of 12

2009-01-31 10:13 PM
in reply to: #1938784

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
Subject: RE: Jeff's Group - CLOSED
gaiaserver - 2009-01-31 8:02 AM

I took the TI class after trying to do it solely with the videos.  I thought it was totally worth it.  The main reason is because when they guided me to do the proper technique in the pool, I would have never believed that swimming the way they teach would work.  I didnt feel like I was working hard enough....which of course was the basis for my swimming problems in the first place.  Sounds  familiar?  I mean how can you get anywhere with a 3-count flutter kick and NO pulling on your return arm stroke....never thought it would work.  Funny thing is many begineers end up going backwards when they start.

The best story from my class was a 50+ year old guy who swims competitive sprints.  HE was very very resistant to doing anything other than max power quick turnover swimming.  The instructor convinced him (almost threatened him) to try the TI method.  By the weekend close he was faster down the pool with less strokes.  At least he was man enough to admit it.

IRONVIKING - 2009-01-29 4:36 AM

Twerp - 2009-01-28 10:23 PM Hi Y'all! I've been lurking in the background reading all your posts, and learning a ton from the great questions and advice. My Total Immersion book showed up from Amazon yesterday and this morning I hit the pool early, planning to do a few of their balance drills before my scheduled swim workout. On the very first drill (floating on your back, arms at your side, easy flutter kick) I discovered that my balance is horrible! The book warns that often beginners tend to compensate for poor balance by kicking harder...which is exactly what I now think I have been doing. This might help explain why I can work my tail off, going nowhere fast. So, I quickly bagged my planned swim and dedicated my time to working just on balance, trying to keep my body somewhat paralell to the surface. Half the pool water ended up in my nose, next time - nose clips. I'm thinking that I am going to force myself to keep working on balance drills and improving my kick before getting back to my swim plan - does that seem right? It isn't much of a workout, but it seems important to any real improvement. : ) Twerp

Hi lurker. I've seen some of the TI video and know what you mean about balance. I hope all the water's drained out of your head lol. Honestly, I haven't tried the balance drill you described and think I will this weekend just to see . . . The video makes it look so easy and I've tried to copy some of the techniques but don't know that I've got it down. Whenever there's someone swimming faster then me I watch their form underwater and they usually have good rotation. I'm sure there's more to it then I'm trying to do. If TI works for you I'd like to know, I think it would help me too.

I admit I'm interested in TI. I need something that's for sure!

2009-02-01 8:27 PM
in reply to: #1933063

Subject: RE: HELP! I've been sick - Upper Respiratory Infection
Hi guys.

Thanx - you're all so nice!
Went to a different doc on Friday. He definitely listened to me more. The coughing's been outta control. I'm just letting it ride its course, I guess. I bought some cough stuff and other than trying to get rest I try to steam some of it out. It's crappy.

I'm just bummed out. I'm not in as good of shape as the posters I've read I just swim like crazy. Of course swimming's been out of the question this past week.
I'm bitchy and just questioning whether or not I'll make it this year. I'm a newbie and I have so much left to do...god!

Sorry for the crankiness.
2009-02-02 5:12 AM
in reply to: #1878962

New user

Hey Guys!

I just wanted to check in since I haven't posted in awhile.   Training was going great until the end of last week.   Wed is my normal day off and I woke up Thursday to go for a run sick.   I felt the begining of some kind of throat issue that was running through my house.   Thankfully, I got better in 24 hours and was able to crossfit on Friday morning.    My normal weekend schedule was thrown off because my husband was out of town which meant no training Friday evening.

I would like to say that this is why I didn't train at all this weekend but it really wouldn't be truthful.   I did have a babysitter on Saturday for a few hours and elected to go to a Healthy cooking class (which was awesome) instead of the gym.    Yesterday I probably could have gotten a sitter for a bit but I didn't.   And this morning, I am sitting here typing instead of up on my bike.  I am just not feeling it right now and should be fighting through this....  

Husband comes home tonight and I am resolved to be back in the game and on the plan tomorrow.

