Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-05-09 8:53 AM
in reply to: #3488588

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
Subject: RE: Mesteren's Group - CLOSED

chris316 - 2011-05-09 3:00 AM Hope you all had a good weekend, we've already had mothers day over here, didn't get to do as much as I hoped for this weekend had to work so only got about 45 minute run in. Sat night I went out for some beers so Sunday was a wash out (I remember the good old days where a hangover wouldn't stop me from doing anything!)Found a sprint tri I'm going to enter in a month just to see how I get on, this weeks plan is to increase my swimming.Mesteren- your football team cost me big money this weekend lol

Haha....Tell me about it.  I remember those days too.  Not so much the case anymore!  Wink

2011-05-09 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3278649

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Well, mother's day kinda turned out ...

Our youngest, Elizabeth, (a New Year's Baby) only 4 months old now was hospitalized with pneumonia, so I spent Sat and Sun night at the hospital.  Kinda messed up lunch plans for Sunday.  She's doing fine, but will be in the hospital for a minimum of 5 days (1 course of antibiotics) and then will be reassessed.   Also messes up training time.   Since I'm a look at the glass half full kinda guy, because I don't have to drop off Lizzie at the baby center I could ride my bike to school today which helps.

Countdown.... 1 month and 9 days to first Tri!

2011-05-09 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3490311

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK
DuncanQH - 2011-05-09 6:42 PM

Well, mother's day kinda turned out ...

Our youngest, Elizabeth, (a New Year's Baby) only 4 months old now was hospitalized with pneumonia, so I spent Sat and Sun night at the hospital.  Kinda messed up lunch plans for Sunday.  She's doing fine, but will be in the hospital for a minimum of 5 days (1 course of antibiotics) and then will be reassessed.   Also messes up training time.   Since I'm a look at the glass half full kinda guy, because I don't have to drop off Lizzie at the baby center I could ride my bike to school today which helps.

Countdown.... 1 month and 9 days to first Tri!

Oh wow, that's a tough weekend.  It's always scarry when your little one is in the hospital.  I'm glad she is doing okay!!!

2011-05-10 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3487158

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
calluna - 2011-05-08 12:42 AM

Hurray for me! I finished and didn't humiliate myself. Laughing

I wrote it up in my log, which I'll copy to a race report when I have the official times. Highlights:

• it was sunny in Seward, Alaska, which happens about twice a year. Gorgeous race day, warm, eagles floating around in thermals right over the starting line. Alaska is the most amazing place sometimes.
  • It was hilly. Really, really hilly.
  • I had an excellent (for me) swimtime of 16:50 for 900 - under 2:00/100, which I've never done before - and about a minute and a half faster.
  • I had an excellent run in spite of the hills, with another personal best at about 10:20/mile. (32:01)
  • The bike was the most unexpected thing. I almost wiped out once on one of the 90-degree turns from pavement to gravel in spite of my trusty Cannondale's best efforts. I didn't though. It was twisty, turny, uphill, downhill...whuf.
  • Total time was 1:18:06

Great day! What fun I had, and I am so very proud of myself!

Congratulation

You are did fantastic
Going over to read your RR now
2011-05-10 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hi everybody

I am back home again after some very warm days in Germany.
Race went really good and I will make a Race report later.
I got 3rd overall and 2nd in my age-group

Going to read up on your blogs now to see if you have been doing something while I have been gone
2011-05-10 4:14 PM
in reply to: #3491198

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK

Mesteren - 2011-05-10 9:04 AM Hi everybody

I am back home again after some very warm days in Germany.
Race went really good and I will make a Race report later.
I got 3rd overall and 2nd in my age-group

Going to read up on your blogs now to see if you have been doing something while I have been gone

That ROCKS!!  Way to kick some a$$! 

2011-05-10 5:22 PM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

great job coach ;o). What a great result on the race. Looking forward to read the race report.

I decided to enter a local race instead of doing a training. Just to see how my body would react to a 10K run race. Training wise not the smartest thing as my longest Long Distance Run was only 7.5K

But I very happy with my result: 55m03s. This was almost 5min faster than my minimal goal (finish within 60min) and almost 1min below my desired goal of 56min. And in hindsight I think I could have gone about 1min faster as I really paced myself till the 6K mark.

Feeling more and more ready by the day. 11 days till first tri..

2011-05-10 10:46 PM
in reply to: #3492333

User image

Veteran
Alaska

Mesteren, I can only dream of those kinds of results. And I will! You'll be awesome in your tri, Niezels! Duncan, hope your little girl is doing better now?

