BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-01-23 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2583522

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED
Hey everybody!
Had a good weekend run today. My weekend runs for the past few weeks have been crummy, but I felt good today, like I could have kept going and going. It wasn't a fast run - 10:00 miles. But mentally I was in a good place.

I'm going to have to get up early tomorrow. I'm traveling to do a presentation and I have to be ready to go at 8 a.m.
So I guess I have to do my trainer ride at around 6:30am. I can get up at 5 on weekdays, but I do like to sleep in on weekends a little. By sleep in, I mean 8am.

2010-01-23 7:45 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: I thought everyone should have a good laugh.
Hi Everyone,I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts this week. First, I've created a monster with the HTFU acronym, only my husband doesn't used the acronym; he chants the phrase to me as he trains me. Seriously, I have contemplated throwing the 9 lb medicine ball at him when he's chanting it loudly to me at 6:00 in the morning :-) Today I had a "Duh, really?" moment. I am not a good cyclist but am getting better with time. I bought clips and went out riding for the first time ever with them on. I wanted to try them out on the trainer first but my husband was in a time crunch so he loaded the bikes before I got home. He told me to HTFU and I was going to learn to use them on the fly; there was nothing in the garage I could safely throw at him :-) Anyway, I figured out how to get them on but I'm deathly afraid of falling over and breaking my wrists. I got out of the clips easily but getting back in them wasn't. My execution was less than elegant. Why you ask? I didn't realize that I could pedal with the clips like a regular shoe. I'm trying to clip on the bike by slowing down and stopping- I'm sure it was down-right comical to watch. I missed an attempt to clip on, my foot slipped forward and I realized I was still moving. The light bulb goes off! Oh, I can still pedal and try to clip on at the same time! I felt like such an idiot :-) I told my husband after the ride of my profound revelation; being the great husband that he is, he just shook his head and smiled.I was happy that I didn't fall over but I'm sure my day will come.
2010-01-24 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2630998

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: I thought everyone should have a good laugh.
Way to go Denise! Glad you had a revelation about your clip shoes and good for you! I always think about falling over because of forgetting to unclip my shoes - hence I do not have clip shoes.
2010-01-25 11:23 AM

New user

I've fallen off twice because of clips, but both times were very low speed at traffic lights and the most common place where people fall.

Never fallen since and the positives are really worth it.

Your pedal stroke just becomes so much more efficient and easier.

Pat...

2010-01-25 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2630998

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: I thought everyone should have a good laugh.
dajotkjo - 2010-01-23 8:45 PM I didn't realize that I could pedal with the clips like a regular shoe. I'm trying to clip on the bike by slowing down and stopping- I'm sure it was down-right comical to watch. I missed an attempt to clip on, my foot slipped forward and I realized I was still moving. The light bulb goes off! Oh, I can still pedal and try to clip on at the same time! I felt like such an idiot :-) I told my husband after the ride of my profound revelation; being the great husband that he is, he just shook his head and smiled.I was happy that I didn't fall over but I'm sure my day will come.

LOL!
I usually leave one side clipped in, so I don't have to try to pedal with the clips just sitting on top of the pedals. I sometimes slip when I do that and it makes me nervous.

These days, when I am getting out of the pedals at the end of the ride, I just take my feet out of my shoes and leave the shoes on the pedals for next time. It's a good transition trick (you can run much faster through transition in socks or barefeet than with shoes and cleats) and it is one less thing I have to put away and keep track of.

Good for you for learning on the road! I didn't have a trainer when I first got mine. I definitely fell over several times, when I would suddenly have to stop and wouldn't clip out in time.
2010-01-25 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the day for Jan. 25

Food you can eat while working out.
Most of us are not at the point in the year where we are racing or working out for more than 2 hours. However, it's fun to taste-test!
Should you have something that is 2 hours or longer, you may want to consider some food that is designed to be eaten while exercising.