Emily

2009-02-02 6:38 AM
in reply to: #1940427

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

butterfly1723 - 2009-02-01 6:27 PM Hi guys. Thanx - you're all so nice! Went to a different doc on Friday. He definitely listened to me more. The coughing's been outta control. I'm just letting it ride its course, I guess. I bought some cough stuff and other than trying to get rest I try to steam some of it out. It's crappy. I'm just bummed out. I'm not in as good of shape as the posters I've read I just swim like crazy. Of course swimming's been out of the question this past week. I'm bitchy and just questioning whether or not I'll make it this year. I'm a newbie and I have so much left to do...god! Sorry for the crankiness.

Just hang in there Margie, it's way too early to give up on things. I can only imagine your frustration and compare it to the elbow tendonitis I was plagued with for several months. I didn't think it would ever get better and lack of training really bothered me too. How did the other doctor help you?

2009-02-02 7:11 AM
in reply to: #1940640

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
efk101603 - 2009-02-02 3:12 AM

Hey Guys!

I just wanted to check in since I haven't posted in awhile.   Training was going great until the end of last week.   Wed is my normal day off and I woke up Thursday to go for a run sick.   I felt the begining of some kind of throat issue that was running through my house.   Thankfully, I got better in 24 hours and was able to crossfit on Friday morning.    My normal weekend schedule was thrown off because my husband was out of town which meant no training Friday evening.

I would like to say that this is why I didn't train at all this weekend but it really wouldn't be truthful.   I did have a babysitter on Saturday for a few hours and elected to go to a Healthy cooking class (which was awesome) instead of the gym.    Yesterday I probably could have gotten a sitter for a bit but I didn't.   And this morning, I am sitting here typing instead of up on my bike.  I am just not feeling it right now and should be fighting through this....  

Husband comes home tonight and I am resolved to be back in the game and on the plan tomorrow.

Emily

Sometimes I feel like the king of excuses when it comes to reasons why I can't work out. I'm certain if I compared my training to others I would be down on myself so I don't compare. Sometimes there are good reasons why you don't feel like training and other times you do have to press on through and do something. The key is knowing the difference. Not running because you felt sick is a good call. Sometimes life doesn't line up the way we'd like and it can throw off training. Other times there's really no good reason not to train. I could list several times this year I didn't do my scheduled workout and the excuses I came up with for not doing them. The same goes for poor food choices. I dragged my feet all morning Saturday and tried to find a good reason for not doing my long run. I didn't have a good reason so I reluctantly went to the track in the afternoon and ended up having a great run. Now I'm jazzed about having more great runs.

There are times where fighting through is what it takes to get some momentum built up. It helps to be honest with yourself, and maybe you could have done something else instead of the cooking class, but really that was also a positive choice. I could have got my stuff together and hit the pool this morning at 5 but didn't. If I would have done that I wouldn't be sitting here offering my opinion and advice. The pool will be there this afternoon and that's when I'll go and I won't beat myself up over it, and hopefully what I say here and now helps.

2009-02-02 9:17 PM

Butterfly,

Hang in there! Think about it this way: this year will pass by no matter what you do, you can train the best you can and improve as much as you can, OR you can keep things the same. My motto is small steps. This past summer I had to walk about half of a 5K, that was kind of my kick in the butt, and slowly but surely I have made fitness gains. I am not fast AT ALL, but I am much fitter than I was and see potential in myself to improve. I am also reading and learning more about the sport and gradually acquiring gear. In a couple of years, we will look back and see how far we have come.

Hope this helps,

Stacy

2009-02-02 9:19 PM
in reply to: #1940668

Hi.

Cranky and stir crazy here.

I need an antibiotic. It just needs to happen. I've been sick for too long. The second doc listened and agreed with what I had to say but no scripts. I'm sitting here coughing my head off and I know what I need. I called my sister tonight b/c I didn't hear from the second doc today after I left a message.

Everybody tells me that I sound like I've smoked 20 packs so it's pretty obvious. I'm not pro-antibiotic but low grade fever, congested, coughing a ton...it's a sinus infection gone wrong.

Ugh.

Sorry for the rants over the past 2 days. Actually I might have some decent advice about swimming.

TTYL
2009-02-02 9:21 PM
in reply to: #1942460

Thanks, Stacy.

Oddly enough I just posted that last rant about the same time you sent me the well wishes, lol.

Just goes to show....

My doctor needs a kick in the pants and I need to get off this roller coaster of sickness and back onto the road of health and training.

