BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 105

2010-04-08 1:26 AM
in reply to: #2770346

User image

Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!!
Wow, 3 more pages in one night (different time-zone from most of you).

Related to swimming I've got one more site to add: ?http://www.swimsmooth.com/

It really stands apart from TI. It has a page about kicking too. Here, have a look if you want

This morning I as going to do a 1:30 bike ride with some LT work, coming to work but it was raining again. So, off I went to the Y and I used the spinning bike for 70 minutes including 2x20 minutes LT ride. I hope to run during the luch break but if I can it will surely be a wet run.

2010-04-08 2:03 AM
in reply to: #2775965

User image

newbz - 2010-04-07 7:01 PM if you, or anyone else has food/nutrition, or cooking questions feel free to ask, i grew up in a family of chefs and started cooking before i could read, so this is one area i feel 100% comfortable answering questions.

Ok...we'll start simple.  If you had to make a quick meal...30-40 minutes using everyday items you might have in your fridge...what would be your "go to" meal.

I don't cook very much...I'm not that good at it...but luckily for me, I'm not a picky eater at all. 
2010-04-08 5:48 AM
in reply to: #2775592

nc452010 - 2010-04-07 7:54 PM

I've watched every swimming (crawl) video I can find on Youtube.  I have an honest question to ask....

How much should I be using my legs?  In some videos, I see them flutter kicking.  That looks VERY tiring.....and IS, for me.  I see others using a sort-of (or, actual) small scissor-kick....JUST to aid rotation.  THAT looks most efficient....but, it's tough to do (for me).

So, I'll ask....which camp to you subscribe to?  Or, do you do/suggest a different approach?

Thanks.

jeff

Swimming is my best discipline - I'm fop swim, mop bike and bop run.
over the last couple of years I've totally reworked my stroke and I now have a one beat kick as advocated by the total immersion folks.  It has really helped me improve my times.  I've also worked hard on lengthening my stroke and decreasing my stroke count.  I realized also that my right arm was doing most of the work and my left arm was slipping water and was too far outside my body which was causing my some rotator cuff issues.  I fixed my stroke which has also helped my shoulder!
that being said, if we're doing sprints - i kick hard and fast.
2010-04-08 6:00 AM
in reply to: #2775592

User image

Veteran
nc452010 - 2010-04-07 8:54 PM

I've watched every swimming (crawl) video I can find on Youtube.  I have an honest question to ask....

How much should I be using my legs?  In some videos, I see them flutter kicking.  That looks VERY tiring.....and IS, for me.  I see others using a sort-of (or, actual) small scissor-kick....JUST to aid rotation.  THAT looks most efficient....but, it's tough to do (for me).

So, I'll ask....which camp to you subscribe to?  Or, do you do/suggest a different approach?

Thanks.

jeff

I am a cross between my own style mixed in with some Total Immersion. Although I was told last week that I have a very "TI swimming style".

I am not a flutter kicker simply because I personally feel I should save what ever is in my legs for the bike in run. Additionally when I flutter kick it does not really propel me forward, I feel like I am just wasting energy

I am probably a somewhat small scissor kick type of swimmer. Honestly, for me I am doing with what feels right. furious kicking doesn't work for me and I cant seem to figure out the two beat kick.
2010-04-08 6:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Here is a video I found from the 2004 Olympics that shows a 2 beat kick versus a 6 beat kick. It is interesting to see how both women are on the same pace regardless of their kick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oac5nUDns94
2010-04-08 6:12 AM

I've got a question about plans.

My "A" race isnt until Sept, although I may sign up for something else this summer as a warm up, and I have an important ows at the end of july.

Last year, I used the sprint plan from the book, The woman Triathlete, which worked well but is a 9 week plan.  How important is it to follow a written plan if they all pretty much alternate the 3 disciplines during the week and then alternate weeks of build and rest.  I think I get the idea and can follow the basic pattern.

today I'm taking a rest day after a major build week.  Tomorrow I plan to bike for an hour and then on Sat, I'll swim for 90 min with my informal masters group, run 3-4 mi on Sun.

