probably going to be DFL in the swim, but as long as I'm not DNF in the swim or on the course, I will be super happy. Weather forecast is for unseasonably hot weather (99 on Fri! by race day Sunday, should be high of 85 which will be okay) Drinking water like crazy starting yesterday!
2008-05-13 3:20 PM
in reply to: #1399916

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
kt65 - 2008-05-13 11:56 AM

jcash683 - 2008-05-13 6:17 AM

We won't tell anyone.

LOL, this goal is kind of a longshot as I am probably going to be DFL in the swim, but as long as I'm not DNF in the swim or on the course, I will be super happy. Weather forecast is for unseasonably hot weather (99 on Fri! by race day Sunday, should be high of 85 which will be okay) Drinking water like crazy starting yesterday!

Okay...based on last year's results: 1:40/100 yds swim, 14.5 mph bike, ~8 min/mile run. That'd probably give you top 30% in your AG. If your swim isn't quite there, you've got plenty of time on the bike and run to compensate! Go for it!

2008-05-13 5:01 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Kim - you're in great shape, so you should set high goals for yourself, top 30% in your AG is totally within reach! ....and if it comes down to the run and you aren't feeling too hot but you see someone that looks about your age take 'em out at the knees, err, kidding of course

Everyone - I got good news from my doctor today. I had an MRI on my foot because my heal was bothering me and I've had two stress fractures over the past few years in my heals. Anyways, it came back as just soft tissue swelling and some ligament swelling. Woohoo! I will likely take the week easy with running to let the swelling go down, and I plan on icing.

Just wanted to share the good news
2008-05-13 5:49 PM
in reply to: #1400501

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Slahmmer - 2008-05-13 3:01 PM

Everyone - I got good news from my doctor today. I had an MRI on my foot because my heal was bothering me and I've had two stress fractures over the past few years in my heals. Anyways, it came back as just soft tissue swelling and some ligament swelling. Woohoo! I will likely take the week easy with running to let the swelling go down, and I plan on icing.

Just wanted to share the good news

Glad to hear it!
2008-05-13 6:13 PM
in reply to: #1400501

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

Slahmmer - 2008-05-13 5:01 PM Kim - you're in great shape, so you should set high goals for yourself, top 30% in your AG is totally within reach! ....and if it comes down to the run and you aren't feeling too hot but you see someone that looks about your age take 'em out at the knees, err, kidding of course Everyone - I got good news from my doctor today. I had an MRI on my foot because my heal was bothering me and I've had two stress fractures over the past few years in my heals. Anyways, it came back as just soft tissue swelling and some ligament swelling. Woohoo! I will likely take the week easy with running to let the swelling go down, and I plan on icing. Just wanted to share the good news

Sweet, you'll be back in biz in no time.

2008-05-13 9:29 PM

User image

Overland Park, KS

Sarah - good news on the heel!

Thanks all for the kind words on my workouts - it's funny switching from training for a half marathon to training for a tri because there are 3 areas you want to improve in so I just feel like I'm never quite working out enough in any of them.  I'm really going to try and start increasing my outside bike rides since that's where I feel weakest.  I will become friends with my bike Wink

I went out and rode for 37 minutes at lunch today - wanted to go a bit longer but had to shower and get back to computer for a meeting.  I ran across the parking lot after my bike just to see how the hammie felt and it was pretty sore so I was glad I decided against the brick today.  If it's not raining I'm going to try my first commute to work on my bike - need to look up how far it is still!  The fire station between my house and work is doing a free breakfast stop for bikers so I figured why not  

Hope everyone has a good hump day and rounds out there weeks well!

2008-05-14 8:45 AM
in reply to: #1401022

User image

Minneapolis, MN
run_carmen - 2008-05-13 9:29 PM

Sarah - good news on the heel!

Thanks all for the kind words on my workouts - it's funny switching from training for a half marathon to training for a tri because there are 3 areas you want to improve in so I just feel like I'm never quite working out enough in any of them.  I'm really going to try and start increasing my outside bike rides since that's where I feel weakest.  I will become friends with my bike Wink

I went out and rode for 37 minutes at lunch today - wanted to go a bit longer but had to shower and get back to computer for a meeting.  I ran across the parking lot after my bike just to see how the hammie felt and it was pretty sore so I was glad I decided against the brick today.  If it's not raining I'm going to try my first commute to work on my bike - need to look up how far it is still!  The fire station between my house and work is doing a free breakfast stop for bikers so I figured why not  

Hope everyone has a good hump day and rounds out there weeks well!

