General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2011-04-05 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2941892

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George : Official Thread
I LOVE the super wing!!! Rolled it for the first time on a 110 miler this past Saturday-Its perfect! I really dig how the tube/repair tools are in thier own bag just kinda living underneath.

Just under 5 weeks, I took Sunday and Monday totally off as 'mental health' days. Just needed a break, and am really looking forward to my 10 mile run today!

Suzanne

2011-04-05 11:42 AM

SLC

Yep, new toys - I got an 11/28 rear cassette too, and swapped my 52/38 carbon crank from my road bike to my tri bike. And, picked up a much lighter HED carbon aerobar set on slowtwitch classifieds. So, I figure I'll have a much lower low gear, and probably dropped about 1.5 lbs from my bike from last year. I'm putting that in the "saving my legs" category, rather than "wus" category, but maybe it's both.

The reservoir being 56 degrees right now is very encouraging. They'll be some more nice warm days in the coming weeks. Sounds like it is going to be warmer than last year, hooray!

2011-04-05 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I'm really interested to see what my new wetsuit does. I was swimming(literally and figuratively since I only weigh 119 pounds)in a used mens size 6(for 147-162 pounds) and got fitted to a womens small(118-134 pounds)....I got the old one free(plus at the time I didnt have the $$ to buy one so I used) it but when I stood up after a swim I felt like my upper body weighed 1,000 pounds, and the water just dumped out.
2011-04-05 4:14 PM
in reply to: #3427575

User image

Master
San Francisco

No new toys for me, but I've had a lot of toys for awhile now.

My training was fairly minimal in March after IM NZ - had knee issues, finished up my vacation (i.e. no training) and then got sick after I got back (probably from the flight or from the 3 people who sit closest to me at work were all sick).  Consequently, I went 3-4 weeks with almost no training and was seriously considering a DNS.  Fortunately, in these last two weekends, I was able to start training again and I think I'll be able to train enough to start and (hopefully) finish (although not at my peak), but the next couple weeks will tell.  My tri club is headed down to Lake San Antonio for Wildflower training weekend so I'll try riding a double loop there.  If I can handle that okay, I should be okay for IMSG.

2011-04-05 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3431306

SLC

@LittleCat I bet it's going to make a big difference. I bought an Xterra a couple years ago. I bought a closeout '09, but they thought they were doing me a favor by giving me a '10 instead. But, their sizing had changed and where before I was a small-long, now I'm just a small. 

I wore the one that was a bit too big for one race, and seriously it felt like I was towing an extra 20lbs of water around. 

Once I figured out what happened, I couldn't exchange it because I caused a fingernail tear taking it off. But, they ended up patching that one, and gave me a properly sized current year suit one model down. I ended up selling the other and basically had a wetsuit for free. They have awesome customer service.

Swimming in the properly sized suit is 100% better. You'll be happy.

2011-04-05 5:31 PM
in reply to: #3431306

User image

Master
San Francisco

LittleCat - 2011-04-05 2:13 PM I'm really interested to see what my new wetsuit does. I was swimming(literally and figuratively since I only weigh 119 pounds)in a used mens size 6(for 147-162 pounds) and got fitted to a womens small(118-134 pounds)....I got the old one free(plus at the time I didnt have the $$ to buy one so I used) it but when I stood up after a swim I felt like my upper body weighed 1,000 pounds, and the water just dumped out.

What a drag, literally.  My suit fits me correctly and I've sometimes pulled in extra water into it and could notice that.  You must have been hauling around a lot of extra weight so your swim times will surely improve.

2011-04-06 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH

31 days to go....

Got some of new tri stuff... new pearl izumi tri shorts and new tri bike shoes (i had road ones).... On the bright side I think I'll actually get to ride outside for the first time this year! I have a plan 6hr ride/run on friday if all goes as planned. Damn I need to move out of Ohio.

