BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bob Stocks' Group - Full for now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2008-12-31 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1879419

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Bob Stocks' Group - Full for now!
nevergivin - 2008-12-31 9:30 AM

A GU Buffet, how funny!

I'm just starting to experiment with GU and other gels to find out what I like and what my max calories are during run and bike. I will admit it is a bit confusing as there are soo many different opinions and options. In the past I have used a Nathan 4x belt with just Gatorade or GU20 on anything over 10 miles on my runs, longest has been 13 miles and all have been without gels. Typically on my bike rides  up to 4 hours I will have a 24 oz bottle of GU20 and one gel an hour,I have done one ride over 8 hours using the same formula. I dont use water at all and gels very seldom, where should I start training my nutrition for my upcomming 1/2 and full in August?  I will be using race course to supply nutrition, Im just looking for some guidance or starting point with calorie range and options,any help?

This is a great time to start thinking about nutrition and hydration. This will be different for everyone and I'm definitely not a nutritionist but will tell you what has worked for me in training and in races without turning this post into a novel.

Let start with hydration. It's pretty easy to figure your sweat rate. Weigh yourself when you are hydrated, dry and naked then go for a 30 min run with no fluids. Dry off and weigh yourself naked again and double the number to figure out your weight loss per hour. 1 pound is approx 1 pt of water loss so 3 lbs per hour = 48 oz of fluid per hour. (This is about the point that most people realize that they are not hydrating enough. )

Your workload will determine your calories burned per hour but it's most likely going to be more than your body can absorb per hour, which is 300-400 cal/hr.  You usually burn more calories running than you do biking and can usually absorb more calories biking than you can running. (This is why it is so important to take in the majority of your calories on the bike ride during a 1/2 or full IM.)

Let's try to apply this to a 90 min run. Using the 3 lbs/hr fluid loss above you're going to lose 72 oz of fluid during the run or 3 large water bottles. Trying to get 300 cals/hr or or 450 cals for a 90 min run you will need 4 gels or 3 gels and a bottle of Gatorade.

On a 90 min run I will fill 1 10 oz flask with 4 gels and dilute it with water, another 10 oz flask with Gatorade Endurance and carry 1 24 oz water bottle. This gives me 44 oz of fluid and about 450 cals for the 90 minutes. If I'm hydrated before I start and hydrate after this works great and my sugar level never drops.

During my first marathon it felt like I was constantly eating or drinking, which kept my mind off the fact that I was running 26 miles!! Here's a link to the RR for that race, I have to say that I had more energy at the end of that race than I new what to do with and I had a 5k PR in the last 3.1 miles of the race. Pocono Marathon

2008-12-31 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1858312

User image

Modesto, California
This sounds like what I have been reading and have seen on race reports, you broke the method down allot better for me. Problem is I'm not even close,the  last 90 min run I did I only took in 40 oz of Gatorade and I think one gel. I will weigh myself this weekend when I do my long run and bike, and see what I come up with. My long run will be 11 miles and my bike will be 52-ish. I have weighed myself in the past and its generally a 2-3 pound loss. Also I will read your RR, Thanks!
2008-12-31 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Thanks Bob - that's definitely something I need to work on this year.  Last year I just decided to wing it, and I didn't have nearly the energy I should have during the Olympic races I did.
2008-12-31 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1879529

User image

New Haven, CT
rstocks3 - 2008-12-31 10:18 AM
nevergivin - 2008-12-31 9:30 AM

A GU Buffet, how funny!

I'm just starting to experiment with GU and other gels to find out what I like and what my max calories are during run and bike. I will admit it is a bit confusing as there are soo many different opinions and options. In the past I have used a Nathan 4x belt with just Gatorade or GU20 on anything over 10 miles on my runs, longest has been 13 miles and all have been without gels. Typically on my bike rides  up to 4 hours I will have a 24 oz bottle of GU20 and one gel an hour,I have done one ride over 8 hours using the same formula. I dont use water at all and gels very seldom, where should I start training my nutrition for my upcomming 1/2 and full in August?  I will be using race course to supply nutrition, Im just looking for some guidance or starting point with calorie range and options,any help?