Talk soon,

Margie
2009-02-02 9:41 PM
in reply to: #1939489

Ok so I know that I've been a swimmer practically my whole life and so it's sort of natural to me but over the past 2 years I've learned some techniques that have made me more efficient.

I've read a little about TI. I get it but really when you think about it, swimming IS total immersion. All 5 of your senses are totally immersed. Your vision and hearing is reduced to what's almost directly in front and on the sides of you. You taste either chlorine or really bad Lake Michigan water, lol. OK I'd choose the Atlantic Ocean in South FL right now but it's not going to happen. You smell either chlorine or fishy water or the person swimming next to you.

So what does evolution teach us? We aren't fish but could have come from them. So act like one, or better yet watch a dolphin underwater. Are they wiggling around or do they swim smooth? Ok now look at something man made. A boat. Think about an old riverboat. Does it wiggle? How does it move? The paddles churn and make the boat move.

So take those metaphors and get thyself in the pool. Your arms are the paddles. It doesn't matter as much what your arms do outside of the water it's what you do with them under the water that gets your body propelled. Focus on the arms, the elbows, the hands. Are you splashing everytime your arm enters the water for a stroke? If it does that causes drag. Boats don't drag and neither do dolphins.

Think efficient. Think smooth. Think dolphins and boats. Start swimming without using your legs at all, aka a leg float. Think about using your upper body mostly for the swim, the upper quadrant to be exact. Your wet suit so I've been told has a sort of buoyancy in the seat area, so use the float to focus on the upper quadrant. Save your leg strength for the remaining 2/3rds of the tri. And watch Popov so if you think I'm just nuts by now you'll see what I'm seeing, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_nMGiXMZ7s

Arms - close to body, enough out of the way but efficient enough to act as paddles. So do hands. Watch the slo mo and watch 2:51 where he shows the method.

Bye
2009-02-03 1:15 AM
in reply to: #1940686

User image

IRONVIKING - 2009-02-02 4:11 AM

Sometimes I feel like the king of excuses when it comes to reasons why I can't work out. I'm certain if I compared my training to others I would be down on myself so I don't compare. Sometimes there are good reasons why you don't feel like training and other times you do have to press on through and do something. The key is knowing the difference. Not running because you felt sick is a good call. Sometimes life doesn't line up the way we'd like and it can throw off training. Other times there's really no good reason not to train. I could list several times this year I didn't do my scheduled workout and the excuses I came up with for not doing them. The same goes for poor food choices. I dragged my feet all morning Saturday and tried to find a good reason for not doing my long run. I didn't have a good reason so I reluctantly went to the track in the afternoon and ended up having a great run. Now I'm jazzed about having more great runs.

There are times where fighting through is what it takes to get some momentum built up. It helps to be honest with yourself, and maybe you could have done something else instead of the cooking class, but really that was also a positive choice. I could have got my stuff together and hit the pool this morning at 5 but didn't. If I would have done that I wouldn't be sitting here offering my opinion and advice. The pool will be there this afternoon and that's when I'll go and I won't beat myself up over it, and hopefully what I say here and now helps.

It seems like I'm always playing these mind games to get myself to get off the couch and train. But it doesn't always work, because I'm equally as good at the opposite kind of mind games. Take tonight for example. My plan was to get home early, and get my training done right away. But I worked hard all day, and really needed to sit down - just for a few minutes. But while I was on the couch, I really needed to check my email, and facebook, and this website, and my Amazon order... and so on. And then, look at that, it's dinner time and the wonderful hubby is handing me a delicious plate of procrastination. And everyone knows its not healthy to train right after you eat. I just needed an hour or so to digest. But by that time I was really comfortable, and into a tv program, and gosh its getting pretty late and I have to get up early. And just like that, I had successfully talked myself out of sweating at all tonight.

And then I read your above post Jeff, and it took the wind right out of my excuse-bloated couch potato sail. It was just the right mixture of reality check and encouragement, and motivated me to at least get on the trainer and get the muscles working. Once I was dressed and moving of course, I felt great and was able to complete my training as planned. Thanks so much for being a great motivator!
2009-02-03 4:35 AM
in reply to: #1942698

New user

Thanks so much Jeff!  You are a good mentor Laughing

It is nice to hear other people go through the same thing.   Instead of comparing myself to other's, I tend to compare myself to the Planned section of my training program.   I need to keep in mind that sometimes life won't fit in that plan.    I appreciate the advice, encourgement, and truthfullness.   If an IronViking doesn't want to go every now and again, than this IronViking in Trainng won't beat herself up about it anymore!   And after a comment from Twerp, it seems that it may be a reoccuring theme.   But more often than not, you need to make the choice to get up.

