BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2011-01-16 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3300746

Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed!
Weather here tonight is -4 F (aka -20 C in our lingo)
Let's just say today was "too cold for a cycle".
Saturday squeezed in weight training, today was a brisk walk outdoors because I was too lazy to head to the pool so tomorrow will be a swim and the treadmill before a day at the office.

---------------------------------------------
Ottawa Riverkeepers - June 11
National Capital - July 30
Canadian Iron 226 - Sept 3

2011-01-17 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!
LJK - -4F is definitely too cold to ride in for me.  Haven't tried running in that temp but not sure I would.

A project that we have been working on at home (updating the master bedroom) is almost done.  I put in hardwood floors and had it repainted.  I just need to replace the electrical outlets and switches (were ivory and have to be white now to match).  Now we just need new bathroom countertops and we are done.  Well I say we are done but I am sure my wife will have the next item real soon.

Temps are warming up here and my wife is back from her trip so I am going for a ride today.  Great time with the kids but now they can spend a little time with their mom!

EDIT:
One note, when I first started posting here my friends would leave me Inspires which I like.  Problem was when I went to respond I would just add a comment to the bottom.  What I should have done was hit the "Reply" button next to the Inspire than post your message.  That way the person that posted the Inspire sees your response.  Otherwise they have to keep checking your logs to see if you replied.Smile

Edited by GaryRM 2011-01-17 9:30 AM
2011-01-18 8:36 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Morning folks!
Not sure where everyone is but I wanted to take a roll call.  We have lost some members (I was warned this would happen) and would like to get a head count of those still active in the group.  I may open the group back up to let a couple more in if the group size is small enough.

Got a great bike ride in yesterday and combined with Sunday's long run I may take today as a rest day (instead of Thursday). 

How is everyones training going?
2011-01-18 8:42 AM

User image

aaah gary- good morning- it's snowing in boston again! did a long run this weekend- 11 miles. it was horrible because of all the snow banks, poor sidewalk condition, etc. sunday was an off day. acupuncture yesterday, and today (tah-dah) i joined weight watchers. again. for the 500th time. after spending the week eating out and drinking essentially everyday.

anway- the plan is spin today, start cooking healthy foods again- and only drink 1 night a week. another long run sat, and a hill run and second spin class thursday. possibly a swim friday night too.

hope everybody had a good long weekend!
2011-01-18 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
Not a great week in Nebraska for outside training so I've been doing most of mine indoors. Last week with work, illnesses and finding out about the plethora of weddings this year it was a challenging week. Every tri I want to do seems to land on same day as a wedding. I really need to sign up for one to get me more motivated in my training. Good news is I'm able to train more in the morning due to my hours at work getting pushed back. Hope everyone's training is going well.
2011-01-18 2:56 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Luna - I have to give you credit for getting the run in under those conditions!  Funny, I have had to limit myself to one beer a night but since I started doing my runs/trainer rides at night it has helped.  I hate to drink before exercising and I am not usually done exercising before 9:30. 

JP - hang in there, it will happen.  I am not a morning exercise person (except for my Saturday rides) its great you can get the workouts in then.

Today was supposed to be a SRD but my daughter wants to go running so I guess a short run is on for tonight.

2011-01-18 3:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
For me ,,, more spinning last night and tonight's regimen is a brick - spinning & running.  Too, I 've signed up for a swim clinic at my gym. I saw a leaflet in the aquatics area for "Master Novice Triathletes" and said BINGO!  The clinic is every Monday evening and my aim is to get my times down.

I'll do another brick on Thursday and get in some road time around home on Friday. 

All of next week I'll be skiing in the Sierras ... ahhh nothing like skiing the deep powder of Heavenly, Squaw, et al Cool

Ciaoo ...
2011-01-19 8:57 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Dorm - The skiing sounds fun!  Good luck with the clinic.

