BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-02-13 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2671381

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full
scott1223 - 2010-02-13 11:54 AM Thanks Dan, I wish money was NO object, I will check craigslist.  Just ran my goal for Feb. 6mi.  Felt good so decided to keep running.  Need a new goal for March...maybe 7mi??

That's a goal in itself, just being able to race at that level...When is the qualifing race?

Way to meet your goal!  That's awesome. 

The qualifying race is June 19th.  I don't know exactly how our local tri earned the distinction of being the qualifier.  The great thing about this race is that it was the last race I was able to do last year.  The next day I crashed and broke my arm.  It's going to feel good to get out there again.

2010-02-13 4:35 PM
in reply to: #2671492

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Thanks Dan!  I am looking at 7mi for March's goal, if not sooner.

That is awesome that the Sprint Qualifer is in your town and that you have already raced that course.  The way you are training should be no problem for you. 

Where'd the rest of our group go??

2010-02-13 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2587085

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Sprint_DA,

Representing your country would be awesome! Here in Whistler living the Olympic dream - inspiring to say the least.

Later,
Whato
2010-02-13 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2671615

User image

Los Angeles
scott1223 - 2010-02-13 3:35 PM Thanks Dan!  I am looking at 7mi for March's goal, if not sooner.

That is awesome that the Sprint Qualifer is in your town and that you have already raced that course.  The way you are training should be no problem for you. 

Where'd the rest of our group go??

Wow Dan  sounds like you got a solid shot at it! and  I am still lurking around, just a Embarassed, that i have not gotten in the pool  or run for a week, spin class is the only training I got and I do not really have anything to blame it on but me, weather has been nice most days i got my new shoes I have just been wimp out.
2010-02-14 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2671938

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

Whato, That is awesome you're right there for the olympics!  It is very inspiring, makes training that much more...motivating.

Bonnie,  Nothing to be Embarassed.  Do what you can, but don't stop anything.  Tell yourself, you are going run one day or bike or swim, then do that task.  Do beat yourself up...there is plenty of time to train.  Set your goal - make it realistic and go for that.  Don't try to over do it either.  How about a Peach challenge!  NO whites in the training log.  Make training fun and you will want to do something everyday.

The weather here in Maryland..stinks...snow covered streets and cold, no running or biking outdoors for me.  I am currently looking for an indoor trainer.  Going to the pool this afternoon, looking forward to that. Hitting the gym this am for a short run. 

Take care!

2010-02-14 5:41 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Bonnie,

Training is like flying to the moon. The hardest part is the first 10,000 feet, after that there's a lot less gravity and it's easier to do the work. Dig in and make sure you fight for the first 10,00 feet whether in the pool, bike or the run. Gravity in training is pulling you into the couch. Frown  Find a buddy to train with you so you're actually going it for someone else. Smile That may help get through those first 10,000 feet.

See you in the pool, or on the bike, or during the run,
Whato

2010-02-14 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2672689

User image

Los Angeles

Thanks for the pep talk guys, I am inspired.
 I was set for the pool today and it was closed!! oh well,  i did 20 min on the stationary bike follow by a 20 min interval run/walk on the treadmill.  I will get to the pool,  I have scheduled it for tues & wed and sunday.

2010-02-15 5:32 AM
in reply to: #2672980

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Great job! Keep on track and as Whato said that first 10,000 feet is the hardest, but once you're past it will be easier to do the work.  Keep your goals in mind and don't give up.

I did my first swimming class yesterday.  What a killer!  I am only at 500 feet, LOTS of practice needed in the pool.  I thought I knew how to swim,  I was lifting my head to high, not rotating my shoulders, etc, etc...I was working on techniques and was not counting laps or my stokes, got yelled at for not knowing my laps or stokes.  I was just trying to remember what I needed to work on...I just laughed and kept working on keeping my head down. 

Take care and keep climbing...
2010-02-15 4:26 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
I would also recommend reading the book "It's not about the bike" by Lance. Lance needs no second name in our house!

Then I recommend you watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QjYx6drVa- I cannot wait for him to do a triathlon!

WHAT IS HE ON - his bike...lol.

Later,
Whato

2010-02-15 10:33 PM
in reply to: #2674157

User image

Davenport, IA
Whato - 2010-02-15 4:26 PM I would also recommend reading the book "It's not about the bike" by Lance. Lance needs no second name in our house!

Then I recommend you watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QjYx6drVa- I cannot wait for him to do a triathlon!

WHAT IS HE ON - his bike...lol.

Later,
Whato

Did you read Johan Bruyneel's book "We Might As Well Win"?  I thought it was a fantastic book.
2010-02-15 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2672980

User image

Davenport, IA
BonnieB - 2010-02-14 9:44 PM

Thanks for the pep talk guys, I am inspired.
 I was set for the pool today and it was closed!! oh well,  i did 20 min on the stationary bike follow by a 20 min interval run/walk on the treadmill.  I will get to the pool,  I have scheduled it for tues & wed and sunday.

