of 84

2011-05-04 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3481564

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
cherifortin - 2011-05-04 10:28 AM

I was mid- post (getting the kids off to school when you closed your group...hoping we can squeeze in under the wire! 

Here is my Bio...

NAME: usernames (hubby and wife): cherifortin and kentkillsit / first name: Cheri and Kent

STORY: We are new to triathlons but am already obsessed.  I (Cheri) did first sprint tri last Sunday and know I can do better.  Kent, after watching friends do HIM and  encourageming me is eager to start his own training.

FAMILY STATUS: We are married to eachother!     We are both college professors and have 2 kids (7 and 10).  

CURRENT TRAINING:   I train an average 3 hours of strength training and 5-6 hours a week of tri, I am good on the bike and slow in run and I nearly drowned in the pool.  Kent is just starting off with his tri training and likely will be strongest in the run since that is what he has been trianing in. He has run a half marathon and runs and does strength training 3x week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I am doing the Almaden Oly, and the Tri-girl-tri Sprint and maybe we will both do the Pumpkin Head Oly in Vegas....

WEIGHTLOSS: Both of us want to lose weight...20-40 lbs would be great for us.

You're in, I guess... Shoot questions!

2011-05-04 5:45 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Master

Below is the link to Jorge's website with the cycling plan and all you need to know about it:

http://coachjorgem.blogspot.com/p/cycling-plan.html

Research it - embark on the plan - and then enjoy the suffering. I never thought a three minute all out effort (test) could be so grueling or painful.  Best worst three minutes you can imagine.

2011-05-04 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3482454

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

I bookmarked it, but I'll wait till after the Tri on the 14th to start it.  

I am going to do speedwork with a running group tonight.  First time I'm doing this...I'm a bit nervous!

2011-05-04 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3481363

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - OPEN
evillarroel - 2011-05-04 7:52 AM
sirgab - 2011-05-03 6:39 PM
evillarroel - 2011-05-02 4:45 PM
sirgab - 2011-05-02 2:08 PM

Gabriel,

There’s always a proportion of carbs that you will use to fuel your workouts, that’s why we take take gels and sport drinks during races and do the “carbo loads” before. However, fats are a never ending supply of fuel for your workouts. We all need to optimize fat utilization so we can endure more, but this is only achieved over time and teaching your body by going slow during long training sessions.

About your upcoming Oly, make tomorrow your last workout (preferably an interval run of short duration). For execution, since this is your first one I would recommend you take it easy (particularly during the bike) and when you hit t2 start your run slow. Think about saving half the energies for the last third of the run and you’ll do fine.

My other advice is if you’re not having fun, you’re going too fast! Only Sprints are meant to hurt 100% of the time. Smile always, thank the volunteers and enjoy the pleasure of racing and being healthy.

E

Ernesto,

Thanks for your advise, I will try to take it easy during the bike as you say and save my energies for the last part of my run.  More importantly, I totally agree that it's key to have fun and to enjoy the pleasure of racing and being healthy (+ I always thank the volunteers Smile).

In terms of your Texas Full IM, let us know what your goal is and how your training is going? Are you feeling well prepared for it?  We will be looking forward to your updates and wish you the best!

Cheers,

Gabriel

@Markz, thanks for posting your race report, it was inspiring to read, congrats again on a great job finishing your 1st IM!

2011-05-04 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3482514

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - OPEN
sirgab - 2011-05-04 6:16 PM
evillarroel - 2011-05-04 7:52 AM
sirgab - 2011-05-03 6:39 PM
evillarroel - 2011-05-02 4:45 PM
sirgab - 2011-05-02 2:08 PM

Gabriel,

There’s always a proportion of carbs that you will use to fuel your workouts, that’s why we take take gels and sport drinks during races and do the “carbo loads” before. However, fats are a never ending supply of fuel for your workouts. We all need to optimize fat utilization so we can endure more, but this is only achieved over time and teaching your body by going slow during long training sessions.

About your upcoming Oly, make tomorrow your last workout (preferably an interval run of short duration). For execution, since this is your first one I would recommend you take it easy (particularly during the bike) and when you hit t2 start your run slow. Think about saving half the energies for the last third of the run and you’ll do fine.

My other advice is if you’re not having fun, you’re going too fast! Only Sprints are meant to hurt 100% of the time. Smile always, thank the volunteers and enjoy the pleasure of racing and being healthy.

E

Ernesto,

Thanks for your advise, I will try to take it easy during the bike as you say and save my energies for the last part of my run.  More importantly, I totally agree that it's key to have fun and to enjoy the pleasure of racing and being healthy (+ I always thank the volunteers Smile).

