BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-05-12 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3436046

User image

Gaithersburg
Subject: RE: Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL!

I've had a really great week for biking!  The weather in the DC area has been just beautiful, so my mom and I have hit a bunch of trails, including one I've never ridden on before.  I got my bike tuned up, so it was like riding on a brand new bike. 

My run on Sunday wasn't remarkable, except for the fact that it was outside and I managed to keep a steady pace.Had two good swims on Tuesday and Thursday - I got into a real groove on Tuesday and actually felt natural in the water!

All-in-all a wonderful week for tri training!

General Question - what do you all do to keep your pace steady when running outside?

2011-05-12 1:19 PM
in reply to: #3493025

Ontario, Canada

wannabefaster - 2011-05-11 8:48 AM A new bike makes riding so much more enticing. Maybe that is what I need....... Must discuss with wife.........

New bikes ARE the best.  I'm having a blast with mine.

Good luck on your race this weekend.  Make sure you fill us in on the results.

2011-05-12 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3495421

Ontario, Canada
nickgn71 - 2011-05-12 11:03 AM

I've had a really great week for biking!  The weather in the DC area has been just beautiful, so my mom and I have hit a bunch of trails, including one I've never ridden on before.  I got my bike tuned up, so it was like riding on a brand new bike. 

My run on Sunday wasn't remarkable, except for the fact that it was outside and I managed to keep a steady pace.Had two good swims on Tuesday and Thursday - I got into a real groove on Tuesday and actually felt natural in the water!

All-in-all a wonderful week for tri training!

General Question - what do you all do to keep your pace steady when running outside?

Glad to read that your training is going well and that you've had a great week.  I don't have an answer to your outdoor running question because I, too, have a hard time keeping a steady pace.  Hopefully, those on here with more experience will chime in.

2011-05-12 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3493248

User image

Gaithersburg

Jeffrey - I love your race goals!  Mine are:

1. Don't drown
2. Don't make a complete fool of myself

Edited by nickgn71 2011-05-12 2:26 PM
2011-05-12 1:40 PM
in reply to: #3495421

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

nickgn71 - 2011-05-12 8:03 AM General Question - what do you all do to keep your pace steady when running outside?

I typically try to stay in a particular heart rate zone, but I use my Garmin to track pace as well.  I would guess if you just have a regular watch you could take split times at marked distances to get your pace.  Not sure how else you would do it w/o a treadmill.

2011-05-12 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
A blown training day actually turned out successful!  Got to the pool yesterday morning and realized I'd forgotten my swim stuff.  Normally, I'd be ok without my pool "toys", but not without my goggles or a suit!  However, later that day, I thought we were meeting our "students" that we're training for this weekend's mini-sprint out at the race site lake at 5:30.  Turns out it wasn't until 6:00.  Soooo, I got my first good open water mile+ in of the year.  Ahhhhhhhh.... I'd missed it.

The race director stuff is getting nuts, and work isn't exactly helping right now.  Happy weekend and good training and racing to all.  I'm gonna disappear for a few days more than likely.  I will, however, get to see 100+ people finish their first tri on Saturday, which makes all the headaches of planning this thing worth it.

Till next week!

2011-05-13 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3493231

User image

Champion
wannabefaster - 2011-05-11 8:07 AM

I bought a package of ten x 1/2 hour sessions for $300, I think that five lessons were $175. The coach usually gives me closer to 45 minutes to an hour for my $30. I don't know what she charges for single lessons but I am guessing it is around $45/hour. These lessons are done in a endless-current-type pool.

Jason

this seems fairly normal and pretty close to inline with what i charge a well.
2011-05-13 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3495892

User image

Champion
shmeeg - 2011-05-12 12:40 PM

nickgn71 - 2011-05-12 8:03 AM General Question - what do you all do to keep your pace steady when running outside?

I typically try to stay in a particular heart rate zone, but I use my Garmin to track pace as well. I would guess if you just have a regular watch you could take split times at marked distances to get your pace. Not sure how else you would do it w/o a treadmill.

Practice practice practice. As you run more, you'll become steadier with pacing (and this is true on the bike or run as well).
I can still get back in a boat or on an erg and pretty much nail a rock steady pace for a long time, even though i'm slow now.

You get a feel for pace increases/decreases as you go along. Also not being 100% steady is not a bad thing, but it'll come with more practice. A simple watch can also be a great help if you are having issues and you know distances.
2011-05-13 9:38 AM

User image

Champion
The last few days have been crazy on my end. I'm gearing my team up for our 2nd run at nationals sunday, have been trying to get out to ride enough (sorta working), and just had a high fashion shoot on wed that went really well.

