BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2009-01-13 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1905268

User image

Master
Elgin,
Subject: RE: Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!!

EightmanVT - 2009-01-13 2:35 PM Wow - That ended up being really long Embarassed  Hard to tell when you're just typing away in a 3 inch tall window.  I promise most of my posts won't be nearly as annoying.

Never annoying, it gives everybody in the forum a basis on where you come from and how you think.  Don't worry about the long posts.

2009-01-13 6:34 PM
in reply to: #1858045

User image

Master
Elgin,
David, I would be interested in the coaching if you still have room.  Let me know the details so I can consider and make an educated decision.  I have also talked to MarkDills about it a little, but unsure if he is the right fit for me.

Edited by tlnewman30 2009-01-13 6:35 PM
2009-01-13 6:47 PM
in reply to: #1905647

tlnewman30 - 2009-01-13 7:33 PM

EightmanVT - 2009-01-13 2:35 PM Wow - That ended up being really long Embarassed Hard to tell when you're just typing away in a 3 inch tall window. I promise most of my posts won't be nearly as annoying.

Never annoying, it gives everybody in the forum a basis on where you come from and how you think. Don't worry about the long posts.

Hehe - Thanks.  Insight into "how I think"...you guys'll be recommending a different type of "mentoring" altogether.

Swam tonight - had planned on doing 30 - but there was a girl "coaching" a couple of people in drills - so I asked to participate in a couple - which took more time but shortened my distance.  Still got about 21 in.  Gym is a madhouse right now with the New Years folks - that has trickled over to the pool as well. 

2009-01-13 7:11 PM
in reply to: #1905651

User image

Champion
sent a message your way about the coaching, check message near the login part of the screen (should show up red in the numbe of them you have).

deff hear you on the contact sports, i played hockey for a very long time and went back to play a few pickup games last year, that wrecked me!
2009-01-14 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Hey everyone, after being sick for a bit over one week, I am back at it again.

Has anyone kept track of our final members? 

2009-01-14 11:06 AM

So - what's the best way to use this group?  Any comments on my current training?  I still don't have a bike - planning to purchase in the next month or so. I'd love to get in a swimming discussion - since it's something I've been trying to improve.  I've only been a lap swimmer since the end of August...so...as you can imagine - I have plenty of room for improvement.

2009-01-14 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1907046

User image

Champion
for the most part, in this group and in the past one i helped with, the best few things you can walk away with are:

a place to bounce ideas off of others in here, its always good to have more than one opinion, and we all come from diff backgrounds, thus someone in here is bound to know more about one area of training than another.

hopefully i can help answer any questions you may have.

its a great form of motivation knowing there are other people following your progress.

that said, i am starting to go through peoples logs, if they would like feedback on stuff, just let me know.

Malcom, i till take a look at your logs later tonight (if there is naything there yet), if they are empty right now, let me know what your current swimming, or any swimming you have done before looks like and we'll go from there.

for those that dont swim much, or have not in a long time, this is a great time of year to build that into a focus and give it some extra attention.

Thomas, good to see you are back with the living. i belive we are 5 more than we started with, but a few have not checked back sense that first post.
2009-01-14 1:05 PM

Ahhh... Yes - The logs.  Ok...I'll try to go figure that part of the site out - hopefully today.  Today is one of my favorite workout days - the off day. Laughing  Get to sleep in until 6:45 - felt great!!
2009-01-14 4:35 PM

Extreme Veteran

What's the difference between a mentor and a coach? 

Hi to all of the newbies. 

I dropped 1 lb this week.  I weighed in on Wednesday last week so I'll keep weighing in on that day.  A pound is good for me, hopefully it will be 2 next week.  I need to eat better and drink less on the weekend. 

Kelly 

2009-01-14 8:02 PM
in reply to: #1908116

User image

Champion
in my mind,

the diff between the two is:

a mentor is someone who gives advice, shares experinces, passes what he/she knows along, is there when you need somene lese to talk to, bounce ideas off of, etc.