In terms of your Texas Full IM, let us know what your goal is and how your training is going? Are you feeling well prepared for it?  We will be looking forward to your updates and wish you the best!

Cheers,

Gabriel

@Markz, thanks for posting your race report, it was inspiring to read, congrats again on a great job finishing your 1st IM!

Thanks for the good wishes Gabe. I feel strong and ready for this training madness to be over with. Lately I've been feeling that my workouts are like some sort of obligation and I'm not really happy about that. This is however part of the normal Ironman training, you're sometimes pushing too close on the recoveries.My bike is very good, swimming is good too but for the run I know the heat and humidity are going to hit me hard. All athletes' performance declines in the heat but I'm particularly affected by it.All that said, I'm going to try to break twelve hours but I'm not beating myself up if I don't make it that fast. Just a finish is a tremendous endeavor. Right, Mark? I was able to finish Arizona in 12:14 almost two years ago so I think I might be able to do it.
2011-05-04 10:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

We are all cheering for you!

2011-05-04 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3482876

User image

Regular
jenputnam - 2011-05-04 11:17 PM

We are all cheering for you!

Jen, I was looking at your logs (and some others) to kind of get an idea of how people are training themselves... your Sunday workouts for April are pretty darn intense. Are you doing these as brick sets or different times of the day?

2011-05-04 11:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

I thought my Tri was 2.5 short of an Olympic distance.  I looked at the site again and realized I was off by 10miles in the bike.  With that I think that although I need a lot of work I may have overtrained (See training log).  I am bummed because I really wanted to do an Olympic but since I have just started traing again 3 months or so ago figured it may be a good thing..  

Did speed work tonight for the first time...  On a 400meter straight we ran 1 minute sprints then jogged to the end.  Did this 8 times..  Warmed up with a 1 mile jog..high knees and butt kicks, cool down was squats and side steps with a 1 mile jog back...  I am doing a 1 mile time challenge next week. Last one was 7:43 (fastest in my life).

2011-05-05 6:58 AM
in reply to: #3482917

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-05-04 11:07 PM

I thought my Tri was 2.5 short of an Olympic distance.  I looked at the site again and realized I was off by 10miles in the bike.  With that I think that although I need a lot of work I may have overtrained (See training log).  I am bummed because I really wanted to do an Olympic but since I have just started traing again 3 months or so ago figured it may be a good thing..  

Did speed work tonight for the first time...  On a 400meter straight we ran 1 minute sprints then jogged to the end.  Did this 8 times..  Warmed up with a 1 mile jog..high knees and butt kicks, cool down was squats and side steps with a 1 mile jog back...  I am doing a 1 mile time challenge next week. Last one was 7:43 (fastest in my life).

I love speedwork and its pain. You'll learn to love it too. Even though you need a big aerobic base, the speedwork teaches the brain to go fast so it is absolutely necessary.

I'm glad you had a great workout!

2011-05-05 8:58 AM
in reply to: #3481274

User image

South Jersey
Subject: RE: Intro
Ernest and gang-Thank you for having me.  I went back and read the previous post to glean from all the wisdom already posted. (The Big Book is ordered!)  I'm 37F, wife & mother of two.  I'm a newborn when it comes to Tri's.  Not sure what's got into me, but I find myself drooling over an upcoming Tri in my area.  It's just 5 weeks away.  I can individually cover the distances of the race, slowly but continuously, as of present.  Should do a mock run, all three in a row to make sure I can finish?  Can I expect to duplicate my best training times (race day) or will I lose a percentage because of doing all three in a row?

Another immediate question I have is about the bike.  I thought I would have to prove to my husband that I'm sticking with this before he would consent to a purchase.  However, after seeing me frustrated after a ride, I saw a glimmer of hope   On downhill (this is flat Jersey,they are minor), I am spinning like crazy and not getting any speed.  Is this my bike?  Is it me?  Is it just the nature of going slightly down?  Any recommendations for a purchase?  Looking used Tri beginner bike, 1-2k range, hoping to find someone upgrading? 

For a Sprint Race, should I be prepared for a flat tire?

Ernest, one post you said, "Only sprints should hurt 100% time"  Do you mean a Sprint Tri, you should be pushing 100% or a sprint as in interval? 

One more ?,  I've read a lot about Heart Rate (Garmin) in previous post.  I don't have one, I have a very basic HR monitor that I rarely use.  Should I be using it?  Should I be investing in a Garmin?

Lots a questions, I realize everyone is pressed for time and currently training.  I appreciate any help I can get   Thanks so much...Joy
2011-05-05 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3482895

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I looked at my log and the last column is my total weekly time.  Sunday's are only swims.  I've started trying to add my nutrition to it since I know I am not eating enough and that is adversely affecting not only my training but probably why I can't loose the fat percentage...  

