of 24

2009-04-20 10:37 PM
in reply to: #2068595

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Team No DNF - FULL
What, I take one day off from posting and everyone loses interest? Tongue out

Had the day off from work, so spent some time working on the cars, recharging A/C, etc.

Hope everyone had a good day of training. I am absolutely fried for some reason, the sudden increase in heat I think is getting to me a bit, so I am going to hit the rack way early tonight. I'll review logs and stuff tomorrow, so hope you guys are getting in some quality time on the roads!

Oh, and I don't see any race reports? did I miss one in there today?

John

2009-04-21 7:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
hey john! Lacrosse isn't that easy its tough work taking slow, extremely slow, runs to get huge ice creams and then walk back. Laughing we were just enjoying the nice warm 50s weather of maine! okay, guess not... Smile
2009-04-21 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2098898

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
tkd.teacher - 2009-04-20 11:37 PM What, I take one day off from posting and everyone loses interest? Tongue out

John

We didn't lose interest, we were out training.  Yeah, that's it.  We were training.  Innocent
2009-04-21 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
I didn't lose interest, I was trying to figure out my stupid SPD pedals. I fell over a lot!

I've also been thinking about my nutrition. I'm eating a reasonable amount of calories, but I know I need to decrease my % of fat and increase my % of protein. It's just hard when I'm doing a million other things and it's so easy to have some of what everyone else is eating. Plus, I'm craving the cheesier and chocolatier treats for some reason. I'm going to blame it on the breastfeeding, because I'm usually pretty good when I'm not nursing!
2009-04-21 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2098898

User image

Veteran
Toronto
tkd.teacher - 2009-04-20 11:37 PM What, I take one day off from posting and everyone loses interest? Tongue out

Had the day off from work, so spent some time working on the cars, recharging A/C, etc.

Hope everyone had a good day of training. I am absolutely fried for some reason, the sudden increase in heat I think is getting to me a bit, so I am going to hit the rack way early tonight. I'll review logs and stuff tomorrow, so hope you guys are getting in some quality time on the roads!

Oh, and I don't see any race reports? did I miss one in there today?

John

I missed my swim Monday morning as my alarm didn't go off. So did it in the evening instead. The ex was good enough to come over for a bit so I could head out at 8pm.

Ran this morning. I'm in week 4 which is a recovery week so increased my run time to 4 and 1s but only did four sets. I think I could of done 5 sets actually.

Warm weather? It's cold and rainy here in Toronto. But it did let up while I went for my run this morning. Don't worry John, I was going to run in the rain if I had to.

Fi
2009-04-21 11:59 AM

User image

On your right
Not that it's on my training plan anywhere ... but can you log pizza as a workout?

In other news, I hope everyone is having a great beginning of their week and getting some good workouts in.  I'm doing a 5K next weekend for my first ever race of any kind.  I'm also looking at adding another sprint in June.  It's difficult for me to get races in though because I have to get time off from work as I only do weekends.  The 5K is at 0830, so I can still work the night before and make it ok, and it's not a long race.  So that will be fine.  But for the sprint, I'll need to get someone to work the night before, and then just go home and sleep until work that same night.  But it will be fun either way.

And now for my 2nd question of the day.  If we have a race that doesn't show up under "races" on here, is there a way to add it, or do a race report on it?  Having not done a race before to report on, I'm just not too familiar with how that works.

Thanks and take care all.

2009-04-21 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2099971

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Chaderbox - 2009-04-21 9:59 AM Not that it's on my training plan anywhere ... but can you log pizza as a workout?

In other news, I hope everyone is having a great beginning of their week and getting some good workouts in.  I'm doing a 5K next weekend for my first ever race of any kind.  I'm also looking at adding another sprint in June.  It's difficult for me to get races in though because I have to get time off from work as I only do weekends.  The 5K is at 0830, so I can still work the night before and make it ok, and it's not a long race.  So that will be fine.  But for the sprint, I'll need to get someone to work the night before, and then just go home and sleep until work that same night.  But it will be fun either way.