2011-04-06 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3432003

SLC

So, 31 days to go -- that brings up the question of what is everyone planning for their taper?

I saw something the other day with a graduated taper:

3 weeks for run

2 weeks for bike

1 week for swim

2011-04-06 11:22 AM

User image

New user

Salt Lake City

My wife surprised me with a tri kit (shorts and jersy) from the California 70.3 which I ran last year.

We are getting close to th start date...it is going to be epic. 

2011-04-06 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
My taper is 2 weeks. Hours wise it breaks down to 10 for the first week then 3 for race week.

Now I just need to survive the next 2.5 weeks: This week is about 22.5 hours, next week is 23.5, week after is 'down' to 20.
2011-04-06 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3432461

SLC
Wow, those are some long weeks. The longest I've hit so far is 16 hours, and that's only if I count dog walking as training!

2011-04-07 1:33 PM

User image

New user

Salt Lake City
I know it depends on the weather but do most people wear their jersey and bike shorts under the wetsuit during the swim to save some transition time...or is it worth it to put on a dry jersey in transition?
2011-04-07 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3434606

SLC

Last year I wore a tri suit, which was nice except that it takes a minute to get out of it in an "emergency". This year, I'm going two-piece. Will wear it underneath the wetsuit. Trying to put a jersey or clothing on over a wet body is something I experienced in my very first tri...never again. 

Plus, I don't know what the women's side was like, but the mens changing tent was the biggest scene of chaos I've ever seen. It was hilarious. The fewer decisions you have to make in there, the better.

2011-04-07 6:40 PM

Hi all,

I'm in St Geoge doing some training and passing on some info.

Today was windy. very windy. Local weather says 45mph with gusts to 54mph. I  don't think i've ever been that sure i was going to 'bite it' in my life. i've done 10 IMs. The whole trip down RT 18 was scary. The gusts coming up thru the canyons were unbelievable. From talking to locals this is not usual but not uncomon. Be prepared. I had regular rims with bladed spokes. If you are going deep or disk you might want to have a 'plan B'.

On a more possitive note. I went to Sand Hollow on Tuesday. According to the water skier the temp is 62. Seemed about right. However the next few days are supposed to be rain and 50s. Tuesday it was 80*!

The course is hard, harder than LP, C'dA, Fla (everything is harder than Fla) Switzerland and Canada (i've done them) but if you pace yourself it's doable. The hard part is getting into a rhythem, between the constant undulation, cracked/potholed roads, chip seal surface it's quiite difficult. And it isn't just the 2 loop part, there are several good size hills at the start, on RT9, Washington Pkwy and Red Hills Pkwy (you'll be running that one too).  

Another point, these roads are worse than any other IM i've done. Probably any roads i've ridden on. Be sure of the tires and air pressure  you want on race day. Also, make sure everything  on your bike is secure. I know there will be bottles launched and spare tires, flat kits and nutrition paks all over the road. If you have a front mounted hydration system, be sure it is secure or it will drive you crazy.

i hope training is going well for everyone,

good  luck

2011-04-07 11:23 PM

User image

x2 on the tri kit under the wetsuit! At my first practice tri, I tried putting on a bike jersey on my wet torso, and some medics came over ready to give me some anti seizure meds!

@tritoswimbikerun - its interesting to get a perseprctive from a multiple IM finisher on the SG course...this will be my first, and I chose it mainly for the scenery and the challenge. So, now I will be looking forward to similar challenging courses like Canada, CDA and LP! But first....IMSG....

I am looking forward to my 2 week taper, and some full rest days...feeling fit, though! Getting excited as the day draws near...

2011-04-08 6:23 AM
in reply to: #3435153

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
tritobikeswimrun - 2011-04-07 7:40 PM

Hi all,

I'm in St Geoge doing some training and passing on some info.