2011-05-05 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3483348

User image

Master
Dallas
JulDee - 2011-05-05 8:58 AM
Ernest and gang-Thank you for having me.  I went back and read the previous post to glean from all the wisdom already posted. (The Big Book is ordered!)  I'm 37F, wife & mother of two.  I'm a newborn when it comes to Tri's.  Not sure what's got into me, but I find myself drooling over an upcoming Tri in my area.  It's just 5 weeks away.  I can individually cover the distances of the race, slowly but continuously, as of present.  Should do a mock run, all three in a row to make sure I can finish?  Can I expect to duplicate my best training times (race day) or will I lose a percentage because of doing all three in a row?

Another immediate question I have is about the bike.  I thought I would have to prove to my husband that I'm sticking with this before he would consent to a purchase.  However, after seeing me frustrated after a ride, I saw a glimmer of hope   On downhill (this is flat Jersey,they are minor), I am spinning like crazy and not getting any speed.  Is this my bike?  Is it me?  Is it just the nature of going slightly down?  Any recommendations for a purchase?  Looking used Tri beginner bike, 1-2k range, hoping to find someone upgrading? 

For a Sprint Race, should I be prepared for a flat tire?

Ernest, one post you said, "Only sprints should hurt 100% time"  Do you mean a Sprint Tri, you should be pushing 100% or a sprint as in interval? 

One more ?,  I've read a lot about Heart Rate (Garmin) in previous post.  I don't have one, I have a very basic HR monitor that I rarely use.  Should I be using it?  Should I be investing in a Garmin?

Lots a questions, I realize everyone is pressed for time and currently training.  I appreciate any help I can get   Thanks so much...Joy

Ok, here we go:

-         Yes, you can finish the race if you can complete all three distances separately. No doubt. You may have a little epiphany on race day about losing or winning time when you put them together, but I’ll leave that up to you (is good to have surprises every now and then).

-         You should know how to change a tire regardless of the distance, it can happen in training and it will happen in a race sooner or later. Go to a bike shop and have them teach you, it’s very easy. I don’t believe in dropping out of a race due to flats and I have two examples: Toyota US Open 2009 (had two flats, fixed them and then had the best triathlon 10K run ever) and Ironman Austin 70.3 (had a flat that I couldn’t fix on mile 48 and still pedaled all the way to T2 8 miles on a flat rear tire). Triathlons are meant to be finished unless you have medical issues or feel that your health and safety are threatened, this can be avoided with the proper training. I know people that has walked with their bikes on their shoulder all the way to transition.

-         When I do Sprints I redline the whole thing only because the distance is not a challenge for me, so I make the challenge by going as fast as I can. This should not be your goal for now, you should pursuing a fun, relaxed race with a smile on your face from wire to wire.

-         Heart rate is the best way to measure effort and progress. The Garmin Forerunner 305 is bomb proof and it provides tons of useful data. I encourage you to buy one, they are only $150 at Best Buy or Amazon.

-         About the bike, if you can afford 2K you don’t have to purchase a used rig. A brand new (great bike) goes for $1.5K or so. Then you can start upgrading components (i.e.: race wheels, carbon cockpit, crankset, etc) over the years. The important thing is to get a bike with a good frameset. I can point you to many brands and styles, a good fit is VERY important though.

2011-05-05 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3483348

User image

South Jersey
I added everyone to my "friends list"  - new to the forum thing too, hopefully now you can view my training log.  I just started to fill it out this week.
2011-05-05 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3483445

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Welcome!

2011-05-05 3:37 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN

Ernesto,

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 (which I love).   Should I buy a bike mount and a cadence sensor for it? I do have a bike computer, but basically all that gives me is mph and it doesn't upload to Garmin Connect.  (Right now my bike workouts get uploaded without cadence data because I wear it on my wrist while riding).

Chris

2011-05-05 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3484207

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-05-05 3:37 PM

Ernesto,

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 (which I love).   Should I buy a bike mount and a cadence sensor for it? I do have a bike computer, but basically all that gives me is mph and it doesn't upload to Garmin Connect.  (Right now my bike workouts get uploaded without cadence data because I wear it on my wrist while riding).

Chris

I have a cadence sensor and it is a very important tool for endurance training, the bike mount is more of a “luxury” if you want. Turnover rate is extremely important, I try to keep my legs firing 90-95RPM for both bike and run too. While I’m riding I look at the cadence and if I’m below 90 I shift a cog up or my chainring down, over 105 is not really good for long distance but it is nice for some very specific training sessions.