And now for my 2nd question of the day.  If we have a race that doesn't show up under "races" on here, is there a way to add it, or do a race report on it?  Having not done a race before to report on, I'm just not too familiar with how that works.

Thanks and take care all.

Race reports are just writeups of the race, how you felt, how you did, what happened, etc etc. There is a race reports forum for those, and you can also put them in specialty threads in your state groups, or in threads like these.

I'll have to place with the race log feature. I'm sure there are ways to add races, I just haven't used that feature yet.

John
2009-04-21 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Just an interesting article from Portland, Maine. 2 guys decided to make a sort of triathlon out of the Boston Marathon. They kayaked from an island (called Peaks Island) to Portland and then road their bikes down to Hopkinton,MA (147 mi) to run the Boston Marathon. I guess they did 8:35min/mi for the marathon. The whole thing ended up taking them 32 hrs. The funny thing is the reason the did it: "
                 There's no good reason to do it," said Thomas, 28..... "We were just challenging each other."

heres the article if you are interested: http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=251558&ac=PHspt&...
2009-04-21 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
sorry i should have posted this: its their results:

Thomas and Bradbury cooked up a self-styled Epic Adventure by kayaking (from Peaks Island), biking (from Portland to Hopkinton) and then running to Boston.
"It was surreal," said Thomas, who endured a bike spill on a pile of sand in Saco that led to a series of mechanical breakdowns.
Their kayak leg took 32 minutes, their biking leg turned out to be longer than expected (147 miles) and they arrived in Hopkinton after a brief breakfast stop in Marlborough with barely enough time to change clothes.
Even so, they were able to maintain a pace of 8:35 and finished the marathon together in 3:44:42, ending their ordeal in 23 hours, 19 minutes.

2009-04-21 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2100338

User image

zachkoe - 2009-04-21 1:34 PM "
                 There's no good reason to do it," said Thomas, 28..... "We were just challenging each other."

Love it.

My question of the day:  how often can I do interval training?  Twice per week?  Looking for ways to mix up my and my wife's training.

2009-04-21 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2100645

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
CGunz - 2009-04-21 12:45 PM

zachkoe - 2009-04-21 1:34 PM "

Love it.

My question of the day:  how often can I do interval training?  Twice per week?  Looking for ways to mix up my and my wife's training.

Generally, no more than one interval session per week per sport. Intervals done right are pretty stressful, and you'll need the recovery time. (Assuming interval = speed work, very high intensity, long rest kind of stuff). You could also add tempo runs/rides, strides, hills, that kind of stuff for variety.

John

2009-04-21 5:30 PM

User image

Nice response time, John!  Nothing like having an expert at yer fingertips!

I think I meant interval and tempo as the same thing.  I get what tempo running is, whats interval training as far as running goes?  Just run even faster for a shorter period than tempo?

2009-04-21 9:04 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Had another good running night.  Due to the crappy weather (cold, windy and rainy), I decided to head to the rec. center at to run laps on their track.  Figured I would just try to hit 2 miles or maybe a little more, depending on how I felt.  I managed to do a 5K instead, which is one of my sprint distances this summer.  I couldn't make it straight, so I managed 4 laps jogging followed by 1 walking.

Just thought I would share.  Keep up the good work, everyone.

Kevin 
2009-04-21 11:08 PM
in reply to: #2101097

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
CGunz - 2009-04-21 3:30 PM

Nice response time, John!  Nothing like having an expert at yer fingertips!

I think I meant interval and tempo as the same thing.  I get what tempo running is, whats interval training as far as running goes?  Just run even faster for a shorter period than tempo?

Tempo runs are runs where you have a warmup, then a period of time at a good pace (say 80% of max), where you know you are working hard, but you can sustain it for a longer period of time, followed by a cooldown. Something like 10 min warmup, 20-30 minutes at 80%, 10 minute warmdown.

Interval training are sessions where you have a warmup, then short, very high pace (say 110-120% of race pace), followed by enough rest to complete the next one. then of course a warmdown.

So, say your race pace is 8:00 miles, which is 2:00 per 1/4 mile. Interval training would be something like 8x400 (1/4 mile), all 400's to be completed in 1:45-1:50, followed by 3:00 rest (or enough to ensure you can do all the repeats in 1:45-1:50).

