BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-05-20 12:42 PM
in reply to: #2163463

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed
Carter_83 - 2009-05-20 12:08 PM

Jesse

I need you opinion on race gear. Is it better to have a one piece tri suit and seperates. I bought seperates on clearance. I got the correct size top, but since I have broad shoulders the top does not fit correctly it looks like a crop top. Should I go a size larger or get a tri suit. I know it come down to personal preferance. Just need an opinion.

Hey Carter,

Tri stuff is such a pain in the a** to deal with because of just what you are saying.  And it is difficult to find decent stuff.  I have purchased a lot online and had to return things that didn't fit.  And when you do find something you like maybe buy a few in different colors.

I have never worn a one-piece. One problem is going to the bathroom is more difficult.   You have to take it off of the shoulder and pull down.   I like two pieces.  That way you can mix and match with other items as well. 

As far as sizes, unfortunately, it is trial and error.  I had the exact same thing happen to me a bit ago where I ordered a tri shirt that the sizing said would fit but it came in too small.  So, I sent it back and got the size larger.

Just a few other lessons:  

1) I ordered a tri shirt to large once.  When it got wet it got too loose around my neck area and then would catch a lot of wind on the bike.  Not good.  I still use the shirt for training and running races though.

2) Don't order white Laughing

3) Get shorts with pockets

4) I learned something this past weekend.  I am not going to wear a really skimpy tri shirt for long races as I got really burned.  Sleeveless is fine - but I wore one that showed a lot of my back.  (And I was wearing sunblock - it just didn't help).

If you get a chance to go to an Ironman event they have an amazing number of sponsors there so you can try on a bunch of things.  

Jesse 

2009-05-20 12:53 PM
in reply to: #2113192

User image

Orange Park, Fl
I have seen on other posts that some people use Under Armor sleeveless shirts to race in. I might try that since it is cheaper than a tri top and serves almost the same purpose.  I agree that finding gear is a pain.
2009-05-20 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2163645

User image

Regular
Carter_83 - 2009-05-20 12:53 PM I have seen on other posts that some people use Under Armor sleeveless shirts to race in. I might try that since it is cheaper than a tri top and serves almost the same purpose.  I agree that finding gear is a pain.

The only thing to watch out for there Carter is that those shirts can be really loose on your body - and when you are on the bike this will cause drag.  I mean any loose fiting on the bike and it can be like you are pulling a parachute.   And drag is definitely your worst enemy.

See if you are allowed to go shirtless Laughing 
2009-05-20 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2162039

User image

Regular
Boston

Christina - OK - I just signed up for the Marlborough Tri. My husband, Tim did too.

2009-05-20 8:20 PM

User image

Orange Park, Fl

Just want to say balance is almost there. About 500m into it I felt like balance was there and just went ahead and did 800m. I did not even place on going over 500m. I was tired but since I almost had it down, I  figured I might as well keep going. It can't hur't and should make the rest of the swims easier.  My shoudlers tire out quicly, I think from them not having good ROM.  Most likely from lifting over the past year. Are there any good shoulder stretching exercises you can recommend.

Edited by Carter_83 2009-05-21 8:15 AM
2009-05-21 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2164713

User image

Regular
Carter_83 - 2009-05-20 8:20 PM

Just want to say balance is almost there. About 500m into it I felt like balance was there and just went ahead and did 800m. I did not even place on going over 500m. I was tired but since I almost had it down, I  figured I might as well keep going. It can't hur't and should make the rest of the swims easier.  My shoudlers tire out quicly, I think from them not having good ROM.  Most likely from lifting over the past year. Are there any good shoulder stretching exercises you can recommend.

Haha - I have to admit... I am really bad at stretching - especially my lower body.   I know I should do it more.  Maybe some others will have better advice.  

I usually just start of slow for the first 200M.  I'll do the standard grab the opposite should approach - but nothing fancy.

Jesse 

2009-05-21 8:57 AM

User image

Regular
Carter_83 - 2009-05-20 8:20 PM

BTW - great job.

Carter - if you can bring a video camera and video yourself.  This will give you some great insights.  You won't like what you see - but it will really help isolate what you need to work on next.

