BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian's group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-05-13 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2854380

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Brian's group - FULL
IronCowgirl - 2010-05-12 2:19 PM Thanks Rod! I'm feeling a lot better today, so I'll put in my cut-down workouts. I've skipped a few classes to get extra sleep, been drinking lots of water and taking my vitamins so hopefully I'll be back on top by the end of the week. I better be, 'cus on Saturday a group of us are heading up the Trail of the Coeur 'd Alenes which is a 72-mile paved loop for bikes and such and I'm super excited about it. I've never ridden more than about 30 miles at a time, so this will give me an opportunity to see how far I can get in a day. 

Pack some peanut butter crackers.  Those are awesome on long rides.

2010-05-13 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2801642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
We have several people racing this weekend.   It looks like Rod's first tri, and Katie's first Oly.  It also looks like Beth and Katie will be at the same event this weekend.  Remember to keep it fun, and we'll be waiting to read those race reports.  Good luck this weekend.
2010-05-13 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2856138

User image

Veteran
2010-05-13 11:18 AM

User image

Nashville, TN
Good Luck to Katie, Beth, and Rod!!!  Have a great race!
2010-05-13 11:26 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Race reports are always welcome as it is a great way to systematically reflect upon your race and discuss different approaches that will help you get better during the next race. (This is how I finally figured out how to get my transition times down!)

Good luck guys!

On an unrelated note, I am just about to leave to go to the USAT Coaching clinic in Orlando for the weekend ... so it is likely radio silence until Monday.

Have a great weekend!

ray6foot7 - 2010-05-13 11:16 AM We have several people racing this weekend.   It looks like Rod's first tri, and Katie's first Oly.  It also looks like Beth and Katie will be at the same event this weekend.  Remember to keep it fun, and we'll be waiting to read those race reports.  Good luck this weekend.
2010-05-13 12:09 PM

User image

Regular
Hey guys I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who's been wishing me well. I would not have been anywhere near this consistent with my training if it hadn't been for this group.

Good luck to the racers!

Have fun in Orlando Brian!

And Katie, I'll have to try those peanut butter crackers. 

2010-05-13 4:34 PM

User image

New user

Subject: The latest
So where have I been? You know how the saying goes...when it rains it pours? Well, I got a 'boo boo' over Mother's Day weekend. But it has not kept me back. Still hit the gym 3 times this week so far. I have not logged them because the cord on my laptop was malled by my puppy and the battery is dead with no way to recharge. So now I have to dust off the 'ol' granny' desktop computer( I was too spoiled with the laptop). Not in the greatest area so my internet time has decreased simply because I don't want to be on this dinosaur. I will have to catch up on my workout log. And read up on the latest with you guys. I haven't been on here since last Thursday? In regards to my boo boo, it has been strongly suggested I do not swim for 3-4 months. But I'm gonna give it about a month and I am back in. I used to be a nurse so I know some of the excesses are due to liability. I signed the dotted line. I can not wait for my husband to get home so he can fix everything! Wink
2010-05-13 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2848111

User image

New user

I feel like I just got a spanking Embarassed. But I love it! Thank you! I am a military implant here in Seattle area so this is ultimately the only support I have for this. I needed a good swat!

Teresa

brian - 2010-05-10 7:05 AM Okay, there has been some general 'slackiness' in keeping the training logs up-to-date.  Remember that this is a key ingredient in the Mentor Group program as it is the window into your workouts, the manner in which you receive feedback and motiviation from your peers and ... most importantly ... the means by which you hold yourself accountable to accomplishing your workouts.

I cannot tell you how many times I have stood on deck at the pool at 5:30 am, staring at the water and comptemplating the reasons why I did not want to do that workout ... but got in the water because I knew my BT friends would dog me for not doing it.

And why is this accountability important? Why do you need to consistently train for two weeks?  ... because results from exercise, first and foremost, are the sum total of the consistency of the exercise performed not the individual total of each workout.  Endurance is not like a bank account where each mile is like depositing a dollar whereby it is stored for later use.  It truly is a case of 'use or loose'.

