BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-01-22 6:46 PM
in reply to: #1884714

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL
Tami - I was checking out your swim log and wondering how you keep track of your splits so precisely? Do you keep paper and pen with you at the pool?! Also, for your abreviaitions, is SKP mean Swim/Kick/Pull? And if so, did you do 200 Swim, 200 Kick and 200 Pull? Can you also explain what you mean by “10xTri Set with EOF”? Oh, and do you kick with a board or on your back/side? I’ve read a board is like “cheating” even though this is always what we did in competitive swim practices.

Hi there! Here are the answers to your swim questions:

Today's workout was a fun one - the tri sets are awesome!

Ok...splits. I wear a watch and just hit the split button and I know the order of the workout so I know which times relate to which set. If I rest after a set, I hit split and then stop. Do my rest, then hit the start button again when I start up again. Does that make sense? I'm so anal about monitoring my splits...lol

SKP = snorkel, kick with kick board (no fins), and pull buoy. So today I did 200 yards of each of these. I would say a board isn't cheating in my mind as you actually get to focus on the kicking - not thinking about sinking or catching your breath....

10 x tri sets EOF = 10 triathlon sets, each one faster....

here is what a tri set is....

Start in shallow end...
#1 - push off underwater (10-12yds)
#2 - Run back to the wall
#3 - same as #1
#4 - this time continue swimming to deep end and back to line (about 25-30yds)
#5 - same as #2
#6 - same as #1
#7 - swim all the way down and back (about 35-40yds)

It's a fun drill!!!!

2009-01-23 6:44 AM

User image

Veteran
nearby the city of brotherly love

Thanks guys for all the bday wishes---put a smile on my face for the whole week!!!

Got in a 5 miler run today and have a full day of workshop training (yippee.....) ahead.  So funny to go from busting your butt in the mornings to sitting on it!

Hope you all have an awesome friday (with no power outages!!) and great weekend!

2009-01-23 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Lynn - tonight's the night right? Big bike fit??? Let us know how it goes!
2009-01-23 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I am very proud of myself today. I was told today that my boss was taking everyone out (that is only 5 people including himself) for lunch as a celebration. The celebration is only 2 months late but the check just came in the mail this week. Anyways I am told we are going to Jack Astor's. That is not the healthiest place to eat. So I go online and search for their nutrition information on their website. It turns out they don't have it listed. So I do a random search online and I find a couple of dishes that are under 500 calories. And then at the restaurant I ask if they have nutrition information on their dishes - since by law they are supposed to have it. I get handed a binder of about 20 papers filled with item after item with nutrition information. I ask the waiter if it is sorted at all and he doesn't know. It was as if this was the first time he had seen the book. So instead of searching through the menu to find out what I want I search through this binder. I found a Baja shrimp taco that was only about 450 calories - plus it came with a house salad. It ended up being very good and healthy.

I thought my boss would laugh at the fact that I asked for the book of nutrition values but then he used it himself. It turns out he is trying to lose some weight.

On the schedule tonight: Swimming - and one of my triathlete friends is joining me.
2009-01-23 5:25 PM
in reply to: #1926004

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Tamio - 2009-01-23 4:33 PM Lynn - tonight's the night right? Big bike fit??? Let us know how it goes!

Hah!  Yes, I am leaving in about 10 minutes for the fit.  (I have not been working out this week due to a issue with my gallbladder....so I have been on pretty much a liquid diet of veggies.  I cut back workouts cause I was concerned about calorie intake, digestive system stress, etc.) If the ride during the fit goes well tonight, I am definetly going out for a run tomorow!  If it goes so-so, I am headed to the gym where there are other people and the stop button on the treadmill

Ok- off for fitting---but I did want to say--WAY TO GO AT LUNCH MELANIE!!!!!!

2009-01-24 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Ok ladies---here she is (or is it him? I have not decided yet).....after 4 years of hard work, I put in the required miles on the trainer these last 2 months to earn myself the right to buy a triathlon bike.....

