BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-04-15 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
We have a lot of folks on here who have some weight loss goals.

Ever wonder if you should strength train before or after doing cardio?  Honestly, everyone has their own personal preference.  I prefer to lift before doing cardio because I'm not as worn out before I start heavy exertion.

However, if you want to lose weight while you tri train, lifting first has a clear benefit according to a book I read last year called "Triathlon Training in 4 Hours a Week" by Eric Harr.  Here are his thoughts on the subject.  I hope this gives ya'll some ideas.

Page 121

Strength training is fueled by sugar that’s stored in your muscles.  Aerobic exercise, on the other hand, uses both sugar and fat as its fuel sources.  If losing weight is one of your goals, you should add 20 to 30 minutes of aerobic work after strength training.  That way, lifting weights uses up the sugar stores in your muscles, leaving you to burn more body fat with your aerobic workout.

2009-04-15 10:16 PM
in reply to: #2087841

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
lkagop - 2009-04-15 10:11 PM We have a lot of folks on here who have some weight loss goals.

Ever wonder if you should strength train before or after doing cardio?  Honestly, everyone has their own personal preference.  I prefer to lift before doing cardio because I'm not as worn out before I start heavy exertion.

However, if you want to lose weight while you tri train, lifting first has a clear benefit according to a book I read last year called "Triathlon Training in 4 Hours a Week" by Eric Harr.  Here are his thoughts on the subject.  I hope this gives ya'll some ideas.

Page 121

Strength training is fueled by sugar that’s stored in your muscles.  Aerobic exercise, on the other hand, uses both sugar and fat as its fuel sources.  If losing weight is one of your goals, you should add 20 to 30 minutes of aerobic work after strength training.  That way, lifting weights uses up the sugar stores in your muscles, leaving you to burn more body fat with your aerobic workout.

Mmmm, I like this idea... I have always done it the other way. A reason to try something new!
2009-04-15 10:35 PM

User image

Regular
West Fargo
Ok, I've had a couple days of "life" slipping in the way of my training! As a little background, I've got 2 young kids, and my husband travels Mon-Fri and isn't home. So I depend on the time my daughter is in preschool to get in my runs (mon,wed,fri). Yesterday was supposed to be either cross train or 3 mile run. I did neither. Today was supposed to be a 5mile run. I ended up watching a friends girls during my gym time. Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day, but I feel like I've had 2 rest days, and my daughter is home. Friday my daughter has a field trip and I'm helping to chapparone. I have a 10K run on Saturday. (I've just started the training for the half marathon that is on May 9th, so I'm starting a bit late in my training). I feel REALLY behind.

So here is my question. Can I sub out some cardio workouts here at home for the time that I should be running? I've got a ton of workout stuff recorded on DVR, and could do that for the amount of time that I would be running. Or do I need to do something with more "impact", like jump rope for 2 hours (hopefully I'm joking about that)......

Also, my legs are really tired. I had volleyball tonight, and I was a slow mover on the court. They just feel so tight and my energy level seems low. I'm going to stretch a lot tomorrow, and do some yoga workouts to help stretch and strengthen. I have volleyball again tomorrow night, and I really don't want a repeat of tonight. Could it be just fatigue from running the 8 miles on saturday and then 5 monday? The bad food from the weekend? not eating enough yesterday or today? I don't know, but I need to work it out quickly! Maybe a combo of all. And that blister on the back of my achilles was really angry tonight. I didn't have it covered up enough and it let me know.... I need some good advice on how to treat it and cover it while it heals...

Ok, hopefully I'll be reporting some success after the 10K Saturday....

2009-04-15 10:45 PM
in reply to: #2083667

User image

Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - OPEN
Cool that a couple of us could do the NJ State Tri - we'll definitely have to meet up!  I will be at the Back of the Pack, but I will cross that finish line!
2009-04-16 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2087875

