Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-01-16 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3263166

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Subject: RE: SMeador's Group - FULL!
How was ev1s weekend? Only got a swim and VERY short ride in this weekend. Cadence wasn't happy with on 12mi.

What's on your plan for the week? Are you using the BT Planned Calendar? It is a great tool plan upcoming workouts and it is very easy to drag and drop workouts if you need to change.

2011-01-16 7:28 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Going to take advantage of MLK day and get my long Saturday ride in tomorrow.  Either Trinity Trail or TMS (Texas Motor Speedway).  Other than that, the usual week of workouts but I have to figure out where to put the 1:40 run I missed today.  I think Friday looks light work-wise so I should be able to get running by 4 and get it done before it gets dark.

2011-01-16 7:42 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Got in a walk on the treadmill this evening and a 45 minute spin.  I'm tired - but I hit all my workouts this week - so that's good!!!
2011-01-16 11:00 PM
in reply to: #3303338

I'm still working out my plan, trying to figure out what race to sign up for as my target date.  I've started to put the plan into the BT training log.

Since I've never done more serious cycling than a leisure ride, the trainer is taking some getting used to.  I had no idea how much I was coasting on my rides in town! 

I do have a question re: training plan.  I normally swim 3-4 days per week, 30-35 minutes (750-1000m) per session.  All of the beginner triathlon plans have significantly less swimming in the plan than that, but I feel it would be a mistake to go "backwards" on that part of my overall plans for improving fitness and weight loss.  Will I be overdoing it if I continue to swim 3-4 days per week, and simply use the beginner plans for cycling and walk/run? 

Tomorrow is a holiday for me, too, but that means my regular pool is closed, too.  Might splurge on the $5 to go to the public indoor pool, which is open all day.  That also means I can swim longer than usual, since I won't have the lunch hour constraints.
2011-01-17 6:35 AM
in reply to: #3303639

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
mdevries - 2011-01-16 11:00 PM I'm still working out my plan, trying to figure out what race to sign up for as my target date.  I've started to put the plan into the BT training log.

I do have a question re: training plan.  I normally swim 3-4 days per week, 30-35 minutes (750-1000m) per session.  All of the beginner triathlon plans have significantly less swimming in the plan than that, but I feel it would be a mistake to go "backwards" on that part of my overall plans for improving fitness and weight loss.  Will I be overdoing it if I continue to swim 3-4 days per week, and simply use the beginner plans for cycling and walk/run? 

Hey! Sounds like you have a great start and are using the tools on here to help you!!

Most triathlon plans don't have much swimming... even my 1/2 iron plan would have 1000-1500m swims. Which doesn't seem like much to me.  You can keep your swims - but the amounts of bike/run will increase - so as long as you can fit everything in then it's fine.  You want to make sure you rest - so that your run/bike workouts are quality but as long as you're not ending up exhausted you're fine. 
2011-01-17 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Agree on upping the swim volume.  No harm at all in that.

Heading out for 3 hours on the bike...catch you all this afternoon!

2011-01-17 9:35 AM

User image

Madison-ish, WI
Good Morning everyone!  I was MIA this weekend due to a Saturday of working a bridal show (I work at a hotel), and then Sunday is my "rest" day, and I have decided to make that a wedding project day since many of those projects/tasks have been neglected as of late....1 day weekends are just not enough time off! 

Thanks Margretta for sending me the info for the swimming books--I am going to see if our library has them, and if not look online.

This week is going to be a good week.  I am going to mix up the workouts a little bit to see if I get some better results.  Not sure if it was because it was my first week of training in all 3 areas, or just the order/combination's I did them in..but I was tuckered by Saturday. 

Today we are supposed to get 3-5" of snow Frown with highs for the weekend of around 10 degrees.  Argh, I cannot wait for spring when I can run & bike outside!! (and neither can my pooch!

Have a great week everyone!
Em
2011-01-17 9:53 AM

Happy monday all! I slept through my alarm this morning for my 5:30 spin class...not a good start. Luckily there is onle later today I can get to to get my workout in. Still annoyed. I like to have my workout out of the way. 
I feel like I need to lock myself in a closet on the weekends, I ALWAYS eat terribly. My wife is training for a marathon and eats like a cow, any and everything and she is super skinny (5'9 128) so putting us two together at a restaurant is bad news for me. Maybe I should just sit her down and have the talk " now hunny, this eating binge that your doing might be ok for you, but for us less fortunate that have slower metabolisms and dont put in the miles you do yet cant eat the crap that you eat. Please kindly refrain from eating like a pig. Love you." LOL. I would get smacked for that one! Guess I need to just step up and have some self control. Dang.
2011-01-17 2:54 PM

User image

New user
Texas
I'm still not committed to a plan yet.  Has anyone used the the iphone app for first tri?  I love having my plan on my phone.  Also, do I need to a paid member to import a training plan here.  I'm figuring yes since I tried to find out how to do it and couldn't find the import button.