2008 Felt B2 with Dura-ace components; added Adamo Saddle and Shimano compact crank

I got a great deal at my LBS--basically, I fit the B2 or the Cervelo p2C, but the Felt had higher end components and more leading edge technology with the "bayonent" steering system......so I jumped!

(Hopefully this picture attaches)

(bt_felt b2.jpg)

(bt lbs logo.jpg)

(bt_ brake.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bt_felt b2.jpg (19KB - 7 downloads)
bt lbs logo.jpg (15KB - 7 downloads)
bt_ brake.jpg (23KB - 6 downloads)

2009-01-24 4:46 PM

User image

Veteran
That is so hot.....is it legal to post that up here??? Congrats on the new ride--it'll definetly scare a few girls from drafting off you!!!
2009-01-24 4:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

LOL!  More like I was hoping the guys would let me draft off them

I was thinking of adding some decals to make it a little more personalized.  But I can't find anything online.  Oh well.  First, I need to take off the "warning" stickers.

I figured I spent 71 hours on the bike alone in 2008, probably 60 hours in '07  and who knows in '06 (my first season).  With the thoughts of doing an ironman, I needed some new inspiration and few helps with the wind gods!

2009-01-24 5:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Smokin'!!!!! LOVE THE YELLOW TAPE!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2009-01-24 7:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Lynn - congrats on the new bike. It is a beauty.

2009-01-25 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

In a way, I feel like it is my first new car after my "beater" car.  Meaning, you wait so long to get the new car because the beater is still running. Sure it needs a few fixes here and there but it still works.  But you just got a new job requiring you to travel/drive a lot.  While the beater will work, the new car will give you piece of mind and maybe more comfort.

Ok- what is everyone's big workout goals this week? 

I need to figure out my taper for the half marathon on Sunday. Normally, I know my taper routine, but with the massive downtime this past week, I may alter.  I am thinking maybe run 5 today (or bike for 1.5 hrs), tomorrow a 3 mile easy run, tue-bike, wed-5 mile perhaps interval or hills, thursday-bike and friday off.  Maybe a 2 mile run on Saturday to remind the body what "we" do

2009-01-25 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I had my early morning practise with my group today. Usually I just have a few bites of something before I leave the house with a bar between the swim and cycle. However today I switched it up and ate 2 leftover fritattas (which is one serving) and skipped on the bar between sets. My stomach didn't like that as much as and I was startving after the practise which I normally am not. Learnt my lesson - don't switch things up.

I think this week will be similar to last week for workouts. And then according to the schedule as of Saturday I am on an easy week for running. I don't usually take it easy too much for swimming as that is not hard on the body.

As for a goal for the week I want to get in the water and practise not doing the stop sign (as my coach calls it) when I swim. Supposedly when I glide/ or put my arm in the water my fingers and hand go upwards creating a stopping force.

Lynn - last summer after I got my bike I was taking better care of it than my car. Atleast I cleaned it more than I did my car.

Edited by mellymedic 2009-01-25 10:27 AM
2009-01-25 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1927738

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

mellymedic ..... today I switched it up and ate 2 leftover fritattas (which is one serving) and skipped on the bar between sets. My stomach didn't like that as much....

Was is maybe that the frittatas were "greasy"?  What was calorie difference betweem frittas and your usual bar routine?  Maybe that was the culprit?

mellymedic ....I don't usually take it easy too much for swimming as that is not hard on the body......stop sign

Swimming not hard on the body?  Uh, let me speak for the non swimmers out there and say "yo crazy girl!!!" It really works my core and my shoulders get sore.

Lynn - last summer after I got my bike I was taking better care of it than my car. Atleast I cleaned it more than I did my car.

So are you going to do anything special this year?  New bottle holders? Tape? Wheels? Think of it as a reward for your off-season work.

2009-01-25 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1927958

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario

mellymedic ..... today I switched it up and ate 2 leftover fritattas (which is one serving) and skipped on the bar between sets. My stomach didn't like that as much....

