BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-04-24 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2107674

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL

JeepFleeb - 2009-04-24 7:36 AM We're finally getting temps up into the 80's and 90's so I'm all about the heat acclimation now.  I've got some real hot weather races on my schedule so the more I can get the better.

What is the best way to do this? What if you're going to be racing some place else that is much hotter than where you are? Any good tricks?

2009-04-24 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2107674

User image

Veteran
JeepFleeb - 2009-04-24 9:36 AM We're finally getting temps up into the 80's and 90's so I'm all about the heat acclimation now.  I've got some real hot weather races on my schedule so the more I can get the better.

Do you do any time acclimation?  Seems that I usually train late at night after 9pm, usually swim around 10 or 11pm.  3 or 4 days before I usually start trying to wake up early, but I dont do any early morning training.
2009-04-24 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2071361

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-24 7:02 PM

Expert
Pittsburgh
Speaking of heat acclimation, it completely wiped me out today.  I planned on a 6 mile run after work, but had to cut it short after 3+ miles.  I was feeling miserable and ready to puke within a mile.

The temp was in the upper 80's (yesterday morning I scraped ice off my car!), which was nearly 30 degrees warmer than I've run in this year.  I wasn't ready for it at all.

I would have been alright at lunchtime when it was in the low 70's, but the temp really rose by the end of the day, and I paid for that. 
2009-04-24 11:35 PM

Veteran
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Good morning!  i hope everyone has a good Saturday weekend.  Today is an off day basically, minus a little sports or something.  Supposed to be low 70s and sunny today and on Sunday for my duathlon.  Couldn't ask for better weather, plus the wife said I can go out and buy a new pair of tri shorts and top, but I can't decide on what to get.  The no smoking is definitely helping as my 7:30 fast pace is quickly becoming my medium run pace and my fast pace is pushing into the sub 7s for the first time in a long time.  About 8-10 years ago, I was running sub 6s.  It feels great to see this kind of improvement!  Have a great training day to everyone or good luck on your races this weekend!
2009-04-26 8:21 AM

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Happy Sunday Everybody,
What's on the agenda for everyone today? Bike and strength here.  Will prolly have to Bike inside as we are supposed to continue to have thunderstorms today.  Yesterday's were really bad.  Spent most of the day without power.  Oh well, Spring in MI.  Have a great day All!

2009-04-26 10:09 AM

2009-04-27 8:27 AM

2009-04-27 9:05 AM

somewhere in the northwest
Good morning everyone

Well I survived another race should have official results up today and I will do my race report. According to my Garmin my 10k time was 48:25, 5k was 25:27 and the 1 mile was 7:07. The 10k was really good but by the time you get back to the starting line to start the 5k the people that are running just the 5k are all jammed in so I ended up towards the back and had to do a little shuffle run for about 1 mile until it thinned out enough to just let loose. The 1 mile sprint was fun they let us doing the trifecta start 10min before the hordes of walkers and joggers which was nice, there were some crazy fast people in this race the finish time was 4:34 for the mile 15:16 for the 5k and 31:46 for the 10k well that was the guy that got first place anyway.

Happy Monday    
2009-04-27 10:09 AM

Expert
Denver Area

Last week's volumes are great even with a missed run & some bike in there.  This week is lite for me---feels weird already.  Coming weekend & next week are BIRTHDAYS!  Mine, my daughter's, and several friends.  :D

Hope you all are fabulous!

2009-04-27 10:40 AM

Regular
Dallas
This last week was a bust. I made the great decision to install my own flooring. Now that's done, I can return to the world of the living.
Well maybe not a total bust, I was doing squats 10hrs a day and felt wiped by the end.

This is my taper week for my first race of the season. (Historic McKinney Kiwanis Triathlon) I am very excited to get out there and open up the throttle to see what I can produce. Hope everyone is looking towards a good week.

2009-04-27 12:37 PM

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA

Weekly check in.

Last week went real well.  I managed to get the whole weeks scheduled training in.  I was hoping to finally have all outside bike rides but that didn't work out due to thunderstorms on my scheduled bike days.  The trainer is REALLY getting old right now.  Having been on the treadmill for running all winter, I'm acclimating slower than I expected to running outside.  The fitness is there, but my legs aren't warming up to pounding along outside yet.  This has me somewhat concerned as I have my first race of the season coming up on sunday, an 8.8 mile run.

As for this week, week 5 of the BT beginner 1/2IM program is on tap.  I'm going to modify it just a bit so my legs aren't totally fried come my race on sunday.  Another goal for the week is to continue to try and balance the calories in, calories out equation.  I've been looking into getting some metabolic testing done so I can be sure just how many calories are supposed to be going in, but haven't found anything locally yet.

Everyone have a fabulous week!

2009-04-27 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2112682

2009-04-27 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2113139

2009-04-27 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2112793

2009-04-27 1:48 PM

Veteran
I will mark last week as a big success.  Went out pretty much cold turkey and completed my frist tri of the season (will update the race report when I get a chance).  I have really only been swimming a few times a week and have only biked once since October and havent ran since my knee went out in January.  My swim time was great for me at 4:01 (wanted to go sub 4:00, considering the timing mat was outside the building on the way to T1, I  guess I did go sub 4 in my mind).