And that is where I am today....on my way to run at 5:30.   Tired, could have stayed in bed, but I am sure it will feel great after.

Thanks!

2009-02-03 6:37 AM
in reply to: #1942698

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
Twerp - 2009-02-02 11:15 PM
IRONVIKING - 2009-02-02 4:11 AM

It seems like I'm always playing these mind games to get myself to get off the couch and train. But it doesn't always work, because I'm equally as good at the opposite kind of mind games. Take tonight for example. My plan was to get home early, and get my training done right away. But I worked hard all day, and really needed to sit down - just for a few minutes. But while I was on the couch, I really needed to check my email, and facebook, and this website, and my Amazon order... and so on. And then, look at that, it's dinner time and the wonderful hubby is handing me a delicious plate of procrastination. And everyone knows its not healthy to train right after you eat. I just needed an hour or so to digest. But by that time I was really comfortable, and into a tv program, and gosh its getting pretty late and I have to get up early. And just like that, I had successfully talked myself out of sweating at all tonight. And then I read your above post Jeff, and it took the wind right out of my excuse-bloated couch potato sail. It was just the right mixture of reality check and encouragement, and motivated me to at least get on the trainer and get the muscles working. Once I was dressed and moving of course, I felt great and was able to complete my training as planned. Thanks so much for being a great motivator!

I am off work at 2:30 everyday. If I come home with the intentions of training, and happen to sit down . . . the next thing I know it's an hour later and I nodded off. I'm training myself to check my e-mail while I change in to training clothes, and basically keep moving until I actually walk back out to go run or whatever. Other times, for whatever reason, I just feel dead-tired so I do sit and close my eyes. Sometimes it's only for fifteen minutes, like a cat nap, but then I feel like doing something and even more then the training calls for. Other times there's a piece of chocolate cake with my name on it.

2009-02-03 6:49 AM
in reply to: #1942727

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
efk101603 - 2009-02-03 2:35 AM

Thanks so much Jeff!  You are a good mentor Laughing

It is nice to hear other people go through the same thing.   Instead of comparing myself to other's, I tend to compare myself to the Planned section of my training program.   I need to keep in mind that sometimes life won't fit in that plan.    I appreciate the advice, encourgement, and truthfullness.   If an IronViking doesn't want to go every now and again, than this IronViking in Trainng won't beat herself up about it anymore!   And after a comment from Twerp, it seems that it may be a reoccuring theme.   But more often than not, you need to make the choice to get up.

And that is where I am today....on my way to run at 5:30.   Tired, could have stayed in bed, but I am sure it will feel great after.

Thanks!

That little blue line on the training page can be my friend or enemy. You know the one I mean? It worms it's way across your actual training graph and you're either under it or sometimes just right there. The actual training calander has the little pink squares when you enter your days training and white if you do nothing, so even on an off day I blog something so it's yellow. That way I can look at my calander and see colors instead of white. It's a little thing but I do it for the motivation. You're spot-on when you say more often then not you need to choose to do something, and it's like reprogramming yourself to be active when you used to change channels, etc. I've been making excuses to not ride my bike to work because I don't like cold weather. Dirk rides his bike almost daily, so really, it can be done I just have to do it. You're a great IronViking in training!

2009-02-04 8:01 PM

New user

Well, had my treadmill stress test today....and I think the doctor was wondering why I was wasting his time.   His only advice was to lose some weight and work on lowering cholesterol.   I asked him if it was okay to run, ride, swim etc.   and he not only said go for it...he encouraged it!   Yay me! 

So the training starts.

2009-02-04 8:16 PM
in reply to: #1946174

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
cohophysh - 2009-02-04 6:01 PM

Well, had my treadmill stress test today....and I think the doctor was wondering why I was wasting his time.   His only advice was to lose some weight and work on lowering cholesterol.   I asked him if it was okay to run, ride, swim etc.   and he not only said go for it...he encouraged it!   Yay me! 