Jesse 
2009-05-21 9:42 AM

User image

Regular
Boston
Hi Carter,
I do a few stretches in yoga that may help. These were the best ones I could find on-line.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/981_stress-relief-yoga-shoulder-stress.htm
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/77431_yoga-tools-shoulder-stretch-front.htm

I like stretch #7:
http://www.findyoga.com.au/asanas.asp?asanasID=14

Hope this helps.
Michelle
2009-05-21 9:50 AM
in reply to: #2165609

User image

Orange Park, Fl
Michelle,

Thanks. I will have to check out the links later. Alot of sites are blocked at work so I will check them out later tonight.
2009-05-21 8:23 PM

User image

Orange Park, Fl

The second video looks painful. I guess it takes a long time to get that flexible. I have a lot of work to do.

2009-05-22 7:14 AM

Boston
Happy Memorial day weekend everyone!!

Michelle, very excited about the Marlborough Tri (I still have to register but I am definitely going to.)

2009-05-22 9:21 AM

New user

Montreal
Morning everyone,

Jesse- The workouts are slowly getting better. I’m running for longer periods but at a slower pace. I find it takes my legs about 15-20 minutes before I feel comfortable and in the zone. My breathing is a little off, something I need to work on.

As for the swimming, I was at the pool the last three nights. I know my form is off. I need a lot of coaching/practice in this area. I’m hoping to have my swim videotaped next week so I can send it to you for evaluation/critique I need to put together a set of drills. And I need to buy fins for my upper body workout.

The information about the recovery drinks was helpful, what do you think about chocolate milk as a recovery drink?

Thanks again for all your help.
Cher
2009-05-22 11:11 AM

User image

Orange Park, Fl

Everyone enjoy the holiday weekend. Train hard and be safe.

Edited by Carter_83 2009-05-22 11:12 AM
2009-05-22 11:24 AM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
Do I have to buy a tri suit for my race?  I'm not sure if I want to spend that much money, but I have no idea what else people normally wear.

Happy Memorial Day weekend to you guys, too!  I have a four day weekend and I'm so excited about it!  Think of all the training I'll actually do. 

--
Nikki
2009-05-22 12:50 PM

User image

Regular
Boston
Enjoy the nice long weekend everyone! Smile 
2009-05-22 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2167879

User image

Regular
cher - 2009-05-22 9:21 AM Morning everyone, Jesse- The workouts are slowly getting better. I’m running for longer periods but at a slower pace. I find it takes my legs about 15-20 minutes before I feel comfortable and in the zone. My breathing is a little off, something I need to work on. As for the swimming, I was at the pool the last three nights. I know my form is off. I need a lot of coaching/practice in this area. I’m hoping to have my swim videotaped next week so I can send it to you for evaluation/critique I need to put together a set of drills. And I need to buy fins for my upper body workout. The information about the recovery drinks was helpful, what do you think about chocolate milk as a recovery drink? Thanks again for all your help. Cher

Yummm.  I love choc milk for a recovery drink.  I was drinking the kind with 12g of protein per cup.  The only issue is that it also has 160 calories per cup.  So, I switched to a power that has 25g per scoop and I mix with 2 cups of skim milk that has 9g of protein each cup.  So, I get more protein for less calories.

BUT, I think chocolate milk is great if you can afford the calories.

Just remember to only take it right after you workouts and take only when you think you would be sore the next day.

Jesse 

2009-05-22 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2168241

User image

Regular
njacobs24 - 2009-05-22 11:24 AM Do I have to buy a tri suit for my race?  I'm not sure if I want to spend that much money, but I have no idea what else people normally wear.

Happy Memorial Day weekend to you guys, too!  I have a four day weekend and I'm so excited about it!  Think of all the training I'll actually do. 

--
Nikki

Hey Nikki - you can really do whatever you want.  If you want to wear a bathing suit that is fine?  Or any supportive sports sort of outfit should be fine.   Maybe find some video on YouTube of different tri's and see what the different options are for women.

