BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-12-30 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2582664

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Subject: RE: tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED
Ok, I just saw the detailed HR zones at the top of Tammy and Chris's training logs, and thought it would be something that a lot of us might want to understand better - how are you guys calculating your HR zones?

2009-12-30 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2583600

User image

New user

This is a topic that I could use a better understanding about. If someone has something they can cut and paste on here, I would really appreciate it.

On another note, I swam again this morning and did 3100 yds. The plan, yesterday, was to swim in the morning and ride over lunch. Well, I am smoked from the swim so I think I will take the rest of the day off and ride tomorrow, weather permitting. I think I am early enough in my training that resting/recovery is just as important as logging miles/hours on the bike.

2009-12-30 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2557055

User image

Expert
Kewaunee, WI
Thought I'd stop in and say hi to a couple of my favorite Triathletes!!!

Hope all is well with my former Mentor and her group of mentees!!!

Happy training everyone!! 
2009-12-30 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2583714

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
f18guy - 2009-12-30 9:52 AM

This is a topic that I could use a better understanding about. If someone has something they can cut and paste on here, I would really appreciate it.

On another note, I swam again this morning and did 3100 yds. The plan, yesterday, was to swim in the morning and ride over lunch. Well, I am smoked from the swim so I think I will take the rest of the day off and ride tomorrow, weather permitting. I think I am early enough in my training that resting/recovery is just as important as logging miles/hours on the bike.

3100!!!??? didn't you say you are new to swimming? I can't remember what race distances you're doing this season but is that not to much for a beginner? You can fellow the intermediate/advance in running and biking, but I would start with beginner program for swimming. You should think about cutting down on the swim, especialy if you're too wiped to perform you other workouts. You'll burn out before the season starts.

The beginner program may seem to easy at start but you can concentrate on form and will keep you hungry for next swim. Also, when you get to tired you start loosing your form which becomes an unproductive workout.

just a thought.
2009-12-30 9:47 AM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

3100 is a lot..unless you are a swimmer I have done 2 IMs and I would not be happy with a 3100 yd swim on my plan right now!!!  I think for a beginneer 1500- 2400 is plenty

Ill explain the HR zones when I get home from work... I can help you guys all set yours up if you like!

And Hi Tracy- I love thatgirl!

2009-12-30 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2583894

User image

New user

tripletmom01 - 2009-12-30 10:47 AM

3100 is a lot..unless you are a swimmer I have done 2 IMs and I would not be happy with a 3100 yd swim on my plan right now!!!  I think for a beginneer 1500- 2400 is plenty

Ill explain the HR zones when I get home from work... I can help you guys all set yours up if you like!

Ya, I had a feeling I pushed a bit too much this morning. I will talk with the masters coach at the next workout about reducing the volume to around 2000-2400 yds for a while. I am getting much more confident in the water, but still have a lot of work to do.

I definitely need to not take the typical Marine approach to things of making things as hard as possible and gutting it out...lol.

Anyhow, I have plenty of time to train, I am not in a hurry and want to do all this injury free.

2009-12-30 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2583725

User image

TracyV - 2009-12-30 8:54 AM Thought I'd stop in and say hi to a couple of my favorite Triathletes!!!

Hope all is well with my former Mentor and her group of mentees!!!

Happy training everyone!! 

Valenta, glad you stopped by.. Love the candles!!! Thanks again for taking care of me!!
2009-12-30 2:13 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

OK...in order to determine your HR training zones you need to find your Lactate threshold (LT).  What is LT...well an easy explanation is.... once your body is working at or over LT ..your blood starts isnt able to flush the lactic acid outof the muscle.... you arent able to work at LT for very long.

Your bike and run LTs will be different your run will be higher....  just because as you are sitting on the bike you just cant get your hr as high as when you run.

To find your run LT you need to run a 10 (even a 5k is OK - esp for beginners)  I really suggest a race because your hr will be higher and you will run faster (right Chris??).  If you cant find a race you can just run on your own.... just to get some numbers.  You LT will be your average hr for the race.  It is important to also do a warm up but do not include this in the ave hr.

Pretty much the same for the bike...rpobaly not gonna find a race...but you can push HARD for 30 minutes and see where you are at.  You will probaly have to work in a hard gear to getour hr up.

If you guys get me your LTs or ave hr I can figure out your zones for you

The zones....