Gels - these are sort of like pudding. Basically sugar in a clear goop, packaged in individual servings in foil packs. Brand names: Gu, HammerGel, Clifshot. Some of these claim to be organic. They don't cause stomach problems because they don't really need to be digested, since they are essentially a thick sports drink. Lots of flavors.

Gummies - Basically the consistency of gummy bears. Similar to gels, but generally taste better and take up more space per calorie in the package. Brand names: Clif ShotBloks, Sharkies, Luna makes something like this too.... I like ShotBloks because there are 6 in a package and I can space them out and give myself one every mile or two. Gives me something to look forward to.

Other: ShotRocks are made by Clif. They are sort of like biting into a gumball from a vending machine. Hard on the outside (supposed to be able to be carried in your pocket loose) and chewy on the inside. OK, but kind of heavy in the stomach. I think they are really supposed to be a recovery food for afterward.

Sports Beans - Made by Jelly Belly. These are much more compact and flavorful than the gummies. They are expensive as heck, though. But on a long bike ride when you are sick of eating Clif Bars and pretzels, it can break up the monotony. I haven't tried them on a run.

Tip: Flavors of sports bars you might like may not work out that well. I really prefer Zone bars because they are chocolate covered and have a good texture. However, if you leave on in the car or take one with you on a ride or run, they melt everywhere and are a huge mess.

2010-01-25 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2630814

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Avoneer - 2010-01-23 6:17 PM

Can you "webinar" from a turbo trainer Wink

Pat...

Pat- I have never been on a Turbo Trainer during a webinar but I have been known to sit on the floor and stretch with my laptop beside me during a webinar - this of course only works when I am not presenting and unfortunately most of the time I am involved in a webinar I am presenting to 200 people so...
2010-01-25 6:35 PM

New user

Was only joking by the way.

Good on you for stretching though.

I've got into a similar habit either when watching tv at home with the kids (doing various stretches) and under my desk (legs not me!) at work and sometimes calf stretches in the lift ;-)

Pat...

2010-01-25 7:56 PM
in reply to: #2634181

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Avoneer - 2010-01-25 7:35 PM

Was only joking by the way.

Good on you for stretching though.

I've got into a similar habit either when watching tv at home with the kids (doing various stretches) and under my desk (legs not me!) at work and sometimes calf stretches in the lift ;-)

Pat...

It's all about the multi-tasking right? When we all work full-time and have families we have to find the time some place, even if it is while at work or watching TV with the kidlets. Even though you were joking it still made me laugh so I thought I would respond. I made an executive decision to take a rest day today. Tomorrow morning back at it with the 5:30 am spin class. Pat I hope the commute to work is going well. Alice, thanks for all the great info on the workout nutrition products, that actually came up in one of the Tri forums I was in earlier - it was quite the conversation. Anyway, thanks for all the great info!

Edited by ddiamond 2010-01-25 7:58 PM
2010-01-26 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the day: Jan. 26, 2010

CHOOSING A BIKE

The best way is to pay money for a professional bike fit on a Size Cycle BEFORE you go shopping, even for a used bike, so that you know what you need. However, this is more than $100, and I know that realistically someone looking to get started is just not going to do this step first probably.  If you are investing in an expensive bike, you MUST do this step first. If you are looking for something used, keep reading.

Repeat after me: The frame is the most important item.
("The frame is the most important item.")

If your frame size is right, you can change the gearing, change the pedals, change the seat, change the stem, change the handlebars. If your frame size is wrong, as soon as you start buying new things for your bike, you are going to realize that you need to start over with the correct frame.

You can always replace components on a frame. If you replace the frame, you can't always take all your components with you, if they don't fit the new bike, so if you are on a limited budget, get the right frame first. Then you can add items bit by bit with your birthday money, tax refund, etc.

If you can afford carbon instead of metal, you won't regret it. If you can't, don't worry about it. Just don't ever test-ride a carbon bike until you think you can afford it, or you will hate yourself until you get one.