Wasn't going to workout last night but ended up taking one of the dogs for a run.  Good way to clear the head and step away from the house for a little while.  Swim today and may ride but I need a rest day so an easy swim and tonight will relax and have a beer.  Beer is good!
2011-01-19 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
I just started reading the 3rd edition of the Triathletes Training Bible by Joe Friel. I'm only 40 or so pages into the book and have already learned a lot. I'm surprised at how much emphasis he (as well as a majority of the triathlete community) puts on resting.

Here is are a couple exerpts from the Smart Trianing chapter:
"...Aim to finish workouts feeling as though you could have done more. For example, when there is only on interval left in you, and digging deep is the only way to complete it, stop. Don't do it."

A little futher down the page he says:

"...Althought this is possible to do, it is difficult for many of us. A self-coached athlete is often unsure whether to continue or stop. Doubt is a good reason to discontinue the session. When in doubt, leave it out."

It made me relax reading this. I've continually felt guilty for missing workouts due to life factors. Oh well. Happy training (and resting).
2011-01-19 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3309093

User image

this makes me feel much better about it too- i just haven't had time to make it to the pool in weeks. did acupunture monday, tuesday was lazy, today- spin class and stretching. tomorrow- hoping to get in a hill run or any type of run with this now- and then massage friday for my knee.

and friggin 15 mile long run saturday.

Undecided
2011-01-19 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
All, what equipment do you use for running to keep tabs on speed, pace and/or heart rate?  I have Polar equipment for cycling and HRM, but don't have experience with equipment for running.  I've read some info in the forums here on Garmin 305 and other devices, but again - have no experience or clue on what's best to use.  What's your recommendation?

Ciao ...

Edited by Dorm57 2011-01-19 3:05 PM

2011-01-19 7:02 PM
in reply to: #3309475

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Dorm57 - 2011-01-19 3:04 PM All, what equipment do you use for running to keep tabs on speed, pace and/or heart rate?  I have Polar equipment for cycling and HRM, but don't have experience with equipment for running.  I've read some info in the forums here on Garmin 305 and other devices, but again - have no experience or clue on what's best to use.  What's your recommendation?

Ciao ...

Dorm - I have the 405 with HRM and it works well for me.  Considering the 310xt when I start my IM training.  305 seems to work well for folks and sells pretty cheaply.  I have the Garmin bike sensor for when I am on the trainer.  Also considering something the like the SportCount Chrono for pool work.  I like toys so am always looking for a new one (just can't always afford one).

On Joe's book, very good advice that sometimes I don't listen to.  I am considering getting Friel's new book "Your Best Triathlon".  I have a couple of B&N gift cards and may cash those in for it.  Anyone read it yet?

Swam today and am off tonight.  Listening to Friel for once and enjoying a beer or two.  Had a good swim, things clicked for a little while and I enjoyed it.

We will have our first real challenge for next month.  Hopefully everyones weather will be a little nicer for Feb!
2011-01-20 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

Thanks for the info on the Garmin, I don't have any real equipment to measure distance, speed, heartrate for running or bike, I think this is something I might need to look into.  With limited funds it seems like such a big purchase, and I don't want to find that I buy something that does not work for me.  I usually research these types of things, get overwhelmed and then don't buy anything.  I keep hoping the triathlon fairy will just leave me one under my pillow, but so far that route has not worked. 

2011-01-20 9:17 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Keep an eye on the Garmin 305's on ebay, craigslist, etc.  You can get great deals on them and the 305 will definitely do most of the things you are looking for.  Main drawbacks are that it is a bit large, you can't swim with it (although there are work arounds for this) and the battery life is a little short to do things like IM's.  I have the 405 and works well, got it cheap, and is small enough I can use as a watch for days that I plan to run/ride at lunch. 

That said these are not total most have items.  They are very helpful but there are alternatives.  Also, look for the Garmin 301's.  The GPS is not quite as accurate but worked well enough for me and you can pick them up really cheap.