Zone 1 is mostly for recovery its SUPER easy.... almost not even worth running  this summer was the first time I have ever done a TRUE Z1 run!

Zone 2 is where you want to be working most of the time... this is where you build endurance and could run forever... its easy but it is gonna build a ton of endurance- promise (I have doubted this too- but it works)

Zone 3- this is where most of us WANT to train.... it is kind of a grey area where you arent getting a lot of gains.  It feel like youhave done something in Z3 but really you arent doing much except getting tired  I do run Z3/Z4 for my tempos.

Zone 4 this is sub threshold..  its hard to run z4 but once you are there youcan hangthere for a while.  This is where you sdhould being doing your tempo runs

Zone 5 threshold- you can race here (5K/maybe 10K) your speed work will be here...a lot of people will break z5 down in to 5a, 5b, and 5c.... I dont really think there is much need for that.  Zone 5 is hard end of sentence

Does this make sense??... I try to keep it simple!

2009-12-30 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2583952

User image

Corpus Christi, TX
f18guy - 2009-12-30 10:10 AM

Ya, I had a feeling I pushed a bit too much this morning. I will talk with the masters coach at the next workout about reducing the volume to around 2000-2400 yds for a while. I am getting much more confident in the water, but still have a lot of work to do.

I definitely need to not take the typical Marine approach to things of making things as hard as possible and gutting it out...lol.

Anyhow, I have plenty of time to train, I am not in a hurry and want to do all this injury free.

HAHA, I have the same problem.  It's hard to break that Marine Corps mentality.
2009-12-30 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2584929

User image

New user

dboy25 - 2009-12-30 5:24 PM

So with it being the New Year and I am within 20 weeks of the Florida HIM, does someone have any suggestions as to a training plan I should be adhering to. I have read Going Long and Be Iron Fit, but those training plans are obviously for full length IMs. Has anyone used the trainnig plans available for purchase here or any recommendations for online coaching?

I know this is a Mentor group, but I don't expect Tripletmom to generate training plans. I know if it is left up to me I will end up hitting it way to hard early on and end up without a focused and goal oriented plan. I just don't have the experience to develope a plan on my own yet.

Thanks in advance.

2009-12-30 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2585301

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

f18guy - 2009-12-30 8:36 PM

So with it being the New Year and I am within 20 weeks of the Florida HIM, does someone have any suggestions as to a training plan I should be adhering to. I have read Going Long and Be Iron Fit, but those training plans are obviously for full length IMs. Has anyone used the trainnig plans available for purchase here or any recommendations for online coaching?

I know this is a Mentor group, but I don't expect Tripletmom to generate training plans. I know if it is left up to me I will end up hitting it way to hard early on and end up without a focused and goal oriented plan. I just don't have the experience to develope a plan on my own yet.

Thanks in advance.

The BT plans are pretty decent- esp for your first races.  I used it for my first HIM

A coach is the best idea though!! I know a few if you decide to look.  They will build your plan on your strengths and weaknesses and how youarefeeling that week... its great

2009-12-30 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2584589

tripletmom01 - 2009-12-30 2:13 PM

OK...in order to determine your HR training zones you need to find your Lactate threshold (LT).  What is LT...well an easy explanation is.... once your body is working at or over LT ..your blood starts isnt able to flush the lactic acid outof the muscle.... you arent able to work at LT for very long.

Thanks Tammy, that's great information.  I'm hoping to get my Forerunner 305 (yes, you guys convinced me ) in the next few days. I hope to have my LTs to you soon.

Thanks!

2009-12-30 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2585400

If anyone else is interested in the Chicago triathlon, you have until tomorrow night to get the discounted entrance fee ($140).  I just signed up today!
2009-12-31 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2585370

User image

New user

tripletmom01 - 2009-12-30 10:05 PM

f18guy - 2009-12-30 8:36 PM

Thanks in advance.