2010-04-08 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2773879

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: Newbz'z summer mentor group is open!!!!
newbz - 2010-04-07 11:40 AM
jsiegs - 2010-04-07 9:33 AM
stefanier - 2010-04-07 6:25 AM Morning gang. Man I have a lot of catching up to do from overnight!

What workouts does everyone have planned for today? I am scheduled for 2500 in the pool and a 25 mile group ride. It is gonna be a long day!

Sweeeet, now that I know I'm in I'll share: Just started a HIM plan here and its got me redoing the bike and run LT tests this week (and its been awhile...). I've got bike up today. I believe its 1:15 with 30 min as the all out test. Just curious, has anyone done the bike test on a trainer? It avoids all the inherent problems of the road, but I'm not sure I could focus and keep my intensity up like I can on the road.
if you do it on the trainer, make sure you have some fans around you. the numbers might not exactly line up with outside (i know my HR is always WAY higher inside). the fans will help with that though.

So I did the bike LT test last night.  I understand the inherent problems with using HR as a metric (and when I have an extra grand or two lying around I'll get that powermeter but the results were a little confusing and was wondering what you think.  I was on an out and back with some small rollers but essentially zero net elevation change during the trial, save for that stupid steep bridge right at the end.  I started the test and at 10 min (or just before rather) I had to turn around on my out and back route, so I did and stood up to get back up to speed.  Immediately my HR jumped from mid 150s to mid 160s because of the standing effort.  For the 10 min I worked just as hard to keep my HR at 155 avg, but the next 20 min after that jump, it was mid 160s the whole way (ended with 166 avg).  I would have expected it to jump, fall back then continue its creep up, but it never fell back down after the standing effort.

I know that HR is just funky sometimes and the results are fine and I should just shut up and use it, which I will, but I like knowing why funky stuff like this happens too.  Also, part of me thinks that by watching my HR during the test, I'm only biking as hard as I need to keep my HR as high as I think it needs to be, if that makes any sense.  If I were blind to HR I may bike harder because I can't say to myself "ok, I'm at what I think my LT should be so I'm biking hard enough".  Do you ever look at your HR during a test?
2010-04-08 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2776126

User image

swmr2tri - 2010-04-08 2:12 PM I've got a question about plans.

My "A" race isnt until Sept, although I may sign up for something else this summer as a warm up, and I have an important ows at the end of july.

Last year, I used the sprint plan from the book, The woman Triathlete, which worked well but is a 9 week plan.  How important is it to follow a written plan if they all pretty much alternate the 3 disciplines during the week and then alternate weeks of build and rest.  I think I get the idea and can follow the basic pattern.

today I'm taking a rest day after a major build week.  Tomorrow I plan to bike for an hour and then on Sat, I'll swim for 90 min with my informal masters group, run 3-4 mi on Sun.

I started the year with a plan but after some time I realized all 3 disciplines are not at the same level for me and I have to differentiate the plan for s/b/r. Currently I am doing like 3 separate plans for 3 disciplines, namely increase mileage for the run and do one tempo run weekly, bike hills and do LT work, try yo correct the flaws in my swim stroke. As the race date approaches (about 2 months before the race) I am planning to start some interval work for bike and run.

Of course this is just me but it may give you an idea.
2010-04-08 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2776302

User image

jsiegs - 2010-04-08 3:31 PM

So I did the bike LT test last night.  I understand the inherent problems with using HR as a metric (and when I have an extra grand or two lying around I'll get that powermeter but the results were a little confusing and was wondering what you think.  I was on an out and back with some small rollers but essentially zero net elevation change during the trial, save for that stupid steep bridge right at the end.  I started the test and at 10 min (or just before rather) I had to turn around on my out and back route, so I did and stood up to get back up to speed.  Immediately my HR jumped from mid 150s to mid 160s because of the standing effort.  For the 10 min I worked just as hard to keep my HR at 155 avg, but the next 20 min after that jump, it was mid 160s the whole way (ended with 166 avg).  I would have expected it to jump, fall back then continue its creep up, but it never fell back down after the standing effort.