I am pretty excited that my knee held up and I completed the run.  Going in I was seriously considering not doing the run but decided to give it a go once I trotted through transition and it seemed to be holding up ok.)  I need to get a plan together and target some races in July, I really hated being passed up by so many people on the bike and run.

2009-04-27 2:00 PM

Expert

Congrats to Big D on his race! Nice job.

Last week was a success for me. I came up a few minutes short on my overall training but I still consider it a good week. I pushed yesterday's run to tomorrow and it's looking like I should be on target again this week. One day at a time...

2009-04-27 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2113282

Regular
Dallas
That is good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Good thing I am not fast enough for a change in direction to sneak up on me.
2009-04-27 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2113269

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
JeepFleeb - 2009-04-27 1:13 PM

The 4th discipline of triathlon: rest!

Most of us are crazy type-A personalities and want to do as much as we can as often as we can.  But training breaks your muscles down and it's those rest and recovery weeks where you actually get stronger.

I have trouble with this too. I slept through my bike today and am very stressed about fitting everything in since I wanted to take Friday off for my race on Saturday. However, I finally realized I've been working really hard lately and I have some aches and pains so I think I'm going to take a light week this week. Next week I start HIM training, so I it makes sense to lighten the volume right now.

As for last week, I did ok. Didn't get in all my runs/swims but had some break-throughs on the bike, so that made me happy. I went out last night to practice getting on and off my bike and I can finally leave my shoes on the bike and mount/dismount! I am very excited about this, just a few weeks ago I couldn't even come close.
2009-04-27 3:28 PM

Expert
Pittsburgh
Last week kind of blew.  I forgot that I was on the hook to take care of our neighbor's dogs in the morning before work, so I couldn't get to the gym to swim.  Actually, I guess I could have, but I wasn't in the mood to get up even earlier.   Run started off alright, then completely fell apart on Friday with the heat.  Learned a valuable lesson there.

My mother-in-law arrived from Ireland on Sunday, so the weekend was nothing but housework and yardwork to get ready!

I have a half marathon this coming Sunday, so that will be my focus.  Did a run today which was far better than Friday, but still not up to snuff.  So I've really lowered my expectations for the race.  My main goal in planning it was to keep myself going with running since it's my least favorite event.  It's definitely accomplished that, so I should be in much better position for training and the tri's this year than last year.  But I'll be happy to get past it this week!
2009-04-27 3:36 PM

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Continuing with week 2 of a 20 week HIM plan.  Calls for lots of endurance type work.  Looking good for the swims, but the weather is going to be really shaky for the runs and bikes.  I am really beginning to hate riding on the trainer.  and as for the runs...well...the dreadmill speaks for itself doesn't it?
Last week worked out... sort of... some minor modifications to the plan.  Hoping that I don't have to make a bunch this week.

2009-04-27 8:53 PM

somewhere in the northwest
Weekly report
Last week was good got in some long bike rides both of them were bricks did not get in the water that much but thats ok the race turned out good.
Race report is up. 
2009-04-28 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2113682

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
gobluedds - 2009-04-27 3:36 PM

Continuing with week 2 of a 20 week HIM plan.  Calls for lots of endurance type work.  Looking good for the swims, but the weather is going to be really shaky for the runs and bikes.  I am really beginning to hate riding on the trainer.  and as for the runs...well...the dreadmill speaks for itself doesn't it?
Last week worked out... sort of... some minor modifications to the plan.  Hoping that I don't have to make a bunch this week.

The weather here is really messing with my plans too. I decided not to run yesterday because my leg is bothering me a bit and it's a good thing I did. By the time I got home, there was severe flooding everywhere with lightening, etc. I love running in the rain, and will do everything possible to avoid treadmill runs, but this was the most dangerous weather I've seen outside of the hurricane that hit in October. I didn't sleep much and woke up to the weather being worse then when I went to bed. So, for fear of driving in the dark in these storms and possibly getting stuck, I didn't swim this morning either. Bleh Hopefully I'll swim tonight so I can stop feeling like such a slug.
2009-04-28 3:08 PM

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Gary and Derek ~ congrats on your races!!

I am really happy that I hit my training goal last week since it's the first time in over a month.  It's working out great that my hubby is able to come home for lunch (most of the time) so that I can swim then all I have to do at night is my run or ride!  Let's hope this week works out as well since there is a bit more volume.  Either way, I'll find a way!   Hope everyone has a great week!!
2009-04-29 12:49 PM

I am coming off a race( Duatholn) week so feeling the aches and pains of early season . I think I really need to get in some good training days this next month before my first tri of the season June 6. I am really disappointed in the bike split . We had bad weather but I had put so much time on the trainer this winter and last year I had just got my bike and was new to biking I had only rode the bike once before the race due to the snow. My bike time was pretty much the same as last year. The only thing diffrent was last I had to get out of the saddle to get over the hills and spent a lot a time out of the saddle this year I didn't have to get out of the saddle at all to get over the hills. So maybe it's a improvement. I am just lost about this bike thing.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 17