BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2011-01-24 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3315954

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full
bscoles1 - 2011-01-23 3:44 AM I decided to take advantage of the down time while recovering from surgery, and sold my spinbike on Craigslist. Actually, traded it for a bike trainer plus $125 cash. The bike trainer is a 1up USA aluminum trainer, which I have seen good reviews of. It's supposed to be real quiet, and perform very well. And with the extra cash, I will pick up a cadence sensor, and a garmin handlebar mount. Good times... now I'm itchin to get back to training!

Trainer will feel a lot harder then riding on the road, it is said that 60 mins on the trainer will equal 90 mins on the road, I love trainer work, trust me, it will do wonders for your biking.

2011-01-24 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3257607

User image

Expert
Monday Morning Motivation 

"How do you know you're ready? Let me tell you something... You don't. As I'm lying here in the dark, alone in the gym and thinking about the next 8 months, I know this... You won't find answers anywhere. It's not written in any book. There's no guide. No body's gonna tell you it's time. Only one person will know... You. You just got to want it bad enough. Maybe one day you'll wake up and you'll know today's the day and you start your own journey. Just remember this... Making the decision to venture into the unknown, into uncharted territory--that's the hard part. You get over that, and your future will open up. Destiny will be within your grasp. That doesn't mean things will get any easier. Heck no, they won't. But just getting to the edge, being able to look over--that's why I'm here. Listen, you can't wait until you think you're ready. I got news for you--you'll never be ready. You'll never be fast enough. You'll never be lean enough. Your lagging disciplines will never catch up quick enough. So if you waited for that time when you thought you might be ready, you'd never step up. And if you don't step up, you're not in the game. I'm in the game. I'm gonna look and see what's on the other side..."

2011-01-24 10:54 AM

Regular
Corona
That's awesome.

I love getting pumped up. There really is something about crossing the finish line and being there with 1000 other people who put themselves through the same pain you did. I love it. I agree with the sign up as well. Once you put skin in the game then it's real. You start training and working for  something and you see the progress and it all comes together for one beautiful painfest.

I need some opinions on race strategy...

I'm doing a reverse sprint on the 26th of Feb. Course is flat...on an airbase...so it's run, bike, swim. Do I go out hard on the run (which is my strength) and suffer through the bike or take it a little easier on the run and hammer the bike? Or should I just sack up and hammer through it all. What do you guys think?

Big Daddy - You say that 60 minutes on the trainer is 90 minutes on the road? So all the riding I've been doing on the trainer keeping my rpm's high on a hard gear will help on the road? I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time on the trainer. I'd rather have good quality workouts than alot of half cocked training rides.

You're the man when it comes to the bike so what you say to me concerning  the trainer is gospel to me.
2011-01-24 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3318059

User image

Expert
tmoran07 - 2011-01-24 11:54 AM That's awesome.

I'm doing a reverse sprint on the 26th of Feb. Course is flat...on an airbase...so it's run, bike, swim. Do I go out hard on the run (which is my strength) and suffer through the bike or take it a little easier on the run and hammer the bike? Or should I just sack up and hammer through it all. What do you guys think?

Big Daddy - You say that 60 minutes on the trainer is 90 minutes on the road? So all the riding I've been doing on the trainer keeping my rpm's high on a hard gear will help on the road? I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time on the trainer. I'd rather have good quality workouts than alot of half cocked training rides.

You're the man when it comes to the bike so what you say to me concerning  the trainer is gospel to me.

The usual mantra for a race is survive pace the swim, pace the bike, but use it to set up the run and hammer the run. Now, I never done a reverse tri, I have sorta is training, the key is leave something for the swim, you willl be tired, so make sure you drink alot on the bike so you dont cramp up on the swim. Personally opinion, I would pace the whole event, its the swim at the end that has me stumped, there is a reason why the swim is first in a race. I am interested to here how this race goes.

Yes, all that trainer time will pay dividends when its time to hit the back country roads, only time a trainer ride is wasted is when you go one speed at an easy gear, by mixing intevals, hard gear spinning, sprinting, one legged drills, form sprints, hills work (use large gears so it feels like going uphill) will make you are stud later on in the year. In fact, What I do, and some pros, they still do the trainer during the season to work on everything that just isnt safe while riding outdoors.
2011-01-24 1:19 PM

Regular
Corona

Right on. Thanks man. That makes me feel better about that. I'll keep working it and see what I can get done. I can feel a difference with my fitness on the bike I just want to see how it feels on the road. Either way I'll take your advice and keep at it.