So the training starts.

Perfect. Good for you.

2009-02-05 4:32 PM

I am LOVING the training log, I especially like the bar graph that shows how much time you spend in every sport! I am trying to build those bars UP.

Stacy

2009-02-05 6:50 PM
in reply to: #1947893

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
swilburn - 2009-02-05 2:32 PM

I am LOVING the training log, I especially like the bar graph that shows how much time you spend in every sport! I am trying to build those bars UP.

Stacy

Yeah it can be fun to compete with yourself, and see if you will do what you say you'll do.

2009-02-06 10:13 PM

Shanghai, China

Wow, I thought I was the only one with all the excuses not to train!  It's great to know a lot of you share that 'skillset'.  Smile  I'm encouraged by all of the comments and ideas to nudge myself enough to get started.  I always find that once I get into a workout - I'm so glad that I did.  Thanks everyone.

2009-02-07 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1950196

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
DblTall - 2009-02-06 8:13 PM

Wow, I thought I was the only one with all the excuses not to train!  It's great to know a lot of you share that 'skillset'.  Smile  I'm encouraged by all of the comments and ideas to nudge myself enough to get started.  I always find that once I get into a workout - I'm so glad that I did.  Thanks everyone.

If you have some new excuses could you post them? I'm running out

2009-02-07 6:32 PM

Jeff,

I got my Triathlete's Training Bible yesterday and Mr. Friel says that since in shorter races about half of your total race time is spent on the bike, you should spend about half of your training time on the bike. Makes sense to me.  

I feel really good and am slowly increasing my training load to about where it was before my knees started to hurt. It will be more balanced however, I was running way too much.

Stacy

Anybody doing the Simply Stu Worldwide Triathlon in a couple of weeks?

2009-02-08 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1950794

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
swilburn - 2009-02-07 4:32 PM

Jeff,

I got my Triathlete's Training Bible yesterday and Mr. Friel says that since in shorter races about half of your total race time is spent on the bike, you should spend about half of your training time on the bike. Makes sense to me.  

I feel really good and am slowly increasing my training load to about where it was before my knees started to hurt. It will be more balanced however, I was running way too much.

Stacy

Anybody doing the Simply Stu Worldwide Triathlon in a couple of weeks?

That makes sense to me too Stacy. I also think it's a good idea to know the course of your upcoming race and train accordingly. If it has hills focus on hills, if it's an open water swim, etc.

So no pineapple before a run huh? Good to know.

2009-02-10 6:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon

Hi gang. If you've been to my page then you've no doubt seen the Viking Laws. It occured to me that they could be adapted to fit into the triathlon realm. I'm introducing the first set of laws for the group with the Ironviking interpratation in RED. Do with them what you will.

Viking Laws-- 1) Be Brave and Aggresive= Train Like A Champion

Be Direct= Indecision Can Spoil A Training Session, Grab all Opportunities=If a Training Window Opens Go For It, Use Varying Methods of Attack= Strength Endurance and Intervals, Be Versitile and Agile= Stretching and Flexibility, Attack One Target at a Time= Focus on Todays Training Session Let Tomorrows Workout Take Care of Itself, Don't Plan Everything In Detail= Have A Race Day Plan And Expect It To Go Wrong Right Away Adapt, Use Top Quality Weapons= Black Old School Converse Do Not Make For A Good Running Shoe.

That's it for Viking Laws #1. Happy Training!

2009-02-11 9:01 PM

New user

I like those, my favorite is

Adapt

Improvise

Overcome

Hoorahhh!

2009-02-12 10:50 AM

Shanghai, China

I like "attack one target at a time".  I used to get much more caught up on planning everything associated with my long term goals.  This was so bad that my goals eventually either seemed overwhelming, or if I missed a workout I would spiral downhill.  Both outcomes ultimately led me to abandon many attempts to accomplish what I wanted to do.

So, I completely agree...enjoy today's workout and don't worry about the rest for now.

2009-02-12 4:36 PM

Agreed...

My target right now is to get leaner. I will go faster without any more effort. I got a great plan from the dietitian and will put it in place. The workouts are easy for me to get done, but the fuel is where I am falling down.  I know that I will not get lean overnight (I have weighed the same thing my whole adult life), but as long as I am taking steps in the right direction, I am satisfied.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12