Your options open up if you are willing to take your time in transitions.  That is just up to your goals for the first one  

Jesse 
2009-05-22 2:57 PM

New user

Montreal
Jesse- What kind of protein powder do you recommend?
Can you help me with a set of drills for swimming? Swimming really intimidates me

Hi Nicki – Last year for my first and only tri I bought tri separates, running/biking shorts and a bike/running jersey. I purchased mine at De Soto their products are great and comfortable, easy and fast to slip on over a bathing suit. De Soto is having a sale on most of their 2008 tri gear- great time to buy

http://www.desotosport.com/products/index.asp

Have a great holiday weekend everyone, Ill be thinking of you when Im working on Monday

Cher
2009-05-22 5:17 PM

Boston
I have to vent ...
My plan was to run 3.4 miles today. I went on my warm-up run, stretched and ran about 100 ft. My mind said today wasn't a good day to run, so I stopped. I kept telling myself I need to run; I can't make excuses for myself, I already used an off day - told myself anything to get myself going again. I turned around and got running again.

I was off to a really good start, but maybe I was running a bit too hard? Anyway, I hit the 1 mile mark and had to stop. I wasn't tired, I wasn't any more out of breathe than usual and nothing hurt...I felt a little light-headed. I kept this up for 4 or 5 more times, starting and stopping until I turned around and headed home.

I yelled at myself for a long time, then finally one last time, convinced myself I would get nowhere if I just stopped all together here. I finally ran the last mile (and still I stopped once...) in 10:11 mins.
So, needless to say, I'm really frustrated with myself and I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. It could have been all mental, but I wanted to run. I was pretty hot out today - but I waited until after 5 to go. I drank plenty of water throughout the day. My only thoughts are that I need to a. stop thinking so much or b. eat a sugary snack before I work out.
Sorry for the long post...
-Christina
 - does anyone have any good resources on nutrition? are the forums on BT helpful for that?

2009-05-24 5:41 AM
in reply to: #2168685

User image

Regular
cher - 2009-05-22 2:57 PM Jesse- What kind of protein powder do you recommend? Can you help me with a set of drills for swimming? Swimming really intimidates me Hi Nicki – Last year for my first and only tri I bought tri separates, running/biking shorts and a bike/running jersey. I purchased mine at De Soto their products are great and comfortable, easy and fast to slip on over a bathing suit. De Soto is having a sale on most of their 2008 tri gear- great time to buy http://www.desotosport.com/products/index.asp Have a great holiday weekend everyone, Ill be thinking of you when Im working on Monday Cher

Cher - I'll get back to you on the early in the week.

Jesse 
2009-05-24 5:46 AM
in reply to: #2168936

User image

Regular
dragonfly253 - 2009-05-22 5:17 PM I have to vent ...
My plan was to run 3.4 miles today. I went on my warm-up run, stretched and ran about 100 ft. My mind said today wasn't a good day to run, so I stopped. I kept telling myself I need to run; I can't make excuses for myself, I already used an off day - told myself anything to get myself going again. I turned around and got running again.

I was off to a really good start, but maybe I was running a bit too hard? Anyway, I hit the 1 mile mark and had to stop. I wasn't tired, I wasn't any more out of breathe than usual and nothing hurt...I felt a little light-headed. I kept this up for 4 or 5 more times, starting and stopping until I turned around and headed home.

I yelled at myself for a long time, then finally one last time, convinced myself I would get nowhere if I just stopped all together here. I finally ran the last mile (and still I stopped once...) in 10:11 mins.
So, needless to say, I'm really frustrated with myself and I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. It could have been all mental, but I wanted to run. I was pretty hot out today - but I waited until after 5 to go. I drank plenty of water throughout the day. My only thoughts are that I need to a. stop thinking so much or b. eat a sugary snack before I work out.
Sorry for the long post...
-Christina
 - does anyone have any good resources on nutrition? are the forums on BT helpful for that?

Christina,

Hey, don't get too discouraged.  Every time you think you failed is just another time to learn.  In this case it might very well have been a nutrition element.  Every person is different and you do have to find what works for you.  I have a difficult time exercising without anything in my stomach.  So, I eat a packet of oatmeal and drink down some gatorade before every workout.  I would try a few different combinations and see if anything sits well with you.

For a while my father was getting nauseous during every workout - a doctor had to tell him that he was probably dehydrated.  Again, a different example, but another example.

So, again, just try to learn from it and once you have figured it out you probably won't run into it again.

