BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2010-04-26 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2818168

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full
Fechter99 - 2010-04-26 6:58 PM Sorry I was not around the last few days.  Things have been crazy as usual with family.   We had a nice weekend.  My shins are doing great - feeling much better since Friday afternoon.  I taught my hour spin class this morning and had no pain before, during or after the class.   I did walk quite a bit on Saturday but it was on loose gravel and grass and made sure to do some stretches throughout the day.    I am thinking I will walk on the treadmill tomorrow rather than the track at the Y.  I was talking to one of the trainers on Friday at work who runs marathons.  He said the last place to run or walk briskly is the track - it is a thin layer of cushioned track surface over concrete over steel supports.  He also pointed out that to just walk a mile I have to go around the track 18 times - lots of lopsided turning on a HARD surface.  Makes a lot of sense to me.  I will see how I do on the treadmill.

I cannot wait for the weather to get nicer this week.  I have not been out on my bike in almost 2 weeks.

Randi, I was just listening to the tri-talk podcast and he was talking about alternatives to running when you are injured. Have you thought about using the elliptical or doing steep incline treadmill walking? 

2010-04-27 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2818513

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
eliwashere - 2010-04-26 10:40 PM
Randi, I was just listening to the tri-talk podcast and he was talking about alternatives to running when you are injured. Have you thought about using the elliptical or doing steep incline treadmill walking? 

Thanks Eli.  I did hear the same info about the elliptical or steep incline on the treadmill.  I just don't like the elliptical or the treadmill but might have to suck it up and just do it so that I can keep moving until the shins are totally better.   Another thing I heard is aqua running but have yet to give it a try.

Edited by Fechter99 2010-04-27 7:09 AM
2010-04-27 7:12 AM
in reply to: #2818369

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
outlawdave316 - 2010-04-26 9:50 PM I have been in the same pool situation, and didn't find it to be that strange.  The pool was tucked in the back of the gym, 4 lanes of solitude most of the time!  The deepest it got was 4 feet so besides a monumental cramp, I felt pretty secure.  I would also feel just as secure swimming the perimeter of a lake, so perhaps I am strange.  I don't think I would go hauling out into the deep blue sea without a partner in a canoe or a kayak though, just a little too much for me to bite off.

This seems so foreign to me not to have a lifeguard at the pool but I guess since my only gym experience is at the Y where I also happen to be a lifeguard it is all relative.  That said,  some of the lifeguards at the Y are no better than swimming with no one guarding.

Edited by Fechter99 2010-04-27 7:18 AM
2010-04-27 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2772633

User image

Master
Swimming Safety!
Hey all, I have been thinking about this one.
I think that the swimming thing is really a judgment call. However, as I said before, for me, the beach is just a potentially dangerous place.
Pools and lakes, for some reason, just seem less dangerous, and I am more likely to swim alone in those places.

I guess the biggest issue is how safe the conditions are. I would even feel OK at the beach if it was a calm day and I knew the beach, but I would still be a little worried.

Life in general is dangerous, and you can't limit yourself too much. But, when doing dangerous things, you have to be "safety first" conscious. 
2010-04-27 9:11 AM
in reply to: #2818180

User image

NH
Fechter99 - 2010-04-26 8:02 PM Jenna,  I would have to agree with everyone in that swimming without someone watching whether in a pool or OWS is not a good idea.   Why is no one guarding the pool where you are swimming?  

Blisters are tough.  I had some problems with my initial pair of sneakers.  I went to a running only store, and they set me up with shoes according to how I run.  I also have very fat feet so I now have extra wide shoes, and I've changed to RRS Dryroad socks which seems to help. 

During your run, do you feel heat where you eventually get blisters?  I use a little body glide on my feet where I feel a little heat during my long runs.  All of this has kept me pretty much blister free for the last few months.  Good luck.
2010-04-27 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2818862

User image

NH
Fechter99 - 2010-04-27 8:09 AM

Thanks Eli.  I did hear the same info about the elliptical or steep incline on the treadmill.  I just don't like the elliptical or the treadmill but might have to suck it up and just do it so that I can keep moving until the shins are totally better.   Another thing I heard is aqua running but have yet to give it a try.