After you buy it (if you do) ask me again and I’ll tell you what you want to see on the front of the Garmin (settings) as you ride and what you need to look for as far as turnover rate at different parts, etc.

2011-05-05 6:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

I did my swim workout today and it felt like my first time in the pool.  I was supposed to do 6 sets of 75 fast but I really couldn't.  I focused on my pull and I kicked more that I have have before.  

After about 500yards I wanted to through in the towel..I toughed it out and made it the 1350 and the end did feel slightly easier but my heart rate was up.

Could the focus on the pull and kicking on top of yesterday's speed work kill me like that?

2011-05-05 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3484433

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-05-05 6:08 PM

I did my swim workout today and it felt like my first time in the pool.  I was supposed to do 6 sets of 75 fast but I really couldn't.  I focused on my pull and I kicked more that I have have before.  

After about 500yards I wanted to through in the towel..I toughed it out and made it the 1350 and the end did feel slightly easier but my heart rate was up.

Could the focus on the pull and kicking on top of yesterday's speed work kill me like that?

Absolutely. The good news is that it will only hurt for a couple sessions.Keep in mind that by pulling better you exert more energy but it propels you much faster.
2011-05-05 8:09 PM

User image

Regular
Mexico
Hi Ernesto and fellow BT members, sorry I was MIA, or should I said MIWork? but I'm back and ready to roll. this afternoon I was swiming indoors with this new garmin 310 XT and when I upload the info, nothing hapened, I just don't see the benefit of the swimm feature. or Am I doing something wrong?
2011-05-05 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3484598

User image

Master
Dallas
Fer Cuevas - 2011-05-05 8:09 PMHi Ernesto and fellow BT members, sorry I was MIA, or should I said MIWork? but I'm back and ready to roll. this afternoon I was swiming indoors with this new garmin 310 XT and when I upload the info, nothing hapened, I just don't see the benefit of the swimm feature. or Am I doing something wrong?
Fernando,I have never used a 310 xt but I believe the swimming features are for open water, indoors it is nothing more than a chronometer. Also, heart rate monitors do not work underwater (at least the traditional ones).
2011-05-05 8:55 PM

User image

Regular
Mexico
I feared that, in this case how can I track the HR while swimming?

Edited by Fer Cuevas 2011-05-05 8:56 PM

2011-05-05 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3484654

User image

Master
Dallas
Fer Cuevas - 2011-05-05 8:55 PM
I feared that, in this case how can I track the HR while swimming?

Surprisingly, everybody's heart rate is lower than perceived while swimming. Either way, I don't think HR data from the pool actually makes any difference.
2011-05-05 9:18 PM

User image

Regular
Mexico
In that case, what should I look for while swimming? what is gonna be my progress indicator? some sort of RPE?
2011-05-05 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3484634

User image

Expert
Guatemala
evillarroel - 2011-05-05 7:40 PM
Fer Cuevas - 2011-05-05 8:09 PMHi Ernesto and fellow BT members, sorry I was MIA, or should I said MIWork? but I'm back and ready to roll. this afternoon I was swiming indoors with this new garmin 310 XT and when I upload the info, nothing hapened, I just don't see the benefit of the swimm feature. or Am I doing something wrong?
Fernando,I have never used a 310 xt but I believe the swimming features are for open water, indoors it is nothing more than a chronometer. Also, heart rate monitors do not work underwater (at least the traditional ones).
Fer, like Ernesto mentioned, the 310XT is not meant to track indoor swim workouts. However, here is a good link fron dcrainmaker with info on using it for open water swims. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/06/new-garmin-forerunner-310xt-open...
2011-05-05 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3484273

User image

Regular
evillarroel - 2011-05-05 4:59 PM
older2533 - 2011-05-05 3:37 PM

Ernesto,

Chris

I have a cadence sensor and it is a very important tool for endurance training, the bike mount is more of a “luxury” if you want. Turnover rate is extremely important, I try to keep my legs firing 90-95RPM for both bike and run too. While I’m riding I look at the cadence and if I’m below 90 I shift a cog up or my chainring down, over 105 is not really good for long distance but it is nice for some very specific training sessions.

After you buy it (if you do) ask me again and I’ll tell you what you want to see on the front of the Garmin (settings) as you ride and what you need to look for as far as turnover rate at different parts, etc.

Ernesto, please share what I want to see on the front. I am using my FR305 for all-in-one. Also, how do I set my goal to maintain a certain cadence level? I assume it is different stroker for different folks.

Chris, don't get the FR305's advertised bike mount. It works more like launch pad than mount (warning: second-hand information!). Get the Garmin 405 mount... it works on 305 as well.

Edited by ironbaby 2011-05-05 9:58 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84