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
sleeping_butterflies - 2009-04-15 11:35 PM Ok, I've had a couple days of "life" slipping in the way of my training! As a little background, I've got 2 young kids, and my husband travels Mon-Fri and isn't home. So I depend on the time my daughter is in preschool to get in my runs (mon,wed,fri). Yesterday was supposed to be either cross train or 3 mile run. I did neither. Today was supposed to be a 5mile run. I ended up watching a friends girls during my gym time. Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day, but I feel like I've had 2 rest days, and my daughter is home. Friday my daughter has a field trip and I'm helping to chapparone. I have a 10K run on Saturday. (I've just started the training for the half marathon that is on May 9th, so I'm starting a bit late in my training). I feel REALLY behind. So here is my question. Can I sub out some cardio workouts here at home for the time that I should be running? I've got a ton of workout stuff recorded on DVR, and could do that for the amount of time that I would be running. Or do I need to do something with more "impact", like jump rope for 2 hours (hopefully I'm joking about that)...... Also, my legs are really tired. I had volleyball tonight, and I was a slow mover on the court. They just feel so tight and my energy level seems low. I'm going to stretch a lot tomorrow, and do some yoga workouts to help stretch and strengthen. I have volleyball again tomorrow night, and I really don't want a repeat of tonight. Could it be just fatigue from running the 8 miles on saturday and then 5 monday? The bad food from the weekend? not eating enough yesterday or today? I don't know, but I need to work it out quickly! Maybe a combo of all. And that blister on the back of my achilles was really angry tonight. I didn't have it covered up enough and it let me know.... I need some good advice on how to treat it and cover it while it heals... Ok, hopefully I'll be reporting some success after the 10K Saturday....

Stupid life!    No, I completely understand, though.  I was supposed to swim and run after work last night, but I ended up working late and got home right as the open pool time ended.  Plus, it was sprinkling outside and I completely wimped-out of my run.

You can certainly do other cardio, but it should not be as a substitue for running.  Only running can help you run better.  Sorry to bring you bad news.

I think you hit the nail on the head.  All of those factors are probably contributing, plus the stress of a race this weekend.  You should definitely be laying off some on your mileage and intensity this week, if you're not already.  Definitely stretch really well before (be sure to warm-up at least 5 minutes so you're not stretching cold muscles) and after volleyball tonight.

Here's to you definitely reporting on a successful 10K this weekend, too!  Can't wait to read the race report!
2009-04-16 7:52 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

In regards to strength training and cardio and in what order...One of my work's fitness center's "guru" had a suggestion for me last year - she suggested doing strength before cardio, for Lora's same reason...because you won't be as tired.  I know once I'm in the motions of cardio I can usually push myself a bit, but with the strength training stop & go...it's a bit harder!

In regards to my working out...I've had a tired spell lately and have let myself sleep and working out has gone by the way side.  But it's supposed to be nice out today and tomorrow - so I've decided that a good way to get myself motivated is to go on a walk during lunch outside today.  I really dislike having a desk job Undecided But...mine is a little bit of both, I'm just in a sitting "phase"

I'm wavering about signing up for the race.  It's not until August, but if I sign up before the end of this month I'll save $10  But since it's my first tri/race I'm a little hesitant about signing up now.  While I know it's good motivation - - there is a lot of time between now and then!  Thoughts?!?!?

So Happy It's Thursday!

2009-04-16 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2088262

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
lkc01234 - 2009-04-16 7:52 AM

I'm wavering about signing up for the race.  It's not until August, but if I sign up before the end of this month I'll save $10  But since it's my first tri/race I'm a little hesitant about signing up now.  While I know it's good motivation - - there is a lot of time between now and then!  Thoughts?!?!?

So Happy It's Thursday!

I know what you mean about registering early. I am one of those who tends to do that. It works well for me and gives me a date to work for. Only one race, a half marathon, I had to skip due to an injury. I was a bit upset about losing the $40 fee, but in the long run it was the best thing to do and I forgot about it quickly. Some larger races also have limited registration and that usually motivates me as well to preregister. Local 5K's and such I just come early on race day as there is usually not limits on participants.
2009-04-16 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
lkc01234 - 2009-04-16 8:52 AM

In regards to strength training and cardio and in what order...One of my work's fitness center's "guru" had a suggestion for me last year - she suggested doing strength before cardio, for Lora's same reason...because you won't be as tired.  I know once I'm in the motions of cardio I can usually push myself a bit, but with the strength training stop & go...it's a bit harder!

In regards to my working out...I've had a tired spell lately and have let myself sleep and working out has gone by the way side.  But it's supposed to be nice out today and tomorrow - so I've decided that a good way to get myself motivated is to go on a walk during lunch outside today.  I really dislike having a desk job Undecided But...mine is a little bit of both, I'm just in a sitting "phase"

So Happy It's Thursday!

Go get that walk done!