It is for this reason that some of a work out performed is infinitely better than none of a workout done.

Log your workout!

... that is all, please now returned to your normally scheduled programming already in progress
2010-05-13 5:47 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Training Log??
I have figured out how to read inspires sent to me, finally. Now how do I give them? I clicked on the "inspire me"  and it just leaves me at their main page with no place to type in text. 
2010-05-13 9:56 PM

Regular
Augusta, GA
Thanks Ray! My first tri of the season. Wishing you a great weekend too!!!
2010-05-13 9:58 PM
in reply to: #2856437

Regular
Augusta, GA
Thanks! Can we change your name to motivated momma? Coz you are doing great and are so good at cheering people on!

2010-05-13 10:21 PM

Regular
Augusta, GA

Oops I almost forgot: my 2nd time trial is a 5k.

27:10

It was SUPER hot since I ran on a track w/no shade. I pushed it hard, and I'm ok with the time. I kept trying to relax pain on side of left knee and belly breathe to lower HR.

based on the 220-age formula, here are my stats.
highest HR was 170=98% of max;
avg HR was 125=72% of max.

I was actually trying to do with my HR monitor what I read in the article Brian posted, but when I got home I realized that the avg heart rate was taken based on all my entire workout time including the walk parts at beginning and end...of course! Sometimes when I run I am not thinking clearly, or maybe it's that sometimes when I'm doing math I'm not thinking clearly. No matter. I don't really know what my avg HR is for the last 20 mins of a 30min trial, so I guess I'll need to do that again. But I have to agree that it seems my threshold must be a little higher. 

I ran 12.5 mins in zone 5==wouldn't I have passed out if that was really close to 98% of my max? ???I? ?c?a?n?'?t? ?h?e?l

???I?  

2010-05-14 12:12 AM
in reply to: #2857676

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Training Log??
Teresa-

For my computer, I click on the "Inspire Me" for one of the days in someone's log, and then a window usually pops up. If it doesn't I check to see that it's not hidden by my browser window. I'm not sure why it pops up behind the window some of the time but it does. And I finally figured out that if you want to comment on an "inspire" that someone sent you, click on the "reply" button that goes along with their comment and the "inspire" will show up in their training log. I'm still figuring this out too! 
2010-05-14 3:35 AM
in reply to: #2857676

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Training Log??
Good to have you back Teresa! I don't know what a boo boo is - but it really doesn't sound good, sorry to hear it. I have the same experience as Erica with the "inspires" I click on reply, it takes me to their training log and I can't see anything else (sometimes), but when I close or minimise their log, the "inspires" form is underneath. Good luck.
2010-05-14 3:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Ran a 5k this morning, wasn't intending to do it quickly, but took 30 seconds off my time from 3 weeks ago. Wow if I keep improving at 10s per week, I'll probably be in the olympics by about June 2012! Ha Ha.
2010-05-14 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Cheeks asked me, "What keeps you motivated?"

I was asked to give a small presentation on this subject for our biking club whenever we get organized.  So I thought I would share it here.

1.  Find something you enjoy doing.  It looks like we have all chosen triathlons.  The key to fitness is consistency.  If you love doing it, you will be more consistant.  With that on my mind, is how I selected my training plan for this year.  It contained many workouts that I knew I would enjoy.  Is it the best plan for optimal performance?  It is for me simply because I will be more motivated to do them day in and day out.

2.  Accountability.  This mentor group can help with that.  Another way is to find a training partner.  It can be a friend, club, or team.  If you know someone is waiting for you at the pool, it is a lot easier to get to the pool, than it is to explain to your friend why you stood them up.  If you miss a weekly club ride, then you have to answer why you weren't there.  Also, let people know your plans.  I wouldn't want to tell my friends that I didn't even start my IM because I didn't get the training in.

