BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-23 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2811100

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED

Shioban - 2010-04-22 6:39 PM We'll see about the baseball progress throughout the season.....Tongue out I'd love to get together to swim but, you have to keep your expectations low...I'm just starting. It's hard to be next to people that are kicking my but, I find my confidence in the toilet. I try to just do my own thing but it's hard. I have always been a competitive person. I need to remember that I am only competing against myself. I will apologize in advance for our rotten weather sometimes. It changes so frequently. If you don't have anything set up for where you are staying, I can give you some tips as well as where to eat, go out, train, etc.

Shioban

Thanks for the offer, but I lived in Syracuse for 7 years.  I went to undergrad and grad school there.  I am very familiar with the area.  Where do you swim up there?

2010-04-23 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2777751

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

For those living in Boston (Sorry everyone else, I don't mean to leave you out, but this is what happens when we have a large Mass group)

We are getting together tomorrow in Hopkinton at Hopkinton State Park.  I am going to ride the bike course, which I think is 12 miles at 1pm and then do a little OWS at 2pm.  It's going to be nice out tomorrow, so the water temp should be okay by then.  If you aren't doing anything, come down and join us.  

Seren, I know you have a race on Sunday, so you are excused.  

2010-04-23 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2811694

New user

Syracuse
At the YMCA in Liverpool and Fayetteville. They have a great Tri program right now. Did you go to SU?
2010-04-23 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2812018

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Shioban - 2010-04-23 10:14 AM At the YMCA in Liverpool and Fayetteville. They have a great Tri program right now. Did you go to SU?

I did.  I graduated in 96 and 99.

2010-04-23 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2811935

User image

Expert
Boston
Boston Beginner - 2010-04-23 9:45 AM

For those living in Boston (Sorry everyone else, I don't mean to leave you out, but this is what happens when we have a large Mass group)

We are getting together tomorrow in Hopkinton at Hopkinton State Park.  I am going to ride the bike course, which I think is 12 miles at 1pm and then do a little OWS at 2pm.  It's going to be nice out tomorrow, so the water temp should be okay by then.  If you aren't doing anything, come down and join us.  

Thanks Josh.   I am bummed that I am going to miss meeting up with you!   I hope to be out there the following Saturday though! 
2010-04-23 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I noticed the majority of our group has a BT membership of some kind.  Other than helping to support the site, do you find it's worth the money?
If so why? 

2010-04-23 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Another question -
I need to buy a wetsuit.  I would just swim in my drysuit, but it would take me 5 min in T1 to reverse the birthing process to get it off  .  For simplicity's sake I was just looking at the Xterra's.  Is this a good route?  Would you recommend a full sleeve or sleeveless?  The main race I would use it for the water is 65 degrees.   However, I would like to use it in other places for practicing OWS.

Which do you guys use?

2010-04-23 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Boston Beginner - 2010-04-23 2:45 PM

Have a great time guys tomorrow guys & gals, i would love to fly to boston and join you from the sunny uk, but a damn volcano and a small issue of a £500 flight are stopping me from making tomorrows get together. 

Instead i will be riding alone at 9am for and hour or so on our pot hole covered roads then playing rugby in the afternoon! have a great weekend all !!

T
2010-04-23 3:58 PM
in reply to: #2808526

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Boston Beginner - 2010-04-21 11:52 PM

Tiesim - 2010-04-21 6:08 PM Hi Guys,

Just after your thoughts on something.

I am signed up for a triathlon on 23/5/10 which is a 750 sea swim (my 1st ows race) 20k bike and 5k run, now since signing up to this race which is 100 miles away from where i live, a local leisure centre has decided to do a race on 16.5.10 (the sunday before) and this race will be a 400m pool swim, 27km bike and 10k run.

As a local event i have a couple of friends entering so i would like to do it with them, but is it asking too much of my body to do 2 races in 2 weeks ?

I did my 1st race on sunday gone and am back in training already (see my log for what i have been up to if of use when replying)

Dropping out of the sea race is not an option as its near where my dad lives and he is going to come along and support me.

Thanks for your help guys.

T

Go for it.  You will be fine.  You have the fitness to do it.  Just make sure you rest a couple of days after the first.

Hi Josh, I decided to sign up for a marathon on sunday 2nd may (next sunday) and the  local triathlon on 15th may, i did not stop there and signed up for another oly in september aswell and will decide on signing up for the 70.3 in october in a week or so. races are not cheap but considering i will nbot be out on the booze on race weekends it works out about even !!

T
2010-04-23 4:32 PM
in reply to: #2812970

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Tiesim - 2010-04-23 4:58 PM

I am signed up for a triathlon on 23/5/10 which is a 750 sea swim (my 1st ows race) 20k bike and 5k run, now since signing up to this race which is 100 miles away from where i live, a local leisure centre has decided to do a race on 16.5.10 (the sunday before) and this race will be a 400m pool swim, 27km bike and 10k run.