Randi, definitely stay away from running until those shins are 100% recovered.  If you try to train through shin splints I think it only prolongs the agony.  Try everything and do whatever you can to keep the aerobic fitness up without running.

2010-04-27 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Bodyglide!! Awesome idea.

I get the blisters on the instep of my foot. It used to be on both feet, now it is only on the right and I wonder if that is because I broke my right ankle last summer and now my shoes fit differently from foot to foot? I was very aware that some shoes felt great on my right foot but not my left when I was trying them on, and vice versa. The pair I bought felt really good though, my concern was more for the toebox.

I have high arches and have tried stability shoes and cushioning shoes. The issue is that I need something that solidly supports my instep but also provides a lot of room in the toes. I find that things that feel good for my toes are much too loose around my arch, and things that feel secure at the instep are too tight in the toes. My last pair of shoes was actually a men's style because it gave just a little bit extra width without getting loose.

I also have blisters on the top of my second toe right now, where my toenail fell off. I don't know if there's much else I can do about that other than start wrapping them. I will wrap my toes and use bodyglide for the rest of this month and then decide if I want to keep shopping around. I love shopping, but running shoe shopping has turned into a pain in the , endless search!!
2010-04-27 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2819584

User image

Master
Jenna,
My wife used glide, and then switched to duct tape. No blisters under duct tape, but removal is difficult.

Sounds like you are right about breaking the foot. It could change things. However, I think most people have some size differences between feet anyway.

Maybe get a roomier shoe and an arch support insert? I have no idea. I used inserts for a while and they helped. 
2010-04-27 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2819246

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
wbayek - 2010-04-27 10:14 AM
Fechter99 - 2010-04-27 8:09 AM

Randi, definitely stay away from running until those shins are 100% recovered.  If you try to train through shin splints I think it only prolongs the agony.  Try everything and do whatever you can to keep the aerobic fitness up without running.

Thanks!  Took today off since the shins started aching a bit about midway through work.  I do a lot of standing and the floor is ceramic tile on concrete so not so leg friendly.   Just glad that I can wear my good sneakers.  Guess that is an advantage to working at the Y.  
2010-04-27 4:21 PM
in reply to: #2819584

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
trysprintolympic - 2010-04-27 11:44 AM Bodyglide!! Awesome idea.

I get the blisters on the instep of my foot. It used to be on both feet, now it is only on the right and I wonder if that is because I broke my right ankle last summer and now my shoes fit differently from foot to foot? I was very aware that some shoes felt great on my right foot but not my left when I was trying them on, and vice versa. The pair I bought felt really good though, my concern was more for the toebox.

I have high arches and have tried stability shoes and cushioning shoes. The issue is that I need something that solidly supports my instep but also provides a lot of room in the toes. I find that things that feel good for my toes are much too loose around my arch, and things that feel secure at the instep are too tight in the toes. My last pair of shoes was actually a men's style because it gave just a little bit extra width without getting loose.

I also have blisters on the top of my second toe right now, where my toenail fell off. I don't know if there's much else I can do about that other than start wrapping them. I will wrap my toes and use bodyglide for the rest of this month and then decide if I want to keep shopping around. I love shopping, but running shoe shopping has turned into a pain in the , endless search!!

Jenna, if you start shopping again, you might want to check out Roadrunnersport.com.  They have a 60 day return policy that allows you to run in the shoes and can exchange them if they are not right.  They have some store locations so if there is one near you, you could go try on there.  Hope the body glide and wrapping helps.  Blisters are terrible!

Randi
2010-04-27 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
I picked up a copy of Runner's World magazine today on a whim and the first page I flipped open was an ad for the 2010 Rock & Roll Las Vegas Marathon on December 5th. It felt like a sign - I was being called to run this race! So I already talked a friend into it and we're totally going and hopefully dragging our husbands along with us (for the vacation, not the running).

But I was planning to run my first marathon in Detroit on October 17th. Do you think it is possible or even a good idea to run your first marathon and then another less than two months later?

2010-04-27 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Hey Guys and Gals,

Haven't posted much since I late last week.  Just wanted to say thanks to everybody for checking out my training logs.  Please don't be afraid to comment or provide suggestions.  I have a feeling my participation in this group is going to be pretty one sided with me trying to learn as much as possible from you guys.