OK, let's start with the assumption that you don't have the money for a professional fit, and you are looking for a used bike and just want to make sure you get something that fits.

Step 1: Frame size.

Step 1a: Frame height
Ideally, you would go on YouTube and search for a video about how to measure your inseam for a bike frame. If you don't do that because it's a hassle, you can use something called "Stand-over height." Swing your leg over the bike you are looking at. Put your feet flat on the ground. There should be a couple inches between your crotch and the bike frame. (This part of the bike frame between your legs is called the Top Tube. Because it's on top.)
Now obviously you can only test the standover height in person. That's why it's better to get a measurement, so you can shop on Craigslist and ebay and know what size frame you need. Most frames are measured in centimeters. 60cm is for a very tall person. 50cm is pretty small. Mine is 48 cm. 46 cm is possible, but VERY hard to find.

Step 1b: Top Tube length, or "reach"
It's great that you found a bike that is the right height, but it still may never fit right if you are reaching too far in front of you.
When in aero bars, your arms should form an "L" at the elbow, like this:

If your top tube is too long, you end up having problems.
You don't want to look like this (or anything close to it):

Obviously that guy is a pro, experimenting with different positions, but if you are starting out and your bike is set up like that, you will find that you get tired faster, can't breathe correctly, and end up sitting up a lot and getting out of the aero position because it's too uncomfortable.

If you are a small person, especially if you are female, you want to be careful about top tube length. Many standard brand bikes have too long of a reach. This is not universal, but most women, compared to men, have shorter torsos and longer legs. Most women can stand next to a man of the same height and will find that their legs are longer and torsos shorter.

So this becomes a big problem when trying to find a bike that won't make you too stretched out.  Look for a bike with TWO SEAT POSITIONS on the seat post. The two on the left (Cervelo and Felt) have two spots where you can put the seat - forward or back. See? It's easiest to see on the Cervelo, because it has two big holes. You put the seat in either one.

Being able to put the seat forward allows you to get closer to the handlebars.
Also when you are looking at brands, look at Top Tube lengths. Cervelo and Felt have the shortest Top Tube lengths, because of the movable seat position. That's why I have a Felt!

Of course the seats are adjustable a little bit. You can slide them forward by loosening a bolt, sliding the seat on its rails, and tightening it again. But you want to be able to adjust your seat as your abilities change. You don't want to be stuck in the all-the-way-forward position if you don't have to be.

Step 2: Everything else. Everything else is adjustable and replaceable. So just worry about the frame. Well, everything except the gears and brakes, commonly called "Components." If you are shopping, you can ask what the Components are.
Here are the names, so you can see:

Brand name: Shimano (Japanese. This is the most common set you will see on bikes for sale)
Shimano Dura-Ace = top-of-the-line. Best, lightest, shifts smoothest
Shimano Ultegra = Also good, not quite as light
Shimano 105 = lowest. Still works.

Brand name: Campagnolo (Italian. Somewhat rare)
Campagnolo Record = top end. Quite pricey. WONDERFUL. Well engineered.
Campagnolo Chorus = lower end of Campagnolo, but still VERY VERY nice.

Brand name: SRAM (American. Extremely good.)
SRAM Red = top end.
SRAM Force = Very good.
SRAM Rival = Good.

If you should find a bike with the right size frame and it has Campagnolo ("Campy") or SRAM components, snap that thing up!  There's nothing wrong with Shimano, though. Except it's just not as good. (Others will disagree here.)

Step 3 = Everything else.
Everything else is on a case by case basis, and doesn't cost nearly as much. You can go get a saddle that works fine at Performance bike for $30. Wheels - you'll always have a chance to get nice wheels down the road sometime.
2010-01-26 12:36 PM

New user

Hi Alice,

Thanks for that - some really useful info there.

Pat...

P.S. If your a bloke, when stood over the frame, it's 2" with your giblets moved out of the way Wink

P.P.S. Sorry, got a really silly "British" sense of humour.