As a local event i have a couple of friends entering so i would like to do it with them, but is it asking too much of my body to do 2 races in 2 weeks ?

I did my 1st race on sunday gone and am back in training already (see my log for what i have been up to if of use when replying)

Dropping out of the sea race is not an option as its near where my dad lives and he is going to come along and support me.

T

Go for it.  You will be fine.  You have the fitness to do it.  Just make sure you rest a couple of days after the first.

Hi Josh, I decided to sign up for a marathon on sunday 2nd may (next sunday) and the  local triathlon on 15th may, i did not stop there and signed up for another oly in september aswell and will decide on signing up for the 70.3 in october in a week or so. races are not cheap but considering i will nbot be out on the booze on race weekends it works out about even !!

T
LOL! I love that rationale!!
2010-04-23 4:38 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Hola Mentor Group!

I am in sunny Oaxaca Mexico!  Arrived yesterday for a 9 day stay.  My daughter spent spring semester here on a UVM program and just finished up.  I am trying to get a little training in while seeing the sites.  Swimming might be a problem since Oaxaca is in the middle of the mountains but it will be fine.  I would not dare bike on the cobblestone, crazy driving one way streets around the city but may do a mountain bike excursion into the Sierra Notres.  It is all good.

Hope everyone has some fun weekend plans!! 

2010-04-23 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Hi all, very off subject here but i was just checking out a favorite band of mines website and i saw they are touring in boston on 28.4.10, i strongly urge you to go check out gogol bordello, they are playing the house of blues.

They are a combination of gypsy, punk and rock music, they are excellent live, you dont have to know them to enjoy a gig and i expect its not expensive either, i seen them twice here in the uk and would see them tomorrow if they were within 100miles of me. check them out on youtube, so entertaining !! please let me know if you go see them, if nothing else its a rest from training and a new experience !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWYTyfQe-o8&feature=related

http://www.youtu*be.com/watch?v=ZTFufbcx8DI&feature=related

I am seeing them at the reading festival here in auguat, cant wait !! infact i qam at this exact moment trying to persuade mrs T to skip a girls night out to come see them with me in london !!

T
2010-04-23 6:11 PM
in reply to: #2812850

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

AlanaF - 2010-04-23 4:03 PM Another question -
I need to buy a wetsuit.  I would just swim in my drysuit, but it would take me 5 min in T1 to reverse the birthing process to get it off  .  For simplicity's sake I was just looking at the Xterra's.  Is this a good route?  Would you recommend a full sleeve or sleeveless?  The main race I would use it for the water is 65 degrees.   However, I would like to use it in other places for practicing OWS.

Which do you guys use?

I will answer both your questions.  We I started, the bronze membership was standard and free. Everyone was at least bronze.  I got the silver membership to support the site and get access to the other training plans.  I think the gold gives you access to coaches as well.  I have no regrets doing it.  They do specials all the time, so just wait for their 30% off sales and do it then.

As far as wetsuits go, I have a Xterra full.  I like it, but I would probably get a sleeveless if I had to do it again.  I feel a little too constricted in it.  You really can't beat the deals they have on them.  $99 for a wetsuit is pretty good. 

2010-04-23 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2812970

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Tiesim - 2010-04-23 4:58 PM

T

T

That may be a bit too much, but since I have never run a marathon, I will learn by your mistakes experiences.  You should be good for 70.3 in October.  You should start a 20 week program around the end of June or so.  I stopped added up how much I spend on tris.

2010-04-23 6:15 PM
in reply to: #2811308

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

bostonredsox - 2010-04-22 9:07 PM Figured it was time to say hi, and thanks for the words of encouragement,,I am a Tri virgin, who work too much for my own liking,,,I have no set training schedule but get up early and stay up late to get it in when I can,,my goal is Muskoka 70.3 in Sept. Every thing up to that is a bonous,,,,a few sprints and 1/2 marathons in the works,,, heading out to Deerhurst in late june or Early july to ride the crse,,, swiming is my thing ,,,been working hard on running and am looking forward to getting more time on the bike,,,I hate the cold and dont have any warm riding gear as of yet,,, So that it i guess, once again thanks for the push to keep going, best of luck to everyone with crazy goals, without them life would be pretty boring,,,happy training.

Don't be a stranger.  Let us know how you are doing and if you have any questions.

2010-04-23 6:18 PM
in reply to: #2811466

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

zachkoe - 2010-04-22 10:43 PM Shioban-
  I do alot of core work after my workouts. Mostly planks, abs work, back strengthening, and I will do some squats and such in there. I have read different things about strength training, so any one else who knows please help me as well! I read that because you want leaner muscles that lifting isn't the greatest to do, however, women lose muscle mass faster than man and so continuing with light weight high reps is a smart idea. I know my body feels better with at least core work.