Was is maybe that the frittatas were "greasy"?  What was calorie difference betweem frittas and your usual bar routine?  Maybe that was the culprit?

The frittatas are actually healthy it is only egg substiture which is mainly egg whites, a little cheese and some chiles, which I ended up removing - WAY TOO HOT for me. This week was the first time I made them - next time I use the version that uses brocolli instead of chiles. There is more calories in the bar than the fritattas - probably 100 - 150 calories difference. I think it has to do with when I was eating too.

mellymedic ....I don't usually take it easy too much for swimming as that is not hard on the body......stop sign

Swimming not hard on the body?  Uh, let me speak for the non swimmers out there and say "yo crazy girl!!!" It really works my core and my shoulders get sore.

Don't get me wrong. After a good swim my body is definately tired. However I usually don't get sore muscles like I do from running. Or if I have sore muscles I am still able to swim as swimming is not weight bearing - I just may not be as fast. I know for beginners it is another story.
2009-01-25 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

very good points.

Hey all-- just aquick reminder, that through January 31st, you can get one month free membership using code "New Year 09" when you register for 6 month options; I think 3 months if you sign up for one year.

I just extended my silver membership until November.  I like the additional details provided in the workouts. Plus, I always struggled with when and what to do weight wise (worried that I would do too much); but the silver plan gives that detail.

2009-01-25 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran

Goals for this week...I'd like to hit 6 miles (running) sometime this week before going away up to Vermont. Doing some speed work tomorrow, and cycling tuesday (steady state intervals), climbing tuesday and wed. nights as well.

Don't know if any of you heard, but seems as though I may have to cross my fingers for my job....our company is in 'talks' with another to be bought out...   hopefully if that happens I'll still be able to afford the entrance fees for tris!!! keep your fingers crossed for me (and my boy--same company!!)

2009-01-26 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Every Sunday I decide on what I would be having for lunch that week. I'll cook something that day and make different versions of it for the week.

This week is a salad week.

I wanted to switch it up a bit so I bought different vegetables than I normally do. for today I have lettuce, orange and red peppers, shredded carrot, zucchini, and grape tomatoes with beans as protein. I also bought yellow peppers, celery and broccoli but my salad would have been huge if I added that too. The fact that I bought peppers is a huge step cause I always hated peppers. Turns out I hated green peppers - which I still don't like. As I was cutting up the orange peppers I tasted it and I cringed before I put it in my mouth - but it wasn't bad. Mentally I have to get over the hatred of peppers.

My question for you is what do you put in your salads to make them interesting. I am looking for new ideas.

Some weeks I'll put chicken in the salad instead of beans. Depending on what I feel like cooking.

By the way, the beans is a mixture of different beans that I had bought at the bulk food store and I cooked them myself.

Edited by mellymedic 2009-01-26 9:24 AM
2009-01-26 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Salads: I'm a big fan of all types!! I love spinach, cranberries (dried), walnuts, feta cheese and chunk tuna.  add a little olive oil and vinegar and it's awesome
2009-01-26 11:52 AM

User image

New York, NY
Those are all great additions for your salad! I'm also a big fan of corn and peas in my salads. I also love greek salads with romaine, black olives, cucumbers, tomatos, red onion and a little bit of feta cheese. You can either use olive oil for dressing or buy greek dressing in the store!

I have another swimming question but this time it is for my husband. He is new to swimming and having a hard time doing well with his stroke and breathing. He is thinking of getting goggles with a snorkel so he can practice swimming with good form and not worry about breathing. Swimming is my best sport (i swam competitevely in high school) and it comes naturally to me. Personally, I think that he needs to learn how to do it right from the start (swim and breath without the snorkel) otherwise he will become too dependant. What are your thoughts? I would love some tips from the non-swimmers about how you started and improved your swimming technique and distance! THanks! 
2009-01-26 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Good day eveyone!