The swim in this tri is only 200 meters and my training swims are at least 2-3k meters each time so the distance isn't bad. It's shorter than the warm ups I do. I am worried about the cramping like you mentioned. My first tri was a reverse and the second my foot went in the water my calf cramped and it stayed that way the entire time. So that I may have to practice and see what nutrition I can do to prevent that from happening.

I will let you know how it goes.

2011-01-24 5:38 PM
in reply to: #3317980

User image

Veteran
TriDiesel - 2011-01-24 11:26 AM

Monday Morning Motivation 

"How do you know you're ready? Let me tell you something... You don't. As I'm lying here in the dark, alone in the gym and thinking about the next 8 months, I know this... You won't find answers anywhere. It's not written in any book. There's no guide. No body's gonna tell you it's time. Only one person will know... You. You just got to want it bad enough. Maybe one day you'll wake up and you'll know today's the day and you start your own journey. Just remember this... Making the decision to venture into the unknown, into uncharted territory--that's the hard part. You get over that, and your future will open up. Destiny will be within your grasp. That doesn't mean things will get any easier. Heck no, they won't. But just getting to the edge, being able to look over--that's why I'm here. Listen, you can't wait until you think you're ready. I got news for you--you'll never be ready. You'll never be fast enough. You'll never be lean enough. Your lagging disciplines will never catch up quick enough. So if you waited for that time when you thought you might be ready, you'd never step up. And if you don't step up, you're not in the game. I'm in the game. I'm gonna look and see what's on the other side..."

Niiiiiice! Okay, I'm pumped!

2011-01-24 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Once again, GREAT motivation---it totally spoke to me!
I got my bike today! Its a 2010 Trek 1.1 (women specific design), marked down from $650 to $499...I am super excited to ride it tomorrow (the sun was down by the time I purchased it...must have patience....) When I tried it out, I was actually surprised at how comfortable it was leaning down to the drop bars--I've tried the drop bar design on other bikes and they just felt WRONG, I think this one fits me though.
As for the race fee, I need to go buy stamps to mail it in (was gonna do it online, but I couldn't get my student discount with that method. Gotta save some pennies!). So tomorrow I will get stamps and send it off!
Anyway, I'm in for a good bike ride with the husband tomorrow after school (first day back UG.), so we'll see how it goes---and yes after the mail goes out I will be TRAINING! Laughing
2011-01-24 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3319504

User image

New user
kgore - 2011-01-24 10:36 PMOnce again, GREAT motivation---it totally spoke to me!
I got my bike today! Its a 2010 Trek 1.1 (women specific design), marked down from $650 to $499...I am super excited to ride it tomorrow (the sun was down by the time I purchased it...must have patience....) When I tried it out, I was actually surprised at how comfortable it was leaning down to the drop bars--I've tried the drop bar design on other bikes and they just felt WRONG, I think this one fits me though.
As for the race fee, I need to go buy stamps to mail it in (was gonna do it online, but I couldn't get my student discount with that method. Gotta save some pennies!). So tomorrow I will get stamps and send it off!
Anyway, I'm in for a good bike ride with the husband tomorrow after school (first day back UG.), so we'll see how it goes---and yes after the mail goes out I will be TRAINING! Laughing
Awesome!!! I have the womens 1.5 and LOVE it! That was a great price too. Can't wait to hear how it goes tomorrow.Had trouble getting motivated to ride tonight....I just hate working out at night, I don't sleep well if I do....so now I'm hoping to ride before work and swim afterwards.....we'll see how that goes....I'm not much of a morning person either LOL!
2011-01-24 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3319504

User image

New user
kgore - 2011-01-24 10:36 PMOnce again, GREAT motivation---it totally spoke to me!
Awesome!!! I have the womens 1.5 and LOVE it! That was a great price too. Can't wait to hear how it goes tomorrow.Had trouble getting motivated to ride tonight....I just hate working out at night, I don't sleep well if I do....so now I'm hoping to ride before work and swim afterwards.....we'll see how that goes....I'm not much of a morning person either LOL!
2011-01-25 12:37 PM

User image

Expert

Here are some transitiion tips to help everyone out

10) Do:
Squirt any slippery cream, vaseline, or lotion product inside your bike or run shoes, to make your foot slip n' slide right in during transition.

Don't (guys): Use your wife's new and expensive Pomegranate-Vanilla Body Crème.

9) Do: Let the zipper pulley string on the back of your wetsuit hang free, as it's easier to grab as you run out of the swim.

Don't: Grab other people's free-hanging zipper pulley strings as you swim past them.

8) Do: Leave your bike shoes attached to your bike pedals and perform a barefoot mount as you pass the mount line.