3.  Set a goal.  Make it a concrete goal.  eg. "I plan on doing OKC Redman 140.6 on Sep 25 with a goal time of sub 12:00."   My goal until this year has been, I would like to finish an IM someday.  That hasn't worked out so well for me.  I have been saying that since I was 11 years old.  Will I get sub 12:00?  Who knows, maybe not.  But I am training like I want to be sub 12:00.  If my goal was just to finish sub 17:00, I would probably allow myself to skip quite a few training sessions.   Whenever I am feeling unmotivated, I tell myself, "You aren't going to be sub 12:00 by watching t.v. today."

4.  Make a financial commitment.  Once you sign up and pay for your desired event, it adds a whole new level of motivation to your training.

5.  Do other races and fun events before your 'A' race.  Run some local 5k's, or some organized bike tours.  These help make training a lot more enjoyable and less of a grind.  You can also meet people with similar interests.  Meet enough other "crazy" people and it can become a lifestyle, rather than a one time event.

6.  Reward yourself.  After a solid bit of training, go buy that new piece of biking gear you've been wanting.  Treat yourself to a steak dinner or sundae.

7.  Use Triathlon Jedi Mind Tricks.  1. Convince yourself that you are only gonna train 5-10 minutes.  If you still don't feel like training after that you can call it quits.  Most of the time though, you will decide  you really don't feel that bad and will continue with the work out.  (There are more mind tricks, but my notes are at home)

8.  Have a written plan on how you are going to reach your goal.  It is easier to be consistant while following a plan that it is to wing it day to day.  Your plan can be a brief outline or a detailed day-to-day plan.  It can be homemade, premade or a combitation of both.  Find one that is both enjoyable and manageable.  If it is filled with training sessions you dislike the most you are going to have a hard time following it.  If it is too hard, you will get discouraged and most likely quit. 

9.  Schedule training time into your personal and business schedule.  I e-mail my wife my training plan every week and when I plan to do each training sessions.  She is very supportive and will try to schedule chores and social commitments around those if possible.  If not, then I reschedule my training sessions to available time slots.  This also helps with accountability.  Just this Wed as I was tooling around the house, my wife said, "Aren't you supposed to be biking right now"  I had no choice but the jump in the saddle and head out the door.

I believe I had more keys to staying motivated, but my notes are at home.  I will try to find those and add them later.

I hope this helps a little bit Cheeks.

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-05-14 12:07 PM

2010-05-14 10:31 PM
in reply to: #2858990

User image

Nashville, TN
ray6foot7 - 2010-05-14 11:11 AM Cheeks asked me, "What keeps you motivated?"

I was asked to give a small presentation on this subject for our biking club whenever we get organized.  So I thought I would share it here.

1.  Find something you enjoy doing.  It looks like we have all chosen triathlons.  The key to fitness is consistency.  If you love doing it, you will be more consistant.  With that on my mind, is how I selected my training plan for this year.  It contained many workouts that I knew I would enjoy.  Is it the best plan for optimal performance?  It is for me simply because I will be more motivated to do them day in and day out.

2.  Accountability.  This mentor group can help with that.  Another way is to find a training partner.  It can be a friend, club, or team.  If you know someone is waiting for you at the pool, it is a lot easier to get to the pool, than it is to explain to your friend why you stood them up.  If you miss a weekly club ride, then you have to answer why you weren't there.  Also, let people know your plans.  I wouldn't want to tell my friends that I didn't even start my IM because I didn't get the training in.

3.  Set a goal.  Make it a concrete goal.  eg. "I plan on doing OKC Redman 140.6 on Sep 25 with a goal time of sub 12:00."   My goal until this year has been, I would like to finish an IM someday.  That hasn't worked out so well for me.  I have been saying that since I was 11 years old.  Will I get sub 12:00?  Who knows, maybe not.  But I am training like I want to be sub 12:00.  If my goal was just to finish sub 17:00, I would probably allow myself to skip quite a few training sessions.   Whenever I am feeling unmotivated, I tell myself, "You aren't going to be sub 12:00 by watching t.v. today."