A coach is there with the responsibility of making your faster, getting you to your goals, providing the framework for improvment, has a vested interest in your grouth.

i hear you, today is my first day off in a while:-) and have three solid weeks coming up, so i am deff enjoying this!!!
2009-01-14 10:55 PM
in reply to: #1908488

User image

Champion
its still snowing here:-( up to 10 inch sense this morning.

2009-01-14 11:34 PM

New user

I too am just getting over a nice spell of food poisoning, and it felt great to get back at it today. I'm back at school now, but the weather is ridiculous. It's currently 3 degrees in Milwaukee, and its going to hit -30 wind chill tonight. 

I am currently 150lbs, which is where I would like to stay. The food poisoning definitely gave me an unfair advantage, but the weekends will be a big test to see whether I can stay at 150 despite the state past time of drinking.

2009-01-14 11:55 PM
in reply to: #1908796

User image

Champion
hahahahahaha.
2009-01-15 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1908488

newbz - 2009-01-14 9:02 PM  i hear you, today is my first day off in a while:-) and have three solid weeks coming up, so i am deff enjoying this!!!

Wow!!  Do you train without days off?  I need to figure out the tools on here, I'm assuming I can see your training logs.  I feel like it's a struggle to get in the training I do now...

2009-01-15 10:58 AM

Just checking out the log feature on the site.  Very cool.  I'm going to put in this week's activities just to provide a feel for what I do, or try to do.  Don't remember all the times/specifics...but they should be close. Yes - I suck at running.
2009-01-15 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1909592

User image

Champion
depending on the time of year/goals i train between 8 and 18 days between days off. seems to work best for me so that i can get in the training i need.

the logs are pretty easy once you get used to them, on a basic level of just putting in the workuots its fast, and if you want there are a ton more details you can add (for the most part i dont mess with those, i simply log the workout and time/distance).

if you want to be able to see other people without searching everytime:

go to your profile/log

on the left side there is a button that says control panel, looks like a calendar, click that.

there will be a list along the top, click on friends, and add all the people you want to have shown in your training log (they will apear under the logs on the left.)

once you do that, scroll down and hit apply, and you will have a direct link to anyone you ad.

2009-01-15 9:34 PM

Extreme Veteran

Took the earlier advice on getting new shoes every 300 miles or so.  I'm sure mine had at least that many.  I was thinking that mine were still fine, the wear was even and they still felt good. 

I got the same make and model as my old ones and did a comparison.  I was amazed at how much they were actually worn down.  I put in a quick 2 miles today, and I felt great.  Maybe it was a coincidence but maybe it was the shoes. 

2009-01-15 9:55 PM
in reply to: #1911114

User image

Champion
good to hear about the run!

i love running in new shoes, sadly i dont get to as much as i would like.

its amazing the diff it can make, you think your pair if fine, put on a new pair, and then you see how trashed the old ones were!

2009-01-16 7:07 AM
in reply to: #1911175

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Looks like I should new shoes year.  I was going to go with the old ones but see that I have 700 miles between two pairs.
2009-01-16 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1911414

User image

Champion
ouch, yeah i would look at a new pair in there soon. good time to start getting in some running to help out this season
2009-01-16 11:24 AM

Let's get this group moving!  Is everyone on West Coast time or something? Laughing

Bikes - I still don't have one - but am planning to start looking next week.  I just joined the MidMdTri club, in large part, because the physical therapist I went to for the first time on Thurs, told me they were doing winter and spring group rides.  That sounds fun to me - although - I'm going to need it to warm up just a tad. 

Based on the very little research I've done - I'll probably go with a road bike.  Any key features I should be looking at?  Any lessons learned from you folks that have spent a lot of time on a bike?