Harder and long, sustained efforts are the tempo runs, short very high intensity with long rest are intervals.

John
2009-04-21 11:10 PM
in reply to: #2101538

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Cutlass454 - 2009-04-21 7:04 PM Had another good running night.  Due to the crappy weather (cold, windy and rainy), I decided to head to the rec. center at to run laps on their track.  Figured I would just try to hit 2 miles or maybe a little more, depending on how I felt.  I managed to do a 5K instead, which is one of my sprint distances this summer.  I couldn't make it straight, so I managed 4 laps jogging followed by 1 walking.

Just thought I would share.  Keep up the good work, everyone.

Kevin 

Excellent! That's actually a very valid training technique, and you will lose less time than you actually realize during the walking. Well done!

John
2009-04-22 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I'm having a terrible time with a cramp under my ribs when I am running. Yesterday it pretty much prevented me from getting a good run. Anyone have ways to get rid of them? Prevent them? Its really frustrated because I always seem to have them and they stick with me the entire run

2009-04-22 9:36 AM

User image

Expert

I used to suffer from cramps during running all the time. I've learned that I cannot eat or drink anything for about two hours before I go out! My stomach just can't take it.

When I do get cramps now, I mitigate them by breathing through it. It sounds strange but I take a deep inhale through the nose and exhale forcefully through the mouth with my lips lightly pressed together while I contract my abdominal muscles. I read about it somewhere (sorry, I forget where - it was many years ago) and it usually makes the cramp smaller or go away completely. If the cramp is so bad that I can't run anymore at all, I walk with my arm in the air (whatever arm is on the same side as the cramp) to stretch it out as I do the breathing technique and can usually pick up the pace again within a minute or two.

2009-04-22 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2102355

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
trysprintolympic - 2009-04-22 7:36 AM

I used to suffer from cramps during running all the time. I've learned that I cannot eat or drink anything for about two hours before I go out! My stomach just can't take it.

When I do get cramps now, I mitigate them by breathing through it. It sounds strange but I take a deep inhale through the nose and exhale forcefully through the mouth with my lips lightly pressed together while I contract my abdominal muscles. I read about it somewhere (sorry, I forget where - it was many years ago) and it usually makes the cramp smaller or go away completely. If the cramp is so bad that I can't run anymore at all, I walk with my arm in the air (whatever arm is on the same side as the cramp) to stretch it out as I do the breathing technique and can usually pick up the pace again within a minute or two.

Yep. Side cramps are usually a cramp in the diaphragm (The long muscle that controls breathing). Especially when you are building distance and fitness, you tend to gasp a bit and/or breath really shallow. This results in a higher concentration of CO2 in the blood, and since the diaphragm is moving back and forth a lot, it's like any muscle, it cramps. Longer, deeper breaths, and good hydration before and after runs will help alleviate the pain.

John
2009-04-22 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2102542

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: Awesome jobs!!!
Spent some time going through the logs this morning, and there are a bunch of you that are hitting personal bests, doing more distances than you've ever done, getting in some very quality workout times! That is AWESOME!!! I'm proud of every one of you, it's not easy to get the workouts in when life is hitting you smack in the face.

I encourage you all to spend a little bit every couple days looking through each others logs, offering encouragement (Inspires), and working together. You are all doing great, I want to keep this ball rolling!

AWESOME JOB, EVERONE!!

John
2009-04-22 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2102736

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Subject: RE: Awesome jobs!!!
tkd.teacher - 2009-04-22 12:48 PM Spent some time going through the logs this morning, and there are a bunch of you that are hitting personal bests, doing more distances than you've ever done, getting in some very quality workout times! That is AWESOME!!! I'm proud of every one of you, it's not easy to get the workouts in when life is hitting you smack in the face.

I encourage you all to spend a little bit every couple days looking through each others logs, offering encouragement (Inspires), and working together. You are all doing great, I want to keep this ball rolling!

AWESOME JOB, EVERONE!!

