BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-04-28 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2823132

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED

2010-04-28 12:37 PM
in reply to: #2778561

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the running tips. I have to go about run training in a weird way, because I get so many injuries. I've found over the years that I can usually stay injury free only if I limit it to one run per week. BUT, I've done two half-marathons this way, so it hasn't gotten in the way of building mileage. I've lately been experimenting with 2 runs/week, but the jury's still out on whether my bad knee and two bad feet will allow that. Maybe one short and one long run will do the trick. I probably need to look at form before speed to avoid injury, though. My freezer is FULL of icepacks!
2010-04-28 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2823177

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Here are some websites with video that I found about running form:

http://www.the-master-runner.com/awkward-running-form.html  (Chi running)

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/video/video.jsp?videoCatId=vidcat10015&videoId=vdo10006

http://www.newtonrunning.com/run-better/newton-running-videos/injury-prevention

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-improve-running-form-biomechanics-tips-253336/

These are just a few with one search!  There are some differences between them as far as posture.  I really liked the Chi running one, that made a lot of sense to me.  I'm thinking I'm already doing that??  I'll have to pay attention the next time I run!  This is kind of like swimming, without video you're not really sure what your body is doing!
2010-04-28 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the running form links Hilde! I'm off to check those out. Here's the book info I promised to post:

Run Workouts for Runners and Triathletes by Bobby McGee (from The Workouts in a Binder Series)

Tomorrow was going to be a swim and spin day but I'm feeling like a run instead of a swim so, it'll be a short treadmill run, some weight lifting (upper body and core) and then about 40-45 minutes of spinning class before I have to go to work.
2010-04-28 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Hey gang!  I spent my entire workday dreading my afterwork training.  However I was rewarded with a really good quality session both on the street and in the pool.  Once again proving that you should talk yourself out of planned training.  Just go to it!  Gotta keep today in mind next time I'm tempted to skip my workout.

Push on!
2010-04-28 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2824250

User image

Expert
jcarmody - 2010-04-28 7:13 PM Hey gang!  I spent my entire workday dreading my afterwork training.  However I was rewarded with a really good quality session both on the street and in the pool.  Once again proving that you should talk yourself out of planned training.  Just go to it!  Gotta keep today in mind next time I'm tempted to skip my workout.

Push on!

I absolutely agree-- the number of times I have to talk myself into going to the pool from work on Tuesdays and Thursdays beggars description...but I ALWAYS feel better once I'm in the water and moving! (You'd think I'd remember that, but each time it's a whole new argument with the lazier part of myself...)

Some great workouts people are logging these days-- most impressive and inspiring! Go, gang, go! *cheers*

2010-04-28 8:30 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for all the inspires!  As you will see from my log today, I had to talk myself into getting out of bed for the swim.  It was not my best workout, but I spent some extra time working on my kicks as opposed to swimming hard.  I did really make some kick improvement today.  Now I need to learn to use the kick to add speed.  It will come with time, right now, it's a pretty uncoordinated activity.  Must be pretty funny to watch! Laughing

For the weather issue here in the sunny (at least today) north, just grin and bear it.  (OK, maybe not so much grinning)  Good news is that it is supposed to improve here in MI this week.  Hang in there Janet!
2010-04-29 4:13 PM

User image

Harrison Twp
jcarmody - 2010-04-28 8:13 PM Hey gang!  I spent my entire workday dreading my afterwork training.  However I was rewarded with a really good quality session both on the street and in the pool.  Once again proving that you should talk yourself out of planned training.  Just go to it!  Gotta keep today in mind next time I'm tempted to skip my workout.

Push on!

I feel better too when i conquered that negative mindset and pushed on to what i had plan. Good for you!!
2010-04-29 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
jcarmody - 2010-04-28 7:13 PM Hey gang!  I spent my entire workday dreading my afterwork training.  However I was rewarded with a really good quality session both on the street and in the pool.  Once again proving that you should talk yourself out of planned training.  Just go to it!  Gotta keep today in mind next time I'm tempted to skip my workout.

Push on!

Today was actually one of those days where, when I asked myself what I wanted to do next, the response was unequivocally "SWIM!"-- so very refreshing, even in doing drill sets.

Hope everyone's training and/or resting is going well-- weekend's almost here!
2010-04-29 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
I had an AWESOME workout this morning - I just felt such an adrenaline/endorphin high...even more than usual for some reason...I was flying high for several hours even after the workout was done (abs/core, run, spin, and biceps/triceps - details in my log). Tomorrow is a weight training only day (a cardio day off). Anyone with big training and/or race plans for the weekend? I am aiming for a longish bike followed by a shortish run (brick) on Sunday - it will be my second brick off the "real bike" and onto the road vs. off the spin bike and onto the treadmill.
2010-04-29 9:38 PM

User image

"What we have is based upon moment-to-moment choices of what we do.  In each of those moments, we choose.  We either take a risk and move toward what we want, or we play it safe and choose comfort.   Most of the people, most of the time, choose comfort.   In the end, people either have excuses or experiences; reasons or results; buts or brilliance.   They either have what they wanted or they have a detailed list of all the rational reasons why not."  ~ Anonymous

I love this quote.  Have a great weekend everyone!

David

2010-04-29 9:58 PM
in reply to: #2827455

User image

Regular
What a great quote!
2010-04-29 10:10 PM

User image

Regular
Hi Everyone, 

Thank you for your inspires.  This group makes me want to work harder because you all pretty consistent with your training.  I don't want to seem like a slacker and I envy the dolphins in the groupLaughing.

I had an awesome day today.  I completed a tri with all of my race distances so at least I know I can finish the race.  My legs were on fire so I made sure to stretch those tight legs.
2010-04-29 10:13 PM
in reply to: #2827455

User image

Extreme Veteran
I love that quote, too!