You will completely be surprised by just how different you'll feel after you hit the "Confirm Payment" button at the end of your registration.  I will have registered late for my first two tris of the year for a total of $25 more than I should have spent had I registered early.  That doesn't sound like a lot, but that's an entry fee for a 5K I might want to do mid-season, or half the cost of my dogs' medicine.

If you've got the money now, plunk it down.
2009-04-16 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2088354

User image

blujay65 - 2009-04-16 9:24 AM
lkc01234 - 2009-04-16 7:52 AM

So Happy It's Thursday!

I know what you mean about registering early. I am one of those who tends to do that. It works well for me and gives me a date to work for. Only one race, a half marathon, I had to skip due to an injury. I was a bit upset about losing the $40 fee, but in the long run it was the best thing to do and I forgot about it quickly. Some larger races also have limited registration and that usually motivates me as well to preregister. Local 5K's and such I just come early on race day as there is usually not limits on participants.

+1  I need that motivation.
2009-04-16 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Head's Up for Registering Online for Your Race

Most racing companies use www.active.com to register online.  You'll need to create an account, just be careful not to sign-up for a free trial membership - unless you want it, of course - because they'll charge you after the free period without warning.  At least that's what happened to me.  Cry

You will see the price of the entry fee for your race.  Let's just say it's $50.  Unless you are a member of USA Triathlon, in addition to the $50, you will be charged $10 for a day-only membership for insurance purposes if the tri is USAT-sanctioned.  Most are.

On top of that, Active will also charge you a processing fee.  I think it's 10% of the entry fee, so if the cost of your entry fee is $50, expect $5 more.

So, what started out as planning on spending fifty bucks has now turned into $65.

If you plan on doing a lot of races, there are ways you might end-up saving.  A one-year membership to USAT is $40, so if you do 4 or more races a year, it might be of value to you.  Also, you might just like to join.  Here's a link to member benefits:  http://usatriathlon.org/content/index/58.  I need to sign-up myself.

Along those same lines, you can join Active and you'll save a little on your processing fee, but it's not that much and I think the yearly membership is $50.

Obviously, you can save the most money by registering early.  Something I managed to do last year, but haven't done this year.

Just wanted to let ya'll know what to expect so you don't experience sticker shock while you're in the middle of registering.  Let me know if you have any questions about this.

- Lora

2009-04-16 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Morning ladies!  I ended up with a good 5 mile run last night despite having to do it on the TM.  DD's soccer game from Tues got re-scheduled for last night so I went to that after work and by the time we got home, got dinner done, etc., it was late and I didn't want to go.  But I forced myself down to the basement, put in a DVD and got started figuring I could always quit early if I wasn't really into it.  As usual, once I got started it felt good and I finished the whole run.  I was tired when I got done though!  Good thing today is a rest day - I feel like I need one. 

Patricia - I was having the same problem when trying to swim in the evening.  I felt like I was doing more sinking than swimming!  I've switched to morning swims (mostly because the pool is a lot less crowded at the time) although that may not be possible if you're in a class.  I don't eat a lot before I swim though - just enough to keep the stomach from growling - and then have a good breakfast afterwards.  I also only drink water when I'm swimming.  I like Gatorade but I think it would feel too heavy in my stomach if I had it during my swims.  Would it be possible for you to have just a light dinner or snack before your swimming and then eat something else afterwards? 

Sleeping_Butterflies - first off, good luck with your 10k this weekend!  About the tired legs - I've noticed that mine feel fatigued a lot more and a lot easier when I'm dehydrated.  Don't know if that could be an issue for you - just a thought!

lkc01234 - I'm the same way about signing up for races.  It's nice to get the discounted fee (plus you don't want to wait too long in case the race sells out), but you never know what could happen between now and then.  You have plenty of time to get ready and like others have said, it's great motivation to keep your training on track.  

OK, I've got to get some work done today.  Hope everyone has a wonderful Thursday!
Janet 

2009-04-16 10:06 AM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
I've also had problems with gatorade making me nauseus, so I switched to Nuun or Uhydrate.  They're tablets that come in a tube and you put a tablet in a water.  They add alittle flavor and electrolytes but don't have all that corn syrup like gatorade.  They don't bother my stomach at all.  (Plus there is much less plastic packaging.)