Pool was closed today due to he holiday plus I have have one VERY sick kiddo here at the house.  Plan to get on the bike and do a bike/ jump rope set I read about in a magazine. 

Have a great day,
Marie
2011-01-17 6:44 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey all!

Well, did my 3 hour rode this morning.  A little cold and damp to start but I was actually dressed well.

Looking forward to NOT being on the bike tomorrow!

2011-01-17 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3303639

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Keep your swim distances/times as they are and increase as you feel ready.

2011-01-17 7:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Finally got into the doctor this morning. As in past instances it is Achillese Tendonitis. Wearing a compression sleeve (makes me think of my great aunt who used to wear those ankle stockings) for a few weeks if not from here out. Begin PT Friday 2-3x for 4-6 weeks.
2011-01-18 6:20 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Smeador - I LOVE my compression socks.  I have some of the old school black ones and some nice Sigvaris ones.  I sometimes run in them (and in my non-fitness-concious town people look at me like I'm crazy).

Sounds like you're going to get some help - hopefully the PT goes well.

Edited by Silver_wlf 2011-01-18 6:21 AM
2011-01-18 6:25 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
So I had a horrible day yesterday.  Things just were really unpleasant at work and so I came home and took my lab-x out for a walk at the gun club.  It's quiet out there - and there aren't any houses anywhere near - so I put him on a 30' line and let him run, smell and eat bunny poop and enjoy being outside.  It's funny how fast stress headaches go away when you stop and enjoy the small moments.

I decided to come home, eat dinner and relax.  I hadn't taken a day off since the week before last - so I was past due.  I think I'm struggling more with the extra pounds more than I thought I was.  I've been working hard - but forgetting that my body needs time to rest and repair as well.
2011-01-18 6:35 AM
in reply to: #3305719

Silver_wlf - 2011-01-18 6:25 AMSo I had a horrible day yesterday.  Things just were really unpleasant at work and so I came home and took my lab-x out for a walk at the gun club.  It's quiet out there - and there aren't any houses anywhere near - so I put him on a 30' line and let him run, smell and eat bunny poop and enjoy being outside.  It's funny how fast stress headaches go away when you stop and enjoy the small moments.

I decided to come home, eat dinner and relax.  I hadn't taken a day off since the week before last - so I was past due.  I think I'm struggling more with the extra pounds more than I thought I was.  I've been working hard - but forgetting that my body needs time to rest and repair as well.
Rest days are key to recovery. I might take too many, but you are more prone to injury if you don't take that time to recover. Sorry about the crappy work day, hope today is better for you.Up at 4:30 again this morning traveling, should be back by 2, but these days just kill my body. UGH
2011-01-18 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3305728

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
bikermanmo - 2011-01-18 6:35 AM
Silver_wlf - 2011-01-18 6:25 AMSo I had a horrible day yesterday.  Things just were really unpleasant at work and so I came home and took my lab-x out for a walk at the gun club.  It's quiet out there - and there aren't any houses anywhere near - so I put him on a 30' line and let him run, smell and eat bunny poop and enjoy being outside.  It's funny how fast stress headaches go away when you stop and enjoy the small moments.

Rest days are key to recovery. I might take too many, but you are more prone to injury if you don't take that time to recover. Sorry about the crappy work day, hope today is better for you.Up at 4:30 again this morning traveling, should be back by 2, but these days just kill my body. UGH

Thanks. *smile*  I know how important it is to rest - but it's hard when you know you haven't made good choices and you just want that winter weight to go away..... *sigh*

Ugh - 4:30.  Reminds me of swimming age group.... I'd get to the pool half asleep and wake up sometime between warm up and cool down. *giggle*  Have a good day - good luck with the travelling.  I'm in meetings again all day today.  Yay! *sigh*

2011-01-18 11:03 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

I totally agree about the rest days, but also need to be reminded of them.  Had 3 hard workouts days Sat-Monday.  Today I am going to swim.

Feeling kind of blah today.  Maybe because we have not seen the sun in several days.

2011-01-18 4:35 PM

User image

New user
Texas
I ended up taking yesterday off.  Had a sick kiddo at home and kept her home from school.  Woke up this morning to the news that some of my business neighbors had lost their buildings in a terrible fire.  Literally five historic buildings down from me.  I'm a little shaken as fire is my biggest fear (next to drowning in a lake during a tri).  The sun came out today and it is wonderful outside.  Wish I could get out... but my poor daughter can't stay by herself yet.  An indoor workout later is going to have to do.