Official race results for me: I was 45/90 overall for the women and 22/37 in my AG.Total 1:18:41

Swim: 16:50

Bike: 29:18

T: 43

Run: 31:51

I can not complain about those results for my first-ever tri. Laughing

2011-05-11 12:05 AM
in reply to: #3492720

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Mesteren - Awesome result... way to go.  Looking forward to the race report.

Niezels - That's a pretty fantastic 10k time.  You're gonna rock your first tri!!!

Calluna - Nicely done.  Looking forward to my race even more now.

Daughter is doing well, but they suspect it might be whooping cough (or 100 day cough in Chinese).  Part of me hopes that is the case, as then at least we know what we are dealing with (and its not that big of a deal with no real long term complications... just 100 days of coughing, which sucks).  Because Lizzie was dehydrated, when they took out her IV and tried to put in another one, they had a really hard time.  I had to send my wife home, as she was on the verge of freaking out at the staff.  Took them over an hour, and about 5 pokes (20 if you count my wife's way, but they only broke the skin 5 times) to finally get a good line.  Poor Lizzie was NOT liking it!  But they finally got it in, and are hydrating her again (She's been refusing to feed).

Just got in a lunch time swim at school... (6 * 100 at 2:10) * 2.  It was a good, but tough swim.   The last 500 meters were pretty much non-stop as I was coming in at about 2:08 seconds.  Still freaking out about 1.5km open water... yikes!

2011-05-11 2:10 AM

User image

New user
Ouch, swimming the day after working your back in the gym is not a good idea! I think I definitely need some help on my technique. Anybody got a good tri book to recommend or is there enough info on here to not need one, I've heard that Triathletes Bible is a good read.
2011-05-11 2:46 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

The bible is a nice book though I cannot write a recommandation as I haven't really read much in it yet. For swim technique my feel is that coaching (or reflection at least) is the best way. It is a lot about understanding the difference on how you think you swim and really swim. In things like: 

• If your having a good balance in the water
  • Whether your tornading in a correct way
  • breathing rythm

I guess as an alertnative there is plenty of Youtube videos available on proper technique. Not sure if a book can really help as it requires a lot of words to describe as much info as a 5 min can with illustration.

2011-05-11 5:29 AM

User image

New user
Yeah I think coaching is the way to go, it's a bit hard with the shifts I work at the moment, will be down to the local tri club swimming practice as soon as I get the chance. I'm enjoying the training a lot more than just lifting weights all the time, although my girlfriend is already complaining I'm losing too much weight haha
2011-05-11 6:07 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
A very good book for swimming is: Total Immersion

Also look at these videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4InLAsnmKhY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4&feature=related

They are both from this guy
http://www.youtube.com/user/tiswimjapan

Just see how easy he makes it look !
  • No bubbles from hand on the pull  !!!! VERY IMPORTANT
Staying relaxed and gliding is so important, much more then power, a forced pull can be very inefficient, so if you have the chance to have a swim trainer look at you do it !!

Here is an interesting article on BT

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2274

and there more good articles here you just have to look for them

Have a great day everybody.

2011-05-11 6:12 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

That is an issue i a whole new category. I have no one yet complaining about my weightloss. But than again I'm not really losing muscle weight.

I can see why you like the training so much. If only for the main reason tri's are cool!!

I love to do goal orientated training. And I feel tri is just and above all just that for me. The body shape is just a (in my case welcome) result.

2011-05-11 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon

Just wanted to say "Hi" and let the group know I'm still here.  I should be involved more after today.  

Happy training!

Christi

2011-05-11 4:14 PM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

Christi: Great to hear you are still around ;o)

I did my first brick training today. Wanted to mimic all parts of a real race. So I brought it all to the location. Including my racenumber of yesterdays run on a belt.

Was glad to have done this as I didn't really now what to expect of a OWS and the transistions. The OSW felt really good. The water was fresh but good. Weird though to have to orientate during the swim. Good thing there will be a line to follow during the real race. Looking aside is much easier than looking up front. T1 was quite fast. Other club members who finished there OSW training went on to cheer me on (sweet). Was a little bit disorientated but could cope with it by the time I was to cross the public rode. I was surprised as how well my body felt at the swim. Getting in a nice pace quite easily. Had to pound the final K of the bike though as it was a head wind there. T2 was also quite fast. Again cheers from clubmembers (one even went on to mimic an official giving directions (TY Kjeld). Start of the run was hard. Was capable of keep running but had to fight the calfs who were willing to cramp up. Altering runtechnique by landing on the heels more worked there for me. After 1K body was custom to the run again. So final K felt sweet. Did not push at any part of the training due to a race yesterday and the goal of today (just experience)

Overall a big succes for me.

