BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-06-17 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3553529

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED
Kido - 2011-06-16 7:56 PM

It's been a very busy week, that's for sure...  Lots going on so my training has REALLY slipping.

There have been lots of things going on at the house, investigating a possible new career, upgrading to a new computer which takes forever with all the progams and settings and pictures and music that need to get transfered...  PLUS, you may or may not know from another thread, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer a week ago...    TOTALLY curable, almost routine, but it's nerve wracking all the same...  Plus I have insurance issues since I was between jobs.  Perfect timing, right???  Anyway, I will be working computers again this weekend (may persue my programming hobby and turn it into something to make money!) but I also hope to get some training in.  IMAZ is not going to train for itself!  haha!  Have a good weekend everyone if I don't get a hold of you... 

About those training plans I needed to look at.  With the computer changes, it's taking a while to get software loaded back up to open them...  I promise to get to it.

Sorry to hear about that A friend of mine recently had hers removed... took a while to get over but she's fine now. I hope all the treatment goes well for you too, will be sending you lots of good vibes.

I've been training with a triathlon group for the last 2 weeks and they've given me such good tips about everything... and are using me as a example of how NOT to run haha. They video'd me and i appear to run like a duck! lol.

Was knocked out for a few days with asthma then a 3 day migraine/sickness... not sure what happened there but i'm back up and running now, phew! Think I was over-doing it at work (plus training). I feel great again now and ready for a 500m swim (relay, swim leg) followed by a 8km run (fathers day fun run for charity) this Sunday. YAY!

Hope everyone's weekends are looking good!

Kat

2011-06-17 12:42 PM
in reply to: #3554239

User image

New user
chsdaddy - 2011-06-17 9:04 AM

Bike race this weekend, Tour de Los Alamos.  I did it in 2006 in 1:48, so that's my goal time to beat.  Supposed to be windy, hopefully a tailwind on the climbs!

GOOD LUCK!!! :-D

2011-06-17 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3554458

User image

Regular
Los Alamos
gokat - 2011-06-17 11:42 AM
chsdaddy - 2011-06-17 9:04 AM

Bike race this weekend, Tour de Los Alamos.  I did it in 2006 in 1:48, so that's my goal time to beat.  Supposed to be windy, hopefully a tailwind on the climbs!

GOOD LUCK!!! :-D

And good luck to you too!

2011-06-17 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3440446

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

Sorry to hear about the thyroid cancer..  Dad has been dealing with thyroid issue for as long as I can remember. 

2011-06-18 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3555138

User image

manchester, UK

sorry to here about that man, sure itl all b ok!

competed in a 1 mile swim event today, 31.32. biggest open water swim event in europe aparently, conditions were awful. but on the brightside finished in the top 25% of the event of 14,000 swimmers, kinda pleased with that

now time to concentrate on getting my running up to a good standard

hope everyone is well

2011-06-18 5:07 PM

Kido--Sorry to hear about your thyroid getting sick and all the other challenges you are facing right now.  I will pray for you.  Definitely can relate to having so much going on that training is slipping--I thought I would have more time once summer arrived!  Oh well, I don't feel quite as sore, not working out as much--ugh!  Well, next week was supposed to be a "recovery week"--looks like I just am taking it early!  Went to the bike shop--finally. Mostly looked and visited with the manager.   Thinking I might just wear a tankini for the August sprint I am entering.  Bike shorts made me feel like I had a diaper on-LOL-but I am sure they would be comfortable if you are riding a long ways.  Don't think I'm quite ready to invest in clipless pedals--would like to get a road bike first to put them on.  Next shopping day, I will look at higher-end running shoes, to see if that helps with the overall soreness of my legs and feet.   Kat--I wish I could find a tri-club too--sounds like they are really helpful to you!  They would probably also make fun of my running, too! Best wishes to everyone in their training and upcoming races!  I am off to ride my exercise bike--it is just too rainy today for me to find the motivation to go outside and ride any distance!  Something is better than nothing, right?

2011-06-18 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3537131

stefanieharvey - 2011-06-07 9:58 AM

Hi all,

The week of the Memorial Day long weekend got in 6 workouts, even while on a silent retreat.  Yay!

Sadly, I got struck by a Spring cold and that dropped down to 3.  Starting this week with a run, and have scheduled a swim lesson to learn the freestyle stroke (I currently use the breaststroke.)

Hope all are well!

Stef

So, how did the lesson go?  I have been building endurance using the breaststroke as my "primary" stroke and gradually transitioning to more freestyle.  Started with four breast/one free, because I was so winded( out of shape!) after swimming just one pool length of freestyle. Did a couple weeks each of 3/1 and 2/1.  Next week, I am going to try alternating, one length  (25 yds) of each.  Then I plan to gradually increase the freestyle lengths and then laps.  I really prefer the breaststroke, plus most people don't do the "flip turn" with it, which is another thing I should work on, for speed, I suppose.  Hope you are doing well too!