This is a great time to start thinking about nutrition and hydration. This will be different for everyone and I'm definitely not a nutritionist but will tell you what has worked for me in training and in races without turning this post into a novel.

Let start with hydration. It's pretty easy to figure your sweat rate. Weigh yourself when you are hydrated, dry and naked then go for a 30 min run with no fluids. Dry off and weigh yourself naked again and double the number to figure out your weight loss per hour. 1 pound is approx 1 pt of water loss so 3 lbs per hour = 48 oz of fluid per hour. (This is about the point that most people realize that they are not hydrating enough. )

Your workload will determine your calories burned per hour but it's most likely going to be more than your body can absorb per hour, which is 300-400 cal/hr.  You usually burn more calories running than you do biking and can usually absorb more calories biking than you can running. (This is why it is so important to take in the majority of your calories on the bike ride during a 1/2 or full IM.)

Let's try to apply this to a 90 min run. Using the 3 lbs/hr fluid loss above you're going to lose 72 oz of fluid during the run or 3 large water bottles. Trying to get 300 cals/hr or or 450 cals for a 90 min run you will need 4 gels or 3 gels and a bottle of Gatorade.

On a 90 min run I will fill 1 10 oz flask with 4 gels and dilute it with water, another 10 oz flask with Gatorade Endurance and carry 1 24 oz water bottle. This gives me 44 oz of fluid and about 450 cals for the 90 minutes. If I'm hydrated before I start and hydrate after this works great and my sugar level never drops.

During my first marathon it felt like I was constantly eating or drinking, which kept my mind off the fact that I was running 26 miles!! Here's a link to the RR for that race, I have to say that I had more energy at the end of that race than I new what to do with and I had a 5k PR in the last 3.1 miles of the race. Pocono Marathon

Bob - awesome post.  That is very helpful.  Ihave been undershooting calories, at 200 per hour.  using sports drink + gels seems like a good way to get them without too many gels.  I am gunning for my first 26.2 in oct. '09 and I'll definitely experiment with your fomula.  thanks.

2008-12-31 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran
SC
I think Bob makes a good point stating fluid/nutrition intake is very individualistic.   I have to be very careful about the fluids and gels I take in during a race.  I've found if I take in too much fluid, especially during the run, it's going to come back.  Stoping to puke really, really sucks!  If I took in as much fluid and gels as Bob does during a 90 minute run I would hurl up my toenails.  I have also discovered that my body responds different in a race as compared to a training run/ride.  My max fluid intake running is about 15 - 20 oz/hour.  Much more than that and I'm feeding the ants! 
2008-12-31 3:49 PM

User image

Modesto, California

Some other questions I had related to comfort. How do you prevent blisters on the run during an Ironman, I'm anticipating very hot weather for the one I'm doing. Do people just apply Bodyglide and hope for the best or do they do a sock changout at special needs and avoid hosedowns? Also is it safe to assume most people change into bike shorts after the swim?

2008-12-31 6:26 PM
in reply to: #1880252

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA

Lo-Daddy - 2008-12-31 4:05 PM I think Bob makes a good point stating fluid/nutrition intake is very individualistic.   I have to be very careful about the fluids and gels I take in during a race.  I've found if I take in too much fluid, especially during the run, it's going to come back.  Stoping to puke really, really sucks!  If I took in as much fluid and gels as Bob does during a 90 minute run I would hurl up my toenails.  I have also discovered that my body responds different in a race as compared to a training run/ride.  My max fluid intake running is about 15 - 20 oz/hour.  Much more than that and I'm feeding the ants! 

I definitely agree with the individuality of fluid intake.  I also cannot take in many fluids while running, unless it is really hot/humid.  My regular intake on an average weather day is about 20 oz/hour.  I only use Infinit for nutrition intake and supplement with extra Infinit or water if it is really hot/humid.  My calorie intake is 215 calories/hour with a ton of electrolytes, since I am a salty sweater.