John

Thanks, reminded me to log my spin class this morning. We did 3 hill climbs (12 mins, 10 mins and 8 mins) with bursts and increases to 90% all the way up).

This is my recovery week and my body is celebrating it with a sore throat. Lots of Oregano Oil for me.

Fi
2009-04-23 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Hi,
We are starting a weight-loss/fitness program at work. Myself and two other girls are starting it up. It will have a weekly weigh-in and meetings. Loosely based on weight watchers but people can follow whatever program they want and we will offer support/weigh-ins/measurement/goal setting etc.

I decided to shift my 6am swim to tonight - following a yoga class. No reason to get out of bed when I'm battling a head cold. And tomorrow is my day off.

How is everyone else doing today?

Fi

2009-04-23 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2105184

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
alexenafi - 2009-04-23 8:05 AM Hi,
We are starting a weight-loss/fitness program at work. Myself and two other girls are starting it up. It will have a weekly weigh-in and meetings. Loosely based on weight watchers but people can follow whatever program they want and we will offer support/weigh-ins/measurement/goal setting etc.

I decided to shift my 6am swim to tonight - following a yoga class. No reason to get out of bed when I'm battling a head cold. And tomorrow is my day off.

How is everyone else doing today?

Fi

Twitchy. Way too much coffee this AM.

John
2009-04-23 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2105217

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
tkd.teacher - 2009-04-23 11:13 AM Twitchy. Way too much coffee this AM.

John

I hear you on that.  My wife has relatives out in Mesa and they mentioned that it's already 100+ out there.  That seems a little early for it to be that hot out there already.  I know you get used to it, but I've been out there when it's hot (115+) and I didn't even want to be outside. 

I was supposed to swim last night, but the university I use is in the middle of exam week and changed the rec center hours.  I will probably have to put off the swim until Saturday.  I may ride on the trainer tonight after the kiddies are in bed.  We're finally getting nice weather so hopefully I can start riding outside.  The scenery, or lack there of, is driving me crazy.
2009-04-23 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2105217

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RPE and a minor rant
I was reading the thread in the main forum on waterproof HR monitors, and it got me going a bit (Told you too much coffee this AM!)

RPE. Rating of Perceived Exertion. Learn it, live it, love it. If you want to be able to TRULY race, learn to listen to your body and what it is telling you without reliance on external gadgets. That way, if your external gadget dies, you have something else to rely on.

How to train it? Well, a lot of that just comes from lots and lots of laps in the pool, miles on the road, etc. But, there are things you can do.

Go for a 20 mile ride. Cover your cyclocomputer with a piece of electrical tape. Occasionally guess your speed, and peel the tape to look at it. See how close you come. Stop every 5 miles or so and guess what your HR is, then take it and compare.

Do a mile or two warmup, then go to a track. Pick a pace you know you can make with a little bit of effort for 1/4 mile. Run a couple miles, 1/4 mile at a time with rest in between. Try to hit your goal pace, and take your HR after each one. Rest as needed.

Same thing in the pool. Warmup, then do something like 20x50 or 10x100. Pick a pace, and try to hit it within a couple seconds every time.

The more you learn to listen to your body and what it's telling you, the more benefit you will get out of training tools. Too many people train slavishly by HR, and never deviate. I've seen a lot of race reports where people said "My HR monitor said this, but I KNOW I could have gone faster!" or "My HR monitor died, and I had no clue on the bike, ended up dying on the run."

All the cyclocomputers, HR monitors, etc. are tools to be used, not slaves to be followed.

Ok. Mini rant over. Back to training, everyone!

Oh, and for those of you with significant others, buy them something nice and unexpected since they are supporting your training, and stuff. Flowers are always good.

John
2009-04-23 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I think frustration is the word of the day for me. I feel like training has been going well and then I go to my knee dr. today. I ended up with another cortisone shot and told I am not allowed to run more than 8-10mi. a week (for the rest of my life) and that he was not happy with me doing that much but he was willing to give me a small bone (i don't have a lateral meniscus on my right knee). Now they diagnosed me with tendonitis ( last month it was bursitis).
so now I have to take a few days off. hopefully everyone elses training is going better than mine.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team No DNF - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24