Carmen - I definitely know what you mean about trying to balance improvement in all three of the sports. If you read the forums on here people say you can't improve in swimming unless you're swimming 4 to 5 times a week, you can't improve in biking unless you're biking 4 to 5 times a week, ditto for running. If you did every discipline 4 to 5 times per week that'd be 12 to 15 workouts and if you want a rest day that means you're doubling up every day! With the other stuff I do I just can't make that work (and I don't even have kids!). Anyways, it seems like you have to just pick something to work on while maintaining the other two. I don't know if its best to have a weekly focus for each sport or a monthly focus for each sport or maybe even focus on improving one thing for an entire season. I guess it just depends on the individual. Maybe Todd can help out

2008-05-14 8:49 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Oh yeah, and have fun biking outside. You'll become addicted just like the rest of us.
I love riding my bike because it makes me feel like a little kid again
2008-05-14 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1401499

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Slahmmer - 2008-05-14 6:45 AM

Carmen - I definitely know what you mean about trying to balance improvement in all three of the sports. If you read the forums on here people say you can't improve in swimming unless you're swimming 4 to 5 times a week, you can't improve in biking unless you're biking 4 to 5 times a week, ditto for running. If you did every discipline 4 to 5 times per week that'd be 12 to 15 workouts and if you want a rest day that means you're doubling up every day! With the other stuff I do I just can't make that work (and I don't even have kids!). Anyways, it seems like you have to just pick something to work on while maintaining the other two. I don't know if its best to have a weekly focus for each sport or a monthly focus for each sport or maybe even focus on improving one thing for an entire season. I guess it just depends on the individual. Maybe Todd can help out

There's a concept out there called "non-linear periodization" that's relevant here. Basically it implies that you can use the idea of a build in volume and/or intensity followed by a recovery week to make improvements, but you don't necessarily need to have all your sports "aligned" on the same calendar. So that's one way to approach this: Have the two "biggest" weeks on the bike be the recovery week and first build week for the run and swim (and vice versa).

Another approach (and this is more what I tend to do for several reasons) is a more "seasonal" focus. For me, winter is run training--specifically marathon training. This works for me because the only marathon I do is the first weekend in March and the last tri (last year, anyhow) is at the end of September. I used my marathon recovery period as the beginning of my build on the bike and the swim...which works well this year, since my major target tri is not until late July. Next year, it may be harder to accomplish this, since I'm hoping to do the Wildflower Long Course in early May (meaning less time for bike/swim build up).

Lastly--and maybe most importantly (and some of you, I know, are already working this way)--there's the notion of training to your weakness(es). For me, that's the bike right now. I'm furthest away from being able to comfortably cover the HIM distance on the bike, so I'm spending a high percentage of time in the saddle now. In June, I'll start to build my swim a bit more, but--for now--I'm relying on the fact that, even without training, I'm a competent swimmer and I'm only swimming once a week. So, if you have to budget your time, spend it on where you are weakest. Too many people gravitate to where they are comfortable.

Any other time-economy ideas?
2008-05-14 7:22 PM
in reply to: #1402128

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

"Any other time-economy ideas?"

I don't recommend my idea to most people, but i sacrifice sleep for my AM workouts which lately have been swims, sometimes runs though.  I, however, seem to survive on 6 hrs sleep a nite during the week. Once again, it's personally what i do, but i don't think it works for most to give up sleep.

I really like bricks however, since it seems like i'm able to squeeze "2" workouts into 1 so-to-speak. For instance, if i had a 2hr bike session planned, i could make it a 1.5hr bike / .5hr run or something like that in any combination of the 3 sports. If you feel strong on the bike, weak on the run it could be more like a 1hr run first, then 1hr bike, instead.

I try to keep in mind that the triathlon road is a long one and not to expect super fast results in a short amount of time. You've got plenty of time to try new training strategies. Imagine yourself 5 years down the road with consistant training?  Sounds great doesn't it!

While i'm thinking of it, one other thing to help get workouts in when time is crunched, is to always have your training gear at the ready. Gym bags filled with essentials (running shoes, swim goggles, Gels or bars,  etc). Bike in good working order. If i've got a half hr for a quick run or bike and it takes me 15/20 mins to get ready cus i'm hunting down all my stuff, that stinks. I'd rather be able to hit the road in 5mins.

Just some quick thoughts, and now you see how my mind works   scary isn't it.

----John----

2008-05-14 8:47 PM

User image

Texas

I like the ideas John.  I have got my bag ready before i go to sleep at night and i always feel like its easier to get up in the morning and i dont have to search for everything in the dark or half asleep.    Couple of questions for everyone.  I know everyone has a different eating plan depending on if you wanna lose weight or what ever but what are some things people usually eat for breakfast or lunch?  I feel like i have been kinda eating a heavy lunch and i dont want that.  I wanna lose weight and i did for a long time and now im kinda leveling off.  I wanna get to 200 and i feel like i am stuck at 211. 

Other question- What is a website people like to use to buy a lot of triathlon equipment and clothes.  I have about......nothing when it comes to clothes. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18