The BT plans are pretty decent- esp for your first races.  I used it for my first HIM

A coach is the best idea though!! I know a few if you decide to look.  They will build your plan on your strengths and weaknesses and how youarefeeling that week... its great

PM Sent

2009-12-31 10:48 AM

User image

Corpus Christi, TX
I have a question about aero bars.  Is it worth getting clip-ons?  I have a basic Giant OCR and my local bike shop said I would have to get a new seat post in order to make the clip-ons work.  Is it worth the investment and if it is, what clip-ons would be good to get?
2009-12-31 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2586315

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
I have some of the Profile Design Jammers (forget what version, not the carbon ones) and I like them so far. The nice thing is that they're short, and consequently, you don't have to totally butcher your road bike fit in order to be comfortable in "aero position". If you're swapping out seat posts and such, it means that you're going whole hog, most likely with full-size clip-ons, and changing your setup so that your bike will fit in aero, but probably won't any more if you want to ride it as a road bike. Personally, I like the Jammers approach better, and I don't think you'd need to switch your seatpost to make it work, although you probably will want to move your seat forward a bit on the rails.

One issue I've run into is that I have a tapered handlebar, and the clip-ons can't be attached to a portion of the handlebar where it is tapering. Consequently, my clip-ons are too close together to be comfortable, and I'll probably end up having to switch to a new handlebar that is better designed for clip-ons.

2009-12-31 1:34 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Shoes

What kind of shoes is everyone biking with? I can't stand the shoes I have now as they make my toes go numb after about 45 minutes. Looking for a recommendation.

Thanks

2009-12-31 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2586636

User image

Subject: RE: Shoes
f18guy - 2009-12-31 1:34 PM

What kind of shoes is everyone biking with? I can't stand the shoes I have now as they make my toes go numb after about 45 minutes. Looking for a recommendation.

Thanks

I wear a road shoe, not a tri shoe. They are the Sidi Genius 5 Carbon's. I really really like them.. Next time I buy shoes, I will likely try a pair of Tri Shoes like the Sidi T2 Carbon's.

What are you wearing now? What pedals do you use?

2009-12-31 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2585400

User image

mnardulli - 2009-12-30 9:18 PM
tripletmom01 - 2009-12-30 2:13 PM

Thanks Tammy, that's great information.  I'm hoping to get my Forerunner 305 (yes, you guys convinced me ) in the next few days. I hope to have my LTs to you soon.

Thanks!

You won't be dissapointed in the least with the 305.. Great piece of equipment!!

2009-12-31 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2586650

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
texastriman - 2009-12-31 1:40 PM

Thanks

I wear a road shoe, not a tri shoe. They are the Sidi Genius 5 Carbon's. I really really like them.. Next time I buy shoes, I will likely try a pair of Tri Shoes like the Sidi T2 Carbon's.

If you do end up looking for the Sidi T2 Carbon, I think they have them quite often on supersale on www.bonktown.com. If you do a search here for bonktown, there is some sister website that lists all the deals listed on bonktown, so you can see if that's really the case, or if I'm just imagining it - otherwise, you have to sit and watch bonktown all the time.
2009-12-31 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2586883

User image

New user

MLJ - 2009-12-31 5:03 PM
texastriman - 2009-12-31 1:40 PM

Thanks

If you do end up looking for the Sidi T2 Carbon, I think they have them quite often on supersale on www.bonktown.com. If you do a search here for bonktown, there is some sister website that lists all the deals listed on bonktown, so you can see if that's really the case, or if I'm just imagining it - otherwise, you have to sit and watch bonktown all the time.

What are some of the advantages/disadvantages of a road shoe vice a tri shoe?

2009-12-31 5:52 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

I have the Sidi T2s...on my 2cnd pair

Biggest diff between Tri shoes and road shoes is tri shoes have less straps then road shoes and are easier to get off

2009-12-31 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2587058

User image

New user
Tempe
Happy New Year Everyone!! Laughing I'm going to bring in 2010 by meeting up with a local club for a group ride - Whoo!

What is everyone else doing?
2009-12-31 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2587230

Best wishes out to everyone for their training in the new year!

2010-01-01 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2581422

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
tripletmom01 - 2009-12-29 7:04 AM

I alos have this bookmarked...not sure how well it works- but may be worth a try!  Its swimming 0- 1 miles in 6 weeks

http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html

I'm going to give this workout a try. Looks fairly simple, don't have to think much (been worrying to much about technique). this will give me a good base before working on technique.

Now, need some opinions.

I can only do my workouts (run, bike, swim) in the mornings. Once in a while I can do a run in the evening, maybe lunch. But for the most part all in the morning. So my question is should I be doing my swim first or bike/run first? I'm sure it probably depends on type of workouts. But in general does it really matter?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17