Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2011-02-18 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3361412

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED

Ah Yes, this is some good weather!!!!!!!!

Rest day today

Saturday- swim in the AM after morning practice. 2500-3000yds, bike in the PM probably 30-35 miles, then watch the Nationwide Race.

Sunday- Swim meet in Clearwater in the AM, Record Daytona 500, get in a 6-7 mile run then watch the race.

It will be a good weekend if it all goes just like that, and if it doesn't it's still a good weekend.

Happy Training,

2011-02-21 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3258876

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Greetings to everyone, hope your weekend was well? Got all of the intended workouts in this weekend, got the yard mowed and did a little cleaning. So all is well.

Let us know how your weekend went, Courtney I rode most of the Bartow Blarney course on Saturday PM. Nice ride, there is a little elevation to deal with but nothing to bad. A couple of rough areas on the road 640 south of Bartow, and then a little rough here and there on Old Homeland Rd. But its a nice ride.

Everyone staying healthy? I know a couple of you have been dealing with a cold, hopefully that is now in the past.

If you are following a plan or just simply beginning to increase volume, stay hydrated, keep your calories up(even if your trying to drop a bit of weight) but eat the right foods. If you feel fatigued, it's OK to miss a workout to get some recoup time in. That way going forward your workouts will be more productive.

2011-02-22 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3365327

User image

Good Morning group,

I was able to hit all my planned workouts last week, despite the head cold.  I had a good ride on Saturday, was able to average 17.5 mi/hr which is my best average yet, and a short recovery run on Sunday. 

I am doing a hybrid 20wk Oly program from BT and this week is the start of my 2nd build cycle.
This morning I had a good 3mi run.  I am not sure if my HRM was reading corectly or if I had an endurance "break through", but my pace was seemed fast for the average HR reading.

I have almost shook this cold, so I am excited to see what the week brings.

Happy training,
Brian

2011-02-22 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Good morning,Okay, major jealousy of mike skiing at winterpark. I have been twice there,but it has been awhile! Anyway just had a great swim workout with my coach, I swam 1100 in 45 minutes with limited rest time. I am feeling a lot more comfortable with my bilateral breathing, just need the endurance part to kick in now. I decided to go with the LG race day revo bag for my transition bag, reasonable price at $59.99. Rode in the Soldier Ride on Sunday in Tampa was supposed to be 28.5 miles but ended up 20 due to not enough security on Macdill Airforce base. It was such a beautiful day, we kept at 15 mph and had some breaks due to the police wanting to keep us together as a group.167 riders and it was amazing. Roy, thanks for the heads up. Do u know that area well as in what hotels are close by? Anyway, I am going to try and hit the pool this afternoon again. Has anybody ever used the Waterproof Coach book for swim training? It is a really sweet book that my coach uses, I think I might have to break down and purchase from amazon. Well, enough of my rambling. Hope everyone has a great week training! Courtney
2011-02-23 6:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Day, hope everyone is well. Courtney I'll check on motels in Bartow for you. Bartow is kind of a pass through town, so there won't be much there. But I know there is a couple in town and you wont' be but just a few minutes from the event.

Brian it is likely that you did have an "endurance breakthrough". You've been training long enough now that there has been some aerobic adaptation that has taken place and that what you saw in your run is correct. So keep it up and you'll begin to see more at time passes by.

Following a plan has phases built into them so as your training progresses you shoud see this type of improvement.

Well Done!!!

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-02-23 6:20 AM
2011-02-23 6:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

In one of my post the other day I talked a little about fatigue and its effects on training. I am an example of my own the last few days. The workouts have been hard to get done at the proper pacing-efforts. And it is simply a bit of fatigue. The workouts themselves are not extreme, but I've just hit one of those little phases. These phase are where are strength and endurance gains are made but you have to be careful and not drag yourself down to much. Injuries, sickness can creep in. One more week until an recovery week that I think will be very nice. I skipped a trainer ride last night, and today I'm not going to do the planned run( I've had a bit of plantar's fasciitis since my marathon not extreme but nagging) so I'll do some elliptical and weights instead.

Just some thoughts.

2011-02-23 7:40 AM

User image

Arnold, MD
Hi Everyone,

Had my free pass weekend from the family and headed up to NY - catskill area for some skiing.
Myself and my 3 brother in laws, and some friends all went skiing. Friday was beautiful, it reminded
me of a spring ski day. Temp in the later afternoon hit 58 degrees and was sunny. It started to get
a little slushy in the afternoon, but it didnt matter, the day was great (had a couple of beers on the ski
deck/lodge while getting some afternoon sun) - anyway... the day didnt end of so great....