Today was windy. very windy. Local weather says 45mph with gusts to 54mph. I  don't think i've ever been that sure i was going to 'bite it' in my life. i've done 10 IMs. The whole trip down RT 18 was scary. The gusts coming up thru the canyons were unbelievable. From talking to locals this is not usual but not uncomon. Be prepared. I had regular rims with bladed spokes. If you are going deep or disk you might want to have a 'plan B'.

On a more possitive note. I went to Sand Hollow on Tuesday. According to the water skier the temp is 62. Seemed about right. However the next few days are supposed to be rain and 50s. Tuesday it was 80*!

The course is hard, harder than LP, C'dA, Fla (everything is harder than Fla) Switzerland and Canada (i've done them) but if you pace yourself it's doable. The hard part is getting into a rhythem, between the constant undulation, cracked/potholed roads, chip seal surface it's quiite difficult. And it isn't just the 2 loop part, there are several good size hills at the start, on RT9, Washington Pkwy and Red Hills Pkwy (you'll be running that one too).  

Another point, these roads are worse than any other IM i've done. Probably any roads i've ridden on. Be sure of the tires and air pressure  you want on race day. Also, make sure everything  on your bike is secure. I know there will be bottles launched and spare tires, flat kits and nutrition paks all over the road. If you have a front mounted hydration system, be sure it is secure or it will drive you crazy.

i hope training is going well for everyone,

good  luck

If you see a tall, red head, lying on the side of the road, please throw her some gatorade

2011-04-08 8:22 AM
in reply to: #3435607

SLC
I'll toss a couple of shot blocks your way too. They get kind of sticky in my pocket, but that way you won't lose them. You're welcome.
2011-04-08 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3435607

ok. i usually have an extra bottle anyway. FYI, the course drink is Powerbar Endurance so you may want to give it a try. Some people really hate it.

Watch out for the bridge after Eagle Mountian and before Veyo. It washed out earlier and the repair job is just a bunch of loose gravel. You'll see signs 'Rough Road' - believe them.

Also, kinda late notice but anyone planning on riding this weekend - the weather looks like crap on Saturday and only a little warmer on Sunday. But the wind has calmed down : )

good luck

2011-04-08 5:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH

Thanks guys, I'll take whatever I can get! 

Kinda excited... I think I'll be able to get outside tom and sun for the first time this year... woo hoo!

Edited by laurak11 2011-04-08 5:53 PM
2011-04-08 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3435153

2011-04-09 12:28 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
I'm also getting excited for my 1st IM, thanks for all the posts. I seem to have come done with the flu this week. How soon should I get back to training? I'm starting to feel better today, but my energy level is way down. Should I wait until I feel 100% or start sooner. I just don't want to lose anything. I haven't done anything since Tuesday. At least today I was finally about to hold some food down.

2011-04-09 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3437600

SLC
I'm not a doctor, but most things I've read say resist the urge to get back too quick. Better to lose an extra day or two than to wear yourself down and extend your illness. You aren't going to lose much with an extra day or two of rest.
2011-04-10 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Plus training when your sick will be really sub par, then recovery from it(and the illness) will take longer as your body struggles.

Plus, training is just plain miserable when your sick.

2011-04-10 2:18 PM
in reply to: #3436901

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
laurak11 - 2011-04-08 5:53 PM

Thanks guys, I'll take whatever I can get! 

Kinda excited... I think I'll be able to get outside tom and sun for the first time this year... woo hoo!

I hope hope HOPE you got outside! I don't know how you do it all on the trainer!!

Suzanne.
2011-04-10 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3437839

User image

Master
San Francisco

transitionfour - 2011-04-09 2:28 PM I'm not a doctor, but most things I've read say resist the urge to get back too quick. Better to lose an extra day or two than to wear yourself down and extend your illness. You aren't going to lose much with an extra day or two of rest.

usually, the advice is if it's above the neck, it's okay to work out (within reason), but if it's below the neck (i.e. chest cold), then not to work out.  If you can't keep food down, that doesn't sound like it's very conducive to working out.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 13