2010-01-26 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2635449

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Avoneer - 2010-01-26 1:36 PM

Hi Alice,

Pat...

P.S. If your a bloke, when stood over the frame, it's 2" with your giblets moved out of the way Wink

Pat- LMAO (Laughing My A** Off). that was great thanks for the mid-afternoon laugh.
2010-01-26 7:43 PM
in reply to: #2635449

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Avoneer - 2010-01-26 1:36 PM

Hi Alice,

Pat...

LMFAO!!!!

Thank you for the clarification Pat!
2010-01-27 4:00 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the Day, Jan. 27

Two ways to measure distance on a bike:

With the wonderful thought in my mind that some day I will be able to ride outdoors again, I turn to measuring distance on a bike.
For those who have passed the point of driving around in a car to measure their bike rides and would like a more efficient way, I offer the following:

1. Sensor on bike wheel
Called a "bike computer"
Variations: wireless (no wires, duh) or wired, where you have to tape and wrap the wires around the frame to keep them from getting tangled. Also optional: cadence sensor. This goes on the crank arm (the thing that holds the pedal to the bike) and measures how many times per minute you move the pedal in a circle. Ideally, this would be 80 or 90 rpm. (More on cadence in a future tip)

2. GPS
If you are already considering a GPS enabled watch/heart-rate monitor, you can kill two birds with one stone and measure your speed on the bike using the GPS on the watch. This is what I ended up doing when I was looking at buying a bike computer for my new bike. I just got a Garmin 305 instead.

This doesn't work on trainer rides, obviously. My Garmin, however, allows you to buy an optional bike kit and cadence sensor. Therefore I can put two extra wireless sensors on my bike, and my watch picks them up when I'm inside and calculates my speed and cadence based on my wheel size. When I go outside, it just uses the GPS.

2010-01-28 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the day, Jan. 28

If you know your race is going to offer certain nutritional products (Gatorade, water and Hammergel) it might be wise to purchase a little bit of it and use it during longer workouts.

This way you never have to worry about bringing your own nutrition products to a race.

For example, a certain race company in my area always uses HEED, because HEED is a sponsor. It tastes really gross. However, I am trying to get used to it because sometimes water isn't enough on a longer race, and I don't want to carry my own drink.
2010-01-29 8:02 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the Day, Jan. 30

Before purchasing a pair of tri shorts, pull apart the legs of the shorts and look at the padded section from the outside. Is there a seam up the middle of the pad? If yes, do not buy these tri shorts.
The better (more comfortable) brands take the extra step of designing their shorts so the pad is a separate piece that is seamed around the edges, not stitched right through the middle where your sensitive parts are rubbing.
Also check on the inside.

2010-01-31 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the Day, January 31

VELCRO

By now you probably have enough workout clothes that you do a separate load for them on gentle with no fabric softener, and maybe even a cold-water detergent.
Just wanted to warn you it takes only one item with Velcro (a hat, gloves, strap, anything) to rip up some really expensive technical fabric on a shirt or tights.
So if you have any Velcro (bike gloves are my biggest culprit) fasten it to itself firmly before even throwing it into the hamper. You will thank yourself later!
2010-01-31 1:40 PM

User image

today I went to the Y to get my swim in, and there was this older guy blowing his nose into the pool water - I saw him do this several times - I just couldn't swim in there with that going on...I am so skeeved out...what do you do in this kind of a situation?  The lifeguards looked like teenagers....ewwww....I never want to go in there again (I will) but right now, just...yuck!!!
2010-01-31 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2641904

User image

Regular
Subject: Tri short tips
ahohl - 2010-01-29 9:02 AMTip of the Day, Jan. 30

Before purchasing a pair of tri shorts, pull apart the legs of the shorts and look at the padded section from the outside. Is there a seam up the middle of the pad? If yes, do not buy these tri shorts.
The better (more comfortable) brands take the extra step of designing their shorts so the pad is a separate piece that is seamed around the edges, not stitched right through the middle where your sensitive parts are rubbing.
Also check on the inside.