Jesse 

2009-05-26 7:47 AM

User image

Regular
Boston
Hey all,
Hope everyone had a nice Memorial Day weekend and a good weekend of training.
I did a lot of yard work on Sat and didn't get out for a run like I planned. Mulched the yard from 3-6 with my son (22 mos) - Good times! I did get out on Sunday and swam, although I was pretty tired from the day before, I did push to swim farther (an extra 50M) and swam 2 50M intervals (faster than my last time in the pool - down 10+ secs)

550M - 13 min 53 sec

drills: 4 X 25M High arms; 4 X 25M Catch dills
intervals: 50M 57 sec; 50M 53 sec
cool down: 250M

Yesterday, I ran with the jogging stroller. I did a little over 3 miles, stopped at a park so my son could play and then ran the last mile home. It was pretty hot out so I ended up walking about .25 miles (in the first 3 miles). I will have to plan my runs for early morning or night time when it is cooler.

Christina - don't be too hard on yourself. We all have off days and Friday was pretty warm. At least you got out and made an effort!
2009-05-26 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2172740

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-05-26 7:47 AM Hey all,
I did a lot of yard work on Sat and didn't get out for a run like I planned. Mulched the yard from 3-6 with my son (22 mos) - Good times! I did get out on Sunday and swam, although I was pretty tired from the day before, I did push to swim farther (an extra 50M) and swam 2 50M intervals (faster than my last time in the pool - down 10+ secs)

550M - 13 min 53 sec

Yesterday, I ran with the jogging stroller. I did a little over 3 miles, stopped at a park so my son could play and then ran the last mile home. It was pretty hot out so I ended up walking about .25 miles (in the first 3 miles). I will have to plan my runs for early morning or night time when it is cooler.

Christina - don't be too hard on yourself. We all have off days and Friday was pretty warm. At least you got out and made an effort!

Michelle - looks like you are right on track with the swim workouts.  And it is always motivating to see times come down.  Just keep that up.   (Not all at once but just some thoughts to mix up the workouts)  Add in some different drills.  Lenthen your drills.  Keep working on the intervals.  Extending the intervals.  etc etc. 

Another thing you can do during the 250 cool down is continue to work on technique.  Use that time to try a few new things out.  Maybe it is your flip turns.  Maybe it is lengthening out your stride.  Or gliding.  Etc.

It is getting hot in Florida.  Yesterday I did 28 miles or so on the bike with three 4 mile intervals (fast).  Then I ran.  I only ran about 6.  It was starting to get humid out.  Nothing like running in Florida.

Jesse 
2009-05-26 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2172740

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-05-26 7:47 AM Hey all,

550M - 13 min 53 sec

Also - try to video yourself.   Not sure if you have a digital cam (recorder) available to you.

Jesse 
2009-05-26 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2170403

User image

Regular
jesse_d - 2009-05-24 5:41 AM
cher - 2009-05-22 2:57 PM Jesse- What kind of protein powder do you recommend? Can you help me with a set of drills for swimming? Swimming really intimidates me Hi Nicki – Last year for my first and only tri I bought tri separates, running/biking shorts and a bike/running jersey. I purchased mine at De Soto their products are great and comfortable, easy and fast to slip on over a bathing suit. De Soto is having a sale on most of their 2008 tri gear- great time to buy http://www.desotosport.com/products/index.asp Have a great holiday weekend everyone, Ill be thinking of you when Im working on Monday Cher

Cher - I'll get back to you on the early in the week.

Jesse 

Cher - for protein powder I still don't know the brand I have - but I don't think it is too important.  I believe I got it at Target.  I just looked for the highest protein with the lowest calories.  Mine is 130 cals for 25g of protein.  Anything in that range should be good.  I mix mine with some milk that also has 9g per cup.

Drills really should be catered to your weaknesses.  There are definitely some drills that beginners should do and some that are meant for swimmers with more experiences.   One of the ones that helped me early on was this:

-Using a pull buoy between my legs.
-You glide with your left hand while your right hand touches the buoy.  Count another second while your hand is touching the buoy.
-Then you reverse hands and do the other side.  What I mean by reverse is do a regular stroke where, then, your right hand will glide in front while your left hand will do a catch and then touch the buoy.

Your focus is on two things.  1) gliding the with leading hand. and 2) pushing back all the way to touch the buoy with your catch hand.   You want to feel your body glide.  The buoy will help you keep your legs up.  

This is not an easy drill to start with but it will becomes easier the more you do it.  

If you want start with a snorkle.  I am in favor of all of these aids so that you can correctly get the drill down.  Then you can get rid of the aids.

Jesse

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14