2011-06-19 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

Kido - bad news on the thyroid! Glad to hear that the treatment is expected to go well. My grandmother and boyfriend are both without their thyroids and aside from the daily Synthroid, they are no worse for the wear. Hope all else falls in line with your life as well. Sounds like a bit of a rough go for you right now. My thoughts are with you! 

2011-06-19 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

Bricked the actual course for my race this morning. Biked the 14.3 and ran the 3.1 in just over 81 minutes (not including the "transition time"). Considering I haven't run since Memorial Day, I was pretty happy with that time. 

Sounds like everyone else is working hard too - keep up the good work! 

2011-06-20 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3556423

User image

Sensei
Sin City

How is everyone doing?  Good I hope!  I had a relaxing day of training.  It felt REALLY good and positive to get out of the dumps and move...

I hope eveyone is training and enjoying the summer.  I'm going to hit up everyone's logs and check up!

2011-06-20 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3559006

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I am sorry that I have been a bit "out of it" recently an not around...

So let's get this party started up again!  Second wind and all.  Let me know if there is anything I can offer/do/provide...  Anything on your mind?

Tips on motivation?  Training?  Swim/bike/run technique or form?  Race tips?

Let me know!  I really want this thread to be helpfull.

2011-06-20 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3559024

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
Kido - 2011-06-20 9:44 PM

I am sorry that I have been a bit "out of it" recently an not around...

So let's get this party started up again!  Second wind and all.  Let me know if there is anything I can offer/do/provide...  Anything on your mind?

Tips on motivation?  Training?  Swim/bike/run technique or form?  Race tips?

Let me know!  I really want this thread to be helpfull.

I could really use some motivation tips...  I like racing, but hate training, or as my massage therapist said just exercising.  She said try looking at it as just exercising and not training, has not really helped.

I have tried having clothes out and ready in the morning, but it is the get up and go that is the problem.

2011-06-20 11:23 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=257498&posts=1&start=1

Race report from bike race on Sunday.  I am sick and tired of the wind.  20-25 with gusts to 40 all day Sunday.  Oh well builds character and mental toughness.  This was a race that had pros and "citizens" on the same course.  Pretty cool to be out there with guys in a real peleton that can pass you going uphill into the wind like your standing still.  Well actually its demoralizing.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/37469346

This is the route.  If nothing else check it out for the website www.mapmyride.com. On the map click on the 3d button in the upper righthand corner.  It does a 3d google earth flyover. I have used this tool to "scout" unfamiliar routes and race routes so you have an idea of what it looks like before you get there.  Maybe its weird but I visualize the race during prep and training.

July 16th is the next tri, signed up tonight as a clydesdale (for this race cutoff is 210lbs) and I am getting dangerously close at 214 this morning!!!!Laughing  Thats 32 lbs since January.

2011-06-21 9:43 AM

User image

manchester, UK

i like to watch this before training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSYtQy9EqTA&feature=related

i can run through a brick wall after seeing it lol

2011-06-21 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3559730

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Ah, elusive motivation.   Well, first of all, everyone is unique, so what motivates other may not work for you.  But here are some things that I found that work.

First and foremost, if you can work to just get into the HABIT of training, like brushing your teeth or eating, then it requires less motivation in general.  You just do it as part of your day.  But it's hard to get to that point, and even then, there are those days...

Select a big race or goal.  Training just to train is sometimes hard.  Having a reason/goal, gives you the extra push to get out there.

Get a partner.  If you set up a long ride or run or day at the pool with a partner, then I find myself getting out there even on days a completely don't want to train, just because I'm obligated.

Still try to have fun with it.  Not in the mood for your usual ride?  Go mountain biking instead.  Don't want to go outside?  Slap the bike on the trainer and watch a movie while you spin.  Take a spin class instead of outside.  Do a trail run (those are SUPER fun) instead of the same old road run you normally do.  Just think about what sounds FUN at that moment of indecision.

In even more dire cases:  Don't feel like running but a bike ride sounds enjoyable?  Swap a few workouts around (but still try to keep a balance).

I found listening to audio books or podcasts while on the trainer or running is nice.  Especially if it's a good book that I'm looking forward to reading/listening to anyway.

As for early morning workouts?  I have never been good at those, but when I have to do them, I just go into "zombie mode".  I don't think about anything.  Just get up and start moving.  If I lay in bed trying to figure out a way to stay in bed longer or move workouts around during the week to do it later?  I skip it.

Set smaller goals.  Sometimes a race that's 3-4 months off just seems to far away.  So maybe set weekly goals like training for 4 hours in a week.  Even those tiny benchmarks feel good when you do them.

New gear or outfit works on some people..  Not me.  A new bike jersey doesn't get me out there.  A new carbon fiber bike?  Maybe! 

2011-06-21 1:17 PM

User image

New user

I've found integrating my training into my work day really useful. I bike to work almost every day, and extend it on the way home sometimes to get more of a workout.