4.  Make a financial commitment.  Once you sign up and pay for your desired event, it adds a whole new level of motivation to your training.

5.  Do other races and fun events before your 'A' race.  Run some local 5k's, or some organized bike tours.  These help make training a lot more enjoyable and less of a grind.  You can also meet people with similar interests.  Meet enough other "crazy" people and it can become a lifestyle, rather than a one time event.

6.  Reward yourself.  After a solid bit of training, go buy that new piece of biking gear you've been wanting.  Treat yourself to a steak dinner or sundae.

7.  Use Triathlon Jedi Mind Tricks.  1. Convince yourself that you are only gonna train 5-10 minutes.  If you still don't feel like training after that you can call it quits.  Most of the time though, you will decide  you really don't feel that bad and will continue with the work out.  (There are more mind tricks, but my notes are at home)

8.  Have a written plan on how you are going to reach your goal.  It is easier to be consistant while following a plan that it is to wing it day to day.  Your plan can be a brief outline or a detailed day-to-day plan.  It can be homemade, premade or a combitation of both.  Find one that is both enjoyable and manageable.  If it is filled with training sessions you dislike the most you are going to have a hard time following it.  If it is too hard, you will get discouraged and most likely quit. 

9.  Schedule training time into your personal and business schedule.  I e-mail my wife my training plan every week and when I plan to do each training sessions.  She is very supportive and will try to schedule chores and social commitments around those if possible.  If not, then I reschedule my training sessions to available time slots.  This also helps with accountability.  Just this Wed as I was tooling around the house, my wife said, "Aren't you supposed to be biking right now"  I had no choice but the jump in the saddle and head out the door.

I believe I had more keys to staying motivated, but my notes are at home.  I will try to find those and add them later.

That is an awesome put together piece (especially without your notes!)
I agree that is very hard if you have no accountability to make yourself go.  If I didn't know that I had to meet my training partner at the pool or for bike rides, I probably wouldn't go half the time.  Accountability helps in every part of life. Even though I am really enjoying this much more than I thought I would, I still need someone pushing me.

I really am glad to be a part of this group.  It has helped tremendously.  All my friends think I am crazy.  My husband is supportive, but would not push me to go get it done.

Thanks for asking that question Cheeks!!
2010-05-17 12:29 PM
in reply to: #2858039

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Woo hoo on the 5k ... is that a PR (personal record)?  

bdroppleman - 2010-05-13 11:21 PM

Oops I almost forgot: my 2nd time trial is a 5k.

27:10

It was SUPER hot since I ran on a track w/no shade. I pushed it hard, and I'm ok with the time. I kept trying to relax pain on side of left knee and belly breathe to lower HR.

based on the 220-age formula, here are my stats.
highest HR was 170=98% of max;
avg HR was 125=72% of max.

I was actually trying to do with my HR monitor what I read in the article Brian posted, but when I got home I realized that the avg heart rate was taken based on all my entire workout time including the walk parts at beginning and end...of course! Sometimes when I run I am not thinking clearly, or maybe it's that sometimes when I'm doing math I'm not thinking clearly. No matter. I don't really know what my avg HR is for the last 20 mins of a 30min trial, so I guess I'll need to do that again. But I have to agree that it seems my threshold must be a little higher. 

I ran 12.5 mins in zone 5==wouldn't I have passed out if that was really close to 98% of my max? ???I? ?c?a?n?'?t? ?h?e?l

???I?  

2010-05-17 12:42 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Ray,

These points are tried true, tested and spot on ... well said. 

The only alteration I do to the below is with the Jedi Mind Trick, which I employ just about anytime I get to the pool ), is that after 10 minutes into the workout I tell myself "...well, you are already wet and in a a minute or two you will be 20% done with the workout. Keep going and maybe we'll get 50% in today."