It's great that you made it work.  Sometimes it can be really tough to get motivated to change your plans for a day.  Good luck with the rest of your swims and the week!

2010-02-16 1:18 AM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Spring_DA Consider it read! Johan Bruyneel's book "We Might As Well Win"? Thanks for the tip.
Whato
2010-02-16 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2674766

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Found an indoor trainer on craigslist. Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer for $100.  Used it tonight with a Spinerval DVD was good for a short 30min. workout. Now it is not as good as riding on the road however when the roads are covered with snow and ice it is better than nothing.
2010-02-16 10:33 PM
in reply to: #2674766

User image

Davenport, IA
Whato - 2010-02-16 1:18 AM Spring_DA Consider it read! Johan Bruyneel's book "We Might As Well Win"? Thanks for the tip.
Whato

Also, not exactly Lance related, but the DVD "A Ride with George Hincapie" was really good.  More about his life than racing. 
2010-02-16 10:34 PM
in reply to: #2676374

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-02-16 7:26 PM Found an indoor trainer on craigslist. Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer for $100.  Used it tonight with a Spinerval DVD was good for a short 30min. workout. Now it is not as good as riding on the road however when the roads are covered with snow and ice it is better than nothing.

Nice!  Man, I wish I was in a bigger city sometimes.  Craigslist here tends to suck.  That is a sweet deal on a KK Fluid Trainer.
2010-02-17 5:38 AM
in reply to: #2676658

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Yes, only for that reason is a bigger city nice.  As for running or biking in the area is another story...you have to get up early or get outta the area.  I am lucky to have a running/bike trail 3mi for my house.  Use the 3mi as a warm up then hit the trail, weekends are usually crowded.

I am not running before my swim on Sun.  Was dead in the water last week.

2010-02-18 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2676785

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
How is everyone's training going this week.  I have 2 holes, one is a day off, needed the other was unscheduled.  I am off to the drainer 30 or 45 min ride. 

You guys see the womens downhill? 
2010-02-18 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2680145

User image

Los Angeles
so far so good this week, was able to run  for 30 min,  yesterday got a 2nd spin class for the week tonight.  Friday, Saturday and sunday are booked solid with family commitments but will still try to squeeze in some workout time.
2010-02-18 7:20 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Good to hear Bonnie. I had a great run today can't wait to upload it. Felt heavy on the way out but like a feather coming home. My running is beginning to actually feel good. I must be at the 5,000 meter mark now! Cool
2010-02-19 12:06 AM
in reply to: #2680777

User image

Los Angeles
Whato - 2010-02-18 6:20 PM Good to hear Bonnie. I had a great run today can't wait to upload it. Felt heavy on the way out but like a feather coming home. My running is beginning to actually feel good. I must be at the 5,000 meter mark now! Cool

5000 meters is the same a 5k?  cool, but feel good running? I hope to be there some day.

2010-02-19 4:21 AM
in reply to: #2681080

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Great job, Bonnie on staying on course.  Keep it up!

Whato, I have to admit I was not a fan of running.  I am now only up to the 6mi mark and hope to hit 7mi by March. (I don't know what that converts to in meters) but I am actually starting to enjoy running and even considering looking at a 1/2 mary.  We shall see.

Awesome job to both of you guys...Whato is the weather still mild there??  Our streets are covered with snow and ice  Tongue out.  So far all my training has been indoors, looking forward to spring.

2010-02-19 9:48 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
My training, or lack thereof, this week has been entertaining.  Was out of town and couldn't find a good way to fit anything in.  Got a really good 6mi run in last night...hill repeats.  Went to the gym today for my 6:15am swim technique class - canceled. So I guess I will be on the bike for a bit today, maybe a swim later on, and then hot yoga.  Swim tomorrow and start building volume again next week.

Sounds like you guys are all doing pretty well.  Keep up the good work!
2010-02-19 4:50 PM
in reply to: #2681549

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Hey Dan,

How about a Peach challenge for March.  See how many days you can go in Peach for March. Training something everyday!  What does everyone think?? 
2010-02-19 4:53 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Evening chaps. I've really been hitting the work outs hard this last 2 weeks
Still concerned about my running though, i get a pain at the back / top of my left leg just below the hip area, talked to a couple of the bt medic sthey gvae me a few suggestions and im going to get a trip to the GP in order, although i know he wont help becauseh es not a great GP :|

Also i was thinking about entering a race earlier in teh season, in may, however it would mean i only get 2 weeks of outdoor pool /suit training  due to pool not opening til mid may :\
http://www.fritton-lake-triathlon.co.uk/ would go for super sprint. Its also reasonably nearby
2010-02-19 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2682668

User image

Los Angeles
scott1223 - 2010-02-19 3:50 PM Hey Dan,

How about a Peach challenge for March.  See how many days you can go in Peach for March. Training something everyday!  What does everyone think?? 

Ok, what's a "peach challenge"? I am usally up for a challenge but I want to know what it is before I say yes.(doing it the other way around has gotten be in trouble)Wink
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full Rss Feed  

of 12