I'm not a morning person either, so I only do one early morning training session a week (a swim lesson in a pool) otherwise i just wouldn't train :-) And if i'm planning to train after work, I'll make sure i go straight from work, otherwise if i get home and sit down, i just won't get up again! Then i always think to myself "oh once this training is done, i'll be able to go home and eat!". Turns out that food is a real motivation for me, hah :-)

Joining a club has worked wonders over the last couple of weeks too and it's so much fun. Being part of the team, having optional group training sessions i can attend almost every day, and wearing the team colours makes me feel great, so maybe i'm one of those people that is motivated by new gear too...!

2011-06-21 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3560322

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
gokat - 2011-06-21 2:17 PM

I'm not a morning person either... I'll make sure i go straight from work, otherwise if i get home and sit down, i just won't get up again! Then i always think to myself "oh once this training is done, i'll be able to go home and eat!". Turns out that food is a real motivation for me, hah :-)

Ditto for me... I picked my gym based partially on the fact that it is on my way home from work, so I don't have the option of stopping at home first. It helped to develop the habit for me. Training is NOT an option for me, it is part of my scheduled day and as Kat mentioned, dinner is a real motivating factor! 

Edited by arquillo 2011-06-21 5:24 PM
2011-06-21 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

I have a question on dealing with high heat an humidity. The weather here in the Midwest has been quirky as all get out this year. Today was 91 with 67% humidity... as you might imagine my run did not go well. Any suggestions on acclimating to the crazy high heat?

I do drink TONS of water throughout the day and am a salt junky, so hydration shouldn't be an issue. 

2011-06-21 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3560949

User image

Sensei
Sin City
arquillo - 2011-06-21 3:29 PM

I have a question on dealing with high heat an humidity. The weather here in the Midwest has been quirky as all get out this year. Today was 91 with 67% humidity... as you might imagine my run did not go well. Any suggestions on acclimating to the crazy high heat?

I do drink TONS of water throughout the day and am a salt junky, so hydration shouldn't be an issue. 

Other than the obvious...  Wear light colors and light fabrics.  I HATE cotton.  Everything I have is that "dri fit" stuff.  Pick cooler times to train, etc.  I have a group that goes pretty early on the weekends, to beat the heat.  Other than working out in the heat, there is really no real way to acclimatize.  You DO get more used to it.  Your body changes...

2011-06-22 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3561179

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Good morning group!  What's in store for you today?  I have a short bike and short swim...  Probably just make one trip to the gym and do both (trainer and pool).
2011-06-22 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3562110

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

Kido - 2011-06-22 12:58 PM Good morning group!  What's in store for you today?  I have a short bike and short swim...  Probably just make one trip to the gym and do both (trainer and pool).

Had a really great swim today. Is there some standard or formula to get an idea of what an open water time might be for the same distance in a pool?

2011-06-22 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3562838

User image

Sensei
Sin City
arquillo - 2011-06-22 4:50 PM

Kido - 2011-06-22 12:58 PM Good morning group!  What's in store for you today?  I have a short bike and short swim...  Probably just make one trip to the gym and do both (trainer and pool).

Had a really great swim today. Is there some standard or formula to get an idea of what an open water time might be for the same distance in a pool?

For ME, and what I have seen other report, is that 100 yards in the pool WITHOUT a wetsuit is equal to an OWS WITH a wetsuit and a wetsuit usually gives you about 10 seconds/100 yards (more if you are a bad swimmer, less if you are a good swimmer).

Wetsuit advantage equals the advantage of pushing off the walls in many instances.

So, based on that, I would expect to be about 10 seconds slower per 100 in the open water.  That's ballpark, and everyone is different.

2011-06-23 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

I met up with a group yesterday, most of them belong to the Triatomics, Tri-Club for some run strengthening and conditioning drills.  I was impressed with the few drills we did and some little tips on run technique that made a difference in the effort I was putting out vs speed.  My wife and I joined the club, it's a small town so we already know quite few in the group, so looking forward to the help.  Several members are studs so the advice I know will help.

Pool today, bike tomorrow, run on Saturday.  Happy training to everyone.

2011-06-23 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3564320

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I knocked out my weekly long run today.  Well, it was more of a casual jog for 90 minutes.  Tried to keep the HR down, but with the heat and dehydratioin, it started to creep the last 1/3.

Keep that in mind with HR training.  Dehydration and heat will ellivate it, especially if you don't drink.  When that happens, I tend to slow a bit to keep if from getting TOO high, but also tend to switch more to preceived effort, knowing that my HR is artificially high at the end of a run.

2011-06-25 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3564962

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Long ride today.  Felt good...

So I visited with a personal trainer yesterday and was reminded about nutrition.  He mentioned that in terms of getting lean and losing fat.  Diet is at least 60% of the equation.  Just a reminder to be aware of what you put into you body, as much as what you are trying to get out of it (workout wise).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12