BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-02-09 1:07 PM
in reply to: #1951953

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: RE: tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now)
cjhild - 2009-02-09 1:36 AM

Hey guys, check out my race log for the Redlands tri.  It was an absolute blast.  I was really looking forward to race day and it did not disappoint.  I am really excited to get back to my training.  Before, training could be tough sometimes but now that I have experienced the excitement of race day I cannot wait to get back to it.  Training before my first race was somewhat nebulous, not having any idea what I was going to experience, but now I cannot wait to work to improve my performance.  Good times.

great job on your first triathlon!  Even though the weather did not cooperate it sounds like you enjoyed yourself and your hard work payed off.  good job.

2009-02-09 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1952438

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
NYC_Meg - 2009-02-09 11:13 AM

Since I've started training for the tri's I'm running more and farther than I ever thought I'd be able to. A friend of mine that I run with is starting to train for a half marathon and asked me to do it with her.

I think it's feasible to train for both the half marathon and an olympic tri at the same time. 1/2 marathon is in April, Sprint tri in May and Olympic in July.

My question is, will the increased running training be a bad thing for my tri training? I'll have to get up to 10+ miles to train for the 1/2 marathon.

I am planning on doing a half marathon in early April as well before an Olympic I have scheduled in mid May.  It is more something to look forward to and a "by-product" of my triathlon training as a whole.  I am currently running 3x /week , bike 2x, swim 2x and will keep it this way until March 1 when I start my HIM plan and all go to 3x/week.  Like Matt said though, swimming is great for active recovery.  To answer your question, I think it is definitely feasible to do the half marathon and if your Olympic is in July you should be able to adequately prepare for it by then - you will already have a great running base and can just maintain that while you work on the other two leading up to the Oly.

Ryan

2009-02-09 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1869304

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Talk about getting the endurance bug, I am looking at laying out my race schedule for the year.  Right now I have a sprint on March 8th and nothing scheduled after that.  I was thinking about this for the rest of the year:

March 8th- sprint tri (lake swim)

May 24th- local 10k

July 26th- sprint tri (ocean swim)

September 19th- sprint tri (lake swim)

Originally I was planning on building to an olympic tri this year, but right now I am thinking about sticking with sprints this year.  I have not totally made up my mind on that, but after reading the "10 things I learned" thread I feel like I don't want to burn myself out.  I too tend to go overboard on stuff till I get sick of it too soon.  I am thinking the spacing I have here will keep me on a nice pace for each race and maintain my excitement for training and racing. 

What do you guys think?

2009-02-09 1:27 PM
in reply to: #1952852

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

rymac - 2009-02-09 11:07 AM

great job on your first triathlon!  Even though the weather did not cooperate it sounds like you enjoyed yourself and your hard work payed off.  good job.

Thanks Ryan.  Yeah, I was bummed all week long about the forecasted rain, felt like it was going to "ruin" my first tri.  But when I got there it was not a big deal.  Of course it was different than sunny skies, but made my first tri somewhat unique having to battle the rain (especially on the bike).  I was not down on the weather at all the day of the race.  I can't wait for my next one in March!

2009-02-11 9:18 PM

User image

Regular
Miami Fl

I decided don't train today.I felt so tired,without energy for the last days. I'm trainig 4 or 5 days a week from August. Could be overtrainig? How can I know that? Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks ANDRES

Edited by ampryler 2009-02-11 9:20 PM
2009-02-12 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1958011

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
ampryler - 2009-02-11 10:18 PM

I decided don't train today.I felt so tired,without energy for the last days. I'm trainig 4 or 5 days a week from August. Could be overtrainig? How can I know that? Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks ANDRES

The best indicators of overtraining are your mood and HR vs RPE. If you find yourself irritable, having mood swings or just more grumpy than usual...there's a good chance you're overtraining. 

Also if your HR is VERY low and you feel like you're working hard, there's a good chance you need rest. Don't confuse this with being in shape and making progress though.

Your body will tell you when you need to take some days off, or just take it easy. Listen to your body the first time, if you ignore it odds are you'll end up getting sick or injured and be forced to rest.

2009-02-12 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1958011

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
ampryler - 2009-02-11 7:18 PM

Thanks ANDRES

I am too new to offer any advice, but hang in there!  A couple of days during my training last month I just did not feel up to getting out there.  I tried to not be so hard on myself about it, just get back to it once you are ready.

2009-02-12 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

What are you guys going to be doing for the weekend?

There is supposed to be some weather coming and it will be cold.  I am planning this:

Friday- bike ride (early ride, getting my taxes done in the am)

Saturday- day off (kid's basketball games all day)

Sunday- bike ride (early ride, going to a Ducks game in the afternoon)

Monday- run (plan to get the run in early then relax the rest of the day)

I am hoping the weather does not get in my way.  You guys have a great weekend.