I had a terrible crash on Friday (at the end of the day, beers were after the crash... not before, and the pain didnt really set in till later that evening) - and I ended up with a small fracture in one
of my shoulder bones. So... I am having trouble lifting my right arm... MRI is scheduled for today, follow
up with Orthapaedic doc Friday. I am thinking any regular type of training will be a no go for me for at least
6 weeks. 

I am pretty bummed about it, but also thankful that I didnt hurt anything else. I am pretty proud of the crash though, it was a spectacular full speed, huge drop, tons of spray, epic crash. I was able to make it down the rest of the mountain on my own power, put my ski's away, then dragged my bum shoulder over to the bar for a few beers.

Hope everyone else is doing good.... I will let you know if there are any updates, and hopefully I will be able to get some modified training in within the next week or two.

- V
2011-02-23 8:33 AM
in reply to: #3368224

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

vhardick - 2011-02-23 8:40 AM Hi Everyone,

Had my free pass weekend from the family and headed up to NY - catskill area for some skiing.
Myself and my 3 brother in laws, and some friends all went skiing. Friday was beautiful, it reminded
me of a spring ski day. Temp in the later afternoon hit 58 degrees and was sunny. It started to get
a little slushy in the afternoon, but it didnt matter, the day was great (had a couple of beers on the ski
deck/lodge while getting some afternoon sun) - anyway... the day didnt end of so great....

I had a terrible crash on Friday (at the end of the day, beers were after the crash... not before, and the pain didnt really set in till later that evening) - and I ended up with a small fracture in one
of my shoulder bones. So... I am having trouble lifting my right arm... MRI is scheduled for today, follow
up with Orthapaedic doc Friday. I am thinking any regular type of training will be a no go for me for at least
6 weeks. 

I am pretty bummed about it, but also thankful that I didnt hurt anything else. I am pretty proud of the crash though, it was a spectacular full speed, huge drop, tons of spray, epic crash. I was able to make it down the rest of the mountain on my own power, put my ski's away, then dragged my bum shoulder over to the bar for a few beers.

Hope everyone else is doing good.... I will let you know if there are any updates, and hopefully I will be able to get some modified training in within the next week or two.

- V

Vin sorry to hear about the mishap, but I did get a chuckle when I read your description of the crash. I think we can all visualize what an epic crash might be. Hope things heal quickly. Keep us updated.

2011-02-23 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Major bummer Vin....... Yeah I also enjoyed a chuckle at the crash description nicely done. Hopefully it is.just a strain and you can get back to training. Take care & keep us informed, Courtney
2011-02-23 8:07 PM

Hey Gang,

Back from skiing in Winter Park.  It was phenomenal, but I can no longer keep up with my 20 year old Air Force Academy cadet son.  We can handle the same slopes, but he's always waiting for me at the bottom!  Oh well... such is life. 

Sorry to hear about Vin's spectacular fall.  I hope it's something simple that you can bounce back from  quickly.  I also had a pretty good fall (not nearly as spectacular as Vin's), but I was really glad I was wearing a helmet.  I smashed my head on the ice wall of a corridor and I think it would have been a concussion if not for the helmet.

Back to the training plan later this week.  I'm working the BT 13 week Duathlon plan, modified to meet my travel schedule and race date.  

Good health and good training to all,

Mike
2011-02-27 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3369614

User image

Good afternoon Group,

I tested a new breakfast and drink on my ride on Saturday, I don't think it was perfect but it was much better than 2 weeks ago when I did same distance.  The overalll average was only 1/2mi/hr quicker but I felt less fatigued after.

Went to Dallas after the ride to see the Cheiftans (Irish band) play.  Great concert! Sunday morning I had a light run through downtown Dallas to counteract the Smithwicks.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Brian

......................................................................................

Vin,

Sorry to hear about the injury.  Any update?

