BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2010-12-28 1:31 AM
in reply to: #3263852

Mercer Island, WA
Subject: RE: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED)
tri808 - 2010-12-27 10:37 PM Also picked up a really good tip at masters swim class today.  I've heard it many times before...but for some reason it really clicked today.

Coach told us that when our balancing hand is out front (the non stroking hand), we need to keep it just below the surface of the water (2-3 inches) until your actually ready to switch off and turn it in to the stroking hand. 

Most people, myself included, tend to let that hand drop 6-12 inches below the surface of the water before starting the stroke.  That's a double whammy.  Not only are you losing some streamline...but when you decide to start pulling...you're stroke is now 6-10 inches shorter.

Working on this little fix made a huge difference for me tonight.  I felt so silly for not realizing this earlier...but I will say that as the sets got longer...my shoulder got more tired from trying to keep that balancing arm up...and not letting it drop.

I've noticed I do that only when I'm breathing. I think I'm trying to take a relaxed breath and a long glide and as a result am dropping the hand. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I'm at the pool. 

2010-12-28 2:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
tri808 - 2010-12-28 3:37 PM Also picked up a really good tip at masters swim class today.  I've heard it many times before...but for some reason it really clicked today.

Coach told us that when our balancing hand is out front (the non stroking hand), we need to keep it just below the surface of the water (2-3 inches) until your actually ready to switch off and turn it in to the stroking hand. 

Most people, myself included, tend to let that hand drop 6-12 inches below the surface of the water before starting the stroke.  That's a double whammy.  Not only are you losing some streamline...but when you decide to start pulling...you're stroke is now 6-10 inches shorter.

Working on this little fix made a huge difference for me tonight.  I felt so silly for not realizing this earlier...but I will say that as the sets got longer...my shoulder got more tired from trying to keep that balancing arm up...and not letting it drop.

Ooh I really like that tip. I'm definitely going to look out for the drop of the front hand next time I'm in the lake! Cheers!! 
2010-12-28 6:00 AM
in reply to: #3263811

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-12-28 6:03 AM

2010-12-28 6:08 AM
in reply to: #3256440

2010-12-28 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3263772

Veteran
Maryland
Prince of Denmar - 2010-12-27 11:17 PM
pdc33 - 2010-12-27 8:12 PMWhat is your favorite healthy snack?

carrot, in slices with lemon and  'chile'

are they cooked or raw?

2010-12-28 8:28 AM

Master
Fort Wayne
There is a lot to catch up on this morning.  I was wiped out last night and crashed early.  I was in bed at 10 and out at 10:01

Will and Prince,
Giving back to others is something I think we miss as a society today.  I think we are so concerned with ourselves (myself included) that we forget the needs of others and how doing something small can make a huge difference to someone else. 

Melanie,
Running in HR zones can be pretty good information to use.  I tried working in the HR zones exclusively for a while and was talked out of doing that for the most part because sometimes there's more to it.  Most of the time now I workout with the rate of perceived exertion (RPE) theory.  Basically it is doing your workouts in a zone of where you FEEL your are at.  If the workout calls for a hard one then you run hard.  this is something that took me a bit of time to develop a feel for.  The HR zones can be a very good place to start to gather this information.   J can provide a better description than I have been able to.  I think most people on BT probably use RPE more than HR zones.  I use my HR monitor to provide information about where I think I am during the current workout.  For instance, if I am running an easy run and my HR is 155-160 and I feel great I won't slow down (depending on target distance) I'll just try to keep it in that area.  If I start to tire before the end of the run I slow down.

Bryan,
Like J said, trainer rides can be atrocious!  The workout I did yesterday was brutal.  The TV was on but there was little enjoyment while it was on.  It was more of a way to distract me from the pain.  Yesterday was the hardest WO I have done on the trainer yet, but it was successful.  Which means I will have to push that hard next time.

My favorite healthy snack.........pie, ice cream.........hey theres dairy and fruit in those things. LOL  Clif bars (White Choc & Macadamia) and peanuts and cashews.  Eating habits are pretty bad for me.

J,
I am going to the pool in a few minutes and I will pay attention to the way my hand falls but I am pretty sure I am doing exactly what I am not supposed to be doing.  Trouble is, I know now what to look for and I won't do it because I will be focused on it.  Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter what I used to do, it matters what i do now.

J,
Nice 6.5 miler.  What are your plans since finishing the mary?  Are you gong to keep the a high running base looking all the way out to next years mary again?

My lengthy post is over but I think that was the best way to catch up today.  When I go back to work next week this will probably be the way many of my posts will be.............LONG
2010-12-28 9:28 AM

Dirk...I'm hoping to get my mileage back up to about 35 mpw until early February, when I have a 8.1 mile race.  It's not really an A race for me...but I'm kind of excited about it.  It will be the only running race shorter than a half marathon that I have done in a LONG TIME.