I know that HR is just funky sometimes and the results are fine and I should just shut up and use it, which I will, but I like knowing why funky stuff like this happens too.  Also, part of me thinks that by watching my HR during the test, I'm only biking as hard as I need to keep my HR as high as I think it needs to be, if that makes any sense.  If I were blind to HR I may bike harder because I can't say to myself "ok, I'm at what I think my LT should be so I'm biking hard enough".  Do you ever look at your HR during a test?

I rarely use my HR lately. But 2 months back I tried to do the LT test for bike. The result was 145, whereas I know I can bike at 175 bpm for about an hour (I know I did it last summer). It was cold, I was dressed accordingly, etc etc There are too many factors for the test and I decided against using HR for a while. I am quite happy with my decision up to now. Of course, it is a very controversial issue. There are a lot of people who use HR successfully for biking.

Edited by RogerWilco 2010-04-08 8:52 AM
2010-04-08 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2776363

User image

Master
Baltimore
RogerWilco - 2010-04-08 8:56 AM
jsiegs - 2010-04-08 3:31 PM

I rarely use my HR lately. But 2 months before I tried to do the LT test for bike. The result was 145, whereas I know I can bike at 175 bpm for about an hour (I know I did it last summer). It was cold, I was dressed accordingly, etc etc There are too many factors for the test and I decided against using HR for a while. I am quite happy with my decision up to now. Of course, it is a very controversial issue. There are a lot of people who use HR successfully for biking.

I like using HR for both bike and run as at least a secondary (or tertiary) metric along with RPE and pace.  In concert, they give me a good overall picture of what's going on on a given day and if I'm working as hard or easy as I want to be.
2010-04-08 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2776363

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
I can't help with the HR matter as I don't own one yet.

That brings me to another question, though.  I am looking to buy a HR monitor and don't want to spend more than around $150. I don't need a GPS with it.  So, what does everyone else use? Do you like it? What would you buy next time?  My dh thinks I need a polar brand, but I have seen a lot of favoritism on this site for the Garmin 305.

2010-04-08 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2775965

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
QUOTE] if you, or anyone else has food/nutrition, or cooking questions feel free to ask, i grew up in a family of chefs and started cooking before i could read, so this is one area i feel 100% comfortable answering questions.

Do you know what the average amount of protein one should be getting in a day? I have no idea but for some reason my husband is always nagging saying that I am not getting enough protien, also, suggestions for protein rich foods...
2010-04-08 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2776498

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
ddiamond - 2010-04-08 8:31 AM QUOTE] if you, or anyone else has food/nutrition, or cooking questions feel free to ask, i grew up in a family of chefs and started cooking before i could read, so this is one area i feel 100% comfortable answering questions.

Do you know what the average amount of protein one should be getting in a day? I have no idea but for some reason my husband is always nagging saying that I am not getting enough protien, also, suggestions for protein rich foods...

If anyone can give my some hints on how to stop eating carbs all day - that would be great too!  Cause I love bread (especially white bread)!
2010-04-08 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

Progress (I think).

1st pool session (last Wed.), I was only able to do ONE 50yd swim.  Tuesday, I did 8X50's (with rest).  Today, I did 12X50's (again, with rest).

I'm seeing my swim coach, tomorrow AM.  But, I "think" I'm gonna go to 16X50's....and then to 20X50's (resting between each 50)......THEN try to reduce the rest time......then go to 75's....then 100's.....then ???????. 

I feel SO MUCH MORE CONFIDENT than I did a week+ ago!  I'm gonna do this.  I'm gonna "get it", soon!

jeff

p.s. I used the fins on my last two 50's....and HATED them.  I'm much rather swim without them.

2010-04-08 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2776490

Expert
Ann Arbor
robingray_260 - 2010-04-08 9:30 AM I can't help with the HR matter as I don't own one yet.

That brings me to another question, though.  I am looking to buy a HR monitor and don't want to spend more than around $150. I don't need a GPS with it.  So, what does everyone else use? Do you like it? What would you buy next time?  My dh thinks I need a polar brand, but I have seen a lot of favoritism on this site for the Garmin 305.