Brian

2011-02-28 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Good Morning Everyone,
Had a great ride on Saturday on the Pinellas Trail, did 30 miles and felt really good. First time on the trail and it was such a beautiful weekend! Did not get any training in Sunday, I guess one day off is good right? I kind of feel guilty if I don't exercise atleast once a day, um... is that called addiction?haahha. Well, feeling really good with my swimming after 2 sessions with the coach so hopefully the Sprint in 2 weeks will be a breeze. I plan to head over to Bartow this week and check out the area for the Sprint and maybe do the ride or a run, all depends on my son :0)! Enjoy your week everyone!
2011-02-28 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Day to you all,  well kind of quite week last week. Hopefully all went well last week. We had beautiful weekend of weather here in Florida it was great to be out. Got in all of the planned work, including yardwork. So all is well.

We've heard from a couple of ya, lets here whats been going on?

2011-03-01 7:33 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Hey guys, sorry for no update lately.  Let's see what's been going on:

Logging lots of time in the saddle and on the shoes.  Need to focus a bit more on the swim.  We did do an open water swim the other day in the bay.  It was 68F.  About the same temp as IMCdA is going to be (if it's sunny).  Wife had he fullsuit on.  I only had my sleeveless. OMG was it cold.

Been working with a swim coach that has helped a bit.  We have endurance but we're not really fast.  She tweaked our strokes a little and it seems like it is helping. 

Did 60 miles in San Antonio (one of only a few spots with hills in FL) this last Sunday.  Nice ride.  Calves paid the price however and felt them on my run last night. 

Looking forward to 4 days off (taking the family on a Disney cruise Thurs-Sun).  No workouts planned.  Just need to make sure the calorie intake is backed off a bit
2011-03-01 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Sean good to hear from you. Glad you all had a good ride in San An. Sounds like an excellent cruise coming up. Enjoy!!!!

Courtney, your not going find much on motels in Bartow. I don't know the name but there is one at the corner of State Rd. 60 and 98. There is a Denny's in front of it. There is a Super 8 in Mulberry on 60 about 8 miles to the west. Lots of choices in Lakeland but nothing real close. But at that your looking at 20 min. or so. Try the Hampton Suites at Lakeside Village off of the Polk Parkway.

Corey where are you????

Recovery week for me, so pretty simple workouts this week.

2011-03-01 11:26 AM

Hello All,

I'm finally back in the training groove and it's great to be back.  I did a bike-run brick on Sunday and it felt like I took a week off!  The bike went fine -- in fact, my best speed ever (18.5 mph which is good for me), but the subsequent run was tough.  I still have five and a half weeks until my first race of the year, so I think there's plenty of time to get back after the week off.

Have any of you ever tried any of the quick tie options for your running shoes?  I am trying a lacing system called "Yankz" which are stretchy laces that don't require tying after they're installed and sized (www.yankz.com)  .  The shoes seem to slip on and off pretty easily, and they saved me about 30 seconds off my transition on Sunday's brick, but I'm not sure how they'll work in the heat of the race.  Do any of you have any experience -- good or bad?

Thanks,

Mike

2011-03-01 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hi Mike good to have you back and with no EPIC crash stories. Hope your doing well Vin? Anyway I've used Yankz for 3+ years, no problems at all. It might take a couple of adjustments to get your shoe to fit the way you want it to feel on your foot. But once you have that feeling you should be good to go. You need to do your adjustments with the socks or not that your going to run in. It will make a difference in feel if your using different socks frequently. It will definitely speed up your transitions.

2011-03-01 12:11 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
I have used LockLaces (similar to Yankz) for several years.  I love them.

http://www.locklaces.com/
2011-03-01 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Howdy everyone.  I wanted to get the opinions of the group on this.  I am competing in my first tri (sprint) on April 9.  I am already looking forward to further triathlons.  I have been really enjoying the workouts so far in preparing for April.

I am serious thinking if a HIM is doable for this coming fall.  This is what I want to get your opinions on. 

I have a half marathon in 3 weeks coming up.  I am normally in the 2:20 range for finish time.  From a swim perspective, I am currently going 3 times a week and averaging 1,100 yards.  I basically have 30 minutes to workout because of needing to be at work.  Cycling is coming along.  Right now averaging Saturday and Sunday rides of 16-20 miles each.  Rolling hills on all of the routes.  For getting started, I average 14 mph.

So, what does everyone think?  Is this being too optimistic to look towards a fall 2011 HIM or should I wait until 2012?

My next question then becomes where.  I want to look for something in NC.  I see OBX Tri and PDP Battleship are in Sept and Oct.