I am looking at these pedals, they are Look compatible and hopefully these shoes will work  Can't really tell from the website though.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCategory_10053_10052_200435_-1_200276_200316

These ones are lighter and cheaper

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_175104_-1_201485_10000_200435

Here are the shoes:
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_170216_-1_201485_10000_200384

Again thanks for all the advise and support.
2010-04-27 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2821407

User image

Master
Charlie,
I ride in the Nashbar sport II shoes. Super comfortable. I don't even wear socks half the time.
The special road pedals have been great as well. Just remember to put  a little grease on them so they don't rust! 
2010-04-28 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2821208

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
trysprintolympic - 2010-04-27 8:37 AMI flipped open was an ad for the 2010 Rock & Roll Las Vegas Marathon on December 5th. It felt like a sign - I was being called to run this race!

Woot! Sounds like a sign to me. How do you feel about the thought of doing two marathons two months apart? Do you have many other events between that you would also train for?

Charlie - glad to hear about the bike! I have had very good luck with nashbar. The shoes look good. Don't know about the pedals (I have the same ones that I have had for about 13 years...so I am sure technology has changed).
2010-04-28 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2821208

User image

NH
trysprintolympic - 2010-04-27 8:37 PM I picked up a copy of Runner's World magazine today on a whim and the first page I flipped open was an ad for the 2010 Rock & Roll Las Vegas Marathon on December 5th. It felt like a sign - I was being called to run this race! So I already talked a friend into it and we're totally going and hopefully dragging our husbands along with us (for the vacation, not the running).

But I was planning to run my first marathon in Detroit on October 17th. Do you think it is possible or even a good idea to run your first marathon and then another less than two months later?

Two months sounds pretty close together to me for your first two marathons.  I think if one of them was treated like a super long but well supported training run, that might make some sense.
2010-04-28 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Had a BLAST doing the aqua jogging this morning!!  It was actually a lot of fun and got my heart rate up there.  I think that even once my shins are healed this will remain a part of my workout routine.  

Oh and also got in a spin class where we focused on tempo/sprints and swam 800 yards while I was at the Y too!

2010-04-28 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2822883

User image

NH
Fechter99 - 2010-04-28 12:25 PM Had a BLAST doing the aqua jogging this morning!!  It was actually a lot of fun and got my heart rate up there.  I think that even once my shins are healed this will remain a part of my workout routine.  

Oh and also got in a spin class where we focused on tempo/sprints and swam 800 yards while I was at the Y too!

That's awesome Randi!  That attitude to keep at it until you find a way is awesome.

Sorry to take a non-tri related trip on our group, but how are you connected to Ryan's quest and his fight?  We have a very close friend with two sons with Duchenne's.  It's given my boys an amazing perspective and a very accommodating spirit to keep including these two friends in all their activities when they visit. 

It helps me to be very thankful every time I lace up the sneakers or cycling shoes, no matter how slow I am, just to be able to even do this at all.
2010-04-28 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2822986

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
wbayek - 2010-04-28 12:51 PM
Fechter99 - 2010-04-28 12:25 PM Had a BLAST doing the aqua jogging this morning!!  It was actually a lot of fun and got my heart rate up there.  I think that even once my shins are healed this will remain a part of my workout routine.  

That's awesome Randi!  That attitude to keep at it until you find a way is awesome.

Sorry to take a non-tri related trip on our group, but how are you connected to Ryan's quest and his fight?  We have a very close friend with two sons with Duchenne's.  It's given my boys an amazing perspective and a very accommodating spirit to keep including these two friends in all their activities when they visit. 

It helps me to be very thankful every time I lace up the sneakers or cycling shoes, no matter how slow I am, just to be able to even do this at all.

I am happy to share about Ryan's Quest.  Ryan is a boy from our town whose father is a police officer and mother is a school teacher.  They formed the organization to raise money to find a cure.

My entire family has gotten involved with Ryan's Quest almost 3 years ago now when my husband and I signed up to do our first triathlon.  My older son's baseball coach at the time is friends with the family and was forming a tri team to raise money through sponsorship for Ryan's Quest.  It seemed only natural for us to give our triathlon even more of a purpose so we signed on as part of the team. The triathlon we do as part of the team is actually my A race each year.  Doing the triathlon for Ryan last year was the drive to keep my going even when I wanted to quit.  It will be the drive to keep me going again this year, regardless of what happens with my shins. 