I may have had a "breakthrough" with my swim coaching session today. I had a hunch that I was missing something important, because I was working awfully hard and not having much to show for it. Some of the things we talked about today really clicked and suddenly I was feeling more power with less effort. It had to do with getting a better "catch" and powering the catch and body roll from the core, rather than shoulders and arms. Just like in my martial arts training- you don't punch with your arms; real power comes when you put your whole body (powered by your core) into it.

I can't wait to get to the pool in the morning to practice! Hope everybody's having a productive week!

Tammy

T- 9 days to my next triathlon 
2010-04-30 6:36 AM
in reply to: #2827504

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Beautiful quote David, thanks for sharing that!  I'm afraid I chose comfort this morning... really wanted to get up and run, but legs are tired, stayed up past my bedtime last night, blah, blah, blah, just excuses!  Got up this morning to let the dogs out and it is STILL super windy!! 

45 mile bike ride on tap for tomorrow with Tammy (TTucker), supposed to be really hilly, yikes.  Hope the wind dies down!  It is not a race, just an organized ride put on by Fort Hood, and it's FREE!

Swim on tap this afternoon with my BT buddy, Brittany (TexasMPGal)... Sunday is a day of REST!!  I feel like I've scrimped on my running this week, but I definitely made up for that with the bike!!  Gotta get back to a normal run schedule next week...

Looking like another great training week for the MMM's!!!  Keep it up everyone!!
2010-04-30 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Can I just rant for a moment about equipment that goes into hiding when you need it?

I bought a pair of black arm warmers for a half marathon back in February. Wore them, washed them, put them away. Never saw them again. Looked for them a few times for bike rides, gave up. Somewhere along the way, I stumbled across them in the sock drawer, hiding among the black socks and relocated them to the 'workout gear' shelf in the closet. I picked them up this morning as I was rushing around trying to heard my daughter to school, sending off emails to school and girl scouts, cleaning the kitchen etc. Got back from the school run, just enough time to squeeze in a bike ride and... no arm warmers. Not in the closet, the garage, the kitchen, the chair I sat in to put on shoes. I only have one long-sleeve jersey, and I wore it yesterday, so I really need them. 10 minutes of searching, and where do I find them? Back in the *&#@! sock drawer with the black socks! I set them down there while I was trying to find a matching pair. Socks gone AWOL will be the topic of another day's rant.  

Hope you're all having a great Friday! Mine is much better now.

Turtle 

2010-04-30 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2828664

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Those pesky arm warmers, they just have mind of their own!!  (Or you're losing yours, Tammy, ha ha!)  That is too funny!  Hope you had a great ride!
2010-04-30 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Great quotation, David-- thanks for passing it on!

I'm pleased that I did my brick today and it went pretty smoothly. I'm hoping for a solid long run tomorrow and an actual outdoor long ride on Sunday, but that'll depend on the weather *looks out at gathering clouds*.

Hope everyone has a grand weekend, whatever your plans are!
2010-04-30 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey everyone! Tammy - LOL! at the arm warmer story - I could see myself doing that!

I had a good weight lifting session this morning despite my workout partner not showing up at the gym...SLACKER! lol tomorrow is a day off - just going to enjoy the BEAUTIFUL 80's and sunny weather with my kids - farmers market, picnic lunch at the park, and probably a walk with the dogs. Sunday AM I am planning a 20 mile bike and a 3 mile run - the weather is supposed to hold up for the start of the day Sunday with T-storms in the afternoon so we'll have to get an early start.
2010-05-01 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2829566

User image

Expert
Lovely-sounding day, Marsha-- hope you're out there enjoying it!

The morning here was surprisingly GORGEOUS, so I managed to get my run in...don't know about tomorrow's weather for the bike, though-- we'll see.

Hope everyone's enjoying their weekends!

Alex
2010-05-01 5:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
I feel like I've missed so much! I've been away from this thread awhile and had a little catching up to do! 
Everybody is doing such a great job!
I think Hilde said that it's inspiring to give inspires and it's so true! I'll go a day without and when I do I feel so much better. I think it helps me remember what I'm working towards.

I have a question for the runners. Do you bring water with when you run and if so how do you carry it? Do you wear a belt or just have a small bottle? I get so thirsty just doing a couple of miles with no water. Once it gets warmer out I won't be able to handle it.

Thanks in advance!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend! 

2010-05-01 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
I cant stand carrying water with me, the sloshing around drives me nuts - it's either too bouncy in a belt or I get sick of holding it. If it's really hot and I don't think I can do it without water I drive my route first and drop some water bottles at various places and then go back and get em when I'm done.
2010-05-01 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
I carry water for most of my runs.  I have a hand held bottle that I always run with.  On my long runs I also wear a bottle on my back.  I really think my race times have improved since I don't slow down to get water at the aid stations.  I also think there is an advantage to sipping water throughout a run.  I don't even think about it anymore.
2010-05-01 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2830729

User image

Extreme Veteran
I carry water for long runs or hot runs. For the last few months, I've used the kind with the hand strap. I like it pretty well, but it bugs me a little when my hand gets sweaty, so I recently bought a belt with a bottle in the back. I've only used it once, but it drove me crazy. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it bounced around and I was CONSTANTLY fiddling with it. 
2010-05-02 5:30 AM
in reply to: #2830903

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Thanks guys!
I never thought of dropping bottles off. That's  a neat idea.
I'll probably use a small bottle until I find a belt I like. The sloshing around annoys me too, but I'll deal!Smile
Trying to get myself out to run this Sunday morning since I'm up so early (it's 5:30). It's so easy to get up early when I don't have to! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41