2011-01-18 6:12 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Hey Marie,  I saw that fire on the news this morning.  It was so devastating.

I decided that today was going to be my off day for the week.  Was going to be Saturday but moved my swim from today to then.

2011-01-18 7:24 PM

User image

Madison-ish, WI
Today I started out strong by getting up early and getting 35ish minutes in on the bike trainer.  I need to get a bike computer so that I can work on some drills. etc but that might have to wait a paycheck or two.  So for now I just switch between harder and easier gears and keep up (what I hope) is a good pace.

Then, I went to work and had a stressful & annoying day and was pretty much just dreading my swim this evening.

I am still trying to focus on my breathing instead of speed, etc. but it doesn't seem to be working.  I end up feeling like a splashing pufferfish and get really discouraged.  I know that I have more endurance than swimming 25 yards and having to take a breather but once I get in the water it all goes to hell.  I am going to look into some private lessons I think because I am sick of being such a debbie downer about swimming.  (the only comfort I have is that the sprint & oly we are training for are still a long ways off!)

Ok, I am taking my crabby pants off and am going to enjoy the rest of my evening.  One positive thing that I noticed this week is that the scale finally seems to be moving again (in the right direction!)

2011-01-18 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3304727

illinois
Subject: RE: Marie
i am having trouble committing to a program too!! I am soo glad you said that. I seem so content to just do my little exercise schedule that has no focus to my triathlon goal--i dont know what's up or how to get motivated to commit to the training program. I have picked out the bike focus 16 week sprint program but i haven't started it yet. Have you picked a plan yet or is that what you cant decide? I am going to try to get in the pool tomm morning I havent swam since this summer--hope i get up and make myself do it!!

2011-01-19 6:26 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
It's hard right now ... maybe not so much for some of you who are more south than me - but the weather and the greyness outside are enough to make me just a little crazy.  I'll get motivated by a plan - but then the next week have trouble getting to workouts.  I guess Monday was statistically the most depressing day of the year - due to winter/xmas bills/etc. 

I had a full-on meltdown last night - but my friend and training partner Chris was a wonderful support. 

I do have a bright light tho - I have run two "Learn to Run" clinics in the past and this spring my sister and I are going to team up to run clinics together.  I'm going to continue with the beginners - and she is going to run a 10k clinic.  I'm excited - I love her so much and I don't get to see enough of her.  So I'm happy about that - we're looking at a March start so now I have to shop for races!!
2011-01-19 7:32 AM

illinois
it is hard right now--I really dont like winter!!! too grey too cold too much have to be inside!!! I have to tell everyone I did get up and do my workout today--Yeah!!! I didn't want you all to see i didnt go so THANK YOU for this group!! I ran/walked for 30min then hit the pool for 20 min...it felt terrific and it is truely wonderful to have this mentor group to see others having the same challenges and triumphs--- I hope everyone has a great workout today!! I know my day will be better cuz i got mine in---good luck!!!
2011-01-19 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3308140

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
diamond - 2011-01-19 7:32 AM it is hard right now--I really dont like winter!!! too grey too cold too much have to be inside!!! I have to tell everyone I did get up and do my workout today--Yeah!!! I didn't want you all to see i didnt go so THANK YOU for this group!! I ran/walked for 30min then hit the pool for 20 min...it felt terrific and it is truely wonderful to have this mentor group to see others having the same challenges and triumphs--- I hope everyone has a great workout today!! I know my day will be better cuz i got mine in---good luck!!!

Whooooohooooooo!!!! WAY TO GO!!!! It does help knowing that others are wondering how you're doing!!!!
2011-01-19 8:14 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Way to go Ann!!

I am not a winter person, but I an actually finding that I enjoy my long Sunday runs outside as long as it is sunny and not too windy.  I never thought I would be running in 28 degrees, but I have learned to dress right and have not had any problems. 

Now, if it is too windy or wet at all I will run inside as long as it is a weekday short (1 hour) run.  Anything longer and I just have to suck it up and go outside.  Now biking is another story (right Scott!).  I do not, in even the slightest way, enjoy riding in the cold.  My Monday ride was really stepping outside of the comfort zone for me.  But, looking back on it I can say that it was not too bad.  I dressed well.  At times my toes and fingers were cold but that was really dependant on the direction of the wind.

Today I have an hour run.  Depending on work I will TRY to get this in outside but it is looking like it will be inside as I have a late meeting and it will be dark when I am done for the day.

Edited by dodgersmom 2011-01-19 8:15 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SMeador's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 12