2009-02-12 7:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

Looks like a nice weekend you've got lined up Justin!

We're supposed to have decent weather on Long Island so I'm scheduled for:

Friday: sleep in! 4400m swim after work, immediately followed by 50 min run (should be about 7.5 miles)

Saturday: 40 min easy recovery ride & core workout

Sunday: 2 hour run (will be at least 15 miles) in the morning & 1500m recovery swim in the afternoon

have a great weekend everyone!

2009-02-13 8:15 AM
in reply to: #1958447

User image

Regular
Miami Fl
Thanks Matt for the advice. I'm gonna take some days before to come back to train. Anyway I don't have any race coming soon.
2009-02-16 9:43 PM

I haven't started officially "training" for the oly tri I'm doing in july, but I was curious about when I do start, what distances I should be training to.

I can currently swim the 1500 yards, and run the 6 miles for the olympic distance. The biking....well I've never biked more than 15 miles maybe, so I've got some work to do there.

Should I be swimming much more than 1500 yrds when I train, same for the run of 6 miles and bike of 26? Or is it more just putting them together a few times a week?

2009-02-17 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1965587

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

Meg,

You'll want to overtrain on the distances. Although the swim is 1500m, in open water we rarely swim the exact course.  Also, when you put everything together it's much different than just going out for a stand alone ride or run.

Your best bet is to get a training plan. The free BT plans are great and will give you the structure you need to succeed. The number of hours and specific distances you train will depend on your goals for the race. The fast you want to go, the more you'll need to put in.

2009-02-18 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Hope everyone's week is going good. Still waiting patiently for some consistent weather here in Wisconsin so I can get outside more. 
2009-02-19 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Went out for a ride today, beautiful weather.  Planned on putting in 1.5 hours.  I road through a patch of goat heads on a tiny dirt section so I could hit the walk button to get across a busy highway.  Picked 15 goat heads out of my front and back tires.  Came up with two flats, I only had one spare tube and one c02 cartridge.  I was able to limp to my mom's work and she gave me a ride home.  I only got in 30 minutes.  Kind of frustrated about it.  I will now carry two spares and two co2s, I just don't have a ton of room in my saddle bag.

Anybody watching the Tour of Cali?  Saw Kim Kirchen break his collar bone yesterday, I can sympathize with that.  Ouch.

2009-02-20 7:51 PM

cjhild- that stinks about your ride. I have no idea what a goat head is. Unless you mean actual heads off goats, in that case, where ever you live, I will not visit Laughing

Your unfortunate experience does bring up a good question, what do you all keep in your bike bags?

mine is tiny, I really need to upgrade, I keep 1 tube, the tool to take the tire off and $20. I live in NYC, so wherever I ride, I can usually flag down a cab and hope that my bike would fit in the trunk or since I ride in NYC and there are lots of other riders, someone usually just gives me a tube if I don't have one.

I have a mini pump that I strap on my frame too, so I don't use the CO2 cartrigdes, are they easy to use?

Another bike question, do you guys have a few cages for water bottles? I currently only have 1, and when I'm going on a really long ride will use my camel back, but that might not be good for race day. would love to hear what you guys do.

Weekend will be COLD here, so only running outside, biking in the spin studio, yuck!

2009-02-20 10:49 PM
in reply to: #1974015

User image

Regular
Miami Fl

Hi NYC Meg

Personally I have two carbon cages and two 20 oz insulated bottles for my long rides. You can get them in very good price on ebay(the cages) the bottles I got it in a bike store close to my house. For the race day I don't recommend you go with a camel back,you want to be more comfortable possible during the bike to finish in good shape for the run. 

And about the spare I'm also carry just one, the tools and one CO2 cartdrige. Normally I'm training around a golf course just 5 minutes of my house, if something happend I can walk back or call to my wife for a ride.

2009-02-20 10:57 PM

User image

Regular
Miami Fl

I don't think I'll have time to workout this weekend. I have a lot of work and I can't say "NO" in this time. Hopefully I can do better during the week.

Have a great weekend to everyone and take care outside !!! See you around BT.

2009-02-21 8:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

hey everyone! sorry I haven't been around too much, i'm heading into my last week of work so things have been crazy. tomorrow will be better for me to get updates and tips out there.

My saddle bag typically contains 2 tubes, 2 CO2's, one tire lever, 2 $1 bills (in case I slice a tire). Then in a jersey pocket I carry my license, medical insurance cards, money for emergencies and important phone numbers. My saddle bag is pretty small, I'll try and post some pics of it.

As for hydration, on my tri bike I use one bottle on my frame and an aerodrink. If it's very hot or I'm riding super long, I'll just stop and fill up at a gas station or local gym...they usually don't mind.

I hope everyones training is going well. Keep up the great questions everyone....Justin, I'll get back to your PM tonight or tomorrow morning!