Those of you that do this with kids and a 50+ work week get huge props from me.
2011-05-13 10:46 AM

Ontario, Canada

I'm finally feeling about 80%, thankfully because I've done next to nothing for the past week or so.  This morning I was up by 5:00 a.m. and out skating the roads by 6:00 a.m.  I managed about 13 kms before I had to pack it in.  Not a long distance, by no means, but at least I felt relatively okay with the exertion. 

The weather here is supposed to turn to rain for the next 5 days so I'll be doing all indoor workouts.  Tomorrow I'm planning on running on the treadmill ... I haven't run in a while so I'll see how that goes.  I'm hoping that I'll be up to 90% tomorrow, but who knows.  This virus has really knocked me on my behind.   

2011-05-13 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3497178

Ontario, Canada

newbz - 2011-05-13 10:38 AM The last few days have been crazy on my end. I'm gearing my team up for our 2nd run at nationals sunday, have been trying to get out to ride enough (sorta working), and just had a high fashion shoot on wed that went really well. Those of you that do this with kids and a 50+ work week get huge props from me.

I was wondering where you've been    Good luck on Sunday!!!!

2011-05-13 7:06 PM
in reply to: #3497371

User image

Champion
Jewel22 - 2011-05-13 9:48 AM

newbz - 2011-05-13 10:38 AM The last few days have been crazy on my end. I'm gearing my team up for our 2nd run at nationals sunday, have been trying to get out to ride enough (sorta working), and just had a high fashion shoot on wed that went really well. Those of you that do this with kids and a 50+ work week get huge props from me.

I was wondering where you've been Good luck on Sunday!!!!

Thanks!

here is a bit of what i've been up to when not coaching:

Fashion/people work: http://dcsphotography.carbonmade.com/projects/3067797#1

Sports: http://davidsavoiesports.blogspot.com/
2011-05-14 12:32 PM

User image

Regular
Knoxville, TN

My event went good this morning...my miles were less than I was hoping for, i rode 31 miles.  My cycling buddy had some mechanical and physical issues  and ended up getting a ride in the SAG wagon at about mile 12.  I went on alone (with the hundreds of other ppl out there Smile) and I did really good even though I opted for the shorter course due to time constraints of being delayed a bit waiting on the wagon to come...I think i averaged about 15 mph and that's good for me...it was a VERY VERY hilly course....which is the lesson of the day...nutrition is important!!  my legs are really fatigued so that tells me that Im not riding enuf....all and all it was a great day and the rain that "they" promised held off for us.

Have a great weekend...

2011-05-14 5:27 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
In Knoxville and starting to get the usual pre race nerves. This morning I went on the organized swim and I have to say that the Tennessee river here in Knoxville is pretty murky. I don't know if it is always like this or if the rains / flooding have affected it but I felt like I needed a bath in disinfectant when I got out. Also got in 8 miles on the bike and 2 miles running so it is all over but the waiting.

My wife and I met several pros and they were all as nice as could be. Very down to earth folks. We were going to try to meet leegoocrap at Cavanaughs but we ran out of time. Oh well. Good luck to all of the BT folks racing tomorrow.

We have to leave pretty soon after the race to get back to MI so the race report may have to wait til Monday. Wish me luck.
2011-05-14 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3499156

Ontario, Canada

wannabefaster - 2011-05-14 6:27 PM In Knoxville ........ Wish me luck.

Absolutely, good luck!!!!  Hope you have a great race and will look forward to reading your race report.

Edited by Jewel22 2011-05-14 8:14 PM
2011-05-15 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com

For those that were asking about swim coaches, I joined a local swimming masters group. They do coached sessions everyday, but I try to make at least 2 a week. Seems like I learn something new almost everytime, and they always push you to do better and go harder. The is a link on their site to the US Masters Swimming Assocation, most areas have a masters group. I pay $55 a month, it is a great deal for quality training, they also have a TRI team so I get discounts off some races too!

My masters group's website is www.conejovalleymultisportmasters.com 

Hope this helps. 

2011-05-16 9:22 AM

Happy Monday Everyone!

I am heading to the doc in just a bit to have my right quad/hip checked out.  It got better and now seems worse.  I give up!  I got a little training in this weekend, some run and bike interval sessions.  The leg and hip feel good when in use, just rough about 12 to 24 hours later.  I will post an update later today.  I am planning on a swim after the doc visit! 