When I get halfway through the workout,  then I tell myself that more than half is better than less than 50% ... but if I go a little but further then it will almost be the entire workout - and that is good.  By the time I get to 70% I tell myself to shut-up and finish the workout without whinning to myself.

The funny thing is that I know what I am doing, yet I still fall for it each time. Why? Because I break the workout into manageable chunks.

If you get 10 minutes into the workout and are not feeling it then give it another 10 minutes to be sure. If you are not feeling it by then get out the pool, off the bike or walk back from the run knowing that you pushed yourself to do 20 minutes of something you did not want to do ... and therefore are stronger for it.

That said, I am with Ray and believe that you will just go ahead to finish the workout completely.

ray6foot7 - 2010-05-14 12:11 PM Cheeks asked me, "What keeps you motivated?"

2010-05-17 3:01 PM

User image

Veteran
These are great Ray. Thanks. I'd really like to emphasise point 5. I've had a race per month since starting training in February (and am yet to do a full sprint Triathlon!). With limited time between races, and for the most part "the next race" is more demanding than the last, for me it has provided a massive incentive not to miss training if at all possible. Effectively there is only three long rides, three long runs and three long swims between events - I really really don't want to miss them. oh and I don't think it matters what position you will come in the races (I am generally second last!!). I know this may not work because of work and family committments but if it is possible to schedule in some shorter, or single discipline races I would highly recommend it.  
2010-05-17 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
Ditto ^^^.  I do that for bricks (which are 2 x week for me).  15 minutes I can talk myself into but 30 minutes is a hard sell for me.  I did a 4 hour bike ride one day and DID NOT want to run nor did my training partner.  So I told her we could just do 15 minutes.  Then, I played more tricks by doing laps around a small lake.  At two laps, I was at 15 minutes so I asked myself, "can I do another lap?"....sure.  And then after that, "just one more?"......sure.  I have a slightly harder time doing that with out and backs because you are making that decision a little earlier.  Sometimes I end up settling for 20 minutes but that is better than nothing and better than 15 minutes too. 

Starting the workout is 90% of the battle.  The other 10% is breaking the workout into little parts where you can "see" the finish line each time.

(edited due to a nice chunk of words being missing)

Edited by crazyalaskian 2010-05-17 4:30 PM

2010-05-17 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Race Report - Mini Sprint Triathlon 300m swim/6km bike/1.5km run.
I'll try to keep it short! So overall happy with the time 26:41, which placed me 7th out of fifteen, and 6th out of the eleven men competing (OK so Jersey Triathlons are somewhat thinner in terms of contestants than your Triathlons will probably be!). This was a novice triathlon, so you could only enter if you hadn't completed a Triathlon in the last five years. Swim time at 4:50 was within what I'd allowed myself, but 20 seconds slower than what I was doing in training, and I came out of the pool tireder than I was from the training pace. I don't understand this. Bike leg was good, at an average speed of 29km/hr. I lost just under a minute versus the leaders on the bike leg. Transition was good, but I did manage to have the toe of my shoe hit the road as I was getting on the bike, which was scary for the moment that my back wheel left the ground. Getting off the bike was better (at least the practice paid off there!).And then...the run...uggh! It was only short, but it was painful and slow, I stopped for about 10seconds to catch my breath about 200m in, and overall lost 2 minutes versus the leaders on the run. Ran at about 10.5km/hr - yet I can do the 5km run at close to 12km/hr in training. Overall I deliberately didn't push as hard as possible on the Swim and the Bike to have something left for the run, but still didn't have anything left for the run :-) The best part of the race however was having the spectators singing happy birthday as I crossed the finish line! (First triathlon on my Forty First Birthday!). Overall the event was a lot of fun, and as hard as I find the run, it is a great feeling when you finish. I am both excited and nervous about the Sprint Triathlon the weekend after next!
2010-05-18 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2864028

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
First things first, Rod, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  ...and good job finishing a triathlon on that mile stone.  That is awesome.