Don't: Go bragging to your neighboors that you're a "barefoot mounter" - they won't know what you mean and will likely be very concerned.

7) Do: Keep your hands free by leaving your cap and goggles on until after you've removed at least the upper part of your wetsuit.

Don't: Keep the goggles on the rest of the race to save time in transition and money on sunglasses.

6) Do: Run through transition prior to the race to practice spotting your bike.

Don't: Hang helium balloons from your bike, paint your bike neon colors, or rip your car alarm out of your car, hang it on your bike handlebars, and activate it as you run through transition.

5) Do: Wear your heart rate monitor, watch, and race belt under your wetsuit to save time. Don't: Wear your bike helmet under your swim cap to also save time.

4) Do: Put your sunglasses inside your helmet so you can easily locate them.

Don't: Forget that you did this and put your helmet on, then run around transition screaming if anyone has seen your sunglasses.

3) Do: Roll your socks down so that your feet slip into them more quickly.

Don't: Squirt that lotion stuff into your socks.

2) Do: Test the tension on those brand new elastic shoelaces by actually putting your feet into your shoes before the race.

Don't: Go to the medical tent if your feet become stuck inside the elastic-equipped shoes - just remain calm and cool and pour boiling water on the shoes to stretch out the elastic laces and free your feet.

1) Do: Go to that same soft, grassy golf course and practicing dismounting from your bike while leaving the shoes attached to the pedals.

Don't: Go into the clubhouse and complain about people shooting balls at you while you're trying to ride your bike, darn it.

2011-01-25 1:23 PM

User image

New user
funny BDD!!!  you have the best lists ever!!!

random question about trisuits.....i found an awesome deal on a saucony trisuit at TJ Maxx for $24 (i know, thats a really random item!!!) is it better to have a suit that it slightly too large or slightly too small?  are they like bathing suits and suck to your skin when wet or will they loosen up and drag???  they didnt have the size i would normally wear only a size larger.  it fits well in the shorts area and fits ok up top, not as tight as normal though.  it was such a good deal though, i will at least use it to ride in during the summer.  just not sure if its going to work for races. 

2011-01-25 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3320844

User image

Expert
laurabs24 - 2011-01-25 2:23 PM funny BDD!!!  you have the best lists ever!!!

random question about trisuits.....i found an awesome deal on a saucony trisuit at TJ Maxx for $24 (i know, thats a really random item!!!) is it better to have a suit that it slightly too large or slightly too small?  are they like bathing suits and suck to your skin when wet or will they loosen up and drag???  they didnt have the size i would normally wear only a size larger.  it fits well in the shorts area and fits ok up top, not as tight as normal though.  it was such a good deal though, i will at least use it to ride in during the summer.  just not sure if its going to work for races. 

Now I want to goto TJ Maxx and look and see, that is a screaming deal, since most tri suits are $100+. Does it have the chamios too? It will stick to you in the water, its worth a shot, might shrink after washing too
2011-01-25 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3313526

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-01-25 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3320881

New user
TriDiesel - 2011-01-25 2:35 PM
laurabs24 - 2011-01-25 2:23 PM funny BDD!!!  you have the best lists ever!!!

Now I want to goto TJ Maxx and look and see, that is a screaming deal, since most tri suits are $100+. Does it have the chamios too? It will stick to you in the water, its worth a shot, might shrink after washing too

yep, chamois and everything....its pretty sweet, black and red.  i will post a picture later if i get a chance.  i looked to see if there were any mens suits for my hubs, but didnt see any.  they also had tri tops too, but i dont like tri tops, they tend to ride up on me.
2011-01-25 8:18 PM

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Great list! Good for a few chuckles AND info!
The new bike and I had our first ride--the husband suggested we go from our house to the nearest bike shop---turned out to be about 4 miles total (saved it on the routes on here! Smile) it was a comfortable ride and even though there were some moderate hills, I didn't have to put in as much effort on this bike as I do on my urban assault bike...so that was cool.
Of course, as we rode into the garage, I heard a little hissing, leak sound...I called Clint and said 'oh, your bike's leaking again' , he looked, then listened and pointed out that it was MY bike...leave it to me, first ride, and I manage to puncture the tire with a rose thorn! Oh well--at least I got the 'first puncture' out of the way!
I did send in my race reg. today! No backing out now!
I also bought some running shoes; I went to a running specific store where they checked my stride and other foot stuff; I tried on a bunch of different shoes/brands, and settled on some hideously colored Nikes...but they feel great! and only were about $100...so there's another piece of equipment taken care of...all this and the first day of classes for the semester....busy, busy...
2011-01-25 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3321585