Shioban - 2010-04-22 8:43 PM uh oh......Surprised Damn Yankees!! I heard that a lot when I lived in Texas. Can't we all just get a long? I'm a Buffalo fan as well??? I'm sure none of you are smart enough to do that your entire lives. It's been painful being a Bills fan.
Anyway, now that we have that all out of the way....wondering how much, if any strength training everyone does?? I have so little time in my night as it is, that I find it difficult to try to fit this in.
Thanks
Shioban

I do core, when I have time.   Core will help with running, biking, but especially swimming.  I don't do strength training during the season because I have no time.  I am lucky if I get my scheduled workouts in as is.

2010-04-23 6:19 PM
in reply to: #2813025

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

KOM - 2010-04-23 5:38 PM Hola Mentor Group!

I am in sunny Oaxaca Mexico!  Arrived yesterday for a 9 day stay.  My daughter spent spring semester here on a UVM program and just finished up.  I am trying to get a little training in while seeing the sites.  Swimming might be a problem since Oaxaca is in the middle of the mountains but it will be fine.  I would not dare bike on the cobblestone, crazy driving one way streets around the city but may do a mountain bike excursion into the Sierra Notres.  It is all good.

Hope everyone has some fun weekend plans!! 

Thanks for checking in, but what the heck are you doing online when vacationing in Mexico.  You better be by the pool with a drink in your hand.  Have fun.  

Boy we have BBMG people all over the world this week.  We a global group.  

2010-04-23 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2813127

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Boston Beginner - 2010-04-23 7:11 PM

AlanaF - 2010-04-23 4:03 PM Another question -

Which do you guys use?

I will answer both your questions.  We I started, the bronze membership was standard and free. Everyone was at least bronze.  I got the silver membership to support the site and get access to the other training plans.  I think the gold gives you access to coaches as well.  I have no regrets doing it.  They do specials all the time, so just wait for their 30% off sales and do it then.

As far as wetsuits go, I have a Xterra full.  I like it, but I would probably get a sleeveless if I had to do it again.  I feel a little too constricted in it.  You really can't beat the deals they have on them.  $99 for a wetsuit is pretty good. 

Ok, if we are going to put out the "when I started on BT" thing, I started when the site was about 4 forums long, no chat, no nothing. When I realized the site was funded the first year out of pocket, I sent in a donation to keep the site up and running. I have been giving to the site since.

Things I love because I am a member:

-Chat, beats 600 thread posts when having a conversation via thread ( please take no offense, I love stalking this thread.

-equipment tracker- gives a good idea if your equipment is worn out before you know it is toast (shoes and chains are biggies here

-funding all the new cool stuff comming on every day.

There are tons of things I am not even sure if they cost- route tracker, graphing, printing out workouts etc. If you can swing a Bronze, I think you will like it, even if you just try 6 mos.

Now for the wetsuit question.... start here with my video.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1537

My thoughts on Xtera. I looked into reviewing them with this reveiw. If I remember correctly, they did not carry my size, so a review was no an option. I know a bunch of people who have had them. I guess the best I can say is you get what you pay for. I have had a few friends wear them a few times and have issues with them. Xtera has been standing behind there suit, but waiting for it to go back and forth is a pain. If you take good care of it, you should be ok. It would make a good first suit, but I will stand behind all the suits I reviewed. They cost a few bucks more, but I can attest to the fact they will stand up rather well.

Hope that helps, and please feel free to PM or inspire me at any time on the topic of any of my reviews, articles or videos.

Joe

2010-04-23 7:59 PM

User image

Westborough
If the biking portion could ever be moved to @ 7am on Saturday/Sunday, I'd definitley attend.
2010-04-23 11:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the info.  Since it's my first wetsuit and I won't be using it a ton, I went with the Xterra Vortex 3 full sleeve.  All of a sudden, I can't wait to do an OWS.
2010-04-24 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2813253

User image

Expert
Boston
dmahr - 2010-04-23 8:59 PM If the biking portion could ever be moved to @ 7am on Saturday/Sunday, I'd definitley attend.

After my race tomorrow I would be up for a 7AM ride/run on a Sunday

2010-04-24 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Good luck Seren on your race tomorrow.  It's going to be a little muddy.  We can't wait to hear all about it.

2010-04-24 6:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm all full of questions.  When I swim I kick pretty furiously as any of you who saw my swim video know.
It's a whole lot of wasted energy that doesn't get me very far.  I was thinking of trying to learn a two beat kick.  Do any of you have any experience with this, and will it slow me down significantly, or is the energy savings worth it?

2010-04-24 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2808939

User image

Regular
Billerica
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - OPEN
KidIcarus - 2010-04-21 9:47 PM if money i+s no object, id say go to fitwerx in peabody ma.  they're crazy expensive but from what i hear, they do an insane job.

if you do go, PM me first.  I live about 10 mins from there and we can get a ride in afterwards.  =]

Thanks, that was one I had in mind but yes they are expensive.
2010-04-24 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Hi all!
  I am going for my first group run tomorrow, either 33mi or 48mi. I've never gone on a group ride before. Any advice? I don't know any of the courtesy sort of stuff. Its a no drop ride so at least i cannot be left in the dust
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27