I swim early in the morning so I don't eat before I swim.  I've been experimenting with gels just to get something on my stomach so I have the energy for my workout and that seems to be working.  I really don't eat much before any of my workouts.  Biking would probably be okay, but I don't like running with a meal sloshing around.
2009-04-16 10:18 AM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
lkc01234 - 2009-04-16 8:52 AM

I agree with everyone else.  Register.  It's very motivating.  I registered for my June tri in January, so it's not too early for August.

Plus once you've paid for it and it's on the calendar you won't decide later on that you have something better to do that day.

2009-04-16 10:54 AM

User image

New user

great job on the 5 mile run last night Janet!  That's awesome that you still did it so late inthe evening.  I find that I need to go right to the gym straight from work or else I won't get back up again once I get home.

It's nice enough here to run outside today.  I measured out 1.5 miles in my car this morning.  I'm going to run out and back for 3 miles on my lunch hour.  Then I'm meeting my friend at the pool tonight for my first swim lesson.

I started feeling shin splints in my left shin last night after my 2mi run on the TM.  Hopefully this isn't the start of something bad.  We'll see how it feels with the 3 mi run today.

Have a great day everyone!

2009-04-16 11:23 AM

User image

New user

Eugene, Oregon
I had a great swim this morning. If you have the opportunity (and I know it is not an option for everybody) the morning is a great time to hit the pool.

Theresa
2009-04-16 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2086684

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED (PM Me, Though)
mekira - 2009-04-15 3:00 PM Yesterday's swimming was so hard. I had diner too late and felt nauseous in the water. Wasn't pretty. What do you all eat before a swimming workout? We swim for one hour and usually it's around 7:30 - 8pm. I try to eat a light diner but then I run out of steam in the middle of the workout and if I eat too much I feel like a whale and swallow a ton of water and feel sluggish. I tried to drink gatorade thoughout the swim but I get cramps when I drink gatorade. Maybe I should change brands. Anyway, I'd appreciate your input Patricia

Sorry to be so late in a reply, seems like there are 2 more pages everytime I log on!

I also practice at 7:30 pm. I try to eat a light dinner around 5-5:30 (I have little kids so this is good for them) and then I have some Greek Yogurt with fruit after, lots of protein. DO NOT EAT PASTA before practice! Oh my, I learned that the hard way.

On suday I have an early swim practice around 4:30 I try to have a good lunch and then 'bout 1/2 hour before practice I have a big spoonful of peanut butter to keep my energy up during practice.

I've been reading a whole bunch of conflicting info on nutrition while working out, but most of it agrees that as long as you go into practice without a hydration deficit you shouldn't need Gartorade for a workout that is up to 1 hour. I would stick to plain water. Truthfully, during our practices I rarely have time to get a sip of water in. most of our intervals are 15-25 sec. barely enough time to catch my breath!

2009-04-16 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2087875

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
sleeping_butterflies - 2009-04-15 11:35 PM ! As a little background, I've got 2 young kids, and my husband travels Mon-Fri and isn't home. So I depend on the time my daughter is in preschool to get in my runs (mon,wed,fri). Yesterday was supposed to be either cross train or 3 mile run. I did neither.

We are so in the same boat! mine are 4 and 19 months... So most of my outside runs are while the older is at school and the younger, a hefty 30 lber is in the jogging stroller!

I have a trailer for my bike, I used to take the kids out in it twice a week with my mt. bike. I tried it once this year with my new road bike, yikes! I don't know why but it is soo much harder. Anyway, I'm really psyched that my bike trainer came today so if I can't get outside to bike I can at least ride my own bike after the kids go to bed.

Good luck at your race! Enjoy your taper!
2009-04-16 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2088782

User image

maggiewvu - 2009-04-16 11:54 AM

It's nice enough here to run outside today.  I measured out 1.5 miles in my car this morning.

Just an idea in case anyone hasn't heard of it: I've been using MapMyRun.com, it works with Google Maps I think.  If you set it to Hybrid you can see the satellite photo.  It's nice for when you aren't running on the road.  I use it for my rides too, since I can't remember how to reset the trip mileage on my bike computer.
2009-04-16 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Was going to save this advice for later, but you can actually map out your routes here on BT.  It's very similar to the Map My Run/Map My Ride sites, but you can incorporate it all into your Training Log, keeping it all in one easy place.  (I'm OCD so this makes me happy. )

Just go to the big icon at the top of this page that says "Routes."  Then either click on "Route Manager" or "Create New Route" and it'll take you to the page where you can start setting it up.