BTW!  The Columbus/Hilton Triathlon was cancelled due to permit issues and resident complaints about a prior 1/2 marathon.  Really crappy!  I had really trained for this one, but I will find another to do.  It was scheduled for next Sunday.

I will check the post to see how everyone done over the weekend. 

Take Care!

Jeffrey

2011-05-16 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3501309

User image

Champion
How did knoxville go? Hope it was a blast!

My kids did amazingly well this weekend, all 3 boats I took up qualified for nationals and two of them walked away with very convincing wins of 11 and 31 seconds over 2nd place (in a 2000m race).
2011-05-16 10:01 PM

Hip Leg Pain Report

It appears that I have somehow twisted my 5th lumbar.  I have an anti inflammatory patch on it now.  The doc said that I could train and race if I can take the pain.  I can.  Got a good cardio  and swim in tonight.  BTW, the patch is on the pain area on the quad not the lumbar.  It actually feels pretty good right now.  The transdermal stuff really hits fast.  I will be ready for a week from Sunday!

I hope you are all pain free, fast, and younger than me!  LOL

Jeffrey

2011-05-16 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3501420

Good for you and your kids!
2011-05-17 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3503005

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
jeffrey71 - 2011-05-16 10:01 PM

Hip Leg Pain Report

It appears that I have somehow twisted my 5th lumbar.  I have an anti inflammatory patch on it now.  The doc said that I could train and race if I can take the pain.  I can.  Got a good cardio  and swim in tonight.  BTW, the patch is on the pain area on the quad not the lumbar.  It actually feels pretty good right now.  The transdermal stuff really hits fast.  I will be ready for a week from Sunday!

Jeffrey

Yow!  The words "twisted lumbar" made me cringe!

Take care of it and keep it up.  And I was about to whine about my sore feet...hah!

2011-05-17 1:17 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Race directing is over!  No one drowned!  I literally shake with nerves every year while the racers are in the water. 

Everything seemed to go well and so far all the comments I'm getting have been really positive.  Over 120 people became first time triathletes this weekend!  The overall female winner was actually a first timer believe it or not.  She smoked the course.
2011-05-17 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3503005

Ontario, Canada
jeffrey71 - 2011-05-16 11:01 PM

Hip Leg Pain Report

Jeffrey

Hopefully the injury won't give you too much pain in your race!!

2011-05-17 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3504293

Ontario, Canada

sesh - 2011-05-17 2:17 PM Race directing is over!  No one drowned!  I literally shake with nerves every year while the racers are in the water. 

Everything seemed to go well and so far all the comments I'm getting have been really positive.  Over 120 people became first time triathletes this weekend!  The overall female winner was actually a first timer believe it or not.  She smoked the course.

That'd be absolutely awful if something happened to one of the swimmers.  The swimming part is what really has me nervous.  Even though I can swim & have recently taken lessons, the swimming is a concern.  I plan on taking open water lessons as well.  It's just a matter of time right now & since I'm not planning on a tri until next season, I figure I've got the time. 

Glad to hear that everything went really well!!!

As for me, I'm now finally at about 90% so I've started back into my workouts.  Yesterday I ran 30 minutes in the morning, then swam laps for 35 minutes later in the day.  But, the swimming was tough and I had a hard time with breathing.  This cold/virus thing was causing problems during the swim, along with a jerk that was there as well. 

This clown had absolutely no concept of the flow of the laps at the pool and was swimming up & back in the same line, rather than back down the centre.   We almost collided a few times & I told him what the system was but he ignored me.  The lifeguard apparently couldn't see what he was doing and when I mentioned it, I was told that he'd figure it out.  It was a new lifeguard.  I got out of the pool and spoke with the lead guard who sorted the jerk out.  I'm sure both him and the lifeguard weren't happy with me, but it was a matter of safety.  At the time there were a half dozen of us trying to swim laps. 

An indoor workout for me this morning because of the rain & cold.  I did a cardio circuit (including some kickboxing drills) mixed in with a few rounds of weights.

2011-05-17 3:07 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Here is my race report from Knoxville.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

It took me long enough to get to it. The time is a PR for me on a significantly more difficult course than my previous olympic races.

Overall very happy with this race and now I have a gauge where my fitness is and where I need to go.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' group, Winter is finally over, right? FULL! Rss Feed  

of 14