Then I transition to full HIM training.  I'm starting to incorporate more biking and swimming now...but just trying to get the two diciplines reaclimated for now.  Ideally, I would like to keep my running at 35 mpw for HIM training...but I'm not sure if that's realistic.  Mabye 25-30.

This year (2010) I was around 20-25 for most of January - May...then cut back almost all my running when I did that bike focus over the summer.  I still may do another bike focus summer, but try to keep my running over 20 mpw to transition better into 2011 marathon training.

2011 looks like a heavy training year if everything goes to plan.  I think it will really help determine if I'm ready for a 2012 Iron distance race.
2010-12-28 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3263957

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
pdc33 - 2010-12-28 7:20 AM
Prince of Denmar - 2010-12-27 11:17 PM
pdc33 - 2010-12-27 8:12 PMWhat is your favorite healthy snack?

carrot, in slices with lemon and  'chile'

are they cooked or raw?

raw. just peel the skin and take the head off. rest is eatable.
By chile I mean what we call ''tajin'' which is basically chile powder.

Edited by Prince of Denmar 2010-12-28 11:01 AM
2010-12-28 10:17 AM

My short term resolutions:

~A total of at least 3 hours of training a week after my internship starts up.
~Give up Coke (I'm addicted), or at least limit it to 1 or 2 a week
~Finish a 5k by the end of Feb. all running/jogging
~Get 10+ mile rides on the weekend

Snacks:
Apples, pineapples, any type of fruit
Occasionally a Clif bar if I can't fit in a meal after a workout

2010-12-28 11:32 AM

Legs felt really beat up this morning.  Probably ran a little too hard yesterday...not taking my own advice...LOL.  Jumped on the trainer this morning and just felt like poop.  My washing machine started to make weird noises, so I had to jump off about 40 minutes in...then couldn't find the will to keep going afterwards.  I could have toughed it out...but would have been trashed the rest of the day.  I'll peg this unfinished workout to "listening to your body"...but deep down, I'm not 100% buying it.

2010-12-28 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3264065

2010-12-28 12:33 PM

Veteran
Favorite snack Apples, cottage cheese, pineapple, cottage cheese with pineapple, oatmeal, yogurt. Hit the gym this morning did a hour long spin class followed by swimming. I tried breaking it up into intervals by doing 5x200 I was averaging 3 minutes on each 200. What a workout compared to swimming easy for 1600 meters.Her is my new training schedule, I want to stick to this as close as I can without over training.New training schedule until winter is over (subject to change )
M swim 5 to 6am
run 1 to 1 1/2 hrs
T 2 hours of spinning
W Swim 5 to 6am
run 1 to 1 1/2 hrs
TH Spinning for 2 hours
F Lift then easy swim
Sat Long run 8 to 15 miles

That looks a little better, i guess thats what I get for posting with my phone.

Edited by garrunning 2010-12-28 5:22 PM
2010-12-28 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3264578

garrunning - 2010-12-28 7:33 AM I tried breaking it up into intervals by doing 5x200 I was averaging 3 minutes on each 200. What a workout compared to swimming easy for 1600 meters.

First off...that's some pretty impressive 200 sets.

But yeah...I try to do most of my swimming sets under 400 yards...mostly in the 50-200 range.  A lot of good swimmers have told me they can count on one hand how many times they swim over 500 yds continuous in preparation for a race....even of IM distance.  Sure, a few long swims help...but they tell me if you want to get faster...intervals of shorter sets (100-200) are the way to go.
2010-12-28 1:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
last day off reality for me. I am off to a friends house to play 'risk'..... don't think I will train today...
2010-12-28 1:20 PM

Coastal Carolina
Favorite snack: Emerald Cocoa Roast almond or blue diamond cinamon almond... 
Trying to get the bike squared away this week, needs new chain poss tubes etc.  Then depending on what my schedule does, supposed to go to either nights or complete other side of rotation.  Going to start the Olympic 20 week training plan.  Still making it to the gym but mostly running at this point going do a run tomorrow morning followed by a swim in theafternoon after my offduty...

2010-12-28 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3263517

That is good to hear.  Just like everyone else in the group, I do not have the time to spend 2-3 hours in the gym at a time, plus swim, bike and run.
I am really looking forward to learning alot from everyone in the group.  I am finishing up a winter maintenance program and I will be going into 12 week tri program as well as a half marathon training program.
2010-12-28 3:14 PM

Mercer Island, WA
Just got off my trainer for the first time. Wow, I expected it to be difficult but not that hard! Spent about 40 minutes on there. I didn't want to push myself too hard after taking a break for the holidays. I have planned just a few quick workouts this week to get back on the train to start the 16-week Oly workout plan from here on BT.