New user
kgore - 2011-01-25 9:18 PM Great list! Good for a few chuckles AND info!
The new bike and I had our first ride--the husband suggested we go from our house to the nearest bike shop---turned out to be about 4 miles total (saved it on the routes on here! Smile) it was a comfortable ride and even though there were some moderate hills, I didn't have to put in as much effort on this bike as I do on my urban assault bike...so that was cool.
Of course, as we rode into the garage, I heard a little hissing, leak sound...I called Clint and said 'oh, your bike's leaking again' , he looked, then listened and pointed out that it was MY bike...leave it to me, first ride, and I manage to puncture the tire with a rose thorn! Oh well--at least I got the 'first puncture' out of the way!
I also bought some running shoes; I went to a running specific store where they checked my stride and other foot stuff; I tried on a bunch of different shoes/brands, and settled on some hideously colored Nikes...but they feel great! and only were about $100...so there's another piece of equipment taken care of...all this and the first day of classes for the semester....busy, busy...

this reminds me of my biking to-do list.....learn to fix a flat!!!  im so screwed if i get a flat out on the road!!!!

i quickly learned that looks go out the window when it comes to running shoes.  its just an added bonus if your shoes look cool and happen to be the right ones for you.  ive grown to love the hideous and loud color shoes!!!

2011-01-26 8:23 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-01-26 8:51 AM

Expert
I found a couple of decent trainer workouts to share 

Workout #1: 60 Minutes, Mixed Intensity

Indoor Cycling Workout

Edited by TriDiesel 2011-01-26 8:51 AM
2011-01-26 8:51 AM

Expert

Workout #2: 39 to 63 Minutes, Rolling Hills

Gale-cycling-workout-2

2011-01-26 8:54 AM

Expert
If your like me, I get confused on reading a training session with all the different lingo for how hard you suppose to go, like for example: T-pace + 10 per 100

I found this interesting break down of explaining how to read how hard you are suppose to go

http://www.active.com/images/activeTrainer/Training_Intensity.pdf
2011-01-26 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3321035

Expert

Based from our initial meeting, his approach is defining my strengths and slowly bringing up my areas of opportunity. So far we've started slow, but here's this week's workouts as defined by my coach:

So good to me, later in your racing career, it will become the opposite, focusing on your weakness while building on your strengths

2011-01-26 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3321585

Expert
kgore - 2011-01-25 9:18 PM Great list! Good for a few chuckles AND info!

And I bet you felt fast too!! There are tires on the market that are better then the stock ones on your bike that will help against punctures. Did you get a saddle bag for under your seat and tire repair kit?

I never leave for a ride with out my kit, your kit should include

- A tire lever to help get your tire off
- 2 tubes, always carry 2 tubes
- 2 CO2 cannisters
- CO2 value 
- Patches in case your tire gets a hole

I also suggest getting a floor pump with an air pressure gauge for at home, everytime you ride your bike, fill up your tires to the suggested PSI on the tire, every single time. This will make make you stay fast on the road and will keep your tires from wearing out faster.

Getting your gait analize is a huge step for running, being in the right shoes designed for you gait will provide comfort for your legs

Congrats on the sigining up, your in full training mode now, tape up that race date around your house to remind you of it all the time
2011-01-26 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3321718

Expert
laurabs24 - 2011-01-25 10:39 PM

this reminds me of my biking to-do list.....learn to fix a flat!!!  im so screwed if i get a flat out on the road!!!!

i quickly learned that looks go out the window when it comes to running shoes.  its just an added bonus if your shoes look cool and happen to be the right ones for you.  ive grown to love the hideous and loud color shoes!!!

You LBS might have a Bike Maintance class, usually its free and they teach you things, like fixing a flat, minor adjustments to make on the bike, fixing a chain that fell off.

I will look for some videos to post on here about changing a flat.

PRACTICE IT!! Take your tire off, (front one, its easier), takke the air out and practice removing it, putting it back on, and repeat it.

2011-01-26 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3321718

Expert
laurabs24 - 2011-01-25 10:39 PM

Isnt that the truth!!! I am a pronator and I have a ton of ugly shoes, all the cool shoes are for neutral runners, I am jealous that you can rock the Brooks Green Silence!!
2011-01-26 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3322114

Expert
FoggyGoggles - 2011-01-26 9:23 AM Three tri's registered and paid for as of this morning. Still looking for one to two more to fit into my training schedule. Skin is IN the game!

Foggy

You close to matching me in races, I think I am doing 6-7 this year
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Daddy Diesels New to the Sport Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 15