Salad- today's interesting inaugral mix: grape tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, shredded carrot, a few spinach leaves, dried cranberries, almonds and balsamic vinegarette. It is very crunchy.  All your suggestions are great! Question thouhg--I think it was Melanie--do you chop your cucumbers for several days or day of?  (Previous comment on chopping all veggies for 3 days and waiting till day of to put the lettuce in).

Swimming- I really should not speak since I still drop my hips horribly, but since you asked....I always believed I was breathing right and just focused on form.  When learnign proper form, I found that thinking of really twisting my hips helped me to rotate my head out of the water: flat hips, flat head, no breathe.  Also, a friend told me to think about looking back over your shoulder when you breathe.  Think you are breathing in the little pocket that forms between your ear and shoulder.  That should help mentally with the fear of sucking in water and also of keeping your forehead down. 

2009-01-26 6:07 PM
in reply to: #1929228

User image

Veteran
kristagager - 2009-01-26 12:52 PM

Those are all great additions for your salad! I'm also a big fan of corn and peas in my salads. I also love greek salads with romaine, black olives, cucumbers, tomatos, red onion and a little bit of feta cheese. You can either use olive oil for dressing or buy greek dressing in the store!

I have another swimming question but this time it is for my husband. He is new to swimming and having a hard time doing well with his stroke and breathing. He is thinking of getting goggles with a snorkel so he can practice swimming with good form and not worry about breathing. Swimming is my best sport (i swam competitevely in high school) and it comes naturally to me. Personally, I think that he needs to learn how to do it right from the start (swim and breath without the snorkel) otherwise he will become too dependant. What are your thoughts? I would love some tips from the non-swimmers about how you started and improved your swimming technique and distance! THanks! 

If there is one piece of advice I can give and I would like for ANYONE learning how to swim to take is: DO NOT USE THE SNORKEL UNTIL YOU KNOW HOW TO BREATHE ON YOUR OWN.

Before I finally "got it" I was at the pool 5-6 times a week...took about 1 month and EUREKA! I could finally breathe! After that I worked on efficiency etc. If you can breathe, it doesn't matter how efficient your stroke is....

Deep water bobs, shallow water breathing - both in the pool. At home, big bowl of water on the table, put face in, mouth wide open as if you were swimming, count to three blow out while turning - repeat repeat repeat. I eventually found my "rhythm" and got it!

2009-01-26 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
salad.....I'm very boring, ice berg lettuce sprinkled with garlic, oregano and balsamic vinegar....

goals for week - couple swims during the week and a long swim this weekend, 3,000 yards. Couple intense rides this week and a 2 hour ride this weekend. Run...ran today, hills wednesday and an hour run this weekend....

Swimming: I would go to youtube.com and look for swim drills and swim drills with breathing. As Lynn said - the roll is extremely important - swimming flat isn't a good thing. But I think the breathing is the most important "thing" to build upon and if you can find video clips of drills, that would help immensely.

When I first caught on, as I said I found a rhythm with the breathing. I would count...in fact I still do count when I swim.
2009-01-26 6:50 PM
in reply to: #1930284

User image

Regular
Madison, WI

This is very helpful. I can breathe to one side but not the other. Trying to work on this for sure cause my neck gets sore just going to one side. I will think about the hips, that sill probably help.

This week, doing about the same as last week. Still just trying to constantly make it to the gym. I think I will starting building in about 3 weeks. 

Salad: I really like apples or pears with feta or gorgonzola cheese. balsamic dressing on spinach. Additions: chicken, walnuts, red onion, and/or cranberries. Its great!

2009-01-26 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
for breathing on "the other side" try using a pull buoy....will help with the roll and to keep your legs from sinking.
2009-01-26 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Tami-funny thought popped into my head today at yoga.  You know how the rule of thumb for running is not to increase your mileage by more than 10% a week (to prevent injuries)....does the same concept apply for swimming and biking?  If so, I am in line for a whole lot of hurt next week when I start the HIM program!  

Don't say yes, cause it will be my excuse not to swim a lot

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  

of 14