I have a Timex Ironman HRM.  I think I paid about $90 for it new on Amazon.com.  I would highly recommend it.  It does all that I need it to.
2010-04-08 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2776045

User image

Champion
tri808 - 2010-04-08 1:03 AM

newbz - 2010-04-07 7:01 PM if you, or anyone else has food/nutrition, or cooking questions feel free to ask, i grew up in a family of chefs and started cooking before i could read, so this is one area i feel 100% comfortable answering questions.

Ok...we'll start simple. If you had to make a quick meal...30-40 minutes using everyday items you might have in your fridge...what would be your "go to" meal.

I don't cook very much...I'm not that good at it...but luckily for me, I'm not a picky eater at all.

my quick go to meal is normally something with rice and whatever is around.

tops takes 20 mins to make, start the rice, while thats cooking chop up veggies and protien of choice.

My normal combinations (just based on what i normally have around), are some mix of garlic, onions, carrots, peppers, zuchini, and then either chicken/beef/shrimp.

if the chicken/beef/pork is cut up smaller it can all go in the pan together, if not throw it in a few min before the veggies.

sautee this all all up on med to med high heat in a lightly oiled pan, and bam, food to go 9actually something like this tends to end up being my dinner a lot too).

2010-04-08 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2776302

User image

Champion
jsiegs - 2010-04-08 6:31 AM

newbz - 2010-04-07 11:40 AM
jsiegs - 2010-04-07 9:33 AM
stefanier - 2010-04-07 6:25 AM Morning gang. Man I have a lot of catching up to do from overnight!

What workouts does everyone have planned for today? I am scheduled for 2500 in the pool and a 25 mile group ride. It is gonna be a long day!

Sweeeet, now that I know I'm in I'll share: Just started a HIM plan here and its got me redoing the bike and run LT tests this week (and its been awhile...). I've got bike up today. I believe its 1:15 with 30 min as the all out test. Just curious, has anyone done the bike test on a trainer? It avoids all the inherent problems of the road, but I'm not sure I could focus and keep my intensity up like I can on the road.
if you do it on the trainer, make sure you have some fans around you. the numbers might not exactly line up with outside (i know my HR is always WAY higher inside). the fans will help with that though.

So I did the bike LT test last night. I understand the inherent problems with using HR as a metric (and when I have an extra grand or two lying around I'll get that powermeter but the results were a little confusing and was wondering what you think. I was on an out and back with some small rollers but essentially zero net elevation change during the trial, save for that stupid steep bridge right at the end. I started the test and at 10 min (or just before rather) I had to turn around on my out and back route, so I did and stood up to get back up to speed. Immediately my HR jumped from mid 150s to mid 160s because of the standing effort. For the 10 min I worked just as hard to keep my HR at 155 avg, but the next 20 min after that jump, it was mid 160s the whole way (ended with 166 avg). I would have expected it to jump, fall back then continue its creep up, but it never fell back down after the standing effort.

I know that HR is just funky sometimes and the results are fine and I should just shut up and use it, which I will, but I like knowing why funky stuff like this happens too. Also, part of me thinks that by watching my HR during the test, I'm only biking as hard as I need to keep my HR as high as I think it needs to be, if that makes any sense. If I were blind to HR I may bike harder because I can't say to myself "ok, I'm at what I think my LT should be so I'm biking hard enough". Do you ever look at your HR during a test?

While i no longer train with HR, when i did, and when i trained with power, on longer tests, after the first few min to make sure i didn't start too hard, no, i would never look at the numbers, because i would get stuck racing them vs myself. The purpose of a test like this to to absolutely empty the tank and see where that puts you.

If the HR stayed up past that spike it would likely has got there anyway, you just helped it along faster.
2010-04-08 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2776490

User image

Champion
robingray_260 - 2010-04-08 7:30 AM

I can't help with the HR matter as I don't own one yet.

That brings me to another question, though. I am looking to buy a HR monitor and don't want to spend more than around $150. I don't need a GPS with it. So, what does everyone else use? Do you like it? What would you buy next time? My dh thinks I need a polar brand, but I have seen a lot of favoritism on this site for the Garmin 305.
personally, i have had, along with a few of my athletes, a LOT of issues wit hthe 305, and polar from what i have seen/tested, makes some awesome products.

that said, before you get one, take a look at what you want out of it, its simply going to put some numbers to your training, you need to be able to take those numbers (or have a coach do it), and use them
2010-04-08 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Speaking of the TImex ironman.....