2008-12-31 6:29 PM
in reply to: #1880325

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA
nevergivin - 2008-12-31 4:49 PM

Some other questions I had related to comfort. How do you prevent blisters on the run during an Ironman, I'm anticipating very hot weather for the one I'm doing. Do people just apply Bodyglide and hope for the best or do they do a sock changout at special needs and avoid hosedowns? Also is it safe to assume most people change into bike shorts after the swim?

I can help with how to avoid blisters while running.  My advice is to not wear socks or sneakers.  I run mostly in Vibram FiveFingers or at times completely barefoot.  I haven't had a blister on my feet in a couple of years and I completed a multiple half-marathons in that time.

Maybe Bob or someone else with have more useful information if you insist on running in socks and sneakers.  

2008-12-31 6:29 PM

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA

Happy New Year, everyone!

(I know it's early, but I'll be asleep at midnight.)

2009-01-01 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
SC

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year's Eve.  Is anyone racing today or this weekend? 

2009-01-01 7:58 AM
in reply to: #1880851

User image

New Haven, CT

Happy New Year!! What's on tap today, the beginning of our little weight loss challenge (I'll post my 1/1/09 weight tonight).  I have a 2500 yrd swim and maybe 30-60 on the trainer tonight after wifey and kids are asleep while watching football.  Anyone have a favorite trainer workout to recommend?

Jeff

2009-01-01 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Happy New Year, everyone! I'm getting ready to go on a group ride in a little bit--probably 30 miles and am also hitting the pool today. My challenge this month (Bob-this one is for you) is to make it to the pool 20 times this month. No time like the present to begin!

Okay, after a  BIG dinner and a couple of drinks last night and snacks, my starting weight is 138. Time to move that back down to 130. No more Ironman weight. No time like the present.

2009-01-01 9:58 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Sounds like some of you are getting things done today, that's great! 20 times in the pool is a challenge in itself Aimee nice goal. I need to make that one myself.

I went and got fat over the holidays and am in need of this weight challenge and the structure of a caoch to bring my arse back into triathlete mode!

Good luck to anyone racing today and train smart to those training!! BTW - It's 6 degrees and windy as hell outside here today!! I may try to find a pool myself! 

2009-01-01 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1880872

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
jsklarz - 2009-01-01 8:58 AM

Happy New Year!! What's on tap today, the beginning of our little weight loss challenge (I'll post my 1/1/09 weight tonight).  I have a 2500 yrd swim and maybe 30-60 on the trainer tonight after wifey and kids are asleep while watching football.  Anyone have a favorite trainer workout to recommend?

Jeff

Here's a trainer workout from last winter. Feel free to look over my logs from last year.  There are a lot of good trainer workouts.

10' Spin warm-up, working to 100+ RPM
5x[30"single leg drills +1' regular…do R, L, Both)
10' z2 focusing specifically on the bottom of your stroke (scrap mud off your shoes)
10' z2 focusing specifically on the top (log rolling, pushing toes down the tongue of your shoe)
10' z2 focusing on lifting (burn in the hamstrings)
10' z2 efficient circles, full pedal stroke
ALL these should be between 90-100RPM
5' Fast effort Z4 (good relaxed technique)
10' Easy CD, working to z1
2009-01-01 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Happy New Year everyone! Cool

20 times to the pool - that's an excellent goal!

My official 1/1 starting weight is 187.6.  Thanks Bob!

Just curious about that hydration system, and how you like it compared to a typical bottle between the aero bars (i.e. profile design)?

2009-01-01 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1881089

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
willie05 - 2009-01-01 12:16 PM

Happy New Year everyone! Cool

20 times to the pool - that's an excellent goal!

My official 1/1 starting weight is 187.6.  Thanks Bob!

Just curious about that hydration system, and how you like it compared to a typical bottle between the aero bars (i.e. profile design)?