You can set up routes for your runs and your bikes - and even your swims!  This can be really helpful for planning your open water swims.

You can map-out your route, save it and call it a name that'll make it easy to identify.  Today, I just ran my quick one-mile route: "Home's 1-Mile Run."  Under the "Calc" button, you'll see a drop-down menu for routes.  When I click on it, it pulls up all my routes and I click on the one I used.  If you're a performance member, you can even click a button to see your history on this route.

You can also search for routes in your area, too.  This will be helpful if you live in a bigger city.

Let me know if you have any questions...
2009-04-16 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2089501

User image

lkagop - 2009-04-16 3:28 PM

Just go to the big icon at the top of this page that says "Routes."  Then either click on "Route Manager" or "Create New Route" and it'll take you to the page where you can start setting it up.

Well what do you know?! Thanks, there are no annoying popups and it's all in one place.
2009-04-16 8:04 PM

User image

Hey all-
Got out for a 7 mi ride this afternoon.  I'm still slow, but glad I am getting out there.  This is my first week on my new bike (Jamis Ventura - nice entry level road bike) so I am getting use to it all still.  I was too scared to try the clipless for the ride today, but maybe that will be my goal for this weekend.  Tomorrow - running!  And it thankfully supposed to finally be nice and warm here in NJ.

Mary Sue

2009-04-16 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2090247

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
myoun - 2009-04-16 9:04 PM

Hey all-
Got out for a 7 mi ride this afternoon.  I'm still slow, but glad I am getting out there.  This is my first week on my new bike (Jamis Ventura - nice entry level road bike) so I am getting use to it all still.  I was too scared to try the clipless for the ride today, but maybe that will be my goal for this weekend.  Tomorrow - running!  And it thankfully supposed to finally be nice and warm here in NJ.

Mary Sue

Way to go, Mary Sue!  You're just 5 miles away from cranking out the bike portion of a sprint tri!
2009-04-17 8:24 AM

User image

Lora (or anyone else), do you know of a good article or can you explain what are the best use of the gears on a bike?  Especially for going fast on a flat paved route. 

I am having trouble figuring it out beyond using a low number on the back to climb the big hill at the beginning of my route and then progressively changing to a higher number as I get going on the flat level and it becomes too easy to pedal.  Also I keep having to stop to cross busy streets when riding on the bike path, so then it's hard to work my way back up.

Right now my front/left shifter is broken, hopefully I will have time to [get my dad to help] fix it this weekend.  But I don't really know what to do with it once I have it.
2009-04-17 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2090977

User image

Expert
Missouri
XcaliburGirl - 2009-04-17 8:24 AM Lora (or anyone else), do you know of a good article or can you explain what are the best use of the gears on a bike?  Especially for going fast on a flat paved route. 

I am having trouble figuring it out beyond using a low number on the back to climb the big hill at the beginning of my route and then progressively changing to a higher number as I get going on the flat level and it becomes too easy to pedal.  Also I keep having to stop to cross busy streets when riding on the bike path, so then it's hard to work my way back up.

Right now my front/left shifter is broken, hopefully I will have time to [get my dad to help] fix it this weekend.  But I don't really know what to do with it once I have it.

I was wondering the same thing.  Now that the weather has turned nice enough for me to get out and ride, I'd like to make the most of it, but have never really understood all the ins and outs of the gears.   It's been so long since I've ridden my bike I'm not even sure my gears work properly - guess that's something I should really check out. 
2009-04-17 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2090977

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
XcaliburGirl - 2009-04-17 9:24 AM

Lora (or anyone else), do you know of a good article or can you explain what are the best use of the gears on a bike?  Especially for going fast on a flat paved route. 

Good question. I took my bike out last night for my first ride outside of the season!!! I'm trying to concentrate on high cadence because we've been doing a lot of that on the trainer this winter. I was also curious about all this stuff (gears and cadence etc).

I did one hour on the bike yesterday. I didn't track how many km's I did because my bike computer is not set up yet. Right now I'm on a mountain bike with slick tires but in a few weeks I'm getting a road bike. I can't wait but I have to admit that I'm a bit intimitated by the road bikes and being clipped in

Tonight, I'm jogging to my hairdresser LOL It's a 3.5k run She's a very good friend of mine, so she won't mind me being sweaty I just need a cut, she won't even have to blowdry it or anything. I'm very low maintenance hehe
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36