My older son completed his first triathlon and raised money through sponsorship for Ryan's Quest as part of his bar mitzvah service project. 

We have volunteered at many of their other events and plan to continue to do that as long as Ryan and other boys suffer from Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.

Thanks for asking.

2010-04-28 12:37 PM
in reply to: #2822883

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Fechter99 - 2010-04-28 12:25 AM Had a BLAST doing the aqua jogging this morning!!  It was actually a lot of fun and got my heart rate up there.  I think that even once my shins are healed this will remain a part of my workout routine.  

So glad to hear that the aqua jogging worked out...that will help you rest your shins I hope! Sounds like you did your own personal Tri...great job.
2010-04-28 2:19 PM

User image

NH
Awesome story Randi.  Thanks. 

As a parent of a special needs child, it's amazing to watch them overcome obstacles to do things we all take completely for granted.  Very inspiring and we should appreciate every little thing we can do.  And as your daughter has discovered, these kids bless us AT LEAST as much as we bless them.
2010-04-28 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2822592

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-04-28 11:31 AM Two months sounds pretty close together to me for your first two marathons.  I think if one of them was treated like a super long but well supported training run, that might make some sense.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Maybe run the Detroit half instead?

Thanks for all the inspirational special needs stories. It's great to hear about such amazing, positive people.

2010-04-29 6:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
I ordered my shoes and pedals.  Get ready for some quick laughs next week.
2010-04-29 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2824318

User image

Master
trysprintolympic - 2010-04-28 7:53 PM
wbayek - 2010-04-28 11:31 AM Two months sounds pretty close together to me for your first two marathons.  I think if one of them was treated like a super long but well supported training run, that might make some sense.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Maybe run the Detroit half instead?

Thanks for all the inspirational special needs stories. It's great to hear about such amazing, positive people.

I agree that it sounds close, but it all depends on your goals. If you tend to be injury free, you could run the first one "just to check it out" and then try for time on the second.
Or, peak for the first, and then take it easy on the second. What you DONT want to do is try to run hard on both.

That being said, I have run a marathon, Half-ironman, and then 200 mile relay all in an 8 week period. I did injure myself on the relay through the cumulative overuse though, so be careful! 
2010-04-29 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2824780

User image

Master
chmoore2 - 2010-04-29 6:45 AM I ordered my shoes and pedals.  Get ready for some quick laughs next week.

Charlie-Way to go!
You will enjoy it. I had the advantage of learning about clips back in the 80's when I had my first rush of cycling love. Those shoes were touch. Wooden soles and leather uppers. Man, I fell a lot.
Here is what I reccomend:
1. Look at bicycling.com at this article  or this one about cleat positioning. The gear you bought has a fair bit of float, but you still need to watch out for your knees. If you have pain, stop and get an LBS to help.
2. Start slow-I would plan on spending 30 minutes practicing in a driveway or parking lot.
3. Figure out which leg you like to put down when you stop. Most of us tend to one side. Practice clipping this on out BEFORE you apply the brakes. Coast, clip, brakes.
4. Get OUT of the saddle when you stop. You need to move your butt forward off the saddle, as it is nearly impossible to stand up from the saddle with cleats on a properly fitted bike. It is NOT comfy to point your toes and have that hard surface slip out.
5. Buy a first aid kit, and get ready for a bruise or two. My wife just learned and she had some hum-dingers!

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Edited by eliwashere 2010-04-29 12:40 PM
2010-04-29 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2824780

User image

NH
chmoore2 - 2010-04-29 7:45 AM I ordered my shoes and pedals.  Get ready for some quick laughs next week.

Good luck, you'll love it once you're used to it.  Some good advice given already so I just want to hear the stories.  Everyone post their first fall so Charlie feels at home when it happens.

I was riding in a huge fund raiser called the Pan-Mass challenge.  I was coming to a police controlled stop crossing a busy street.  There were probably 25+ bikes waiting to cross.  I just cruised in, stopped, completely forgot my feet were clipped in, and simply tipped over at 0 mph.  Everyone let out a huge round of applause and there was a lot of "I've been there" laughter!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full Rss Feed  

of 25