Thanks Alice. I enjoy your practical tips.
2010-01-31 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2645667

User image

Regular
ahohl - 2010-01-31 1:35 PMTip of the Day, January 31

VELCRO

By now you probably have enough workout clothes that you do a separate load for them on gentle with no fabric softener, and maybe even a cold-water detergent.
Just wanted to warn you it takes only one item with Velcro (a hat, gloves, strap, anything) to rip up some really expensive technical fabric on a shirt or tights.
So if you have any Velcro (bike gloves are my biggest culprit) fasten it to itself firmly before even throwing it into the hamper. You will thank yourself later!
Sensai, you speak the truth. My husband has ruined many of his expensive shirts due to the velcro on the board shorts. We'll definitely start this practice.
2010-01-31 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2645748

User image

Regular
operachef - 2010-01-31 2:40 PMtoday I went to the Y to get my swim in, and there was this older guy blowing his nose into the pool water - I saw him do this several times - I just couldn't swim in there with that going on...I am so skeeved out...what do you do in this kind of a situation?  The lifeguards looked like teenagers....ewwww....I never want to go in there again (I will) but right now, just...yuck!!!
Operachef, you are much nicer than I; I lack some of the filters that the average person has in place. I would go up the the man and tell him to stop his behavior and notify the front desk. My husband says that you should proceed to drown him and tell the lifeguard you found him that way :-) Just kidding. Really though I would have confronted him.

2010-01-31 2:38 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: My first swim lesson
I didn't learn to swim until I was in college because in order to graduate, I had to pass a swim test. I haven't done much swimming since then and that was almost 20 years ago (Really?). Anyway, after a month of frustration with my front crawl, I finally signed up for private lessons and it was worth it. I learned so much in 30 minutes. I have homework for this week when I go to the pool on Tuesday and Thursday. I have 3 more sessions to go. I was lucky to have and understanding and competent instructor.
2010-01-31 5:36 PM
in reply to: #2645835

New user
Subject: RE: My first swim lesson

dajotkjo - 2010-01-31 8:38 PM I didn't learn to swim until I was in college because in order to graduate, I had to pass a swim test. I haven't done much swimming since then and that was almost 20 years ago (Really?). Anyway, after a month of frustration with my front crawl, I finally signed up for private lessons and it was worth it. I learned so much in 30 minutes. I have homework for this week when I go to the pool on Tuesday and Thursday. I have 3 more sessions to go. I was lucky to have and understanding and competent instructor.

Good for you - go get em!

It's taken me nearly 3 months to get from no crawl and struggling with breathing to do 18 lenghts none stop.

Pat...

2010-01-31 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2645813

New user

dajotkjo - 2010-01-31 8:26 PM

My husband says that you should proceed to drown him and tell the lifeguard you found him that way :-)

I would notify the desk - but this comment made me chuckle.

And yes - keep up the tips Alice.....

Pat...

Edited by Avoneer 2010-01-31 5:38 PM
2010-02-01 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Gross about the snot.

I am one of those people that totally waffles between confronting someone and "tattling" on them.
Once I was in the Y locker room and there was a 10 year old boy in there. Now I have kids, and one of them is 5, and I know when she turns six, she won't be allowed in the other gender locker room with my husband when I'm not there, but that's why they have family changing rooms. I get discomfort with letting a young child alone into the other locker room. But a 10 year old? I felt weird. I don't want to feel weird about changing clothes in my own locker room!

So I mentioned something to a staff person on the way out, and the staff member was very grateful I said something, and they sent someone into the locker room right away to mention to the family about using the family changing area or sending the boy into the other locker room.

With regards to the specific snot, I breathe out through my nose when I swim, so I imagine my share of snot probably makes its way into the pool, too. But I would not literally blow my nose into the water. Ugh!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12