I love the NeverReach system. I only use it for water and the 64 oz capacity takes me a loooong way before I need to refill. The refill cap makes it easy to fill on the fly during races, although at B2B last year the water dumped out when I layed the bike down to fix a flat. DOH!!! 

2009-01-01 12:24 PM

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA

My starting weight for the challenge is 167 pounds.

I started the morning off with a 3000 yd swim this morning (after waiting in the parking lot for the gym to open).  I am hoping for some quality trainer time this afternoon while watching Penn State destroy USC in the Rose Bowl.

I don't usually make New Year's resolutions; however, I need to get more of this extra weight off before Eagleman in June and step up the intensity of my training, so I can finish in a respectable time.  (My goal is to comfortably finish ahead of cut-off times.)

Also, I registered for a couple more races this week.  I registered for the Philadelphia Women's Triathlon (sprint) in July, the SheRox Philadelphia Triathlon (sprint) in August, and the Philadelphia Distance Run (13.1 mile) in September.  Now, I just need to register for the Broad Street Run (10 miler, May) and the Philadelphia Marathon (November), but neither of those registrations are open yet.  That would round out my race schedule for next year.

2009-01-01 4:03 PM

User image

Modesto, California
My weight today was 186, after my group ride today it was 184. Ill start the challenge at 186. Back to the pool tommorow after almost 2 weeks, should be ugly!
2009-01-01 7:42 PM

User image

New Haven, CT

1/1/09 weight: 225.5

3/1/09 goal: 215

I hate chocolate, french fries and beer.  They suck.  Really.

2009-01-01 11:00 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

Ok I'm posting my weight as I.....eat a toffee chocolate chip cookie my wife made last night.  It really isn't that good, I should probably spit it out.  Ooh well it's gone, and it was good!

1/1/2009 176 pounds

Goal:  165

2009-01-02 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I have a new incentive to get my weight off and have a great season - I signed up for Savageman! Surprised

www.savagemantri.org

2009-01-02 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1882332

User image

Modesto, California
willie05 - 2009-01-02 5:26 AM

I have a new incentive to get my weight off and have a great season - I signed up for Savageman! Surprised

www.savagemantri.org

Sounds like a blast, Ill be doing Wildflower as a kick in the butt race!

Went to the pool after a 2 week layoff and had a great workout, however, my suit shrank!I could barely get it on, almost needed body glide!!!!!!!!!!!!

2009-01-02 3:22 PM

User image

New Haven, CT

Question on bike cadence

I have a Garmin 305 set ot arrive monday or tuesday.  If anyone knows, can I use this as a power/cadence meter with my bike trainer if I get the bike hook up kit?  Even assuming I can, do I want to or jsut get a computer intalled on the bike (if so, what should I get)?

2009-01-02 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1883067

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
jsklarz - 2009-01-02 4:22 PM

Question on bike cadence

I have a Garmin 305 set ot arrive monday or tuesday.  If anyone knows, can I use this as a power/cadence meter with my bike trainer if I get the bike hook up kit?  Even assuming I can, do I want to or jsut get a computer intalled on the bike (if so, what should I get)?

I don't believe you can use the Garmin to track distance on the trainer even with the bike hook up. I have a Cateye wireless that I'll bring down to you on Sunday. I snapped the cadence sensor off with my shoelace and the wireless feature failed on me a few times so I bagged it. It should work on the trainer though.

You will love the Garmin and the BT link to upload workouts.

2009-01-02 6:57 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

How's everyon's 2009 going so far? I woke up this morning with the intention of doing 100 x 100 @ 1:30 in the pool but got sidetracked by MarioKart. Still managed to get a decent swim in, maybe I'll save the 10K yd workout for Feb 28th to end the weight loss challenge.

With a couple other people in the pool I wasn't thinking about much to pass on. I was focusing on keeping a low stroke count and front quadrant swimming. I reached a point on my 125's that no matter how hard or how easy I swam I hit the wall at the same time. So I swam easy and efficient. Why waste the energy.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bob Stocks' Group - Full for now! Rss Feed  

of 26