As to your pace at the race, the way to fix that is ... drum roll please ... believe in your training and your ability to complete the race.  How do I know this?  Because I had been sandbagging my races until my coach started pointing it out to me.

One thing that you might want to add to your training is 'intensity'. This has done wonders in not only bumping up my pace but also in dealing with the adrenaline felt on race day.  Essentially what you do is add a couple of sets where you get outside of your comfort zone, stay there for a little and then go through'active recovery'.

For the swim, do something like one 'ON'/one 'OFF'; swim one lap fast and, without stopping at the wall, slowly swim back to the other wall.  Rest for 15" (no longer) and do it again. Do at least 3 of these ... even if it is a struggle.  The fast form will help you identify deficiencies in your swim stroke and make you feel uncomfortable in the water (something I hate and dread).  This will simulate the feeling you will run across at some point during the swim in a race.

For the bike, find a safe spot to do three to four 2 minute 'jumps' where you hammer out the pedals as hard and fast as you can maintain over the distance.  If there is a hill along the way, then so be it.  After each jump, spin-up your pedaling cadence to something noticably higher than normal.

For the run, do two sets of 'strides' for 2x40 meters where you just sprint all out for that short distance, whereby you space out each 40 meter dash by at least one minute of jogging with high cadence (number of foot falls). 

These speed sets are best done when your body is nice and warm, so it ought to be after a complete warm-up.

Also do not stop, under any circumstance, right after the speed set.  Instead keep moving forward so that you body goes through 'active recovery'.  There are a variety of physiological reasons for this but most important is that it creates the muscles memory and conditioning to keep moving forward during similar circumstances in a race.

Rod1 - 2010-05-17 4:25 PM Race Report - Mini Sprint Triathlon 300m swim/6km bike/1.5km run.
I'll try to keep it short! So overall happy with the time 26:41, which placed me 7th out of fifteen, and 6th out of the eleven men competing (OK so Jersey Triathlons are somewhat thinner in terms of contestants than your Triathlons will probably be!). This was a novice triathlon, so you could only enter if you hadn't completed a Triathlon in the last five years. Swim time at 4:50 was within what I'd allowed myself, but 20 seconds slower than what I was doing in training, and I came out of the pool tireder than I was from the training pace. I don't understand this. Bike leg was good, at an average speed of 29km/hr. I lost just under a minute versus the leaders on the bike leg. Transition was good, but I did manage to have the toe of my shoe hit the road as I was getting on the bike, which was scary for the moment that my back wheel left the ground. Getting off the bike was better (at least the practice paid off there!).And then...the run...uggh! It was only short, but it was painful and slow, I stopped for about 10seconds to catch my breath about 200m in, and overall lost 2 minutes versus the leaders on the run. Ran at about 10.5km/hr - yet I can do the 5km run at close to 12km/hr in training. Overall I deliberately didn't push as hard as possible on the Swim and the Bike to have something left for the run, but still didn't have anything left for the run :-) The best part of the race however was having the spectators singing happy birthday as I crossed the finish line! (First triathlon on my Forty First Birthday!). Overall the event was a lot of fun, and as hard as I find the run, it is a great feeling when you finish. I am both excited and nervous about the Sprint Triathlon the weekend after next!
2010-05-18 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2865091

User image

Veteran

Thanks Brian - I'll add the intensity sessions into my training. I realised after writing the piece on the race, that psychologically I now don't believe I can run at the end of a race. So will spend the next race reminding myself that I can run!

Cheers.

2010-05-18 3:06 PM

User image

Nashville, TN
I have a few questions.  Which is better to workout on a bike trainer or the reality bike at the gym? Also how do you simulate hills and such on a bike trainer?  I have been looking into getting some clip pedals which brand do you all recommend? I have just regular bike pedals.

Thanks!
Amber
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13