Okay guys, kinda quiet here so new challenge:

At least one general post a day and either a question or an answer to someones question every day thru Friday.  Starts tomorrow! 

Took some reps from a sister company to dinner tonight, completely killed my swim and am taking today as a SRD.  Ate way too much steak, drank too much wine, then had dessert (but didn't finish it).  Tough day at work but someone had to do it!  Thinking tonight will be an early to bed night.

2011-01-21 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
I'm taking a day off today. Had 3 good workouts in a row and took my wife out for sushi for her birthday yesterday. Glad no workout today
2011-01-21 7:56 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
JPF - Happy BDay to your wife!  Enjoy the day off.

Okay, question for ya' all (trying out my Louisiana accent, I am So. Calif born): Trisuit or Tri top/bottom?

Hoping to run tonight and ride tomorrow but it went from 70's on Weds to a high of 51 today and 56 tomorrow.  Perfect weather for running but tomorrow may be a trainer ride.  Yes, I know, I am a wimp!

2011-01-21 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

In answer to your question, I race in a speedo one piece swim suit, and then put my bike shorts and a tank top on over it when I get into transition.  Looking into maybe trying to get a tri suit I can wear in the entire race this year.

Got a run in today, I have to say I am pretty proud of myself with the amount of running I have been doing over the past couple of weeks.  I think it is helping that I have not been in the pool in some time, I find when I start to swim, I don't want to stop so it has been a conscience effort to choose a run over swim.    I am seeing a difference in my running endurance, small but definitely improvement.

What about everyone else, what area are you working on the most?

2011-01-21 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3305923

User image

Expert
Hammond
Hope it's not too late to respond to the roll call. I have just been working like crazy the last two weeks. Two of the nurses I work with have been out with the flu so I've picked up overtime shifts to cover them. It's been great for my bike fund but terrible for my training. Working 12-13 hour shifts makes it hard to come home and work out. I've been doing my regular body pump, step, zumba and pilates classes but haven't been able to fit much else in.

I also bruised or broke a rib, and have been in awful pain. It hurts like heck to exercise and to run. I've been trying to keep at it, but sometimes the pain is just too much. It's getting better though.

I am hoping to purchase my bike in the next week or two and I signed up for my membership to the indoor pool so I'm ready to get serious with my training. I also talked two more friends into signing up for the tri with me. I am so excited to have convinced them.

Anyway, after the epic novel, I am still here, just crazy busy and hurt.

Shelly
2011-01-22 1:26 AM
in reply to: #3314166

User image

Expert
Hammond
I would say I need to work on the run the most but the past week and a half I haven't worked on much of anything other than my regular exercise classes. I really need to improve my running though. I can't run four blocks outside much less three miles. Now I can walk them very fast but I want to run them. It's so odd to me though that I can run on the treadmill for a good thirty minutes but outside I can barely make one block. I just keep trying, but I will most likely be walking a portion of my first tri.Good question.Shelly
2011-01-22 6:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, NE
I really don't know what i need to work on the most. All three have good arguments. I took enough swimming lessons when i was younger to learn to stay afloat, that's it. And since i started training i've taught myself how to swim with a more correct form with the help of swimming websites. The bike has the most room for improvement overall. It just makes sense that the longest leg of the race is the bike. The for the run, I was a sprinter in high school and college. Ten years ago (and probably even 1 year ago) the thought of running more than a half mile or mile at once was ludacris. Also since it's the last leg I am apt to be the most fatigued. So I guess right now I will balance my traning between the three until I get a few more races under my belt to see where I compare to other competitors.
2011-01-22 8:15 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Hey everyone!
Love seeing the group active.  For me I think the area that needs improvement is my run than swim.  Last year I let me knee heal while I concentrated on two Aqua bikes later in the year.  The return to running has gone well but I have a long way to go.  Swimming I am working on my speed and my confidence swimming distances without a wetsuit.  IM distance with a wetsuit sure, without not sure.  Have to fix it.  Great question.