Funny story not related to tris. I headed to the LBS to get a trainer tire and for some reason must have been in a hurry. I went inside and noticed my keys weren't in my pocket but I figured I left my door unlocked. After heading back outside I noticed my car was still running. Weird, I never have done that before. When I go to open the door, it's locked. I just locked my keys inside my car while it was running!!! I felt like such an idiot. I went back inside and borrowed a phone book to call a locksmith to open my car. The guy at the LBS said I could hangout inside while waiting for them. I didn't really get to enjoy the store because I was afraid someone might smash my window and take off with my car! Not the best start to my day...
2010-12-28 3:21 PM

New user

Sorry all for taking so long posting my Bio but my computer had the "blue screen of death" and it took a bit for my husband to fix.

Name: Kathy

Background: It all began 6 years ago when I saw a picture of myself and realized how large I was (5'7" at least 230 lbs - yes a porker). At that moment I decided something had to change or I would remain this obese person and I can tell you I was not about to let that happen. One year later and 90 pounds lighter I discovered I enjoyed running (slow but I finish the race). I then discovered this sport called triathlon. Up until this point I thought triathlons were all IM in distance. But my husband's friend soon enlightened me to the different distances. For the last 5 years I have completed 3 (maybe 4) sprint distance and the swim and bike portion of the HIM. I learned that the swim really isn't all that bad (can you tell my weakest sport?) but I need to build up in distance. I will complete a HIM, just not this year. :-). My short term goal is to build a good solid base in all three sports but make sure I bring weights and flexibilty into the mix. Oh sorry I am 51 years old but feel a lot younger.

Family Status: Married 26 years and 1 college age daughter (neither are interested in running or tris but they let me do my thing).

Currently live in Minnesota and have discovered snow is a good thing.

Current Training: Cross country skiing, a little snow shoeing, beginning to get back into weights, and some treadmill running (I'm hoping to get my butt back outside but cold will tell). :-)

2011 races:
Key races (but will be doing a bunch more):
Winteriffic Snowshoe Race (Jan)
Grandmas 1/2 Marathon (June)
Northwoods Trail Race 1/2 marathon (July)
Tris either
Lakefront Days - Sprint (aug)
Or
Lake Marion Tri - Sprint (Aug)

Weightloss: Yes - 10 would be good, 20 even better.

Goals for 2011:
Loose a few pounds, run differing lengths of trail races (5k to 25k), build a good foundation for completing a HIM in 2 maybe 3 years from now, and train consistenly.

2010-12-28 3:23 PM

New user

Oops I forgot my favoriate running distance is the 1/2 marathon.
2010-12-28 4:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Good for you, Kathy!  Stories like yours are fabulous.  I didn't say a lot about myself just because I am very cautious about what I post.  I wasn't horribly overweight, but 7 years ago, both my parents died - one of cancer, the other 5 weeks later of a heart attack.  I started assessing myself and realized that I needed to be a lot healthier.  Cancer runs in my family, and I figured that if I were at least healthy, I would have a better chance to fight it if I got it.  So I joined Weight Watchers, lost 25 pounds, and through various forms of exercise, reshaped my body and my mind.   I love challenges.  I really like to push myself to see what my 50 yr. old body can do (and yes, I feel much younger, too).

I would like to ask a question.  Does anyone use all the speeds on their bike?  I am bike ignornant.   I will check my seat although it was adjusted at the shop where I bought it.

My favorite snack - plain greek yogurt with blueberries and dark chocolate chips and Stacy's nearly naked pita chips with Saba spicy hummus.

2010-12-28 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3264981

Extreme Veteran
Tx
luv2bhealthy - 2010-12-28 4:02 PM 
I would like to ask a question.  Does anyone use all the speeds on their bike?  I am bike ignornant.   I will check my seat although it was adjusted at the shop where I bought it.

I am surrounded by hills, so I usually do go through all my gears on outdoor rides... although lots of times I will shift 2 at a time when going up/down.
2010-12-28 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3265041

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Well, I rode my new bike for the first time Sunday.  I rode a route that I knew had some hilly areas.  On one particularly steep hill I set it at 3.  It took me a bit to get up the hill so I am sure I was in the wrong gear, but I am afraid of shifting too quickly and making the chain drop or something dumb like that.  How do you know you are in the right gear for the terrain?

2010-12-28 5:20 PM

Speaking of gears and shifting.... anyone know a good reference book or site so I can educated myself on shifting? I just came from Books-A-Million and didn't really find anything. Theres not many hills in florida but there a few overpasses on my trail and don't know the proper shifting for hills.
2010-12-28 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3265069

Veteran
luv2bhealthy - 2010-12-28 4:17 PM

Well, I rode my new bike for the first time Sunday.  I rode a route that I knew had some hilly areas.  On one particularly steep hill I set it at 3.  It took me a bit to get up the hill so I am sure I was in the wrong gear, but I am afraid of shifting too quickly and making the chain drop or something dumb like that.  How do you know you are in the right gear for the terrain?

I don't ride often just purchased a bike last week. But you want to keep your cadence higher, so when climbing if your legs are moving faster it will take less muscle therefore less energy to climb the hill. I hope that is right and you understand what I mean
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 45