2009-01-16 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1912214

User image

Champion
for the bike:

there are two main types of components, campy and shimano. almost all bikes you get here will have shimano on them. look for 105 or above (their levels are: tigra and sora, 105, ultegra, and dura-ace). the last three are solid good parts, the first two unless you are riding once or twice a week are gonna break on you at some point.
almost anything from just about entry level up will have at least 105 on it.

go to a good shop in your area, explain that you are interested in getting into cycling/triathlon, and see what they offer. do indeed stick with a road bike for the first one, you will be much happier this way.

have them fit you to a bike (if you buy the bike their they will refund this cost into your bike purchase, noramlly for a road bike 50-75 dollars, and ensures you are on a bike that fits you well, and will not cause knee or other issues down the road). not all bikes of the same size fit the same, just like shoes or clothes, a 52 from one company is not the same as anothers 52.

any of the major brands will be good as long as it fits.
start looking at websites and the websites of local stores to see whats out there.

the names to look for are: cervelo, trek, giant, fuji, look, specalized, felt, kouta, pinerallo, scott.
many others as well.
2009-01-16 12:10 PM

Excellent info!  Thanks!  I plan on doing just that - heading to a cycle shop nearby and picking their brains.  Definitely want one that fits my frame 6'2" or 6'3" depending on who's measuring.  I think I've shrunk!!  Also want a comfortable saddle - if there was one thing I hate about sitting on a bike - it's the saddle.  For obvious reasons!  It's usually all I can handle on the large cushioned bikes at the gym - 45min is about my limit.

2009-01-16 12:59 PM

User image

New user

Happy Friday everyone!

So I jumped in the pool last night for the first time in over a year. The workout was not too bad- I swam 46 laps in 30 minutes. My tri is short- so the swim is only 0.25 miles. I calculated that to be about 18 laps in the pool. Does that sound right? My plan is to start increasing the number of laps I do without stopping. I took it easy last night- esp. since I was sharing a lane with two others. I find it challanging to do flip turns with others is such close proximity. Which leads me to a few questions on ettiquette in the pool.

1. Is it common to ask before sharing a lane? One lady waited until I stopped to ask if she could jump in. Another just started swimming with us and never said a word.

2. I wanted to do mix up my strokes and do a little backstroke (my stroke when I was on the swim team as a kid) but I felt like I might bump into someone since we were sharing.  Is that a no-no?

3. For the tri- do people swim freestryle the whole thing or is it ok to take a break and do a little breast stroke in between?

Thanks!!!

2009-01-16 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1912525

User image

Champion
as a non swimmer, i would love to do other strokes, i think it is prob better for you in the long run. that said, i am not going to start doing others until someone shows me how to do it right.

if you can do other strokes without crashing into people, i say go for it.

is your pool in yards or meters? if its meters, (50m pool), its going to be 4 laps/8 lengths
if its in yards it will either be 400yrds (just under a quarter mile), or 450 yrds which is just over in that case it will be either: 8 laps/16 legnths or like you said 9 laps/ 18 lengths.

mix up the swimming, get in some shorter faster stuff. i too had issues doing flipturns with others in the pool took some serious getting used too.

I normally wait and ask people before i get in their lane, but if they look like they know what they are doing i tend to just get in on the side (the gym i use is more recreational, so i wait to ask most poeple).

Schmitty - 2009-01-16 12:59 PM

Happy Friday everyone!

So I jumped in the pool last night for the first time in over a year. The workout was not too bad- I swam 46 laps in 30 minutes. My tri is short- so the swim is only 0.25 miles. I calculated that to be about 18 laps in the pool. Does that sound right? My plan is to start increasing the number of laps I do without stopping. I took it easy last night- esp. since I was sharing a lane with two others. I find it challanging to do flip turns with others is such close proximity. Which leads me to a few questions on ettiquette in the pool.

1. Is it common to ask before sharing a lane? One lady waited until I stopped to ask if she could jump in. Another just started swimming with us and never said a word.

2. I wanted to do mix up my strokes and do a little backstroke (my stroke when I was on the swim team as a kid) but I felt like I might bump into someone since we were sharing.  Is that a no-no?

3. For the tri- do people swim freestryle the whole thing or is it ok to take a break and do a little breast stroke in between?

Thanks!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz winter training group is FULL!!!!! Rss Feed  

of 20