FitMomma - Never too late.  Considering everything going on and you are still coming back is impressive.  Its easy to let things like this go when life throws curve balls.  Take it easy and heal.  You don't want to make your injury worse but pushing the exercise.  Which bikes are you looking at?

2011-01-22 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Plainfield, IL

Gary - you mentioned Aqua Bike, what is that?  When I registered for the HIM, I saw that as an option, but I have no idea what it is.  Is it Swim/Bike portion of the race only?

2011-01-22 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3314959

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
swimmom2002 - 2011-01-22 8:35 AM

Gary - you mentioned Aqua Bike, what is that?  When I registered for the HIM, I saw that as an option, but I have no idea what it is.  Is it Swim/Bike portion of the race only?

Swim - Exactly, Swim and then bike but I should clarify.  In Oct of 2010 there was an Oly here (first in LA that I know of) and they offered the Aquabike.  Just the swim and the bike.  Great way to race if you can't run but you miss out on the finish line.  The second one wasn't technically an Aqua bike.  For Beach 2 Battleship IM distance I pulled together a couple of relay teams.  For my team I did the swim and the bike.  Great prep for my IM later this year.  I learned a lot about what an IM entails.  In my case my nutrition plan fell apart and I was a bit under trained for the bike portion.

2011-01-23 12:49 AM
in reply to: #3314936

User image

Expert
Hammond
Gary,The bike I most have my eye on is a Giant advanced avail 3 ( women's road) or advanced avail 4 (men's). It's a full carbon for 1550.00. I am not sure though if it's just way more bike than I'll ever really need or want. I just know that my finances won't support me buying a bike now and then in a couple of years or so, buying a different bike. So I'm thinking I should buy as much bike as I can afford since this will be my ride for many years to come. That being said I hate to spend money foolishly, and buy more bike than I need. So I'm also looking at a Trek ( the lexa xls), a specialized dolce, and possibly a Raleigh. The other issue I'm having is that I really prefer to buy from Capitol cyclery but they don't have the Giant I'm looking at. So I'm not sure what I'll end up with. I'm going to ride several in the next two weeks and just decide. Anybody have any opinions or recommendations?ThanksShelly Iron Girl sprint triathlon. May 22
2011-01-23 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3315945

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
fitmomma2010 - 2011-01-23 12:49 AM Gary,The bike I most have my eye on is a Giant advanced avail 3 ( women's road) or advanced avail 4 (men's). It's a full carbon for 1550.00. I am not sure though if it's just way more bike than I'll ever really need or want. I just know that my finances won't support me buying a bike now and then in a couple of years or so, buying a different bike. So I'm thinking I should buy as much bike as I can afford since this will be my ride for many years to come. That being said I hate to spend money foolishly, and buy more bike than I need. So I'm also looking at a Trek ( the lexa xls), a specialized dolce, and possibly a Raleigh. The other issue I'm having is that I really prefer to buy from Capitol cyclery but they don't have the Giant I'm looking at. So I'm not sure what I'll end up with. I'm going to ride several in the next two weeks and just decide. Anybody have any opinions or recommendations?ThanksShelly Iron Girl sprint triathlon. May 22

Fit - go with the bike that fits you and makes you happy.  Don't worry about if it is more bike than you need.  If you were talking about an $8000 super bike I might suggest otherwise.  Getting a bike from an LBS offers so much more than buying online it is a great way to go.  I don't know those bikes all that well (I am a Quintana Roo kinda guy) but as long as you get fitted to the bike I say go for it and be happy. 

Funny, I am in the same boat.  I am looking at the QR CD0.1 and feel its way more bike than I need.  On the other hand it will make me happy as its the bike I want.  If I can get one at a good price it will be mine and anyone that thinks it is more bike than I need can eat my speed sensor. Smile
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115