Look forward to your comments and feedback.
2011-03-01 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3377704

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
cup06champs - 2011-03-01 2:34 PM Howdy everyone.  I wanted to get the opinions of the group on this.  I am competing in my first tri (sprint) on April 9.  I am already looking forward to further triathlons.  I have been really enjoying the workouts so far in preparing for April.

I am serious thinking if a HIM is doable for this coming fall.  This is what I want to get your opinions on. 

I have a half marathon in 3 weeks coming up.  I am normally in the 2:20 range for finish time.  From a swim perspective, I am currently going 3 times a week and averaging 1,100 yards.  I basically have 30 minutes to workout because of needing to be at work.  Cycling is coming along.  Right now averaging Saturday and Sunday rides of 16-20 miles each.  Rolling hills on all of the routes.  For getting started, I average 14 mph.

So, what does everyone think?  Is this being too optimistic to look towards a fall 2011 HIM or should I wait until 2012?

My next question then becomes where.  I want to look for something in NC.  I see OBX Tri and PDP Battleship are in Sept and Oct.

I think a fall 2011 HIM is perfectly doable.  You just need to keep at the training.

I've heard nothing but good things about Agusta's 70.3.  Not NC but not too far either.  B2B is supposed to be a good race as well. 
2011-03-02 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

cup06champs - 2011-03-01 2:34 PM Howdy everyone.  I wanted to get the opinions of the group on this.  I am competing in my first tri (sprint) on April 9.  I am already looking forward to further triathlons.  I have been really enjoying the workouts so far in preparing for April.

Agree with Sean, very doable. Nutrition becomes much more an issue when you get to this distance and getting in the necessary bike miles, which makes the run more enjoyable. The Beach2Battleship event gets good press, I think that might be a good choice for you.

2011-03-02 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Hi Everyone, sorry for the delay in responses . . I have been rather hectic with work, training, and this CrossFit workout stuf, new diet (Paleo) and Trying to hold everything together!

Spent some time this past weekend riding with the group from Lakemonte, I have an invite to the hills in Clermont, but I think I will stay in town riding this Saturday and Sunday with the roadies. Since Ive been just getting back in the saddle, getting dropped sucks, but 2 weeks should get me back to the middle / front of the B-group especially when that time changes and I can get out after work during the week!

cup06champs: You can definitely be primed for a HIM in the fall! Have you decided on one yet?

I am doing a sprint next weekend which will help to gauge the remaining six weeks until St. Anthony's!

So there is the update, and the plan for the coming weekend! Hope everyone's training is gong well and goals are being met!

cmb

2011-03-03 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3375808

User image

Good Morning group,

Training is going good this week.  I have hit all of my planned times this week and finally had a bit of a breakthrough in my swim training on Tuesday.  In Decdember I did a 500yd TT at 10:12 and figured a 400yd was somewhere around 8:05.  I swam a warmup 400 at 7:06 and thought I had missed counted, did my workout and finished with an easy 400 at 7:26.  It felt like I was swimming very smooth for the entire workout. Needless to say I am pretty happy, hopefully I can have the same feeling this afternoon.

Now the bad.....

I felt something pull in what I thought was my left heel/achilles, on the short run on Sunday.  No big deal, slowed the pace down and ended it a bit early.

Tuesday's run I started easy because I had some discomfort in the left Achilles, not really pain but just aware that I had an Achilles.  Finished that workout strong with little discomfort.

This morning's run pain was 2-3 but did not seem to change my gait or increase during the run.  It really is more of a warm to burning sensation than a sharp pain. Slightly tender to the touch.  It is not swollen.

I will admit that Sunday I did not have a warm-up and stretched vey little....Shame on me.

I now have been doing some extra calf streches during the day and before I go to bed.

Any advice?

To me the pain isn't to the "Doctor" point...but I am stubborn, or foolish.

Sorry for the long post.

Happy training,
Brian
2011-03-03 7:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hey Brian, be careful with achilles type of pain. Take it easy if you need to, but hopefully it was a temporary thing and you'll resume your training at full effort.

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-03-03 7:18 PM
2011-03-03 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3381827

User image

Roy,

Thanks for the reply.  I have come to grips with the fact that I might have to take a few weeks off from running.  With the base I have I still should be OK for My "A" race June.  Hopefully I do not have any issues on the bike.  I did swim this afternoon and concentrated on not pushing off the wall with the left foot.  (The swim went pretty good did 1450yds straight)  Luckily, if I have to take a few weeks off of running, I think I can find a couple of activities I enjoy to keep myself busy.

Brian

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17