2009-02-21 8:22 PM
in reply to: #1974015

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

I have no idea what a goat head is. Unless you mean actual heads off goats, in that case, where ever you live, I will not visit Laughing

I wish it were a head off a goat, at least I might have a fighting chance!

Not my pic, but you will get the idea.

(goathead.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
goathead.jpg (43KB - 9 downloads)
2009-02-21 8:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Meg- I have found the CO2 cartridges easy to use once I made the two big errors I think you can make with them.  First time I used it I was on a MTB ride and came up with a flat.  I only had one cartridge and that was not enough to fill up the MTB tube, so I started carrying two for my MTB rides.  Then a couple weeks back for some reason I was thinking that I would need a full cartridge for the tube inside the slick tire on my MTB and blew the whole cartridge in there till it popped my tire.  DOH!  So now I know to have at least two for my MTB and go slowly when filling up the slick tire.

Moving on, I have two cages and only bring one water bottle for medium length rides right now, once the weather heats up I will start bringing two.  I have tried a camel back a couple of times and I just cannot get used to the feeling of having a backpack on when I am riding.  Saw Hincapie with one on for his TT though, that was interesting.

It is pretty lonely on the bike where I ride, so not much chance of borrowing a tube.  I don't bring cash as I am usually not close to stores when I ride (how do you fix a sliced tire with a $1 Matt?).  I now have in my saddle bag: two tubes, two CO2, CO2 pump, two tire levers, house key, and cell phone.

No worries Matt, when you get around to it.

2009-02-22 12:18 AM

User image

Veteran

With the bike, i have a frame pump (im not good with the co2), two tubes if im on a long ride but one for sure, and i have two water bottle cages.  also the $1 dollar bill, a power bar wrapper works good too.  Hydration is the key for biking longer distances.  I also have a handle bar bag for food on longer trips.

For me in wisconsin, its all country roads so i always have license, cell phone, and emergency numbers.  If i get a flat, i fix it, a second one, fix it, third.....hope im not too far away from home haha.  I also tell my fiance or roommates where i am heading and the time frames of where i am so in case something happens they know my route. 

For a tip on water bottles on long distance, a gatorade powder or a good drink mix in one and regular water in the other is a good idea.  I use the gatorade powder in one, and that gives me some recovery drink while im out on a long ride and regular water for the other bottle.  

2009-02-23 7:07 PM

User image

Regular
Miami Fl
Hi Everyone
How was your weekend ? I didn't have time to train but finally today I came back after 4 days off.
I will try to work harder this week.
I'm  normally ride with gatorade or propel in one bottle and just water in the second one. I'm carry my cell phone,house keys and license. And for the long rides sometimes a power bar or/and banana.

Edited by ampryler 2009-02-23 7:15 PM
2009-02-23 11:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Four days off is nice, hope you enjoyed it Andres.

My german shepherd almost bit off my ear this weekend.  Seriously, I thought it was gone.  I was wrestling with one of my daughters on the ground and he comes up and gives my ear a nice tug.  It hurt and I ran to the bathroom to survey the damage.  It was fine, just a little scratch really, but it hurt during my swim this morning.  Upside would have been improved aerodynamics on the bike though if he had gotten it. Smile

2009-02-24 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

My good friend got married this weekend so I slacked a bit, although had fun in the process.  I was able to get a good run on saturday morning but took it easy on sunday.  This was my 4th wedding that I have been in in 6 months including my own...I am keeping Mens Warehouse in business for sure.

I finally got my cadence sensor for my Garmin 305 and put that on last night.  I figured out this morning and reading through old posts on this board, that the distance and speed is severely flawed on the trainer so I will probably just stop putting that stuff in my logs and just go by HR and cadence.  Although, I will be glad to have it on the road.  I love getting new toys!!

2009-02-24 9:19 AM

Hey everyone!  Sounds like you guys had a good weekend.  I'm back from the dead.  Thought I had the flu but turned out it was bronchitis.  It really knocked me down for a week.  We had nice weather this weekend so was able to get outside for a run and a ride.  Unfortunately I got out of breath quickly so had to walk a lot of the run and cut my ride short.  Yesterday I seemed to make better progress at TKD and didn't tire out so quickly.  I'm hoping to last the hour spin class tonight. 

To add to the question about what you bring on your rides. My bag has one tube, one pump, one CO2 cartridge, and tire levers.  I also pack my id, insurance card, cash, and cell phone when I ride.  I am curious about the dollar bill trick a few of you mentioned.  What do you do with that dollar to patch your tire?  As for water, I have one cage, but for longer rides I use my camel back.  I've seen others put two cages on their bikes but I can't seem to fit another one on.  My bike is small since I'm only 5 feet tall. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now) Rss Feed  

of 9