I'm thinking the 100 lap digital will do ALL I want, right now.  Any comments?

jeff

I'd like to use it for my swim training (eventually).  I'm sure I'll find aps for it in my running, too (again, eventually).

For +/- $50.......I don't think I can go wrong.  I've got a really nice watch, but I can't figure out how to use it for timing, well.

2010-04-08 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
ddiamond - 2010-04-08 7:31 AM

QUOTE] if you, or anyone else has food/nutrition, or cooking questions feel free to ask, i grew up in a family of chefs and started cooking before i could read, so this is one area i feel 100% comfortable answering questions.

DJ, actual recomended amounts for distance athletes i think is 1.2-1.4g per Kg of body weight per day. you do the math;-)

That said, i am NEVER that exact with it, i make sure to get some at the end of training days, but outside of that not a lot more thought put into it than that.

Protein rich foods: fish, chicken, pork, beef, some dairy, most beans, and tofu to get you started.

Robin, having a bit more protein in your diet will help keep you feeling full longer.
2010-04-08 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2776806

User image

Champion
nc452010 - 2010-04-08 8:48 AM

Speaking of the TImex ironman.....

I'm thinking the 100 lap digital will do ALL I want, right now. Any comments?

jeff

I'd like to use it for my swim training (eventually). I'm sure I'll find aps for it in my running, too (again, eventually).

For +/- $50.......I don't think I can go wrong. I've got a really nice watch, but I can't figure out how to use it for timing, well.

solid watch from what i have seen (i dont own a watch so i could not say for sure), but the 100 lap watch is very popular in all the reviews i have seen/with friends here.

2010-04-08 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2776825

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
newbz - 2010-04-08 9:52 AM
nc452010 - 2010-04-08 8:48 AM Speaking of the TImex ironman.....

I'm thinking the 100 lap digital will do ALL I want, right now. Any comments?

jeff

I'd like to use it for my swim training (eventually). I'm sure I'll find aps for it in my running, too (again, eventually).

For +/- $50.......I don't think I can go wrong. I've got a really nice watch, but I can't figure out how to use it for timing, well.

solid watch from what i have seen (i dont own a watch so i could not say for sure), but the 100 lap watch is very popular in all the reviews i have seen/with friends here.

I currently on my 3rd timex ironman 30 lap (the cheapest one!). Besides not having a HR monitor with it, it does everthing else I need.  I especially like that I can use it in the pool.  Never needed more than 30 laps, but I can see some instances where I may want more.
2010-04-08 10:02 AM

User image

Champion
ddiamond - 2010-04-08 7:31 AM

also forgot, nuts, good source of protein and good fats, nuts in the can!
2010-04-08 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2776813

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
newbz - 2010-04-08 9:49 AM
ddiamond - 2010-04-08 7:31 AM QUOTE] if you, or anyone else has food/nutrition, or cooking questions feel free to ask, i grew up in a family of chefs and started cooking before i could read, so this is one area i feel 100% comfortable answering questions.

DJ, actual recomended amounts for distance athletes i think is 1.2-1.4g per Kg of body weight per day. you do the math;-) That said, i am NEVER that exact with it, i make sure to get some at the end of training days, but outside of that not a lot more thought put into it than that. Protein rich foods: fish, chicken, pork, beef, some dairy, most beans, and tofu to get you started. Robin, having a bit more protein in your diet will help keep you feeling full longer.

Yeah, I am going to start eating more protein.  I think some of my carbo needs/ wants are coming more from boredom/anxiety than hunger.  I found that drinking tea in between meals,keeps me from snacking on salty and sugary foods. Tracking the foods I consume always helps and keeps me honest.
2010-04-08 10:21 AM

User image

Bend, OR
What do you think of peanut butter for protein?  Should I be worried about the fat content?  I've been eating peanut butter like crazy as a substitute for regular butter. 

Also yogurt I've found is pretty good for protein.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz'z summer mentor group is FULL!!!! Rss Feed  

of 105