If interested: The route I did is viewable at: http://www.afstandmeten.nl/index.php?id=621009.

2011-05-11 9:36 PM

That totally sucks Duncan hopefully Lizzie is feeling better soon and give your wife a hug from me. It aint easy to see your baby in pain.

Mesteren your amazing those are awesome results. I'm gonna have to read your race report.

Niezels you are more then ready for your first tri

My first tri is now less then two months away so its starting to hit me now I really gotta get ready. Ref up that training a bit more.

2011-05-12 3:01 AM

User image

New user
Just wondering how swimming in a pool compares to an open water swim. I managed 400m without stopping for the first time last night, but if i took out that one second break when you turn around plus the kick from the wall I don't know how I would get on. Only one way to find out I suppose.
2011-05-12 4:11 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

Yeah I guess experience it is the best way. But maybe my first OWS experience (yesterday) can help you a bit:

• Though you don't get the "pause" at turning in a pool. You don't get the disruption in the rythm either. I felt keeping the cadance was a good plus for me
  • Another plus is that OW does not have ?chlorine. I hate swallowing chlorine. Not dealing with that stress is a plus
  • The view is very limited (1 yard was the farest I could see under water). This didn't freak me out though. Not knowing how deep the water is made me not care either. This is a plus for compared to a deep pool where a bottom 4yards below the surface can freak me out a bit
  • Orientation however is my biggest thing I need to train on. Without lines on the bottom to look at you have to deal with what you can see above the surface. Looking up front is kinda hard as you really have to lift your head for it. Plus with wet goggles seeing detail over 250+ yards is difficult. I tried to figure out in what angle to the shore line I needed to swim. As I was crossing the lake in a diagonal direction this was a bit difficult. However for this I would try to mimic as much as possible of the real race of what you can see.

But at the end you gotta tri it to know it. And OWS is kinda fun actually (I think)

2011-05-12 8:05 AM

User image

New user
Cheers, I ordered that total immersion book last night which should help too. Cycle to and from work tomorrow, might throw a run into the mix when I get home, experience these jelly legs!
2011-05-12 8:38 AM

User image

Dayton OH

Thanks Niezels for the post. I want to do something exactly like that to help prepare. My swimming professor kept saying that the hardest part about OWS is the orientation. She suggested that every so often I did a head up stroke. She had a name for this stroke in which you just arch your back and neck so that you can see in front of you while you front crawl.

Weird question for you; Did you see anything in the water? That is probably my biggest fear about open water.

Thanks coach for the swimming links. Just like you said I am getting more and more comfortable in the water.

2011-05-12 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3495239

User image

Regular
Utrecht
joel.blair - 2011-05-12 3:38 PM

Weird question for you; Did you see anything in the water? That is probably my biggest fear about open water.

It was a "sandy" lake which resulted in a brown sandy sight of 1 yard wide. As you are swimming on the surface there is enough light to not have issue looking into a dark hole.

Furtmore there were no fish in sight to company me on the swim ;o)

2011-05-12 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon

Anybody have suggestions for loosening up a tight psoas muscle (it runs from the back of your hamstring, through the pelvis and connects somewhere along the low back).  Apparently this area is tight and it causing me low back issues when I run and my stride lengthens.  Would love to hear any experience you have with this kind of trouble.

My doc gave me a couple of stretches, but thought I'd throw it out to you all in the real world.

Thanks,

Christi

2011-05-12 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3496191

Ive yet to see anything when swimming OWS. The lakes are so ucky here you put your face down and all you see is black. Dont wanna think about that too much either. Nope nothing to see. I just lift up my head every once in a while to see where I'm at.
2011-05-13 2:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Not much experience with OWSwimming... I used to surf / windsurf / kayak but never really spent anytime just swimming.   Except in a swimming pool as a kid, but that was just for lessons.

Lizzie is finally outta the hospital.  Cost me my lunch time run to go get her and my wife and take them home, but well worth it.  Erinn (my 6 year old daughter) is trying out a swimming class tonight... never been to this pool before (it's in a hotel) but am hopeful that I can get some laps in.  Class is 2 hours, so could potentially be a good long swim workout.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mesteren's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14